Thread: Quick battle difficulty

I use Quick Battles (the first choice on the menu) for a quick wargaming fix, and to practice against the AI. After many a defeat, I now find myself winning most of the time, even without the Pause button. I think the AI is on normal. Does anyone know for sure? and can it be increased to hard?

Also, there seems to be a finite repertoire of Quick Battle scenarios. I often get that hilly battle between Spain and Almohads and LOTS of Poles vs Germans battles I've played some battles 4 or 5 times

Is there a thread somewhere on this topic? (couldn't find it in a search).

Thx
    The plural of anectode is not data - Anonymous Scientist

I don't believe in superstition. It brings bad luck. - Umberto Eco

afraid i can't really help you, but here are my observations:

1. from within the game you cannot set the difficulty of a quick battle. You may be able to do so by modding the game, but I haven't looked close enough to see what needs to be changed and where.

2. i definitely agree with you that there's something wrong with the randomness of the quick battles. I have played a few dozens of them, and the first one that pops up is always italians vs french, same terrain & troops every time.
    I believe they store the random seed somewhere and always start by using that seed, because after that first battle, they start to vary. However, even then they vary among several fixed battles; the order they are given to me may vary, but most of them are always the same.
    There is something weird with it.
    btw, this is VI.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

Yep, there is something wrong. Look in the Quickstart folder and you'll see a decent amount of quick battles. However, very few actually seem to pop up.
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought too that some quick battles popped up more often than others, but after I started playing them more often (I don't always have enough time for a campaign game), I realized they were random. Random selection does not mean you get all battles equally often.
    The same thing happened on Warcraft III battlenet. Players complained that the random race selection wasn't random because they got the same race four times in a row. Sorry guys, but that's what random means.

Except that you always start with the Italians vs. the French. That definitly isn't random .
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thumbs up

I agree with the almost-random observation. I am playing V 1.1 and if I choose Quick Battle upon launching MTW, it is always Spain vs Almos. Italian vs French (the one with the Serpentine) is a common one, often the next. If I do ANYTHING with MTW (e.g load a campaign game), then the selection is definitely different.

Thumbs up

I meant to add more to the above post, but I hit return or something.

I figured it out . Move the battle configuration file from the QuickStart folder to Custom Games (choose Early/HIgh/Late as appropriate) then use the Single Player menu and choose Custom Game and you should see the game you moved. You can then adjust the difficulty.

Now I'll check out the diff between normal and hard. I also want to try the CPU side in these battles.

afrit

After playing French v. Italians, and Spain v. Almohads, so many times. I simply quit the game even before deployment, then click on Fight a new battle. Then one also gets many Viking games (one interesting game where the Irish keep bringing reinforcements).