Thread: 2 Multiplayer Questions

Question

Hi Everyone

I've been playing MP for a week now with a fellow noob and have a couple of questions to ask:

I only have a 56K modem which seems fine for a 1 v 1 and currently we've settled on 10 units each. Do you ever play less than 16 units in 2 v 2 etc. It would be nice to join a bigger game but not sure if my modem would handle it. Less units per side may enable this as well as make it easier to control. E.g. 6 units each, 1 could manage cavalry, another left flank etc.

There was a thread on adobt-a-noob where experienced members adopted a noob for a month and at the end the noob's took part in a tournament. Unfortunately this linked to another site that required a password?? Is anyone on this site willing to establish a similar tournament that would help the noob's along. Also it would be nice if the noob's could get together to battle until a little more experienced. Apart from playing my MP partner at the moment I don't interact with the other players on-line and their games/chat seem a little daunting.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

56k should work fine even for a 4v4. Its more a question of stability/quality of your line. Only way to find out is to join some of the bigger games. I know some 56k'ers that play 4v4 so it really shouldnt be a problem.

Another reason for lag is the PC and graphic settings. If you got a 1 Ghz or more you should have no problems playing 4v4.

That adobt-a-noob you mentioned is on www.totalwars.net I believe. All you have to do is register on that site, as you are not allowed to see most of the forums there if not registered.

CBR

Hello Yakobu. yes that tourney is there. just registrer.

go to www.clankenchikuka.com you can find me and my email adres there (Im Kenchi_Sulla), if our playing times match a bit, and if your "ahum" "new" enough, ill adopt you ;)

A good general must love his army, A great general must be able to order the death of the thing he loves.....

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

I play 4v4's on a 56k....it lags a bit but otherwise it's fine, i've never dropped from a 4v4, only the odd 3v3 and 2v2...

im on a 56k and i have no problems in a 4 on 4, the only time there is lag is when there are others in the game with an inferior PC, or connection.
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Im on 56k as well and nerver had any problems in 4v4 as long as everyone has a decent enough spec PC then shouldn't have any probs
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

In my experience RAM is your biggest asset with MTW. Go for 512 k and you're laughing.

yea, 512 or more is key to a lagless game, if everyone has a system with good specs, you are set
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

I get by pretty well on a 256, I can host a 1 vs 1 or
    2 vs 2. I haven't tried a 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 (hosting) but, I've joined games and have been just fine.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

JAKOBU

56K connection wont give you any problems.
    I used it for nearly 2 years and played in many 3v3 and 4v4 battles with full 16 unit armies.
    As CBR says, pc and graphics settings mostly cause the lag problem.
    If it helps you, I am playing with an 800MHz pc with Intel Celeron Intergrated Direct AGP (I dont have a graphics card as such).
    Don't let the chat/foyer put you off, a lot of it is just banter

.....Jochi
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

I used to have a 56K connection and it wasn't too bad at all.

Just rememebr to tone down the sound effects quality, remove the music, smoke and ambient fauna. Also removing the overview map tends to help as well.

Then you should be ok.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

Turn off the overview map?????? i cant defend properly without it. I use it to check if anyone is rushing my pav line whilst i';m on the otehr side of the field controlling my HA or summat.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH

Vanya sez...

1) If youz running Spybot, disable it before running MTW. It will just slow youz down unnecessarily. Same goes for other memory-resident hogs...

2) If youz have automatic virus scanner downloads, wait 'till it happens (or do it manually so it not surprise youz). This way, game not minimize in middle of battle because 'scanner window pops up tellin' youz youz got new e-rubbers.

3) Vanya sez... Unless its really low florin, and youz have a hard time getting full 16 units, always get the full 16. Getting less is OK if youz are either really, really good, or have lost your noggin and somehow still manage to wander the earth.

4) When in doubt, 'tis best to be bold. You may just stun somebody with a surprise move that baffles them and leaves them groping for their own body parts (severed or attached).

5) Lastly, remember that no matter what quandry youz should find yourself in, you will always die. That is just part of being mortal. So, just be ready to die and let die. Once you accept this, youz can have fun, and have the time of your life

6) To get the most fun out of the game, dress up in full armor and get your wife/girlfriend/MILF dabble with your noggin while youz be busy harvesting noggins.

GAH
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Hey Yakobu,

If you see me online just give me a shout and i'll endeavour to help you out with army selection and tactics. As Sulla says go to our clan site and leave some times when you play.

My online name is Kenchi_Nem.

At the start try to get 16 units if you can, something like

6 Mounted knights 0valor
    3 pavs 0 valor
    3 chiv men at arms valor 2
    3 feudal men at arms valor 3
    1 militia serg valor 3-4

This army will do as a base line and then just experiment from there. Stay away from mounted archers/crossbow until you have alot of experience.

Hope this helps

Nem

Yeah, Connection speed does'nt seem too important, i get the same results from my 600k conn as i did with my 160k.

As for an army set-up, try some 10k games with my recommended German set-up.

4 val 0 Tuetonic Knights (one of which is your general)
    2 val 0 Chivalric knights
    4 val 3 Fuedal men at arms
    2 val 2 Chivalric men at arms
    3 val 0 armour 1 Pavise arbs
    1 val 0 armour 1 Archers