Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Concise History of England

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

As some people seem to be interested in a new English PBM campaign, I decided to start a topic for the write-ups and comments of this new campaign.

This is the list of candidate kings so far:
    [*] Chimpyang - is playing the first King. [*] ThijsP[*] alman9898[*] Tricky Lady

To confirm:[*] Ellesthyan

These were a few suggestions made by Lord Armbandit in the Entrance hall post:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just a suggestion - how about everyone writes up a 'mission statement' when they take over of what they intend to acheive? These should be a bit ambitious, and it will add flavour to the write-up at the end. Also, the 'take-over' post should give a bit of a review of the predecessor's performance, e.g.

King Stephen was a mighty king who grew the lands under his dominion through fire and sword, brought trade to the merchants and craftsmen of his Kingdom, and died with no less than 4 valiant heirs to follow his example

And what would the preferred ending write-up style be? i.e., historical text, e.g. -

King William then sought to secure his northern borders from the rebellious Scots. He sent emissaries to their King and attempted with offers of coin to earn his allegiance. When this failed, his mighty armies descended upon the castle of Edinburgh and laid siege, eventually eradicating the flower of scottish nobility

My 'Mission statement':

I do hereby pledge to build a mighty nation for my descendants to rule, to crush the French, purge the infidel moors from the Catholic lands of Europe, and quell the rebellious celts of Wales and Scotland.
    Waiting for Lord Armbandit's write-up.

Eats Egyptians for breakfast Member Ghostmonkey's Avatar

I think I'll stay out of this one. I don't think I can handle this on hard and final exams are going to start soon so I won't have much time to do anything anyway.
    The Spartans do not ask how many but where they are.
    -Agis II of Sparta

I'll join... haven't played as the english though in a long time.
    KILL RANDOM PEOPLE AND DRINK THEIR BLOOD

Member Member Ard-Ri McCullaugh's Avatar

Oh I see now, when a King dies, the next player takes over the position. I had inquired on the subject elsewhere, but the roster explained it all to me. I am assuming that my... assumption is correct though.

Senior Member Senior Member Demon of Light's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Terra, Sol Planetary System, Milky Way Galaxy

I was going to drop a link in the other thread but it looks like you got it.
    The surest way to lose the respect of one's peers is to take a stand on principle...alone.

Yes, but regardless, much thanks for considering dusting off old tomes to educate newer members.

BLAST No editing of posts yet. Well sorry for the double post, it is a necessary evil. I would be willing to participate in said game, as it is summertime and I have plenty of time on my hands.

Lord Armbandit is out what now??

I dont want too play the first session

Hmm... This is not going in the right direction.

If no volunteers show up for the first reign, than I'll kick off this PBM.

Volunteers will have plenty of time, because I'll be in Stockholm from Friday to Monday. I guess I'll start the game next Tuesday or Wednesday.

The list on top of the page is edited again.

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

I've started it for you, i'm at 1005 right now and my mission statement is : I shall strive to take out the French asap and build a empire from the rubble of their worthless kingdom

Thanks Chimpyang Great job.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

that's nice

1005 and they are still alive?

no chance for a blitz then, huh?

I was hoping for the worthless kingdom to not receive any ambiguity as regards to our position towards them and usually kill em by 1095 or so while their king dies in 1092

I've finished now and it was in the penultimate year of the Reign that I managed to finish the French off.

I've uploaded the .rar file up to the filespace and it's called England 1118 long live King Edmund III

It's funny that Edmund is the 3rd child to William II cos i managedto get 2 heirs killed in the battles against the French.

1087 - King William II is made King, standing on the steps of westmnster cathedral, William proclaimed :The lands in France are rightfully mine through my father William I, I demand the French King hand them over to us.

1090 - William spent the next 3 years moving forces down to wessex and it was in 1090 that he personally lead the attack into Flanders, the cowardly French retreated and Flanders was to remain in English hands.

1094 - The French King did not retaliate in the wake of this retreat and it allowed William to regroup his troops and expand his army. William once again lead his troops into battle, this time into the heart of French territory, the ile de france. The french king decided to do battle there and William set up his battlelines with his archers out front and his urban militai and hobilars behind. Beside him was his son William and as soon as the battle started William ordered a advance to the frenmch lines, hoping for a rush to bypass the disadvantage he had in the number or archers.

William's son lad the first charge, with hobilars but these were repulsed by the french lines, then william lead the charge himself, spearheading his troops into battle. However the King did nt manage 1 single kil on this day as the French, seeing his troops rushing at them ran and only their King remained to do battle with prince william and his houseguard hobilars. After a lot of fighting, Prince William managed to plunge his sowrd into the French king's chest but was killed by the last surving member of the King's entourage.

1103 - The KIng spend many years bringing reinforcements from England and in 1103 mounted an attack with fresh troops on Toulouse. Toulouse was quickly overwhelmed and taken, however some French troops managed to escape into the fort which was assaulted next year and burnt to the ground. The king wasted little time to offer peace to the French who were threatening the borders of Anjou and Ile de France however the proud french king reject this chivalous offer.

1109 - After bringing yet more troops in from England he King personally lead yet another attack, this time on the strong french army in Brittany, after putting up a courageous fight the French line finally broke under intense archer fire and the french army was captured before they could retreat to the castle.

1115 - Leaving only a token garrison behind, the King again lead his troops - bolstered by the hiring of mercenaries into Champage. The Frenhc king was the only unit to put up much resistance as German allies help sweep the shattered remenants of the French army off the battlefield. However, the french king was killed this time by a faithful unit of hobilars who chased him to his death.

1117- King dies, leaving behing a flowing empire.

Wow, you killed your sons really quick
    I will start playing this evening.

Can't wait for my turn. I can't ever to seem to get my TGAs to work, cansomeone help

Erm I will play tomorrow. The battery of my mouse is low. Now if I can just press that buuton there

Quote[/b] (alman9898 @ June 02 2004,21:33)]I can't ever to seem to get my TGAs to work, cansomeone help
    Check this topic from the Mead Hall.

Scroll down the page until you see How to convert your TGA into JPEG and resize it to fit the screen. That'll get you started.

I'd play but I don't have VI... Anybody wanna buy me a copy of VI so I can play? Drat.
    “A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship But it is not this day, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day This day we fight” – Aragorn, King of Gondor

-=Allies & Axis Total War=-

If you would have VI, you could also join the Sicilian, Italian, Aragonese and Egyptian PBEMs...

Quote[/b] (ThijsP @ June 02 2004,13:10)]Wow, you killed your sons really quick
    well i managed to leave you a 5* king (ableitly i have never had a king edmund before)with 5/6 feathers, oh btw I have managed to lose ALL of the TGA's from my reign, (anoying little sister) so the writeup will be all in dull text.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

that's nice as the first two heirs usually aren't great anyhow

5* with these stats is really good for English second king.

nice job. would there be an incursion into Iberia, perhaps?

navarre and aragon at the least is very nice chokepoint wise and also providing iron.

I'll fill in as an heir to the throne. And btw, how does one take screenshots?

f2 or print screen

Mission:

Invasion of the Iberian Paninsula.

PLaying as I speak.

Member Member Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's Avatar

If it's alright, put me down for a go.

Llywelyn
    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd

Hmmm nobody's willing to buy me a copy of VI... They must all be jealous of my awesome playing skills...
    “A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship But it is not this day, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day This day we fight” – Aragorn, King of Gondor

Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ June 03 2004,22:11)]Hmmm nobody's willing to buy me a copy of VI... They must all be jealous of my awesome playing skills...
    Perhaps you should try to collect some $$ in the Tavern.

Hi all - I haven't played a pbem before, but like the idea, and will gladly give a go at a reign. But I need someone to explain the whole 'version' thing to me. I've got the basic M:TW, and VI installed. Would I need to install a med-mod? Would it mess with my current campaigns? (Or need to be installed as a separate, duplicate version?). Thanks.

I have more than enough to buy VI but I'm saving it for various things that come out in later months (RTW, Evil Genius, possibly a PC upgrade).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast