Thread: FAQ update: finally!

European Federalist Member -Isapostolos-'s Avatar
    War is not about who is right, but who is left

Default Re: FAQ update: finally!

Q. Are strategic ambushes possible? I hide an army in a forest, in... say Germania, and an enemy army comes along, say a Roman one, will they always see me or can they stumble upon me?

A: Strategic ambushes are set up by placing an army in the right kind of concealing terrain. When an enemy marches past there's a chance that the ambush will be sprung and a battle take place. If the ambushers are successful then the defenders are deployed as a marching column and don't get to redeploy before the fight! Whether or not the ambushers are spotted depends on the commander's skills...
    Great! That's what I wished for!
    To CA:

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

this is awsome!!! I will crush a roman column between my charging cataphracts!!!!!!!!!!!

What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Sounds great.
    Ambush!
    That's it.

I also like the mentioning of rally points for trained troops form different cities, this will make army building a whole lot faster and easier, as well as making reinforcing easer also.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Does reading that FAQ give you the impression that unlocking factions has been removed? It gives me that impression.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

Just remember: ambushes work both ways - and you can be zapped while merrily strolling through German forests, or anywhere else, for that matter. Ambushes and properly placed border forts can make war sheer hell for an invader. :)
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Good to know that the AI may also get in on the act...

I think I am going to have to try and avoid walking around near forests when I play.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Why can't you just burn the forests? ~:p

Seriously, that ambush feature is neat!

I think there will be new tactics when playing on campaign map. We'll have to use small squad of "scouts" going in front of army marching through forest.

Yes I can see it now. Armies of peasants wearing bright coloured clothing with target crosses on them marching in front of your all conquering army screaming: KILL US!. Great idea

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fishpants
    Just remember: ambushes work both ways - and you can be zapped while merrily strolling through German forests, or anywhere else, for that matter. Ambushes and properly placed border forts can make war sheer hell for an invader. :)

Is this from painful personal experiance?

Quote Originally Posted by Isopostolos
    Yes I can see it now. Armies of peasants wearing bright coloured clothing with target crosses on them marching in front of your all conquering army screaming: KILL US!. Great idea
    Do you mean "Kill us!" or "Kill U.S.!"? Iraqi peasants?

this faq also gives off the impression that in RTW, sitting on your lands and beefing up your borders may pay much better dividends than the neccesary tactic of burning across europe as fast as possible in MTW. Especialy since you can become emperor just by gainging enough influence with senate, rather than killing them.

MY 100TH POST, WOO HOO!!

lol

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

While it's good that they updated it, it's disappointing. Why? First off it says that only the Parthians will be able to use the Parthian shot (other people used it to!) And not all rivers are there? Again, the poor steppe people are land locked, not being able to use the river to connect to the seas and oceans. Why?

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Hey dude, take a chill pill.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    While it's good that they updated it, it's disappointing. Why? First off it says that only the Parthians will be able to use the Parthian shot (other people used it to!) And not all rivers are there? Again, the poor steppe people are land locked, not being able to use the river to connect to the seas and oceans. Why?
    Well, we get major rivers...so I'm assuming we'll get ones like the Volga, Don, etc.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I like that fact that with some of the vice and virtues only certain factions can get them. Wonder how they will effect the battle speeches?
    CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR - A medieval mod for RTW
    http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Athlete
    I like that fact that with some of the vice and virtues only certain factions can get them. Wonder how they will effect the battle speeches?
    Let's just say that loopy generals give interesting speeches to inspire their troops, and leave it at that. If I tell you any more, it'll spoil the surprise for some of the little 'quirks' that are buried in what gets said.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moroz
    Do you mean "Kill us!" or "Kill U.S.!"? Iraqi peasants?
    Yes even in that day the people of Mesopotamia were screaming: Kill U.S!

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Sorry, didn't mean to come through as crazy. Hopefully the Don and the Volga will be in there.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

"You won't have to stop playing in 14 AD, by the way, although your victory (or lack of it) will be determined then - you can carry on and see what happens." (totalwar.com)
    (have no clue how to do a quote)

does that mean that 14 AD we will be told our place in the game and given an option to quit or continue playing forever?

Edit:
    just ignore it.
    All i had to do is just read for another 2 min. sorry, don't know to delete this repley.
    Last edited by USMCNJ; 08-13-2004 at 17:24.
    MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good.

Romans were, after all, soldiers rather than sailors (totalwar.com)
    if it wasn't for romes navy, rome would have lost the first punic war and the second. and without these victories rome might not have been ROME.

back to the subject at hand.
    On the navel movement.
    can one ship transport a full 20 unit army? or is it 1 unit per ship?
    if two fleets ingage and one is transporting a unit, will this be a counted as a bonus to the carring fleet?

p.s.
    oh, great work gents, can't wait to get this game.
    MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    Actually it says that Parthians will use the "Parthian shot" AUTOMATICALLY. Other units that are able to use the "Cantalabrian Circle" (sp?) will need to be ordered to do so.

Barkhorn.
    "Après moi le déluge"

hey, some of the stuff sounds absolutely great !
    esp. the ambushes thingies, as most of you noted ;)
    i also like the thing about allies in battles (them coming from different directions), and the fact that settlements may have more than one gate...that means a LOT of flexibility in battles !
    it's also very nice that you can now walk through your allies' territories on the strategic map...it was really annoying in MTW that dropping one unit in another faction's territory meant instant war...

i'm still fuzzy about the heirs and governors, but I guess that'll clear itself out when the game's out.
    bottom line is, there's lots more features and much more flexibility in the game, in various aspects of the game, and that makes it all the more re-playable !

Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Hmmmmmm.............I wonder will making the non-playable factions playable be as simple as the FT_MAJOR FT_MINOR edit in MTW?
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."