Thread: super graphics wasted?

Senior Member Senior Member 1dread1lahll's Avatar

Default super graphics wasted?

the close ups of the battles are without a doubt the best ever; men tossed into the air by elephants, or knocked off their horses......but at the distance required for you to control your army, what is your impression? To me they are tiny and not pleasing at all.

Default Re: super graphics wasted?

To me it even at a distance the graphics are a big improvemnt, but you right its not as noticeable. And with everything going on all over the map you really don't have time to zoom in and enjoy them.
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

The zoom will probably best be used for replays when you can sit back and enjoy the battle after the fact.
    This space intentionally left blank

The pause button just became more useful. Now you can pause, tell your men what to do, then watch the great graphics! It's a win win situation!
    Anyone who has no fear of death himself can succeed in inflicting it.
    The Prince,
    Machiavelli

hummmm, I dont think you can pause in multi-player, and i dont play single player; oooing and aaaaing i think will get old as did the cut scenes in Shogun.

Not like it takes long to zoom in with a wheel mouse. And it's kinda hard to avoid people looking small at a distance.... because they are small at a distance!
    ~LordKhaine~

Yes the super graphics are possibly wasted, at least perhaps for the hardcore players that simply want to be able to see as much of the battlefield as possible and want fast control over your army. For attracting many new players to buy the game - especially non RTS players who see some glorious eye candy.

For me the only way the super graphics will be wasted is if a classic control option is not included (and no the TW control option in the options menu is not even close). I mean fair enough if a "simplified" option is there for new players and the probable port over to the xbox etc., but if there is any chance that the basic controls were programmed the same as for the previous TW games and were changed to suit unfamiliar to TW beta testers, please please please give us a real classic TW control interface!

I hope CA are reading through some of this feedback coming back from the demo....

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spacecadet

For me the only way the super graphics will be wasted is if a classic control option is not included (and no the TW control option in the options menu is not even close). I mean fair enough if a "simplified" option is there for new players and the probable port over to the xbox etc., but if there is any chance that the basic controls were programmed the same as for the previous TW games and were changed to suit unfamiliar to TW beta testers, please please please give us a real classic TW control interface!

I really need this explained to me as I really can't see the problems....

I can control that game in just the same way as MTW (other than the right click to move thing) if a chose to... Cursor keys and mouse for camera control, and mouse for selecting and moving units, I can reform units by holdig down the right button and moving the mouse and I can put units in loose formation and back and into wedges and skirmish mode if they are capable... What am I missing???

not much, the others havent figured out how to set their camera to original TW camera style, which you do IN-GAME under video options
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    not much, the others havent figured out how to set their camera to original TW camera style, which you do IN-GAME under video options
    Yup - I've seen more complaints about the camera. First thing I did was change it in the options to TW style. No problems here.

I tried the restricted view too. Talk about restricted! You can't move the camera view away from your commander. That's pretty cool... actually gives you a feel for how limited your perspective would be if you were stuck on the ground like a real commander (or could they really fly around the battlefield like in the previous games? ).

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie
    Yup - I've seen more complaints about the camera. First thing I did was change it in the options to TW style. No problems here.

I tried the restricted view too. Talk about restricted! You can't move the camera view away from your commander. That's pretty cool... actually gives you a feel for how limited your perspective would be if you were stuck on the ground like a real commander (or could they really fly around the battlefield like in the previous games? ).
    Actually ,I think I'll stick to Generals view all the time.Tried it last night ,and this feature alone really makes the leap forward from the first two games.
    I've read a bit about a command and control option in the full game ,and am a little surprized this hasn't been talked about more on this forum.
    This is where we're going to find the realism in this game.
    Sheilds ,uniforms ,all that stuff can be modded anyway.
    That's it.

Smile Re: super graphics wasted?

Quote Originally Posted by 1dread1lahll
    hummmm, I dont think you can pause in multi-player, and i dont play single player; oooing and aaaaing i think will get old as did the cut scenes in Shogun.
    Well let's face it, for you MP only folks, the whole campaign map and strategic aspect of the game is a waste!

There are many ways to play the game. I'm glad the graphic detail is there when I want it. The troops and animations look splendid. The entire battlefield looks better IMO without the giant banners so I have turned them off.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Bob.... perhaps you misssed it, check the thread on the loads of control options that are not present in the demo that were in STW, MTW, In multi player the knowledge and use of these options is the difference between winning and not......in single player, aginst the ai, I never bothered with them, and could control my men well enough to beat the ai too.

Forum Administrator Forum Administrator Admin's Avatar

I turned the huge banners off too, really nice. And the general point of view, marvellous.

The maps looks great, and rivers are fordable at some places. Are units slowed down when crossing water like that?
    I hope map authors can set larger portions of rivers to act like that. Kraellin made a great map in STW WE/MI, a huge swamp, units were often up to their waist in water. This adds another tactical dimension.

I hope the full game allows to disable smoke trails on arrows. It's nice that the player can toggle between fire and plain arrows. If only we could burn a forrested hill or gras steppe during a hot season :)

I missed a few options too 1dread1lahll, not sure whether I just didn't discover yet or whether they are really gone. The . and , rotation is nice, but it will take too long in full scale MP battles I fear. Unit drag&drop seems missing in the classic interface, but that may be my oversight as it worked in the other setting. Strafing appeared to be missing too, but that worked once in the TW setting. I've yet to get units to backpeddle/fall back. My guess is that we partly have to get used to it/discover and partly functions don't work properly yet in one or the other setting. A matter of polishing.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Nope

For me, the gfx and music are the two best things in the demo.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak