Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time - Total War (for Rome)

Default Re: The Wheel of Time - Total War (for Rome)

I also bought and read the original version, even if french speacking. But maybe its just me, i hate translated stuff, so when i can avoid it ...

Quote Originally Posted by UglyandHasty
    I also bought and read the original version, even if french speacking. But maybe its just me, i hate translated stuff, so when i can avoid it ...
    I share your feelings. Even though a good translator takes over, he/she will never be able to render it perfectly.

I know that there isn't any wrong with the English text however I read alot in English too.

And I am surrounded with so much English in normal in my life, so that I read the books in Swedish as a way to improve my Swedish as well. And not get bogged down in to much English.

Myrddraal just asked me to do a few skins for you. So I thought I'd best come here and see whats happening!

OH! BTW- I really LOVE the odd one power women things at the beggining!

Member Member itsgottabeworthatry's Avatar

I have some questions concerning this mod:

1) Will the Shadow's forces have accsess to the Forsaken or Dreadlords?

2) I noticed that you will include the Seanchan, will you also include the Aiel clans and/or the forces of Rand al'Thor?

3) If you do include them, have you had any discussions about how to even things out for those who would not be able to use the One Power offensively? It seems a bit unbalanced if the forces of Rand al'Thor would be able to field a dozen of Asha'mans, with no equalent for other armies.
    The word that has heralded progress throughout the ages: "It's gotta be worth a try..."

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

OK I'll try to answer all those:

We are working on two campaigns or eras, the early era and rand era. The early era starts about 100 years after the dissapearance of the countries like Caralain and Almoth, so Malkier is going strong. This has no Rand and no Seanchan. It does include Aiel. In this era, the shadow will have no dreadlords/forsaken.

Rand era starts after the golden bowl. Rand has Tear and the Aiel behind him, Cairhien consists of a bunch of rebels, the Shaido (a seperate faction) are about to descend upon it. Here the Shadow will start with the forsaken, and will eventually be able to train dreadlords. At the moment, Rand will only be able to train Ashaman when he takes Caemlyn. The Seanchan will start with damane and one island (Cantorin) as they have been driven out of falme. Remember, Aes Sedai, Dreadlords, Damane and Aes Sedai will take ages to build and cost a bomb.

It is true that the countries without these units will be at a disadvantage, but if you look at the books, this is all too true. When the one power is being used as a weapon, nations fall in days. The Seanchan litterally sweep all before them...

Hope that helps, and good to see another fan

Seems very good! And another question: the Aiel don't really have any variation in their forces. Sure there are the different septs, but their figthing methods are the same, the only variation I can think of is to have seperate archer and infantry units, the Far Dareis Mai and one or two elite units. Will you chose to have a very limited army selection or are you going to try and add a few new units?
    The word that has heralded progress throughout the ages: "It's gotta be worth a try..."

The Aiel clans will unfortunately all be merged into one faction. We don't have enough factions slots As it is, the Sea Folk and Murandy will be rebels with a special flag (we think these are the most appropriate factions as murandy has no real internal structure and the sea folk don't play a large role in warfare) In rand era there will be two sets of Aiel, Rand's and the Shaido. The units will be the different warrior societies (water seekers, red shields, stone dogs etc etc), and we will try to differentiate between the different units in appearance as well as stats.

A very good solution! Than you for the answers and good luck!

Just wondering if you have any updates for us. I would like to see the Campaign map if you have that around. It's been awhile since we've heard some news so I hope everything's still ok.

Everything is going on nicely, not much to show for it. We're holding some things back for the demo release so I don't want to spoil the suspense

demo release huh? any beta for testing? I'd be honored if I could do some testing for you guys.

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Don not EVER quiy this mod Myrdraal!

It looks awesome.
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

Hoho, since I was the one to do the stas for the aiel units (well atm most of the units we have stats for;)), I can explain all this. The aiel units are divided roughly in three groups: archers, close combat attackers and skirmishers. Each group has two or three different types (light and medium). All aiel except archers can hurl spears, but most of them only two, the skirmishers more. The we hace three special units: Stone Dogs are heavy defenders(low charge bonus, no thrwing, but high attack and close lines), Night Something that scares the enemy and finally water Seekers, with very good stamina, short range bows and low spear attack used to draw the enemy and scout. We also have Aiel Chief Guard, which is Generals Unit. As you might count now, there is to few units... That is because the Maidens act as Spies on the camp map, and knife hands is the assassins. Wise Ones will be channeling unit, trainable in Ruhe and also diplomats.
    Aiel will of course have a high attack and good speed and stamina. the cost will not be very high, but training will be long, to represant that they train all life, low armor but 2hp, and the main disadvantage is that they will only be able to train their good troops in the waste.
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I have read all of the WoT books except for New Spring (Im halfway through it) Ive been part of the "bug" team for quite a few mods and if oyu ever need help with BETA testing I'd willingly help you. I'm also good with creativity lol :)

Hey Lews, welcome to the .org.

Seeing as I'm Admin at the beta testers, you guys may end up testing for us.

Its always good to see a new fan.

It would be an honor master myrdraal....mybe i should call you Shaidar....?

I've been a fan of WoT for a good while now and this was quite interesting to learn about. I have no abilities for artwork or modding but my source of income at the moment is freelance writing. So if you need any descriptions or background info put together feel free to contact me. If you're looking for beta testers I'd be more than willing as well. G'luck with the project.

email: natesmz@aol.com
    AIM: NateSMZ
    Drink water.

For the aes sedai, the three oaths do not hold if they are fighting to defend themselves. In offensive battles they are healers who can increase armour and defence skill of any unit in the vicinity (sort of like a general but instead of morale, it reduces chances of a kill) as long as the units are within a certain radius of the AS, and perhaps they can also have the screeching women ability, but no attack, only defence. But in defensive battles they show their power in addition to their healing effects, which however do not apply if they are fighting.

And unit size on huge scale for each Aes Sedai should be on the level of 2-4, to prevent them from becoming too overpowered.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I don't know if the game would be capable of changing the units abilities based on offense or defense; but could it perhaps have a trigger so that they cannot attack until they have been engaged first?

ie: there is a trigger that can give a general the "scarred" trait when his health drops a certain amount and general units have the rally ability which has a control on it as to when it can be used. So what I'm thinking is that you could give the Aes Sedai the "Weave" ability which only becomes available after they are initially attacked. This would provide an effective counter to Aes Sedai as well, and promote strategy. A general would have to take steps to make sure a stray arrow didn't come too close to the sisters or that unruly soldiers engaged them. Also a powerful calvary charge or sudden storm of arrows might be able to destroy them before they were free to act.
    Drink water.

"And unit size on huge scale for each Aes Sedai should be on the level of 2-4, to prevent them from becoming too overpowered."

It is my understanding that Aes Sedai will come in small packages, be very expensive, and take a very long time to build, so as to prevent all AS armies.

^Agree to that...

One note - I read elsewhere that the game has a mininum on the size of units at 6. Anything less causes a CTD. Have you guys found a way around this? I suppose you're going to use sisters as handlers and have warders fill out the mininum requirement? Of course then one must wonder about Wise Ones and the Asha'man. With twice, or thrice, as many persons in their units wouldn't they seriously overpower the Aes Sedai? Unless you made them some sort of handler as well...

---

An addition to my previous suggestion regarding the oaths issue. That fix would also allow for the Asha'man to be the more powerful battle force as they should be. They're alternate mode could be some kind of "Link" ability, which would solve the earlier issue of unit size for them. There is mention in the latest books of the Asha'man bonding sisters, they could act as the handlers for these and when the "Link" ability was selected they would lose mobility in trade for greater firepower...

---

I can't think of any solution to the unit size issue for the Wise Ones. They could act as handlers for a few Maidens as a sort of bodyguard... but that just seems a poor fix... As far as their special ability, a "Take up the Spear" mode or somesuch would allow them to suspend their use of the power for a significant boost to attack and defence. So that in a close combat situation they could defend themselves much better than Aes Sedai. Although the Aes Sedai's weavings should be somewhat more powerful. The Asha'man should of course have their natural attack and defence higher than the sisters but the Wise Ones special ability should allow them a noticeable bonus beyond the Asha'mans training.
    Drink water.

well - seeing as I was informed that special abilities are hardcoded that kinda ruins all those suggestions...

damn CA
    Drink water.

Wow...I am a HUGE Rome Total War AND a HUGE Wheel of Time fan. There is probably nothing that I would ask more in a video game then this combined. This will be a ridiculous game if you guys manage to pull it off lol.

hello all

I'm Myrddraal's brother, and i'm responsible for music for the mod... Just posting to let you lot know that this mod will definitely have its own music and plenty of it. Hopefully we will have way more variety of music for different cultures, and even nations if possible (one thing i hated about Rome was the fact that there were only three or four campaign map songs and only two battle pieces).

I'd just like to ask for as much advice/ideas as possible so that the end result is what the majority want. At the moment the music is being organised like this: big, recognisable tunes with strong themes you can (hopefully) sing along to for battles, pieces for campaign map that aren't just filler, but which can keep you interested and come in large enough quantity that you don't get bored of them in 5 minutes and turn the music off (i know that's what happened to me with Rome ).

Also the music will be more culturally recognisable, so music for Aiel is going to be way different to say Westlands music with a new array of tunes, styles and instruments (hopefully with some chanting).

Music for the demo includes - the whitecloaks: Strong, martial sound, lots of trumpets and brass and thundering hooves...

Illian: More cultured sound in campaign map music, more relaxed mood, but still pretty fiery on the battlefield, with Greek/Medditerranean (sp?) feel.

Altara: Slightly Middle Eastern sound with touches of Arabic influence. Loud and rampant with chaotic style for battles.

The Whitecloak music is largely finished, the Illianers and Altarans are started. Please give your opinions as to what you want included in the music and i'll do my best. Also, if anyone composes music themselves and wants it in the mod, please send it to me at shasboz@hotmail.com. Although there's no guarantee it will be included it can't hurt and if it eases the workload for me i'd be grateful...

Thanks

I think music from Carmina Burana is the ultimate battle music. It's played in many war movies as you see groups of men riding off into battle. Really appropriate and it always gives me goosebumps listening to it. I love it!

cdaulepp

Quote Originally Posted by Radier
    Don not EVER quiy this mod Myrdraal!

It looks awesome.
    agreed.

this will be a BI mod tho will it not.....?

This mod will be adapted for BI, but the demo will be either for simple RTW or both...

many thanks. :D

We'we been waiting quite a while for the demo now, are you getting done?

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast