Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RTW Bugs

Post RTW Bugs

Post bugs you've encountered here.
    No long stories, just a brief description of a bug you've been able to repeat.
    Abandon all hope.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Default Re: RTW Bugs

When you are in the pre-battle screen when you can see your force and the enemies force in numerical terms with your and their reinforcements there are unit Icons depicting the leaders of each faction.

I was able to click on my General's pictures in that screen and drag them around the screen. It was like I had lassoed it in Photoshop and was moving an image from one place to another. It doesn't affect the game in any way - it's just a little strange.
    robotica erotica

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

One crash to desktop after hitting the "close" button on the Senate diplomacy summary screen. So far, though, the game's been exceptionally smooth.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

when units are grouped sometimes they won't move forward, attack an enemy or anything unless you give them individual orders.

it would also be nice if units could be in more than one group
    robotica erotica

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    One crash to desktop after hitting the "close" button on the Senate diplomacy summary screen. So far, though, the game's been exceptionally smooth.
    I'm 90% certain this happened to me too. I know I was looking at the Senate scroll, and I clicked something, (which I'm almost certain was the close button.) and blammo..dumped to desktop.

But other than that, this has run like a dream. Which is pretty damn impressive given my computer.

Someone else has had this problem as well.

When you shoot fire arrows the game lags up a little. It's the one thing I've seen yet that was less optimized from the demo. It may just be how it is, but since in the demo it wasn't a problem I thought I'd mention it.
    robotica erotica

Not sure if this counts but....when defending in a seige....move several units just out the gate....pulled them back in and exit battle. It counted as a successfull sally. No honor in a draw it said....but it lifted the seige.
    Dimeolas

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

i reported this elsewhere... when i insert the cd in the cd tray and the auto-run brings up the menu and i click on 'play', the menu flash goes away and nothing happens. the game does not start up. the icon on the desktop works just fine, however.

K.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRaven
    I'm 90% certain this happened to me too. I know I was looking at the Senate scroll, and I clicked something, (which I'm almost certain was the close button.) and blammo..dumped to desktop.

But other than that, this has run like a dream. Which is pretty damn impressive given my computer.
    I've noticed a bit of a pause when accessing the senate tab that I haven't seen elsewhere. I think there is something up with it.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

The pause is so it can load the in-game video...

I would add that reinforcement's AI is completly suicidal and needs to be fixed in the first patch.

Built an ambassador and got confirmation but he was no where to be found
    D

i've also seen the group bug: give a group orders, it does nothing, and you have to give orders to the individual units. However, I _think_, but I can't remember for sure, that the group becomes responsive again if you just give it a formation (SHIFT +nr).
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeolas
    Built an ambassador and got confirmation but he was no where to be found
    D
    Are you sure he wasn't hiding under the Agents tab?

When moving anything around the map once you order them to march somewhere you can't undo it - even if you accidentally clicked somewhere. It isn't a bug, but a grievance.
    robotica erotica

- Here's a really odd bug. At one point during my current short Julii campaign the 'Advisor' and 'City Details' buttons on the City Construction menu/page became grayed out and those features were unusable. I do believe I had completely turned off the Advisor prior to this happening but why would that deactivate the City Details button? Reloading an older save game didn't fix things. Exiting RTW, restarting and loading a saved game seemed to fix it. Now I have the Advisor turned off and I can still access the City Details button. Weird, eh?

when units are grouped sometimes they won't move forward, attack an enemy or anything unless you give them individual orders.
    I can vouch for this as well. It's a HUGE pain in the ass, especially when timing is of the essence.

- Odd formation behavior - During combat (after the initial setup phase) it drives me nuts I get my units in a nice hand crafted formation and adjust their rows, put them in a group and click on a distant destination only to see them revert to the same positions and unit depths they possessed prior to my arranging them! It doesn't happen all the time but it certainly didn't happen in Medieval.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spino
    -

- Odd formation behavior - During combat (after the initial setup phase) it drives me nuts I get my units in a nice hand crafted formation and adjust their rows, put them in a group and click on a distant destination only to see them revert to the same positions and unit depths they possessed prior to my arranging them! It doesn't happen all the time but it certainly didn't happen in Medieval.
    From your above description I must ask this..Do you group these units before you deploy them or afterwards? I'll tell you why...I noticed this and also noticed that if the units you arrange are grouped, they will rearrange to their prior relative positions regardless of how you group them. However once you ungroup these units, arrange them as you want and then group them, they maintain their formation.

Just one of the many ' improvements ' from CA

Here's another gem.
    Three Numidian Cav, send one to attack and select the special ability, Cantabrian circle. Now select all three units, click ability again and attack given targets. The two new units perform their Cantabrian circle while the first has reverted to ability off........Hah!! Same thing with three Sacred band, I had one in phalanx formation and then selected all three on phalanx. The original was switched off

Can you imagine the amount of micro management this requires in MP, with all units doing 100m in 9.65 seconds?
    Yeah great job CA

.......Orda

Ouch, Orda, that sounds like a pain.

Of course us SPers don't have any reason to complain about that because we can use pause right?
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Just wanted to confirm the Senate diplomacy bug thing. I was in the tab looking at senate diplomacy and clicked on the close button and got a CTD. I hope the prologue aint too long cuz I was partway through it and hate that I have to go thru their noob explanation of things again. Ah well, I gotta do it.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

The info box for each town can cover up units....so if you produced a unit and cant find it run the cursor around `cause the unit is under the box.
    D

Can't send multiple seige rams to attack different parts of the wall simultaneously.

I've been building 2-3 rams to get my men inside the walls faster and to surround defending units easier. But, if you tell multiple rams to attack the wall at the same time, they just stop. You have to get 1 to attack, then once it's started ramming, start the next one.
    Like a wooden man facing flowers and birds.

CTDed twice on attempting to open the Senate tab of the faction info dialogue.

Won't let me run at more than 1280*960 which is odd cos the demo did & I have a 9800 with a monitor that does 1600*1200@75Hz.

Now, back to a third attempt to get past the prologue
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

I just had another CTD for no reason I can think of. I was playing as Scipii and it was right in the beginning I was going to attack Syracuse but the carthaginians were already seigeing it. So I attacked them. But when I hit the button to fight the battle I CTD.

Don't know if it's a bug or just me.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

I think there is a memory leak or something equally bad. I was playing a battle (about 2K troops all told) and the FPS suddenly went down to the single digits with massive stutters, completely unplayble, thinking it would fix it I turned the graphics down to the lowest that I could from the battle menu options...didnt help one bit, not even a slight increase...I had to literally lose the battle and exit the game...havent had anything like this happen in a game in years...it wasent overheating, my computer is very well ventilated. I'm afraid to even go back to my campaign. :(

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Gifts from the senate do'nt appear. It will say your gift is in your capital of (unti name) it keeps referring to my capital as a unit name, I check my capital and there is no gift. The money gifts I do recieve. Gifts worked fine in the prologue but as soon as I went to the campaign I get an announcement that I got them but they are nowhere to found. My only gues is I have spies in enemy cities and I did'nt put spies in cities for the prologue
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

The loading screens are all messed for me. It shows the whole thing, then blacks out and just shows the loading bar.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

The individual orders to grouped unit appears to be a real bug. I'm also getting a flash of a second combat results pop-up after clicking the x on the first. It hasnt caused any problems though.

My right middle finger is getting tired from right clicking and it's exacerbating my developing arthritis. Thats a bug
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Two multiplayer bugs:

1) Game crashes to desktop when trying to log onto GameSpy. Takes anywhere from 2-50 attempts to logon. And each time you have to restart the game.

2) Memory leak for the host. After 2-3 battles, the memory leak is so bad that the host needs to restart. You can tell that as you continue to host games the lag gets worse. Check your memory by opening task manager and you will see that memory usage is climbing.

Update: actually I think there is a memory leak in general. I played 3 big battles in a row in single player and each battle had progressively worse frame rates. I checked my memory usage and sure enough it was maxed.
    Last edited by d6veteran; 09-25-2004 at 18:32.
    Jacta alea est!

Fear is the Mind Killer Member cromwell's Avatar

I find the game very buggy for having a extra year to work on things, or so they said in a interview.
    I CTD when loggin on to gamespy as well, took me 5-10 attempts every time I log on and restarting the game for each one is a major pain. Just give me a error message and let me try again.

SO far not having as much fun, as MTW. Why do something half-A$$, either improve multi player or don't offer it. But don't go back in time with regards to options and stability.

Cromwell
    I will not fear
    Fear is the mindkiller,
    Fear is the little death
    That brings total Oblivion
    I will permit my fear to pass
    Over me and through me
    And where it has gone
    I will turn the inner eye
    Nothing will be there
    Only I will remain.

To add to the MP bugs. When you go to launch the game it loads up the Rome.exe, goes to teh MP portion and then crashes back to Gamespy.
    robotica erotica

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast