Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman: Scipii

Default Re: Roman: Scipii

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    However, that's not to say I don't have problems. Do you have any idea how annoying it is when you have two armies bribed out from under your nose, and a city with it? I don't know how much Carthage was spending, but I got a little pissed off and switched to Germania after Carthage bribed a) Thapsus in turn 10+ with 10 units still in there preparing to move on Leptis Magna, and b) Carthage 4 turns later with an almost-full stack in there waiting to embark for Sparta! *screams*

I thought the AI diplomats were supposed let themselves get bribed and just stand around doing nothing. Hmmmph.
    Hello there,
    Oh my first post here, how exciting.
    Anyway, I read around 2 pages or so without that beeing mentioned, so I wanted to take action and tell you what I did against all this bribing:

I had totally the same problem in an earlier game, so I developed something that was easy, though effective. Using assassins, I killed every diplomat in cartage, and that was the begin of my empire. No more bribing, no more big unit losses.

Now I control half Spain, the Gauls, Carthage,Numidia, Sicily of course and I'm about to get the other half of the world aswell, in form of Egypt.
    But somehow that game got a bit colourless so I stopped and began another game. :)

regards,
    Arcanum

Haha, I'm playing the Scipii now in Mundus Magnus, and it's been highly entertaining. Seeing as I have plenty of time to waste as it is, I shall regale you with tales.

I formed my first grand army, as is my wont, at Croton (in MM you start with Capua and Croton), to cross over to Messana as was the senate mission. Taking it, I proceeded to manhandle Lilybaeum, and Syracuse. I was expecting the Senate to send me on to Hadrumetum (Thapsus) next, but lo and behold! They sent me to Salona. Fascinating. I thought they were just trying to break up my contiguous empire, so I just took it, thinking NOW i can get back to that planned assault on Carthago I had in mind...

But NO! The Senate had other plans for me. They sent me to *drumrolls...* Patavium! Now why the hell is that? That's Julii territory! Then I looked, and I saw the Julii floundering around in blood as red as their tunics, so I took it for the Julii, and kept it. Leaving my little patch of Illyricum to build its paved roads and markets, I left for Carthage. Then halfway down the Adriatic in my little fleet (which has grown into a nasty 10-bireme affair by now, in turn 15 mind you) I am told to turn east to Greece and take Athens, since the Brutii are so inept they haven't done anything about it. Sigh. I figured at this point that my invasion of Carthage was pretty much done for, and since Greece was bloody rich, I decided to lock my 1st Legion into Greece as a regional force. I began a second one on Sicily for Carthage.

1st Legion had a nice hard fight with the Macedonians and Greeks, eventually taking the whole Greek area up to Macedonia itself and Sardica (RTW Bylazora). In this conflict I tackled no less than 5 full-stacks, but eventually came out tops. Thankfully, thanks to newly balanced MM faction characters, Macedonia no longer churns out LL like nobody's business.

2 Legion swept through Carthage's territory with great ease, until it arrived at Lepcis Magna where two fullstacks attempted to contest the town with me (their last African foothold) from opposite direction. It was quite a battle, as my army prepared to face one then the other, only to discover that they opted instead to join into one line and come at me from one corner of the map. So I played along and shattered their infantry line while my cavalry rolled them up from the flank, though admittedly not without some trouble.

Things started going pretty fast now. 1st Legion left for Asia Minor to take out Seleukeia (they declared on me, as did the Ptolemaics, because I bribed Halicarnassus, Side, Ipsus and Sardis from under their noses in 4 turns. :P). Numerous fights led to the capture of all southern Asia Minor all the way to Antioch. 2nd Legion left for Egypt, which had initiated hostilities, and, meeting only 12 units' worth of resistance spread over 3 armies on the way, it took Alexandria and Memphis in a dazzlingly quick campaign. Leaving one diplomat to guard the approaches from Thebes, 2nd Legion leaves for the Levant to take out Egyptian possessions there.

Meanwhile, new armies have been formed, 3rd Legion in Greece and 4th Legion in Patavium. These march eastwards. 3rd Legion was formed just in time, as Thrace launched a heavy assault with one fullstack on Sardica. (Wow.) It was a hard fight that destroyed a fifth of my army, but 3rd legion won, mauled by Thracian militia cavalry (which I stupidly gave 7 melee attack) that made up the bulk of the full-stack. While Thrace shook in its boots and 3rd legion retreated to lick its wounds, 4th legion systematically took Aemona, Iuvavum and Aquincum, the last one by bribe. Singidunum fell to the glitter of gold a turn later.

Meanwhile 3rd Legion had taken Naissus, one of the linchpins of the Thracian defence. It now crossed the black sea to attack Mazaka, which was threatening undefended Asia Minor. 1st Legion was moving for Hatra at this time, after fighting off 3 consecutive Seleucid armies threatening Tarsus. Dunno what they saw in a depopulated town that doesn't even have a militia barracks yet.

4th legion took up the responsibility of the campaign in Thrace, while 5th Legion was formed in anticipation of an Egyptian attack on Lepcis Magna, which seemed the logical step to do since west Africa was undefended. Three turns later Lepcis Magna was taken and assaulted by the only Egyptian fullstack I have ever seen in the whole damned game. I let them have it, because although I could have relieved the siege, I preferred to have an army trapped in a city rather than outside it.

5th Legion besieged Lepcis with numerical inferioprity, and the Egyptians sallied out quickly. Very quickly. They were also routed equally quickly. Can someone explain why MM Nile Spearmen LOVE forming phalanx in LOOSE FORMATION?

After recapturing Lepcis Magna 5th marched on to Cyrene. By now 1st Legion had taken Hatra, 3rd had taken Mazaka and was going on to attack Pontus (which had really always been at war with me but never had enough troops to do more than make me laugh and give my diplomats target practice) at Sinope. 2nd Legion had been spectacularly successful in the Levant, taking Sidon and Jerusalem by storm and Damascus by bribe, and Petra after a pretty dry march.

At this point in time I began catching many spies from my erstwhile ally Numidia in Carthage, so I figured this was the time when I started a campaign against them to pre-empt. But they pre-empted me, trapping the Carthage units of 6th Legion in the city. Unfortunately, the remaining units from Lilybaeum, Messana, Syracuse and Hadrumetum of my all-cavalry 6th Legion were enough to massacre them. Pathetic javelin-men.

The campaign therefore ends with 1st Legion in Thebes, about to move on to Pselkis, 2nd Legion just leaving Hatra in ruins on the way to Arbela, 3rd Legion just taken Sinope and wondering what the hell to do with it (since it has only 450 population). 4th Legion is sitting around Seutopolis with the last Thracian full-stack grand army trapped inside it (it is scared of the excessive numbers of militia cavalry it sees in the city). 5th Legion has cleared the Aegean Island provinces as a pastime while waiting for Cyrene to complete its militia barracks and stables. 6th Legion is about to embark on a punitive expedition on Cirtan, with a pleasantly singing complement of 3 hastati trailing a turn behind to man the rams. I have 5 full-stack fleets of triremes, quinqueremes and corvus quinqueremes floating around in the sea.

Looking good. I'm going to focus my efforts east, now. Onwards to Susa!

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

I just (well, three weeks ago actually) finished a Scipii campaign with the MM mod too. It was particularly fun.

My first stage of expansion went along the lines that the Scipii usually expand in the vanilla game too (so first Sicily, and then Hadrematum, Carthago and so on). I ignored a few senate missions to blockade Greek ports or to conquer provinces up north. The early battles against Carthago were okay but not particularly hard. Their cities fell with ease. One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the strength of some rebel cities. I actually lost a young promising general in the siege of Syracuse, ending a direct Scipio bloodline from its beginning.
    I also allied with Numidia at this time. This was an alliance that would hold until they decided to backstab me just after I conquered Rome, and got to 50 provinces. Nasty neighbours!
    When the war against Carthago seemed to become a cakewalk, I decided to listen to the Senate, and go for Sparta. I noticed that the Brutii had a foothold in Northern Greece too (present-day Albania) so I decided not to lose too much time and I conquered Greece up to Thermon and Athens (the Brutii having conquered Larissa, and all continental Macedonian possession in the meantime).
    When the Carthagians had lost their most important African provinces (their "empire" consisted now of Cyrene and Corduba), I loaded my most promising general with his stack in a fleet and set sail for Corduba. When I conquered that city, I gifted it to the Iberians, only to see it rebel 3 turns later (and switching back to Carthago). I didn't check the garrison, but I am quite sure they were all peasants. Nothing to worry about; they'll go rebel when I conquer their last town (Cyrene).

Around 230Bc the Egyptians started crossing my desert border in the Lepcis Magna province, so I thought they'd declare war soon. They didn't so I took the initiative and attacked one of their full stacks. That was the beginning of a long and bloody war. I conquered the last Egyptian stronghold (in Arabia at that time) around 190Bc. During this time I had to withdraw once from their territories as they had depleted my only campaigning army to less than half of its original strength. I licked my wounds, and came back with a vengeance. I noticed that, once I captured their Nile cities, their empire collapsed entirely. From that moment on I haven't fought chariots or pharaoh's bowmen anymore.
    At the same time that I started a war against the Ptolemies, I did some Aegean island-hopping too, conquering Crete, Rhodos and that small island north of Athens. As I was waging war against the yellow armies in the south, I landed an expeditionary force in Minor Asia too (Egypt having conquered all former Seleucid possessions in Minor Asia). Their cities didn't put up a huge fight. The only problem I ran into was when I had to fight a few stacks in one turn when I was sieging Side (had to fight 3 battles in a row). When I conquered Tarsus, after a hard battle, my young general (who had gained a couple of battle-hardening retinues and two or three additional stars) was slain by an Egyptian assassin. That was a tough moment As I always put a general in charge of my armies, the expansion was stopped until a new general arrived.
    Something nice I noticed during this game. Egypt expanded at cost of the Seleucid Empire, conquering up to Seleucia, but our grey friends striked (stroke?) back. Yes! So I decided to send a diplomat and gift them some denarii, hoping that they'd built up their armies.

So now my empire stretches from Sicily to Greece, Minor Asia, part of the Middle East, Africa and Aegyptus. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to try to conquer the Julii and Brutii too...

...your grey friends *struck* back :D But grammar aside, pretty interesting, Carthage actually made it to Cyrene... o_O They are always pushovers in my game, because by the time they've finished hurling themselves at Syracuse, they've killed off all their elephants.

But yes, the good thing about MM is that their rebel cities are really good. Some you have to crack by starvation or storm, and some you can fight in the field. But they are all, each of them, challenging in the right geographical locations.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Urban Cohort Fanatic Member Lanemerkel1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Davies
    I had to transfer my Capital to Athens

how the hell do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    If I werent playing games Id be killing small anamils at a higher rate than I am now

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Roman: Scipii

Quote Originally Posted by Lanemerkel1
    how the hell do you do that?
    Open the city window of the city you want to be the new capital, go to city details and press the middle left button (with the black castle). It takes one turn to reach effect.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Urban Cohort Fanatic Member Lanemerkel1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Open the city window of the city you want to be the new capital, go to city details and press the middle left button (with the black castle). It takes one turn to reach effect.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    If I werent playing games Id be killing small anamils at a higher rate than I am now

Mmmm... I have played Scipii very successful in the beginning, but my biggest problem is Spanish and Gaul... The other Rome fictions are not my problem because everytime I play, the babarien always build up a great empire and block every Rome invasion! So I don't worry about that. From thr middle of game, my biggest threat actually come from my own home, the rebel. Every time I have the problem of rebel. All of my cities have rebelled unless five times and sometime I really tire about fighting with rebel, and the worst is the tax will decrease! So can anyone tell me how to increase public order and stop squalor?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987
    So can anyone tell me how to increase public order and stop squalor?
    • Garrisons
    • Temples
    • Public improvements like colloseums and public baths
    • Good governors (not just high-influence, but not to many disturbing vices either)
    • Central location of capital

There is nothing you can do about squalor except keeping population down. Therefor it is oftentimes not advisable not to build farming upgrades. Upgrading the governor's house reduces squalor, but this will increase population growth so the problem will come back to haunt you again. Population growth may seem a good thing, but too much of it will really decrease public order.

I did not have much problems with squalor since the 1.2 patch, but maybe this is because I have learned to manage population growth.

• Garrisons
    • Temples
    • Good governors (not just high-influence, but not to many disturbing vices either)

There is nothing you can do about squalor except keeping population down. Therefor it is oftentimes not advisable not to build farming upgrades. Upgrading the governor's house reduces squalor, but this will increase population growth so the problem will come back to haunt you again. Population growth may seem a good thing, but too much of it will really decrease public order.

I did not have much problems with squalor since the 1.2 patch, but maybe this is because I have learned to manage population growth.
    Then if don't have enough time? I mean, there is not enough time for me to build up anyone of things you list out.

And for the population growth... I have find a good solution. That's is, purposely let the city rebel and send new train troops to crush them, after recapture the settlement, slay the city or slave the people... It seems cruel but effective... (but my Greek cities don't have these type of problem! In fact, I conquer Rome, Macedon and Gaul within 50 years!)

• Garrisons
    • Temples

Then if don't have enough time? I mean, there is not enough time for me to build up anyone of things you list out.

And for the population growth... I have find a good solution. That's is, purposely let the city rebel and send new train troops to crush them, after recapture the settlement, slay the city or slave the people... It seems cruel but effective... (but my Greek cities don't have these type of problem! In fact, I conquer Rome, Macedon and Gaul within 50 years!)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum
    Hello there,
    Oh my first post here, how exciting.
    Anyway, I read around 2 pages or so without that beeing mentioned, so I wanted to take action and tell you what I did against all this bribing:

I had totally the same problem in an earlier game, so I developed something that was easy, though effective. Using assassins, I killed every diplomat in cartage, and that was the begin of my empire. No more bribing, no more big unit losses.

Now I control half Spain, the Gauls, Carthage,Numidia, Sicily of course and I'm about to get the other half of the world aswell, in form of Egypt.
    But somehow that game got a bit colourless so I stopped and began another game. :)

regards,
    Arcanum
    Bribing? I never face this problem, probably because I finish Carthage too fast! (in 10 turns) Anyway, using assassins is really a good way. I have mention before the Spanish, and I finally finish them by using assassin to kill all the family members! And I did the same thing for Gaul (and they should thanks me because I save their territory from Julii-keep them for myself.), Julii and Brutii (from other Rome factions, I simply use them as my assassin's training tool.) It's quite effective as the faction without any family members would simply go rebel, and it's much easier to take them. And one advantage for assassins is the faction won't declare war to you, so just simply kill anyone you don'y like!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987
    If there is no time to build anything, it is already too late, and the best thing you can do is move in garissons fast. But that may not be enough. You have to anticipate overcrowding.

Hello guys,
    I desperatly need your help!!!!!!
    Ok, well i have read quite a bit of this thread.
    This is totally awesome!
    I never knew that you could change how the game starts with the scipii starting with Capua and Croton!!!!!
    Thats awesome!
    How do you do it???????
    I really want to know!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me.
    Thanks

Xenophon the naive

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon the youngest
    I never knew that you could change how the game starts with the scipii starting with Capua and Croton!!!!!
    Thats awesome!
    How do you do it???????
    Capua and Croton? Unless you mod the game, the Scipii start with Capua and Messana, while Croton is in the hands of the Brutii. If you want to change that, you'll have to mod some game files. If you post your querry in the Modding Questions forum, they can tell you how to do that (or better yet, read the appropriate threads in the Scriptorium).

Welcome to the Org, BTW .

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by metatron
    I recommend a cavalry force of heavy cav if you're fighting the Numidians. Their provinces cover alot of ground, and they have particularly light forces. It has worked for me well.

However, when it comes to the Spanish, be careful.
    There's no need to commit a huge force to destroy the Numidians. After wiping out the Carthaginian presence in Africa, take and exterminate Cirta and Tingi, while wiping out the huge Numidian armies usually present in the area. The southern part of Africa in the game is usually deserted and easily taken by a few units of equites recruited from Carthage, which gives you a few general promotions as well.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Numidians can be taken care of pretty easily with a small army of about 3 archers, 4 roman calvary, and 4-5 Legionary Cohorts or such.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Once youve taken Carthage, you have an excellent base in which you can build strong troops. The numidians arnt worth worrying about. There vanilla spearmen get beaten by most roman units, and the skirmishers cant do (pardon my french) sod all! Once i take carthage one army to take the numidians is enough, concentrate your forces to the east and the eventual rise of the pharoahs.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I think its essential that you take greece and the northern italian provinces as soon as possible since the brutii and the julii then have to travel further to expend their territory.

once you expand your empire around italy (greece, southern france, austria and swiss) then you can easily take the senate once you're ready without having to ship your troops from all over the map

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

Post Re: Roman: Scipii

Hey there fellow Scipii players,

Started a new Scipii campaign this weekend. It is only a short version played on Med/Med, version 1.6 patch, as I haven't played in a while and just wanted to sort of "get back in the saddle" before taclkling a major game. It also fits my crazy work schedule for the time being. The only reason I've been able to play so much recently is due to my recovering from a bit of minor surgery. But...that is my life, such as it is.

So far the campaign is going well. All of Sicilia belongs to my faction and I've already captured Thapsus, Lepcis Magana, and Carthage. Most of the battles have been rather straight forward, with sieges being the majority. Only one large Carthaginian army has made an appearance in Tripolitania up to this point. It was a twenty card force consisting of mostly town malitia from Lepcis Magna. It also contained 3 Round Shield cavalry, and 1 or 2 Iberian light infantry.

The Roman order of battle consisted of 8 Hastati, 2 Equites, 2 Generals (incuding a 4 star 2 exp. commander), 1 Velite, 1 Archer, 4 Numidian skirmishers, and 2 Numidian Skirmisher cavalry. As at least half of the Roman sodiers had at least 1 or 2 experience levels, it was a fairly decent legion for this early on. It was really no contest for this battle.

The Roman setup area was divided by a large rock formation which allowed me to hide my 2 Numidian cavalry, 1 Equite, and second in command General in a group behind it. Using this terrain feature as an anchor for my infantry line's left flank, I sort of wheeled the whole Hastati group in one line around it. Behind them where my Numidian spearchukers. To my right flank I positioned 1 Equite with the Velites in suppot. My commander was about right center, behind the infantry.

The Carthaginians, who were positioned in the center of the battlefield on a slight rise, immediately started to reposition their line in response to my manuever. Their line was similar to mine really, just a long line of Town Malita with the cavalry at each wing, General in the middle. Curiously the AI had the presence of mind to keep the Iberian infantry in resereve. I was impressed. Perhaps the 1.5 and 1.6 patches have added some tactical nuances to it's repitoire. All seemed to be going to plan for Carthage.

Advancing my infantry line at the double to within pila and javelin range of theirs, I stopped my battle line. As I had all these units in defend/fire at will mode, they began to pepper the Carthaginian Malitia grunts. Soon the calls of "Were under attack!" began to go up and down the line. While this was going on my right flank began to position itself for a charge into the enemies left flank. The Carthaginians began to attack my line. The enemy cavalry seemed uncertain about what to do. Two of them began to make their way to the left of their line, anticipating my right flank probe.

Just as I saw one of their Round Shielders charge my little combined arms team on the right flank, I sprang my surprise. Suddenly my hidden left flank cavalry group rode around the promontory and attacked the rear of the Carthaginian army. My Numidians rode hard for the Iberians and engaged them with a shower of javelins. My Magister Equitum (Seamus Fermanagh) led his bodyguard elites and the other Equites outfit straight at the Carthaginian commander, who was in the act of trying to shore up his crumbling right flank Town Malitia. The surprise was total, the slaughter was great, and the rout came quickly. His Iberians held out for a little while, but when they saw their General flee, along with about half of the Carthaginian right falnk, they folded up as well.

On the Roman right, my Equites reigned surpreme, driving off the first Round Shield riders quickly. They could not pursue yet as they came under attack by the second Carthaginian cavalry unit sent to that flank previously. They began to inflict casualties on my Roman light horsemen, despite their being supported by the Velites, who I even commited to the melee as their pilum were beginning to strike their own comrades. They didn't have to fight long however.

Seeing his soldiers so hardpressed, the commander, taking advantage of the gaps developing in the Cathaginian line, rode through a gap in the center and wheeled about to charge the Round Shield cavalry in the rear. Soon these began to flee. When they saw their left flank horsemaen rout away, the rest of the Malitia fled as well. The rout was now complete.....only three Carthaginian units escaped destruction. The General and one of the Round Shield units managed to rally, but were soon sent fleeing again by the Roman cavalry. Of these, only the General and a few of his followers escaped.

After this battle Carthage was besieged. It was a battle not worth mentioning in any way. Soon after her fall, a small Roman force was sent to destroy a rebel army in the deserts around Lepcus Magna, Carthage has only two provinces left, Baetica and the Island of Palma. When I last checked, Corduba was under siege by my Spainish Allies. As soon as an invasion force can be assembled, I plan to invade Palma.

On the diplomatic front, I have trade agreements and alliances with Numidia, Hispania, Gual, Germany, and Greece. I narrowly avoided a war with Greece over Syracuse, only because the Carthaginians took it first. That was alright with me because she had practically destroyed her army from Lilybeaum in the process, including weakening her precious elephant unit down to three animals. (I killed these off easily during ill advised attack by Carthage on my legion from Messana on the beaches outside of Syracuse) That was how I was able to take all of Sicilia so quickly in the first five years of the game.

All in all, it is a fair beginning. I am having a blast. I hope everyone doesn't mind my going on so much about that battle. I realize that it was no real great feat to win against such a force. It was that the tactics went so well, text book really, that I had to share a little of the drama with everybody. I've never seen such a large army fold up in such a way (except my own). I was impressed with how long some of the Town Malitia held out to be honest. I am just relieved that they weren't Libyan spearmen supported by Carthage's Long Shield cavalry with Elephants, led by one of the Hamilcar family. It would have been a rather different outcome indeed!
    Last edited by rotorgun; 04-17-2006 at 02:55.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotorgun
    Hey there fellow Scipii players,

Started a new Scipii campaign this weekend. It is only a short version played on Med/Med, version 1.6 patch, as I haven't played in a while and just wanted to sort of "get back in the saddle" before taclkling a major game. It also fits my crazy work schedule for the time being. The only reason I've been able to play so much recently is due to my recovering from a bit of minor surgery. But...that is my life, such as it is.

So far the campaign is going well. All of Sicilia belongs to my faction and I've already captured Thapsus, Lepcis Magana, and Carthage. Most of the battles have been rather straight forward, with sieges being the majority. Only one large Carthaginian army has made an appearance in Tripolitania up to this point. It was a twenty card force consisting of mostly town malitia from Lepcis Magna. It also contained 3 Round Shield cavalry, and 1 or 2 Iberian light infantry.

The Roman order of battle consisted of 8 Hastati, 2 Equites, 2 Generals (incuding a 4 star 2 exp. commander), 1 Velite, 1 Archer, 4 Numidian skirmishers, and 2 Numidian Skirmisher cavalry. As at least half of the Roman sodiers had at least 1 or 2 experience levels, it was a fairly decent legion for this early on. It was really no contest for this battle.

The Roman setup area was divided by a large rock formation which allowed me to hide my 2 Numidian cavalry, 1 Equite, and second in command General in a group behind it. Using this terrain feature as an anchor for my infantry line's left flank, I sort of wheeled the whole Hastati group in one line around it. Behind them where my Numidian spearchukers. To my right flank I positioned 1 Equite with the Velites in suppot. My commander was about right center, behind the infantry.

The Carthaginians, who were positioned in the center of the battlefield on a slight rise, immediately started to reposition their line in response to my manuever. Their line was similar to mine really, just a long line of Town Malita with the cavalry at each wing, General in the middle. Curiously the AI had the presence of mind to keep the Iberian infantry in resereve. I was impressed. Perhaps the 1.5 and 1.6 patches have added some tactical nuances to it's repitoire. All seemed to be going to plan for Carthage.

Advancing my infantry line at the double to within pila and javelin range of theirs, I stopped my battle line. As I had all these units in defend/fire at will mode, they began to pepper the Carthaginian Malitia grunts. Soon the calls of "Were under attack!" began to go up and down the line. While this was going on my right flank began to position itself for a charge into the enemies left flank. The Carthaginians began to attack my line. The enemy cavalry seemed uncertain about what to do. Two of them began to make their way to the left of their line, anticipating my right flank probe.

Just as I saw one of their Round Shielders charge my little combined arms team on the right flank, I sprang my surprise. Suddenly my hidden left flank cavalry group rode around the promontory and attacked the rear of the Carthaginian army. My Numidians rode hard for the Iberians and engaged them with a shower of javelins. My Magister Equitum (Seamus Fermanagh) led his bodyguard elites and the other Equites outfit straight at the Carthaginian commander, who was in the act of trying to shore up his crumbling right flank Town Malitia. The surprise was total, the slaughter was great, and the rout came quickly. His Iberians held out for a little while, but when they saw their General flee, along with about half of the Carthaginian right falnk, they folded up as well.

On the Roman right, my Equites reigned surpreme, driving off the first Round Shield riders quickly. They could not pursue yet as they came under attack by the second Carthaginian cavalry unit sent to that flank previously. They began to inflict casualties on my Roman light horsemen, despite their being supported by the Velites, who I even commited to the melee as their pilum were beginning to strike their own comrades. They didn't have to fight long however.

Seeing his soldiers so hardpressed, the commander, taking advantage of the gaps developing in the Cathaginian line, rode through a gap in the center and wheeled about to charge the Round Shield cavalry in the rear. Soon these began to flee. When they saw their left flank horsemaen rout away, the rest of the Malitia fled as well. The rout was now complete.....only three Carthaginian units escaped destruction. The General and one of the Round Shield units managed to rally, but were soon sent fleeing again by the Roman cavalry. Of these, only the General and a few of his followers escaped.

After this battle Carthage was besieged. It was a battle not worth mentioning in any way. Soon after her fall, a small Roman force was sent to destroy a rebel army in the deserts around Lepcus Magna, Carthage has only two provinces left, Baetica and the Island of Palma. When I last checked, Corduba was under siege by my Spainish Allies. As soon as an invasion force can be assembled, I plan to invade Palma.

On the diplomatic front, I have trade agreements and alliances with Numidia, Hispania, Gual, Germany, and Greece. I narrowly avoided a war with Greece over Syracuse, only because the Carthaginians took it first. That was alright with me because she had practically destroyed her army from Lilybeaum in the process, including weakening her precious elephant unit down to three animals. (I killed these off easily during ill advised attack by Carthage on my legion from Messana on the beaches outside of Syracuse) That was how I was able to take all of Sicilia so quickly in the first five years of the game.

All in all, it is a fair beginning. I am having a blast. I hope everyone doesn't mind my going on so much about that battle. I realize that it was no real great feat to win against such a force. It was that the tactics went so well, text book really, that I had to share a little of the drama with everybody. I've never seen such a large army fold up in such a way (except my own). I was impressed with how long some of the Town Malitia held out to be honest. I am just relieved that they weren't Libyan spearmen supported by Carthage's Long Shield cavalry with Elephants, led by one of the Hamilcar family. It would have been a rather different outcome indeed!

Elephants = javelins if you want to kill them.

Random, I know, but if you're facing Carthage you should know.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ave Rotorgun, it seems like you have an interesting campaign going on so far. The battle you described reminds me of Zama, where Scipio Africanus Major's Numidian cavalry chased off the Carthaginian horses and then slammed into Hannibal's rear. Good job.

I'm curious as to who your main general was for that battle. Usually for my Scipii campaigns I bring out Julianus (faction heir at the start of the game) but I know some people use other guys.

As for the Greek situation, you lucked out with the Carthaginians taking Syracuse first but be advised that you will probably have to make war with them sooner or later. The reason for this is that all of the Carthaginian/Numidian provinces (minus Siwa, which the Egyptians are pretty quick to take) and Syracuse do not equal fifteen, the desired goal for the short campaign. Unless you were to turn on the Spanish (or any other barbarian allies but the Julii usually control that portion of the Mediterranian by then) the only real target remaining to you will be the Greek territories, such as Crete, Rhodes, and the Peloponessian mainland.

I'm assuming you will have to betray Numidia eventually to finish the game, so good luck on that. I generally find them to be tenacious when you take Cirta, their capital so best of luck there.

I look forward to more progress reports, this is turning out very interestingly.

~General Hankerchief
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

North Af from LepMag to the PofH equals 7
    Sicily Equals 3 (assmuing the Carths take SYra, then you have no greek war)
    Add Palma and we're up to 11.

I'd try to add Caralis before the Julii can get there.

I'd try for Cordoba or Carth Nov with the army that nabs Palma.

Then all you need is 2 of the following 3 (Kydonia, Halicarnassus, Cyrene) all of which are rebel at start and tend to stay that way for a while. A few choice bribes and a quick garrison and you're in.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Smile Re: Roman: Scipii

Ave Rotorgun, it seems like you have an interesting campaign going on so far. The battle you described reminds me of Zama, where Scipio Africanus Major's Numidian cavalry chased off the Carthaginian horses and then slammed into Hannibal's rear. Good job. :balloon2
    Appreciate it. The main diferences were no elephants present, and I had a way to hide my strike cavalry. What a stroke of fortune to have a big rock promontory to hide them behind.
    I'm curious as to who your main general was for that battle. Usually for my Scipii campaigns I bring out Julianus (faction heir at the start of the game) but I know some people use other guys.
    One Quintus Scipio, age 52 - three command stars, 2 management pillars and 6 influence wreaths. I like to develop all my leaders if possible. This gives me better choices for faction hier if I need to change them.
    As for the Greek situation, you lucked out with the Carthaginians taking Syracuse first but be advised that you will probably have to make war with them sooner or later. The reason for this is that all of the Carthaginian/Numidian provinces (minus Siwa, which the Egyptians are pretty quick to take) and Syracuse do not equal fifteen, the desired goal for the short campaign. Unless you were to turn on the Spanish (or any other barbarian allies but the Julii usually control that portion of the Mediterranian by then) the only real target remaining to you will be the Greek territories, such as Crete, Rhodes, and the Peloponessian mainland.
    Indeed. Unless the Greeks attack me first (they still have a small force stationed camping outside Syracuse), or the Senate orders me to attack them, I shall try to take Palma and use it as a staging area for an invasion of Hispania. I may have to to finish off Corduba if the Spaniards fail to take it. I shall use the pretense that the Spanish failed to properly support me against Carthage by allowing the rebel pirates to attack my ships. I will do the honorable thing and cancel my treaties with them first (no Pearl Harbor trauma here). I also have a plan lurking in the dark recesses of my mind....something involving the dread Egyptians perhaps? An early strike at them, before they can become a powerhouse, and when they are engaged in a war with Parthia, Selucia, or Pontus, etc. is a consideration.
    I'm assuming you will have to betray Numidia eventually to finish the game, so good luck on that. I generally find them to be tenacious when you take Cirta, their capital so best of luck there.
    I will do so as a last resort, only after due consideration of previous events with Spain, etc. I will definately need them in my corner if I invade Egypt!
    I look forward to more progress reports, this is turning out very interestingly.
    ~General Hankerchief
    I'll send them. Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by rotorgun; 04-17-2006 at 04:39.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Exclamation Re: Roman: Scipii

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    North Af from LepMag to the PofH equals 7
    Sicily Equals 3 (assmuing the Carths take SYra, then you have no greek war)
    Add Palma and we're up to 11.

I'd try to add Caralis before the Julii can get there.

I'd try for Cordoba or Carth Nov with the army that nabs Palma.

Then all you need is 2 of the following 3 (Kydonia, Halicarnassus, Cyrene) all of which are rebel at start and tend to stay that way for a while. A few choice bribes and a quick garrison and you're in.
    Hello Seamus! I didn't see you sneak in there. Good advice about Caralis; the opportunistic Julii already grabbed it when I was involved with a small naval war with Carthage and the Pirates.

As for Nuevo Carthago, my alleged Spanish allies have taken it already, and have failed to offer it to me for a gift. Imagine! The nerve of these Cabrones!

Kydonia is very do-able. I hadn't thought of that to be frank. Go idea. Cyrene is in the hands of Macedonia no doubt! Very odd. That wouldn't stop me from taking it, as I will need it as a base if I move against the Pharoh's dominions.

Bribes.....hmmm. I like it!

It's good to speak to you again comrade. As always, good advice from my Magister Equitum.
    Last edited by rotorgun; 04-17-2006 at 04:57.
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

I don't know about the latest patches but the Julii are usually extraordinarily slow at taking the Gallic settlements at the northern end of the penisular. Why not sail round Italy and add those to your count.

Segestica? Salona? The Brutii sometimes take those, sometimes not. Beats sailing out to Anatolia for the final province..

Smile Re: Roman: Scipii

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I don't know about the latest patches but the Julii are usually extraordinarily slow at taking the Gallic settlements at the northern end of the penisular. Why not sail round Italy and add those to your count.

Segestica? Salona? The Brutii sometimes take those, sometimes not. Beats sailing out to Anatolia for the final province..
    Hail Craterus, mighty leader of the Cyber-phalanx!

That is a definate possibility that I'll watch for. I'm curious how the AI performs with the 1.5 & 1.6 patches myself. It certainly hasn't honored the Carthaginians very well. I coul be that I'm only playing a Med/Med campaign. I probably should have went of Hard/Hard, but I wanted to see how the game feels with the new changes. (I've always been a bit cautious that way, a lil' like Ol'e Pete Longstreet of the Confederacy)

Appreciate the come back.
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

Cyber-phalanx? You have me confused with someone else. Cav is my speciality.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Cyber-phalanx? You have me confused with someone else. Cav is my speciality.
    I forgot that I'm afraid. It's just that the name of Craterus is so identified with the Macedonian Taxis. I think he commanded the Companions once as well, no? Perhaps I might interest you in becoming another of my Magister Equitum such as is Seamus Fermanagh?
    Last edited by rotorgun; 04-17-2006 at 22:40.
    Rotorgun
    Onasander

Craterus did start out commanding infantry, but went on to command the (in)famous Companion cavalry. Enough with the history lesson...

I'd be very happy to accept that title, thanks rotorgun.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast