And where is Helia?

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: The Greek Cities

I mean Helicarnasus

Halicarnasus.
    And why didn't you capture Athens?

ah, be more proactive! assault them! That's the secret to my speed. I just besiege, wait a turn to build as many rams as I can, and banzai, I go in and storm the gates. With hoplites your troops are naturally defensively strong so they will be able to defend the breach against anyone hoping to stop you, so why not? Take down the walls, go in! Oh, my speed was not only due to the stormings I did, though... bribes lubricated my way through the Mediterranean very considerably, I'll give you that... That's why I had so few field battles--if they contained militia hoplites and peltasts, they joined my side. If they didn't they were simply bribed away and their family members with them. I've only had to fight a handful of field battles because the rest of them, what I felt too lazy to attack I just bribed. Every army has a diplomat accompanying it, together with one diplomat per faction that I am not at war with, as 'ambassador' cum map salesman, and one diplomat near every frontier city I have. It's a good system that ensures no army can come close without you bribing it away unless it has an heir or leader in it.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ilia, he took Athens by blockade not assault... cool! The three of us are online now! Nice. I'm in Singapore, Ilia's from Russia, where's Franc from?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    ah, be more proactive! assault them! That's the secret to my speed. I just besiege, wait a turn to build as many rams as I can, and banzai, I go in and storm the gates. With hoplites your troops are naturally defensively strong so they will be able to defend the breach against anyone hoping to stop you, so why not? Take down the walls, go in! Oh, my speed was not only due to the stormings I did, though... bribes lubricated my way through the Mediterranean very considerably, I'll give you that... That's why I had so few field battles--if they contained militia hoplites and peltasts, they joined my side. If they didn't they were simply bribed away and their family members with them. I've only had to fight a handful of field battles because the rest of them, what I felt too lazy to attack I just bribed. Every army has a diplomat accompanying it, together with one diplomat per faction that I am not at war with, as 'ambassador' cum map salesman, and one diplomat near every frontier city I have. It's a good system that ensures no army can come close without you bribing it away unless it has an heir or leader in it.
    I see. I never bribe! I do not like that!

I decided to use " no-bribing " in my German campaign , with the exception of rebels and small armies , also I re-bribed F.M.

I just decided to skip one day in my institute ( it is 11:21 Moscow time ).
    Edit I mean A.M. time.
    Last edited by IliaDN; 05-25-2005 at 08:30.

I am in Germany. It is half past 9.

oh cool... well, I use bribes whenever possible, after all, that's what diplomats are for, eh? But I only bribe to a limit, because my treasury has to be able to support that on top of being able to develop all my cities' buildings, and still finance new units. Hence Greece is a nice civ for that, but not the barb factions. I'll have to fight a lot for Germania, but I'll simply lure them into attacking so I can fight defensive. :-D Heroic victories, anyone?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I do not bribe. I am a warrior, not a dealer.
    Germania is sure fun What will be your road map? First Alesia and the south? (That's how I did it. It's fun) Or start with the Britons. Or going directly to Rome? Or something completly new?

[QUOTE=Franconicus]I do not bribe. I am a warrior, not a dealer.
    QUOTE]
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    IGermania is sure fun What will be your road map? First Alesia and the south? (That's how I did it. It's fun) Or start with the Britons. Or going directly to Rome? Or something completly new?
    And what if I did all at the same time?

I have to admit that I did not attack Athens. I just laid siege on it and waited. So I got it without a fight. But it takes time!
    Even I assaulted Athens, I think I only took 10 casualties.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Yep, Athens is easy to take out. Those militia hops are pathetic on walls. You'll lose a couple of guys to towers inevitably upon approach.

As for bribing, I think that in 1.0, bribing was too easy. However, 1.2 made it too hard. It's absurd to have two measly captain led rebel units demand 6k+ as a bribe.

For Germania, I went in all directions. I sent one army to Alesia and sacked it ASAP which then moved southward and into Spain. My faction leader's army captured Denmark and moved south. The easternmost army took rebel towns along the way to Northern Italy. Everything else poured south, sacking towns along the way.

Soon, I was trashing all of Italy.

Wait a minute! Greek thread here! But anyway. Just posted to say I'm closing shop here and moving to Germania's thread, I've finished my Greek campaign in grand style with 5 stormings in one turn. The only factions I have not engaged: the HA factions, and Spain. Yay! Played for 5 hours yesterday, frantic action. I end at turn 34 with 55 provinces.

A conclusion to my campaign follows.

Factions destroyed:
    Macedon
    Senate
    Julii
    Scipii
    Brutii
    Pontus
    Thrace
    Dacia
    Carthage

Factions left with one province
    Seleucids
    Egypt

Factions at war that do not fall into above categories
    Gaul
    Numidia
    Germania

Total casualties: 8402 Greeks

Total enemy casualties:
    464 Numidians
    2656 Carthaginians
    2061 Macedonians
    1023 Gauls
    1053 Thracians
    3123 Seleucids
    1002 Egyptians
    1759 Scipii
    2700 Brutii
    2182 Senate
    2873 Julii
    2322 Pontics
    3975 Rebels

Total: 27193

Thus ends the Greek Cities Campaign. Off to Germania!

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Default Spartan hopalite

Dude! These shizznits are awesome!!
    My 80 units of Spartan Hop. single-handedly defeated three groups of 120-units of levy pikemen with only 15 lost!

Default Re: Spartan hopalite

...wow, they are good, but you squandered them as phalanx troops? 15 out of 80 is a very big proportion for Spartans, you know... Better used as a storming party than a field troop if you've only got one unit...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Bad news!
    My African army is doing fine. I shipped part of it to Thapsus and attacked it. I lost 1,000 the enemy 2,700. There was a short riot in Carthage but this is o.k. now. The Scipii landed with 3 FM near Carthage and laid siege it. I sunk their ships called the army from Thapsus and bnow they are trapped.

My Greece armies are not dooing that good! My main army defeated the Brutti though and took Salona. Thessa, however, had a epidemic. When it was over, I put a FM there a built some pretty fine troops there. I sent them to catch a Macedonian FM, who was maroding aroung. They did it; but when they returned those bloody Brutii had bribed Thessa So I had to take it away.

I also built a big army in Pergamum with three FM. When the Pontus attacked me, I was relaxed. I was so much stronger than them that I decided to let the computer do the job. Terrible mistake. Guess what - I lost the fight, the town and my brothers there.

Bad news!
    I was so much stronger than them that I decided to let the computer do the job. Terrible mistake. Guess what - I lost the fight, the town and my brothers there.
    No , no , no you are playing H or VH don't autorsolve battles - it will be horrible.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

That's true. auto resolve is tied to the campaign level and can be horrible. It's annoying how you are often forced even to fight out battles with tiny rebel armies because the comp will lose the batle for you or give a phyrric victory.

Default spartan hoplites

why can Sparta the only city to produce Spartan Hoplites?? I want my other cities to have them too...(sob)

There is so called troop resource some provinces have this feature for some sp. troops ( for ex. Sparta and Syracuse have spartan resources , so it is possible to train spartans there when all requirements for them are completed ).

Default The Greek Cities

My African army is still busy there. After defeating the Carthagians and fighting riots they are now busy fighting Numidian invasians. So I had to start the invasion of Italy without them. Taking the Brutii home towns was very easy. I attacked simulateously with two armies and took both towns. Now the refresh and will then go north. I send another army straight to Rome. Senate garrison was very weak but I was taken by surprise by two big armies in the country. So my army was destroit. I had two 10* generals. One was killed at Rome - but he was old anyway.

Who is interested in a Brittania Challange Game? With some extra rules to improve difficulty level!

You got my attention.

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

sounds interesting but i dont know what that is

Take a look at the Entrance Hall.

All hands to the Entrance Hall.

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

ah
    now i see
    sounds fun althogh im just an average joe at R:tw ill it a shot

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

one question.....if you ally with the senate and all of the roman factions (after withdrawing from syracuse and mking it rebel) would the romans not attck you? just wondering cos its annoying when trying to get rid macedon
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast