Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTW multiplayer is dead

Senior Member Senior Member FearZeus's Avatar

Default RTW multiplayer is dead

Well guys,

After 2 years of total war i am now sadly leaving, I have never waited for a game with such anticipation as I had for this game, and yet it absolutly sucks!
    the multiplayer laggs, chat is a mess (to use and read) the movement of map is all over the place, moving army in formation is ugly and difficult, graphics os characters from max height is ugly to say the least, I just so unhappy with this games multiplayer side.

As for singler player, well I have not played single player yet but as most friends that know me on MTW know that I am not a single player type person on any game no matter how good, I like to be imvolved with real people, yes I like the arguments and slagging off as well ;)

Anyway I can't see anything being able to fix this game in the form of patches for a long time, besides it just looks like they have not got an interest tbh.

I leave now in search of my next big favourite game and wish all my old friends luck with RTW!

See you guys

Default Re: RTW multiplayer is dead

Hello Zeus, it's Thing

It's too bad this had to happen to Total War games. I can't blame you for having reasonable standards. Keep in touch with us about the games you find! I'm sure the site will be back up soon.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Senior Member Senior Member RTKLamorak's Avatar

i played my first.... and last pre-patch RTW MP game yesterday!!

After SEVENTEEN crash to desktops before getting into the lobby (yes i counted), it was worse than i could have ever expected. The foyer interface is FAR WORSE that MTW 1.0 (is that even possible?!?!) , i mean you cant even see pings for crying out loud!?!??! .. and i wont even get into the rest. i have NEVER seen a more crappy, thoughtless, unstable, and downright lame multiplayer interface in my entire life, period.

seriously... what a farce. They should be ashamed to release it in that state imo.

Sorry to see you are leaving Zeus, but RTW MP has already been killed imo. Yea their will be a hardcore who will wait for this beta to be brought up to acceptable standards, but all the new players who dont have the patience will be lost for good, so basically the community has been stunted from the word go (i think that is what CA wants tho, why else could it be released before even being tested?), and will eventually die for good (again maybe that is their plan, going by the experience of the last tw titles it wouldnt suprise me).

im so irritated im gonna have to stop there before i get to ....
    Last edited by RTKLamorak; 10-04-2004 at 13:44.

As much i enjoy RTW SP, i am quite dispointed too, as in 2 week i manage to log in only once (and couldnt even play as i have felt out of sync).... 1st my game was freezing, now i am plagued with crash to desktop when trying to log in....

Nice to hear from you guys,

I agree totally lammy, it's very annoying indeed... this is not the game i wanted and i am taking mine back for a full refund! hello thing ;) what's up with the forum m8? any ideas?

I will keep to the forums but as for RTW it's the END for me!

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

only 17, i been trying for over an hour.

Its what awaits me that seems to be the scary thing.

EDIT: Hi Zeus

To any CA guys that happen per chance to drop by this thread......

Congratulations!! Does this make you feel good?

Sorry to see you leave Zeus

.....Orda

Hi Baz, Order,

I will miss you all on the battlefeild as you will miss my ranting, but i'm gonna hang around the forums for a while, hopefully see if we can get CA to put this game's multiplayer back up there with shogun and medieval ;)
    Can you guys beleive that this game is so bad?

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Sux to see good peeps drop out.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

hey total agree with your thoughts and other's

to be honest i don't even see this game as another installment of TW game series.

MP is a complete joke

the MTW MP forum wasnt brilliant BUT it was easy to understand and gave you the basic infomation ie ping\map\era\florin level and 4VS4
    (and it was nice and bright) unlike a dark RTW where its nearly impossible to keep up with the half displayed text chat.

if CA where to totally change the MP gamespy lobby\interface back to something like MTW, i might be interested in learning how to play the game!!!
    (in a mp sense)
    i find the game speed rather fast and its a nightmare trying to control your units, grouping is a complete joke, and the camara is a pain

with roman factions the foot units all look the same!!!!!

hehe and lets not forget you dont need a gamespy account to log-in

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Good luck !

Let us know if you find anything else which has good, stable, playable, inttelligent multiplayer.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Good luck !

Let us know if you find anything else which has good, stable, playable, inttelligent multiplayer.
    Now that I won't be allocating any free time to RTW I will be dedicating all my time to the best strat game around now that CA clearly don't want this number 1 spot anymore!

Wach this space...

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Roger that !

ohh btw I was out of TW since late MTW:VI, I hoped for the best in RTW MP but now yeah I can assure you (CA) that I won't be buying RTW (unless it's patched to normalcy in MP). I thought I'd buy it for SP, but then again do I really have that much time ? did I not suffer endless hours of crashes with MTW ? Yes I did..... Am I a fool to do it again ? Nope.

I will be around on these forums, since I like them and I like the people here.
    See you around !

Last edited by Shahed; 10-04-2004 at 19:51.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

Sinan, I just bought it and im put off already.

I have not even been able to play a game yet. I got to the lobby once and was so disgusted by the 1980's geocities style interface i had to leave!

I have heard of beta testing but this takes the P***

TBH,

I can only recommend that all of us that have the choice to return our games do so until the patch is out! and if the patch aint done it's job return it again!

There are no excuses from CA to do a bad job on the patch because there are some fantastic topics on here that have already listed the most importatnt bugs, problems, etc

Baz when you do get in a game your gonna be shock at just how ugly is looks there too :(

What cracks me up is CAs single response has been that the people in the lobby seem to be having fun.

What most of these players don't realize however is that with the sync issues; they aren't even playing the same game as the other players in their game - LOL!

I'm sure CA will be defensive about the multiplayer and right these complaints off as "can't please the die hards wargamers" or whatever they said in the interview. But make no mistake. These issues with multiplayer aren't rants. The multiplayer right now is a complete failure to deliver even a mediocre online gaming experience.

:(
    Jacta alea est!

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

This was going to be my first TW game which I would seriously consider being well versed in the MP part of it. I wanted to get good from the beginning and learn new strats along with the rest of the community. Oh wait - what community? This micky mouse developement of the MP experience is driving core members off in droves (as this thread indicates) and forever snubs new recruits who wanted to see what TW MP was all about. Unless a massive patch is released which fixed these MP bugs, the terrible grouping problems and AI deficiencies (to name but a few) - then I can't see myself even being interested in the SP portion or even this forum. There's no need in talking about a game which is hamstringed by problems which should have long been adressed. I've never seen such a lack of polish on a product.
    robotica erotica

Quote Originally Posted by FearZeus
    TBH,

There are no excuses from CA to do a bad job on the patch because there are some fantastic topics on here that have already listed the most importatnt bugs, problems, etc
    I don't know ... I mean the game shipped with 3 showstopper bugs in multiplayer (sync issue, crash to desktop and memory leak). In addition, we've got lots of other things that are steps backwards from MTW. So at this point the most we can expect from a patch is to get a close to MTW multiplayer game with better graphics.

Right?
    Jacta alea est!

Well,

All we can hope for at the moment is that CA team read these forums and have the decency to let us know what is going on! In the mean time lets just list as much as we can so they can correct everything!

STW and MTW never had any where near as bad a response as this game, and to be honest they need to be working over time to get it right or it will be too late.

I think Medieval had a lot less hype though - less expectations.

See a paint flaw or scratch on a Porche and it's an outrage - see one on a Celica and it's a lot more "ho-hum"

they know we have missgivings, now they need to do the giving.
    robotica erotica

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

I am so disappointed.

I never played M:TW, not to mention the S:TW online; bad connections. When I got access to faster connections, the golden age of M:TW was at the end and I decided to wait for the Rome; after all, where is the sense in playing Medieval only to shift to Rome - just when I start to be good at M:TW - and be blown away by Rome’s graphics, possibilities and features. I have begun organizing my own clan for Rome, for crying out loud!

And what now? Well, I see all those veterans I was hoping to encounter online in honorable fights cursing the game and wowing not to touch it at all or only to touch it after the patch has come out. By the time I get my clan settled, no one respectable will be playing the damn game, and I can only hope for some “raving fanboys” to fight with!

Oh, yes, I will buy the game. I won’t say otherwise, I know I will buy the game. I have never waited for any game as long and hopeful as I have waited this one (except for Fallout 3, that is, after 5 years been bought off from Interplay by another company and set to status zero: fresh beginning!) and I will buy it and I will play it! And I will hope that the patch will fix the issues at hand very soon.

I will buy the game because I am a stubborn mule. Not because I am an optimist, I have long learned that such a way of thinking is most dangerous one, but I still hope that things will be better.

I will buy the game and play it because I cannot admit to myself that it is (MP part) bad as most of the people say here. In my heart, I know it probably is, but I will buy it anyway.

But I am soooo disappointed and disgruntled and disillusioned…

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Hi voigtkampf

Sorry to hear u never played on-line before. I'm gonna try sticking around the MTW server and hopefully many of the old vets will stick around there too. You might get some good games yet :). Many are still willing to help new peeps.

As for the campaign, I'm seriously getting more enjoyment from HellenicTW than Rome right now. If you get annoyed with RTW, I encourage you to DL that mod, its very well done.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

hi voigtkampf

i understand totally with wot your saying

the problem with RTW is its more like Age of Empires then STW\Mi\We\MTW\VI
    most of the Vet's have battled online at one time or another with these tw versions and probably expected a better game that kept the good stuff and improved on the not so good stuff!!!!

well for some reason CA have deciced to aim the new product at 12 year's or peeps with limited abilitys!!

play for 2 week's and be the best,ie 50% win 50% lose but no skill needed
    (then start playing doom3)
    rather then needing to play for many months before "becoming a ok player"

in all honesty i think this is a end of a era!!!

i could have download rtw from the internet BUT having so much respect for CA work and enjoying MP "i would never do so", BUT i feel cheated
    and i suspect many other vet's feel the same

maybe CA should give someone else the opportuinty to run with this game engine, someone more hungary and creative then theirselfs!!!
    then they can go and join Eidos

Quote Originally Posted by Pitt_Slayer
    hi voigtkampf

i understand totally with wot your saying

the problem with RTW is its more like Age of Empires then STW\Mi\We\MTW\VI
    most of the Vet's have battled online at one time or another with these tw versions and probably expected a better game that kept the good stuff and improved on the not so good stuff!!!!

well for some reason CA have deciced to aim the new product at 12 year's or peeps with limited abilitys!!

play for 2 week's and be the best,ie 50% win 50% lose but no skill needed
    (then start playing doom3)
    rather then needing to play for many months before "becoming a ok player"

in all honesty i think this is a end of a era!!!

i could have download rtw from the internet BUT having so much respect for CA work and enjoying MP "i would never do so", BUT i feel cheated
    and i suspect many other vet's feel the same

maybe CA should give someone else the opportuinty to run with this game engine, someone more hungary and creative then theirselfs!!!
    then they can go and join Eidos
    Someone like blizzard ;)

or Ensemble Studios.

They have a good online Matchmaking system - ESO
    robotica erotica

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Zeus:

I want you to know that I truly enjoyed each of our battles.

You earned my respect on the field, and hopefully things will improve to the point that we can meet again. I look forward to that day.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Senior Member Senior Member RTKLamorak's Avatar

this is a sad thread :'(

Exclamation Re: RTW multiplayer is dead

Did you notice that with each next Total war game the controls are more and more shitty ? I mean the RTW is totally unreadable. After playing an hour my eyes hurt. Colors have no contrast everything looks like washed out. In the battle mode - Oh my fu..in GOD total suckiness. Sweet were the days of Shogun - nicely colored troops and map, very good control cards in 3d mode.. What the hell is this, I cant believe it :/

Quote Originally Posted by RTKLamorak
    this is a sad thread :'(
    EmoRome: Total War
    robotica erotica

Ichi,

I watched you improve no end on the battlefield to a point where I myself would have to use every scrap of skill and knowledge to defeat you, and still struggle to do so! Gone are those days now that RTW is here, I would go back to MTW but after 2 years of the same game and no patches to refresh my senses that sadly won't be happening.

As I said in an earlier post, my time will now be spent on reviewing new strat games that even I must admit, may be guilty of ignoring as I was so smitten by the total war series until now!

Lammy, this is equally a sad time for me too, I will miss each and everyone of you, you all tought me so much in terms of skill on the battlefeild to my attitude in life ;) I see myself as a better person for it, and I thank you guys!

Now watch this space I'm gonna hunt down the best strat games out there and report them back here... My mission starts today eheh ;)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast