Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spain

Default Re: Spain

Nevermind I found out how to do it

Ok so Ive been playing it and heres my progress:

Starting game:
    Immediatly i began building economic buildings and getting tribute from neighboring regions. i also make ports for trade and a strong navy. i take Corduba and Numantia then get ceasfires from Gaul and Carthage after. so when my economy is running smoothly i start making Iberian inf. and Sucartii. these would be important as Gaul has started to invade Spain to take back what it lost. eventually after some close called decisive victories i not only pushed out the Gauls but took 2 of there provinces. this began a conflict with the Gauls I like to call Spainic-Gallic wars. my navy will play in important role later on...

well thats all i got so far ill keep you informed

oops sorry just found out i should post that in stories sorry

I don't like Spain they have poor armies from my point of view.If you wan't to play sucessfully you must bribe everyone you can,and honestly I find that boring.I wan't to play with them but their Scutarii are to weak for chosen swordsman of the gauls even swordsman if used corectly is beter then scutarii.In Spain you can build real economic empire,but what after that?
    Where to expand?I would expand further north to Gaul but we all know that without bribery that would not be possible,also I don't think that any force Spain can built can match Roman post Marius Army.Only good troop is Bull warior,and I must said that they are awesome troops,but I realy find it borring to play with just one selection of troops.Can anybody say that I'm wrong?I admit that Spain is Chalenge but I dont think its possible win this campaighn withaout bribery,so I anostly believe that this faction can not rule the world without cheating(and I find bribery as cheating!!!!).
    If someone have other opinion I would like if he share this opinion with me,thanks

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Scutarii volleys are always powerful. There is no way they are weak: the Roman legions were modelled after the Scutarii, with the scutum and gladius. The Gauls have low morale, and after the two volleys at least one unit should rout. Afterwards, just send in the bull warriors and cavalry and use the Roman tactics of divide and conquer. If even Numidia can defeat armies, Iberia is definitely no problem. The Gauls especially are easy prey: They're under attack by at least the Julii and Britons, if not the Germans. Gaul is usually the first faction to fall.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

I'm using v1.5 of vanilla RTW, no BI, and I'm using the unofficial bug fix patch.

Since this is only my second campaign after not having played for at least a year, feels more like 2...I'm having fun. The spaniards are definately tough with both Gaul and Julii coming right at me. I took the benefit of saving before a big fight and doing some auto-resolve battles. In my next 5-6 turns I'll see two fulls stacks of Julii, and 2 1/2 fulls stacks of Gauls all heading to Osca.

As soon as I loaded up the game, I went and took over the single carthaginian town and the gaulish town. First buildings in all my towns were roads and mines and markets...so I'm getting plenty of cash. I'm not bribing anyone as I don't like to us it, but I am picking up as many units in the field that my generals can find, as possible.

I have trade agreements with most of the factions near me save all the roman factions and the gauls.

I started to fortify Osca and I have 4 towns as my unit producing towns, I've gone all Esus temples for now because I want Bull Warriors, and naked fanatics are nice also and I'm not good at running multiple temples and moving troops around to get the benefits of all the different temples. I had 2 of three forts set up around Osca, but I've had to pull back all my troops to Osca and a 5 star general that I've cultivated thats hanging out next to Osca. I own all of the spanish peninsula, and I managed to bribe one rebel town thats almost directly south of Italy...near the egypt area...which I will use later on.

My strategy after the next few turns of constant full stack fights is going to be building up my navy which I'm working on now, and taking that little island off the coast of Osca. That place is a hatasti breeding ground for the Julii and that needs to stop. I figure if I can field a decent navy in that area, I can sink a lot of Julii ships and keep them weak. Then I can work on the gauls, I think if I can nab two or three towns of theirs I can break their momentum.

For unit make up's, I'm using mainly what I can dredge up for mercenaries...Iberian infantry, and some skirmishers are the bulk. I have some naked fanatics coming in, but I'm not relying on them because of the 2 turn build time...which kinda sucks, but it's still doable, they are nice shock troops and can definately hold a line from what I've seen so far. I'm aiming for bull warriors, then perhaps a good mix of 3-4 cav units and 3-4 archer units. I'll have to see what they have later on down the line.

I think overall, I'm going to sweep north in Gaul lands, and take out the Britons as well....leaving Germania intact and see if I can keep good relations with them. Then I'll head into the Italian peninsula...I hate trying for Africa and East asia because there are so few provinces for the size of the area as opposed to Italy/Greece/Macedonia.

Every time I've played a Roman campaign, the Brutti go east, the Julii go west and the Scipii go south. It will be interesting to see how it turns out if I can nip the romans in the butt early and see if some of the other factions can hold their own for once.

So far I like the spanish, but I'll have to get a bit deeper into their roster of units before I can make a final determination. I have a weakness for cavalry, I love em...and I know thats not one of spains hot points. I'll update this info in another bunch of turns to let you know how my plan worked out...
    Last edited by grapedog; 08-26-2006 at 08:40.

I haven't started from my spot last night, but I've been thinking strategy over. If I go east and try and take some of the italian boot, I'll probably have the senate on me for the entire game, but I'm thinking about taking the islands between spain and italy so I can better control the Julii/Scipii navy. I think after that, I'm in a toss-up after that. I can go south and fight off the Brutii, or I can go north and fight the gauls. I figure south might be the better option though, if I can control the islands and block Scipii, i can let the gauls/germans and britons take their tolls on the Julii...hopefully keeping them smaller and I can work on Scipii, letting the Brutii head West into Greece and Macedonia.

Right now none of the factions of Rome will talk to me, so I'm going to see if I can secure contracts with everyone else, and then just beat up the romans navy wise and see how much the rest of the factions can beat up on the romans. I'll try and sell cash and maps and anything for factions to attack Roman areas...I'd love to see the Romans quashed since they always seem to win anyhow.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I actually thought pretty well of the Spanish roundshields in an old spain game. Took lots of casualties, but I then had 6 somewhat over-sized units at 2 silver or better -- fun to play with. It was a medium game, I think, so I had lots of fun sending doggies into packs of gauls.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

As it sometimes happens, things did not go exactly to plan. The Gauls kept sending huge armies at me, though the Julii stopped. I got so annoyed with the Gauls that I took Narbo Martius(my main general is right now 10 stars...but 60 years old).

I also took the next island over to the East from Palma, SE from Narbo Martius...a Julii settlement. The Julii are now sending armies by boat but I keep sinking them, while the Gauls just keep coming after me. The Britons are going after Germania, and Germania is being squeezed by Dacia as well who has expanded quite a bit from my last map update.

I'm debating what to do now, I think I may just trash all the buildings on that little island east of Palma and let it revolt and leave the island. Let the Julii come back in and fix it. I'll pull back and finish off the Gauls I think since they are being so annoying. They can't have much left in the tank, and I have roughly three full stacks of armies marching around.

The only real problem is money, after playing the Brutii campaign it's a definate shock to the system, but it's still do-able, I'm just much slower in my growth.

--------------

edit/add: Its a bunch of turns later and everything has turned to crap...Numidia was my one big trading buddy, but they declared on me. I had three 10 stack navy's out and about killing Romans, but when Numidia declared me it all went to hell and I went into serious negative numbers. Somehow Gaul is STILL throwing full stacks at me, though it's almost all warbands with a few chosen archers and swordsmen. Julii has also stepped up their attacks AND their navy...most of my coastal cities and gaul cities have been under seige and unable to retrain troops because of my negative cash flow.

I managed to take the Numidia town just south of spain across the ocean, i ransacked it, exterminated the populace and retrained most of my troops. These next few turns could break me, but I think I can pull through. I'll try and sack one more Numidia town, then destroy all the buildings and gift it for peace. I grabbed a ceasefire with them for one turn before they re-declared...so, I'm gonna have to teach them a lesson. I've been gearing up for Gaul, and those extra troops are the only thing saving me at this point...so hopefully If I can get Numidia to back off, I can retrain and finally nip Gaul in the head, chest and extremeties once and for all...

I don't know WHAT in the hell the Romans are doing, they are no where to be found...shouldn't Scipii be taking over the southern continent...well, he's not...and Julii are not taking over Gaul...I don't know whats going on sadly....i was hoping the Romans would do their things, but they are not....

----------------------------

Another edit/add:

Ok, it's been a bunch more turns, i did some auto-resolving even though it generates higher losses to get through some tougher parts more quickly, and get back into the black.

The Gauls got a mid sized army into my mainland and captured one of my cities breifly...but I took it back about 3 turns later with mix and match units from the surrounding cities.

I went further south on the southern continent and grabbed the next Numidia town...

I also took Lemonum briefly, trashed all the buildings and pulled out. I grabbed Lugdunum and Alesia too...the turn after I took Alesia I got hit with the friggin plague. I had 5 generals in that army...and they are all infected now.

I'm on the warpath and Gaul is going to get a serious beat down now...

I don't think I'll win this one in the time alloted to me yet, I've been exterminating as I go for the extra cash to re-train all my troops, i know that will come back to haunt me cash wise down the road, not pulling in as much taxes, but I won't have to worry as much about troops hopefully.
    Last edited by grapedog; 08-29-2006 at 14:07.

Hi, first post for me.

I decided to start a spanish campaign the other week (H/H), been playing a long greek one and gotten sick of phalanx, so wanted to go far away as possible.

Started off pretty slow, and just got control of the iberian penninsula, concentrating on my economy for the start, the gauls kept coming in their massive armies, so my army was training itself, up, even though it needed to be reinforced quite heavily.

[Got a picture but i need to post atleast 1 post apparently]

As you can see, theres quite a few super powers in the world at the moment!

Im allied with egypt, armenia and scythia.

At war with the romans and gaul.

Carthage and gaul are allied, and the britons are just at war with everyone i think, they keep attacking my navy, then signing ceasefires every so often. But they're getting their arses kicked by the Scipii now, who are pushing into middle europe.

Pontus is a protectorate of the brutii, who are using them to attack into armenia.

I've recently taken segesta and raised it twice, going to build barbarian buildings , does it convert it slowly over time?

I've left the remainder of the gauls as a buffer inbetween britain and plan on joining in when the romans have their civil war (gonna be ugly in greece)

Ive got 3 armies, pretty similar to the one in the picture, gonna have to send one back to spain soon though to do some massacreing of cities.

I'll keep you updated if anything interesting happens ;)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/merp/spain.jpg

Sorry, image for the post above, i couldn't see an edit button (don't know if that would count as 1 post aswell)

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Welocme to the org!

Sorry, image for the post above, i couldn't see an edit button (don't know if that would count as 1 post aswell
    You need to be a member to edit your own posts.

I've left the remainder of the gauls as a buffer inbetween britain and plan on joining in when the romans have their civil war (gonna be ugly in greece)
    Romans wont have civil war if you are other faction.

I suggest ambushes in Sardinia.There are lots of trees to make good ambushes.

Also, Prepare (very) good navies and disenbark in Londinium, Ebracum and Deva.Siege and capture.Then go to Samarobriva and start the end of the British people!

Caius

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Thanks for the info.

My navy is pretty strong, got about 3 fleets at 300 men strong each (on large unit size) with gold and silver chevrons, got them early to stop the romans landing in oscar.

I've managed to trash a few post marius julii armies using the hammer and anvil technique, the cavalry seems to be performing more than its stats show it to though, but i ain't complaining.

I think i might take sicily now i know they won't have a civil war. Can't be bothered to go north anymore, want some sun.

Maybe i can boat across an army into carthage at gibralta, help out my egyptian allies, although it'll probably lead to war with them, maybe just tingi, so i can get a foothold.

Do spain get access to onagers or any siege artillery?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Do spain get access to onagers or any siege artillery?
    Im not sure.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

They do in custom battle; I don't think they can in imperial campaign, you'll need a fix for that.

Welcome to the Org.

Dont mean to burst Caius' bubble, but the Romans can get the Civil war even when you are not a roman faction. It just takes longer than usual.

Unless I am totally mistaken. But I dont think so

RM3

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3
    Welcome to the Org.

Dont mean to burst Caius' bubble, but the Romans can get the Civil war even when you are not a roman faction. It just takes longer than usual.

Unless I am totally mistaken. But I dont think so

RM3
    Bad Rm3

You will burn for that

Im confused.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

I've played a M/M/N(ormal style) as Spain, and it went horribly. I delayed the war. That was the wrong thing I could do.

I started again. I quicly movilized my troops. In nine years, I destroyed the Cartaghinian town of Corduba, and Numantia went down also. I lost some Generals, I seem to have bad luck.

Now, Im heading for Narbo Martius. What should be my next objetive?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

first of all, Palma and Sardinia, they're great trade centres and you can stage invasions from there in peace.
    from here on, you should consider how you plan to expand: going north into Gaul, south into North Africa ? or you can also organize raiding parties and sack the roman cities to finance your growth at home. Let the romans or whoever take the cities back and come back in a few years.

I dont want to deal with Romans. So, I will head Gauls and kill them all.

Then, I will see.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

If you can wait for them to tech up a bit, you can reap what THEY sow (culture penalty free, no fat nor sugar)

the problem with going for the gauls is that Pyreneans are such a good barrier that I'm reluctant about going across.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Fun alternative.

Defend at the Pyrenees. Forts in both Northern passes and a good defensive field army near Osca. This will become the focus of a lot of Julii and Gallic attention. You can bleed them pretty well there and train up several strong fighting units for subsequent attacks.

Equip an invasion force and a follow on force and go take Ireland. Follow on force is 4-6 Town militia and 8-12 peasants. Take Ireland, garrison with town militia, disband peasants to build population. Should have a port going and trade with your Northern ports.

Then, once you've paused and sorted things out, take Britain from the North down. The Brits are rarely prepared for this and usually have most of their fighters across the channel. Consolidate.

Now you should have 2 well trained strike armies: 1 in Britain and 1 in Spain. Send the Spanish army forward along the isles to attack Italy OR along North Africa after Carthage. Use the Northern force to hit Gaul, Germany or the remnants of the Brits as you see fit. None of the Northern Barb forces is particularly well set to handle an attack from the North like that.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

funny, I used this strategy with the Britons
    there's nothing like Brit Chariots sieging Corduba, with that feeling of "where did they come from ?"

I will capture Samarobriva, and Brits wont be smart enough to recapture it.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

i am playing a h/h spain campaign i have a question shall i invade gaul or africa

I would say either. Just not both. Gaul would secure you back ie if you plumped for Africa Gaul could cross the pairofknees but Afica opens up more sea trade but Scipii and Egypt. Gaul, you also run ino romans but there is more towns so possibly more money/ easier conquest. Heads or tails mate

I would suggest you start by unifying Iberia and eliminating the Gauls, than it would be a good time to invade Africa.

its going pretty good i invade africa and capture Carthage

Jee wizz, you going to take sicily then move up through Italy? early game with Spain I would say was mad. :p

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast