Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play an MP campaign?

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

Default Re: Want to play an MP campaign?

I haven't played the STW mod for MTW. Where is the download so I can check it out to see if it will work.

BTW: Puzz, do you have a copy of the rules I sent to you back then by email? I am still trying to find my copy which I burned onto cd. I may have packed it up already since my wife and I are selling our house and having another one built. doh! hehe

Either way, if I can't find the old rules, I will rewrite them, since I remember most of them still.

I will post the rules here as soon as I find or finish rewriting them.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Hm...
    Baroca's mod means having VI as prerequisites. Isn't it?
    Paperi si nasce

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Yes it does require VI.

The thread can be found here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...3&page=1&pp=30 and direct link to download is: http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-...ETA5_20nov.zip

CBR

Elmark,

CBR and I have a new unit stat for STWmod stat that makes some small adjustments, and the corpses are now working. The adjustments are no-dachi runspeed set to 12, nag cav defense increase by +1 and teppo given the same firing stats as muskets had in original STW as close as can be determined, but with less melee capability.

I'll look for the rules, but my email going back that far seems to have been lost when I switched to a new computer.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 10-18-2004 at 14:43.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I always wanted Barocca's Mod to get a good chance online, now for some reason I get error messages when trying to launch VI
    I can only put this down to either graphics card drivers or direct X as this is the only alteration I have made since installing Rome Total Waste. I must say this has left me feeling like uninstalling the entire series

......Orda

From AggonyBetou:
    "Im interested in the campaign, cant post on org though anyone will sign me up? "

http://p066.ezboard.com/f7bear7frm1....icID=300.topic
    Paperi si nasce

Thnx Paolino, I have posted in that thread explaining things.

I have almost completed the campaign map graphic and will begin putting the site together this weekend. Still a lot of work to be done, but progress is being made.

i am really interested in this. i don't quite understand how it will work. would you guys mind posting updates here, once the campaign gets underway?
    indeed

Last time Elmark set up a website with the game's map of Japan. He could change the color of the provinces depending on which clan controlled them. Each clan had private pages where they could view the buildings and armies they had in each of their provinces. If you had a watchtower, Elmark provided you info about the adjoning provinces. I don't think we had ninja, shinobi or geshia strategic units.

Each player would email their move to Elmark. He would inform players of any battles that had to be fought and what units were available, and the players would go online and fight them. You could use another player as a general for fighing your battles if you wanted. The battle results would be sent to Elmark and he would update the info at the website. There was a mathematical cost calculation for bringing partial units back up to full strength. Inbetween turns, the players were negotiating alliances, non-aggression pacts, military access rights, subtrefuge, co-ordinated attacks, etc via email or in the online foyer. This negotiation aspect was very important to whether you were going to survive over the long term, and it was something you had to get started on at the beginning because you wouldn't have much negotiating leverage if your position in the game became weak later on. I think we were getting a move in about every 4 days.

It was really all Elmark making this work. It takes a lot of his time to run something like this.

The reason it is taking so long, besides the fact I am working quite a bit more than usual right now, is that I am putting more effort into the front-end of the website interface to make it easier (time-wise) for me to update after each turn. I have chosen to use the faction symbols on the main campaign map to represent who owns what province. This will be a time-saver since I do not have to color in each province when it changes hands.

I also am taking the unit icons and making them into small graphic files so I can pictorially show the units you have in each province. The unit icons will have numbers instead of colored shields and Swords to represent the wep and armor upgrades. I am making an icon of each possible type of unit: Ex. An Ashigaru unit can be:

Honor: 0, Wep: 0, Arm: 0
    Honor: 1, Wep: 0, Arm: 0
    Honor: 2, Wep: 0, Arm: 0
    Honor: 3, Wep: 0, Arm: 0
    Honor: 1, Wep: 1, Arm: 0
    Honor: 1, Wep: 1, Arm: 1
    etc . . . So you can multiply all of these by the total number of different units and see why it is taking awhile, but it will simplify things for me in the long run and make the game more pleasureable (visually) for you guys.

I am also trying to grab some screenshots of the menu's which pop-up for battles, and other things which will occur in game. All to keep the atmosphere which will make you believe you are actually playing the SP game.

I am also, this time, trying to work out a usable way to have ninja units, Geisha and the other non-combat units. This will probably depend on a dice roll made by myself to determine success or failure. The higher level the Ninja, the better percentage chance he will have to kill, unless the unit he is trying to kill is of a higher honor level than himself.

Very complicated, but I think with the time I will save updating the site, I can institute these units if everyone agrees.

Please try to find a group of players (4 would be good) who will play as one faction. This way if one player has to leave for a bit, the others can continue on with the campaign.

As for the way that escaped units work: I determined a cost factor per man in a unit: Ex: (Not actual figures but represent the thought behind the computations)

Ashigaru: 120 koku for a 60-man unit = 2 koku per man
    If a unit of Ashigaru escapes a battle with 30 men left, I will first try to combine him with other like units who escaped to make a whole unit. If this is not possible, the left-over ashi units will be converted to koku: 30 x 2 = 60 koku. This koku will be added to the reserves of the faction and usable at the beginning of the next turn. (I will get into more detail as I get closer to completion.)

Hope this helps explain things a bit. You will have to see it to fully understand it.

There is a problem with the STWmod for MTW, so I don't know if it will be useable for playing out battles. CBR noticed that guns were beating units in melee that they shouldn't beat. We have investigated this in online tests, and cannot determine why guns are getting a large melee combat bonus. We've already eliminated a lot of the possible causes, and are at a loss for an explanation as of the moment.

The one thing with the MTW mod is that there are no province maps comparable to the provinces found in STW, or have the provinces all been mapped now to be similar to the province maps in STW?

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

I havent played SP campaign and dont know if there are any differences but the campaign map sure looks like old STW.

I think we finally found out why some units were acting weird. All units were made to be fearful of gun units. That actually means a 6 combat point difference and I guess Barocca thought it was morale only.

Tests I just made shows gun units to die quickly as they should.

Was just about to quit the mod because of that frustrating problem but thanks to Krypta for noticing and asking about it.

CBR

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    I think we finally found out why some units were acting weird. All units were made to be fearful of gun units. That actually means a 6 combat point difference and I guess Barocca thought it was morale only.
    Great find CBR! Fear of gives a +2 att and +4 def against any unit that is afraid of you. The STWmod may work out well after all.

Elmark,

I think all the WE/MI province maps were converted. It may just be a matter of renaming them so we have a mappack for use with the multiplayer campaign. I'll look into that.

Thanks Yuuki :)

These STW campaign maps have already been converted to MTW by others:
    Aki, Harima, Totomi, Bingo, Dewa, Higo, Kosuke, Yamato and Satsuma. I've converted Chikugo. We also have the multiplayer map of Nagashima and Krypta just converted 4th Kawanakajima.

I think we now have an STWmod stat which closely simulates original STW. CBR, Krypta and I have done online testing checking STWmod against original STW, and it looks good. Since MTW supports host selectable eras the stat could have an original STW era and an STW era as it appears in MI. The STW/MI era could support a slightly more dynamic gameplay.

Just Finished Awaji so can add that one too, moving along at about 1 map conversion a night. If anybody else is interested in helping out(only me and yuuki working on the maps atm and there is quite a few left), please PM me.
    ..::Noobs don't own themselves!::..

What I will do then is let the player's decide, for each battle, if they want to fight their human opponent, or let the AI fight the AI. If one player wants it to be AI vs AI, then it will be AI vs AI in STW, but if BOTH players want to fight each other, then it will be MTW Shogun Mod on one of your maps you are now creating. :) Thanks for the help guys. This way there are more options for the players, which is something CA/Activision should be doing.

PS: I actually had a slow night at work and was able to get a lot of the map I am making finished. Hopefully I will have the map up for all to see in the next couple of days. You would not believe how much trouble it was to try and make a map out of actual campaign screenshots.
    Last edited by ElmarkOFear; 11-09-2004 at 05:49.

I have a question regarding retextured maps because I retextured Totomi originally and my concerns are.......

STW maps are much smaller

MTW deployment zones when applied to STW maps are much reduced. Ok maybe for a 2v2 but I doubt if some armies would be able to deploy properly before the start in a 4v4. Already found this on Totomi.

Part of the map becomes a no go area, this was also apparent on Totomi, with critical areas of the map lost to the redzone

......Orda

I do not think that there will be many 4v4 matches at least not until the middle-to-late stages of the game. We could get around that by breaking down the 4v4 into 2 2v2 games and then have the winning teams play a third game. If it is an AI vs AI game though, the old Totomi will work fine and we won't need to use any of the problem 4v4 maps.

Orda is right that the usable area is less on retextured STW maps. STW and MTW maps are the same 20x20 tiles, but the red zone at the map edge was 2 tiles wide in STW and is 3 tiles wide in MTW. The usable area in STW was 16x16=256, and in MTW it's 14x14=196 which is a 78% smaller area. This would probably be too small for a 4v4. Also, the play at the edge of the map will be different since you can't get as close to the edge.

MTW does have medium 26x26 and large 31x31 tile maps which are more suitable to 4v4 battles.

So far these STW campaign maps are done: Aki, Awaji, Bingo, Bizen, Bungo, Buzen, Chikugo, Harima, Kozuke, Yamashiro, Yamato.

I've posted the Samurai Wars_05b stat for STWmod, and there is a readme included.

For some reason my connection times out, from this PC, when I try to connect. I will try it from work.

The first STWmappack for STWmod is posted. There are 25 maps in it: Aki, Bungo, Buzen, Dewa, Etchu, Harima, Higo, Hitachi, Inaba, Kazusa, Kozuke, Mutsu, Nagato, Osumi, Sanuki, Suruga, Tajima, Tosa, Totomi, Yamashiro and Yamato, and these non-campaign maps: 4th Kawa, Dryriverbed, Nagashima and Horselands.

I've changed the link to STWmod to a better download location.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Red face Re: Want to play an MP campaign?

Hey, at what times would you go play?

Any place free (or make another campaign)?

I'm not that strong (yet), i hope that is okey with you?

Bye!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

useless post. . .
    Last edited by Drisos; 01-20-2005 at 14:35.

The campaign will consist of a team of players Drisos, so more than just 8 players can play. I have yet to formally see how many players are interested, but I have a list of players who will be asked first if they still want to play.

Have fun, and don't worry about how good your battle skills are, you will improve quickly with practice. :)

Cool Re: Want to play an MP campaign?

Thanx, i hope i can join!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast