Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post your "must-know" modding questions here!

Question Re: Post your "must-know" modding questions here!

Can new units be added to increase the number of unit choices available, or are there limits as there were with the MTW ones?

The game supports a maximum of 300 units.

My question is how do i cange the number of units?????
    I got to know!

Default Re: Post your "must-know" modding questions here!

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW MOD

CHEER

Is jerome coming back to answer any questions here?

I have a question that relates to mod testing thats driving me batty -

on the command line, when you reference a character, you can do it like
    give_trait "Anarch Brutus" etc etc
    or
    give_trait Heras etc etc

The names that have things like 'Jon the vanquisher' or "Pete the Wrathful' can still be addresses by putting quotes around their proper names, os using underlines, like Jon Brutus or Pete_Julius.

However -- whenever a character has an 'of' in there name, like Michael of Sparta, I cannot get the game to recognize the character. The list_characters command shows him as Michael of Sparta. Nothing special.

I have tried endless combinations with about 20 different 'of' characters. Have tried using their proper names, tried underlining, tried the 'of' first, tried it without the 'of', etc. But I cannot get the game to recognize them. Always 'cannot find unit or faction'.

So what is the proper syntax when manipulating a character who is 'of' a certain place?

thanks!

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Question: What are building plugins, and can they be used (and how?) or is this some abandoned idea?
    I'm still not here

What are the food costs on the unit and can they be used in any interesting ways?

Some additional mod requests (in order of importance)

1 Seperate a units population cost from it's physical size. Please please make these seperate stats.

2 Allow us to specify a unit as replaceable but not recruitable at a building.

3 implement parenthesis for conditionals

2 Allow us to specify a unit as replaceable but not recruitable at a building.
    One way to do this (at least from a human player's perspective) is to give the unit a build time of 999 turns (or some rediculously huge number). Retraining still happens in 1 turn, but you won't have time to even recruit 1 of the units during a game. The only thing I'm not sure about with this method is how the AI would manage with it.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

The thing I'd like to know is whether there is any means of turning off bribing. I couldn't see any traits to allow this and couldn't find any other bribe type parameter that did anything when switched off e.g. the 'bribe' action in the character files or the Talk/Bribe options in the cursor files.

I don't think Jerome is coming back. So why waste your time.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Post your "must-know" modding questions here!

I hope that my little rant hasn't chased him away

Anyway this topic will remain stickied since it contains some valuable information. But you will have much greater chance of getting an answer if you make a new topic with a title that covers your question.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

I think it would be best if people didn't ask any more questions for now. We wouldn't like for Jerome to return look over this thread and say: "Nahh it would take too much time."
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Does the game output any of the battle results to a file or a temp file anywhere? I can't find one, but if anyone knows where it sticks the data I'd like to write a parser for it to save battle results and unit information/ratios.

I apologize if I've missed this one but would you mind telling me how to mod the distance ships can travel in a single turn? It seems ridiculous to have a ship take 2 years to get from Sicily to Egypt. Traveling at a leisurely 5 knots per hour the trip would last only about 10-15 days. I may be off in my distance but you get the point.

Question Sound Editing

Hoping that these still get read and answered: How do you go about editing and assigning sounds to units, especially new ones?

I've looked high and low for help on this and no one seems to know the answer.

Is there any way to change the number of men in a unit and/ or give each of those men a different color so you can tell them apart?

Also to repost a question I saw in an earlier post. Is there any way to adjust the possible level of zoom?

I want to use RTW to do some Machinima but theres no way to differentiate on soldier from another so I cant use voices or really do an effective story. I already used it to make two short vids but right now I'm limited to just staging battles (though I did make a cool arcani vs gladiators battle with mortal combat in the background)

Default ROADS on Campmap

I'm currently working on the new campaign map for NTW 2.

Now one thing handy to know in advance is how roads appear on the campmap.

There is no file - at least as far as I can see - that determines the roads on the campmap. So I suppose that they are generated automatically in relation to some map files.
    Probably the groundtypes and height tgas are involved.

Is there anyone who has experiences with that or did deal with this issue.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hal

Aggravated Ursine Member The Panda Centurion's Avatar

Can gmax be used in place of 3dsmax for modeling purposes?
    The Panda Centurion
    (click on image for large version)

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

At hal, do any of your roads appear. As far as I can see, the only way you can affect roads is by 'guiding' them with bits of wood, mountain etc.

At Panda, you can use it, but I think that the CAS extractor only works for 3dstudio

Exclamation Re: Post your "must-know" modding questions here!

Hi
    Though i'm new to moddeling for Rome TW.
    I have an extensive questions!

HOW can i moddel the 3d Buildings of the BATTLEMAP! (you know the map where the 3d fighting is going on .......NOT the Campaignmap)

i can't finde files for 3dsmax ....as like you do when you edit Units.
    i extracted the pak files but there where only textures for the buildings.

So could anyone give me a good tutorial for editing those buildings or tell me where to find the needed files?
    i want try editing Fortifications for Napoleonic TW.

I live in Modesto, California. That's where the big daug of the Gallo company lives. Also the biggest beer/wine company in the world is.

can anyone PLZ help me. i need verdix's download in order to modify the models of rtw. everytime i try, it asks me if i want to save it or open it. i click open. but when it opens(after download) the file can't be viewed because the program mplayer2 tries to open it instead. and it obviosly wown't since it's not a wmv. so what i'm trying to say is how can i change the program it uses to open it. i remember getting into the files once and since it was a tga (btw i don't know what .tga is) so i open it with mplayer2 and by aciddent i left the box that says "open everyother document the same way" checked. so whenever i try to open a zip file, it opens with mplayer2. plz someone help, anybody.

is it possible to mod wedge formation for infantry ?.

i just seen a documentary about queen Boudica.

in it they showed how the roman infantry used the wedge formation
    it resembled one big wood saw it looked like they used the RTW engine.

i tried adding wedge to the unit txt did'nt work

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infernalbob
    can anyone PLZ help me.
    well, can you save it instead of opening it right away?

if so, you should be able to right-click on the file (save it instead of opening) and go to properties. right there in the 'general' tab there should be a field titled "open with:" and then the name of the program that's opening it (mplayer2 in your case) and then there should be a button titled "change...". if you click that change button you should be able to tell windows what program to use to open the file. under the 'recommended programs' choice you should see something called "Compressed (zipped) folders"; this is the default windows zip handler. choosing it should allow you to open the file.

alternatively, you can download a third-party program that will steal the file-association from mplayer2, like winzip, winace, etc.

yet another option would be to use a different browser (i use firefox myself, but i hear opera is good now too).

one thing i'm not sure about is whether IE (i assume that's the browser you're using) uses a different set of file associations than the windows shell, it's not transparent, iirc. if you haven't installed sp2 yet (i'm assuming you're using XP), you may try that, b/c i think the security changes (security center specifically) will reset alot of your IE defaults. lemme know.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

This topic was created to make a list of questions that were to be answered by Jerome. He answered them some time ago and since he hasn't been around for along time this thread has ceased to be functional.

Thread closed.
    I will keep it stickied since it contains valuable information.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345