Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: * The Next Official Total War Game *

Lightbulb * The Next Official Total War Game *

I was just wondering what you would like to see as the next Official Total War game in the series?

Has there been any announcement as to what era the next game will cover?

My personal preference would be for:

1) Napoleonic Wars

2) Greek/Persian Wars

3) American Civil War

Cheers!
    Last edited by Pericles; 12-12-2004 at 01:21.

Default Re: * The Next Official Total War Game *

For the Greek/Persian stuff, have you seen Alexander (the PC game based on the movie)? I saw it in the store today, and thought it looked pretty good. Wondering if anyone has played it.

~BRAD~

A civil war total war game wouldnt be anything like the other total war games. Play Sid Meiers gettysburg or antietam for a good civil war game. they're old now, but still fun.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen_Warrior
    A civil war total war game wouldnt be anything like the other total war games. Play Sid Meiers gettysburg or antietam for a good civil war game. they're old now, but still fun.
    That's right. The civil war makes for some nice war games. But firearms and Total War don't mix well...
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis IV the Fat
    That's right. The civil war makes for some nice war games. But firearms and Total War don't mix well...

Not to mention which, replay value would be severely limited by only having 2 different factions to play.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

As closely related to Sid Meier's Gettysburg! game is to Total War, it would not be a good subject matter for TW, and the current engine. There would have to be great modifications to make the real time battles interesting.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Lightbulb Re: * The Next Official Total War Game *

Hmmm well the next challange for CA would be to get gunpowder units right.

There was a lot happening in the 16th and 17th century, CA could easily make a game in the timeperiod between the fall of Constantinopel and the French revolution. Very interesting and bloody time.

The American civil war could also be made into a TW game (as it is fascinating), but it would probably be less interesting for Euros then for Americans.

Well other then the Napoleontic war, perhaps a change of pace would be to make a game of WWI. Instead of years we'd go through time by in weeks.
    Although WWI wouldn't be fitting for the TW line...

Quote Originally Posted by BGerman
    For the Greek/Persian stuff, have you seen Alexander (the PC game based on the movie)? I saw it in the store today, and thought it looked pretty good. Wondering if anyone has played it.

~BRAD~
    I've seen the game, but haven't heard anything about it. Best to wait to see what reviewers/gamers think about it.

I'm always leery of games that pop up when a movie comes out.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen_Warrior
    True.

Perhaps some European nation intervention, such as France or Britain. . .

But, yes it would be limited (but great fun).

I'm surprised that no one has created a Civil War mod for MTW.

One time me and my friend had a gunpowder only battle. We played it just like gettysburg. My friend bought all arbeqeusers, but i had some hand gunners, so i just watied till he was worn down a little then charged. He cheated though and bought 2 mounted seargents without telling me, so he won. Only because he cheated though. It was actutally pretty fun. People died a lot slower than in gettysburg though(until his horsies came in from the side and slaughtered my general then the rest of my army.

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

LOL Saracen.

Hey buddy are those mounted sarges in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.

Sorry it just struck me funny that's all.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Moved to Arena.
    Abandon all hope.

Once you get to the mid 19th century mounted cavalry charges are obsolete and melee is something you might do after surviving a storm of shot and shell. Neither of these situations lend themselves to a Total War type of game.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

how about an original fantasy theme for a change?

I know to some it may sound bad, but i think it would be good, i doubt anyone would be pissed about historical accuracy any more

But anyways its highly likely we'll have an expansion for RTW first, and hopefully the next total war will be a dark-ages to medieval ages spanning asia, europe and africa. It would be awesome, but probably too ambitious..
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Arena is no-TW. Moved to entrance hall.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Redo Shogun. Remain true to the original concept yet introduce the new gfx engine and make a diplomacy model that really truly works ala Civ. I'd worship at that alter any day.

Oi! Such an orphan this thread is!

A Shogun redo would be fine by me.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

The Movie "Alexander" was crap beyond reason. Sorry bout all yall fans out there, but I'd rather watch the History Channel Special on Alexander, or the Discovery Channel ones, rather than succumbing to the all mighty turd of a mumbled, disorganized, scenes without plot that Hollywood called a movie.

I'm guessing the game would prolly be the same thing, heh. I'm sticking with RTW even with all them bugs for now... sadly
    Why cant we just get along???

Maybe a "Greek: Total War" might be able to use the current RTW engine.

With tweaks to the engine there could be the "Age of Revolution: Total War" spanning time period of 1700-1900.

Then there is always "Age of Empires: Total War" - giving us a world map with discovery of the new world, being able to play Asian countries as well as European. . .

A "Lord of the Rings: Total War" - look how well the movies and books did

Personally, I think the possibilitie are endless.

Civilization: Total War :drools:
    Why cant we just get along???

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

The U.S. civil war would never be a totalwar game in itself ........... well I'd at least be willing to bet on it.They'd go with a Napoleonic era with the civil war being an expansion pack.

Of course for me I want a ChinaTotalWar. And why not, they believe 1 fifth of the world is an indirect descendant of Ghengis Khan. This way 1 fith of the world could relive the days of there great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfathers glory days.

Noone ever talks about Africa. Never hear about the wars there except at the height of world colonization. Anything interesting ever happen there. I'm talking about south of the Sahara here. Or was it all tribal warfare on a small scale.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Or maybe a stoneage total war. You could either be grizzly underwears, the nakeds, or the loin cloths. Huge battles between 10 person tribes. You could train guys with sticks, guys with bones, guys with rocks, or guys that jsut punch, biters, kicking people, or even wooly mamoth riders, which might be a little unbalanced compared to the other untis but hey its game. the trading system would work. "hey grog give I bone or i smash your face in"

I think a Totalwar series based on China would be awesome. Has anyone here ever read Romance of the Three Kingdoms or played the games based on this wonderful Chinese epic, like Dynasty Warriors and the other KOEI ROTK series? For those who are not familiar, China experienced a civil war on a massive scale after the fall of the Han dynasty in the second to third century AD. The whole empire split into various factions under feudal warlords. Gradually, three men established supremacy in three parts of the country (hence Three Kingdoms); they were Cao Cao in the north, Sun Quan in the south, and Liu Bei in the west. Not only is the story compelling and epic, but the Totalwar people could make the battles REALLY interesting. For instance, the strategy of the various generals in the Three Kingdoms is detailed throughout the epic and is quite brilliant. There are ambushes, fire attacks, city assaults, the cutting off of supplies, the use of naval and marine forces, the use of floods to drown enemies, and myriads of ruses. One particular stratagem is famous and I shall account for it here to give you a sense of what I mean: Zhuge Liang, the adviser to Liu Bei, was given the task of delivering 100,000 arrows in three days time to the armies of Sun Quan. If he failed, he would suffer the death penalty. Obviously, he was not going to be able to make 100,000 arrows in three days. Instead, on the third day, when the weather was extremely foggy, he borrowed twenty ships and attached many bundles of straw to them, to give the impression of a huge landing force. He used these twenty ships and took them close to the enemy's naval base. Since it was foggy, and the ships gave the impression of a large force waiting in ambush, the enemy commander ordered his soldiers to oppose Zhuge Liang's force by shooting arrows. The discharge of arrows was immense, and the twenty ships, with their bundles of straw, managed each to catch over 5000 to 6000 arrows. Thus, by a small effort, he had managed to steal 100,000 arrows from the enemy which could then be shot back at the enemy. Besides exciting battles and subtle strategy, the diplomacy could be quite intricate as it was during the Three Kingdoms period. The warlords had to carefully balance alliances in order to succeed. I would say more, but I want to know what others think. I have thought long about such a Totalwar game based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and each time I imagine it I feel like buying it (haha). Another great possibility, with China as the map, would be Totalwar in the time of the Warring States. This period is earlier than the Three Kingdoms era, and was again a civil war following the collapse of the Zhou dynasty.
    "When you meet a Master in the street, do not speak, do not be silent. Then how will you greet him?" -Zen koan

Will there even be another Total War game? I thought they were just going for a trilogy. However, I'd love to see the previous two Total War games remade with the Rome: TW engine. Perhaps it will be done and then released as a bundle, meaning: Shogun, Medieval and Rome together in one package remade into the new engine with all the bugs fixed.

I agree, China Total war would be great(after expansion)

Zen, It's a good idea to break up your posts into paragraphs. Easier to read.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Quote Originally Posted by BGerman

~BRAD~
    I have played the demo of Alexander. It's a good RTS, but it has some explaining needed. It's developed for UBIsorft by CDV a ukrainian devloper (they are also doing stalker shadow of Chernobyl) who's philosophy of RTS games was when they started back in 2001. Take AOK graphics and multiply the number of units on screen by about 40. The result was cossack european wars and it's 2 x-packs art of war and back to war (back to war being a stand alone release) which was set from 1500 to 1765 in terms of units and combat. It had every nation of europe and north africa that existed between those dates, by the time back to war came out the number of nations was about 20. The next game they did was American conquest which was set between 1492 and 1812 and reflected the colonization of north america by europeans and the american revolution and wars against the natives it had, by the time it's x-pack fight back came along, 9 native peoples and all the european nations that ever colonized america. Plus Russia and the USA. Alexander uses the cossacks engine which is also being used for Cossacks 2 napoleonic wars. Basically it works like this CDV RTS games all have huge opulation caps Cossacks 1 had a max of 8000 units in total American conquest 16,000 Cossacks 2 (if it ever comes out) 32,000. You build individual units and then when you have enough form them in to units. The formation sizes are 36 64 and 100 for infantry, and 20 30 and 42 for cavalry. The way the actual combat works is a lot like RTW minus a full 3D camera, but there are 2 view levels like in RON 1 for micromanaging and 1 grand strategy. In this demo you can play as the Macedonians and the Persians the full game has them plus Indians and Egyptians. The all for sides have 3 basic units in common, slingers, clubmen, and hasturoi IIRC(a guy with a short sword and shield as tall as he is). The unique units start a level up with Macodonia having peltasts, hypaspists, and sarisofors (phalanx pikemen) for their infantry. And Thessalian riders (militia cav), dimah (greek cav but with a sword), and cataphratus (companions) for mounted forces. The persians have Immortals (think huscarles from MTW VI but no where near as powerful), kardakes (spearman), and archers. For cav the persians have camel archers, dartmen (think numidian cav), and horse archers (think persian cav). Also you can train mercenaries. They cost only gold (and lots of it), instead of a combination of gold, food, metal, and maybe stone. They are sythian light and heavy cav and sythian axmen, plus the greeks can get merc archers to stick on walls. You also have hero units like Alexander himself, Ptolomy, Darius, Dariuses son (who's name escapses me), basically every side gets 3 heroes. The heroes all have an area of influence that gives any formation in it an offensive, defense, morale, or hp buff. The defensive walls you can build can be stocked with units to defed them. Archers are best as peltasts range is very short. There are also siege units balistas and catapults. There is full naval combat with Macodon having the larger selection of ships. With a full macedonian army of some 2000 units plus the 3 heroes I got some frame rate dips. But only when facing a persian force of about equal size. Yes the AI will build bigger and bigger armies if you give them half a chance. To sum up Alexander is an RTS game but it's more along the lines of Rise of nations of even TW in terms of scope., as opposed to warcraft or age of empires. Good 2D/3D graphic engine wihich has been polished up a lot from American conquest. Ai is good for enemies, your peasants however have a very short idle time before they go and start gathering from the nearest harvest site. When your trying to get 46 peasants together to build an gold and metal mine and they wander off to start limber jacking it's fucking annoying. If you enjoyed RTW at all you might like Alexander go try the demo on fileplanet it's about 278 megs.

PS my PC specs are;
    1.18 Ghz P4
    512 MB system ram
    GeForce4 Ti 4200 128 MB of vram
    windows XP
    Last edited by lars573; 12-15-2004 at 23:56.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Default Re : * The Next Official Total War Game *

Star Wars : Total war.

Ahem, sorry.

Anyways, can't be later than napoleonic wars(unless it no more is a Total War). Colonization Total war would rock. Have the swedes, Dutch, Portugueses, French, English & Spanish disembark & explore against local realms!
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Date Harumune Member Herakleitos's Avatar

How about China, Korea, Mongol and Japan total war?! Massive Game I would think...
    'ho polemos pater pantoon'

Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    how about an original fantasy theme for a change?

I know to some it may sound bad, but i think it would be good, i doubt anyone would be pissed about historical accuracy any more
    Sacrileguous as it is, I agree. Fantasy material is great to take break from the realism of RL, and you don't need a "big franchise" to have an interesting setting. (+If you go Tolkien, someone will still complain about lacking "realism"/authenticity)
    I hope Hoggy manages to finish his Blue Lotus mod for RTW... I'm not convinced that the moddability allows for the mod to be "total" enough, though....
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

i say that the revolutionary game will be napoleonic total war and the expansion to that will be civil war total war

the next one though is anyones guess - something based on china would be cool though
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast