Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Army Lists

Aggravated Ursine Member The Panda Centurion's Avatar

Default Re: Army Lists

I have to say that i find the idea of a "water" faction, in other words, a faction of fish-men, very unattractive. If there are fish-men, then they will most likely be a part of the demon army or mercenaries, which is much more believable than having an Atlantis spring up in Thailand and spurt out nonsensical armies. The idea harks back too much to games like the Legend of Zelda (certainly a great game, but not one that hoggy is trying to emulate, i think). The idea is too elemental and uninteresting for the setting hoggy is trying to create in Blue Lotus. Like Gubook, i would like to see more work on the human factions, particularly the Mongols and Koreans. I am not demanding that hoggy do this, however, i am only voicing my desires. Keep up the wonderful work hoggy.

- Panda
    Last edited by The Panda Centurion; 06-27-2005 at 20:51.
    The Panda Centurion
    (click on image for large version)

Perhaps for rebels, more tribesman. This may give the fact that they have left the towns/settlements/cities and took arms. Crude weapons, crude armour and a dirty look.

Or even a new tribe for a faction?
    I would be happy to help there

well, it is called 'blue lotus' blue being the elemental color of water and lotus being a water living plant, it symbolizes something aquatic, i guess thats the only comeback i can make, personally, a asian oceanic faction in thailand gives me thrills, or a heaven army . . . but alas my dreams, nothing more.

as for the person who last posted above me: are u suggesting a barbarian faction? more like a neadrethal faction, dirty people with forks lol, but i think i'm getting mixed up.

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

Read the army lists. There already are plans for 'fish-men' and 'shark-men' like things to be mercanaries and rebels, not to mention pirates.

i know, thats been stated in this small disscussion.

my point is that i'm fairly certain that this mod has a few more faciton slots, and it would almost be criminal to not use ur limits to the fullest extent (add factions), but it's still a great mod.

Chilly5

Well there has been plans to include a Tibetan faction and a Thai faction. Even a Hanuman (or Vanara, Sun Wukong, monkey god) faction, which I have suggested (can read about it on the first page of this Army List forum), has been discussed.

But if I remember it right Hoggy said that there is no time for new factions, maybe mini-factions like Monks, Choson, Kharazai Khanate, Rebels. If there will be another faction then my guess is that it will be the Tibetan one.

But if you want a clear answer then you have to get it from some one from the Blue Lotus team. Or try to PM Hoggy.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Kegeka is right. It's about available time really. It would be great to have lots of new factions, tibetans, thai, fishpeople, I would also have liked to have had factions from russia and turkey etc but as it stands there is already a huge amount of work to do. I think the mod will work well with the factions it has and perhaps if we're up for it after the main release we can add more. If that is the case we'll check the armylist thread so your suggestions will definitely be considered.

I Saw some posts on different factions, and the only solid listing of those seems to be the map, but even that has conflicted with other information. Where are the decided factions for the first release listed?

Is it:

Demons
    Mongols
    Japan A
    Japan B
    Korea
    China A
    China B
    Monks
    India?

Or are the demons to be divided, because I swore there was talk about the Roman Families and Senate being Demons due to difficulties if you take it out. Sorry for the confusion, just don't wanna hope for a faction that doesnt come out. :D

In due time, would this mod hopefully continue and Hoggy continue to express interest in it, perhaps it will attract more people to assist in working on the mod, and thus allow for new factions to make way. I assume the Neutral Animalistic faction will not be featured, as they weren't on the map. That's a pity, but maybe they can work as Mercenaries, or a future faction.

It may be an abhorred idea, but worth shooting out. With the Ocean taking up so much empty space, perhaps a future version of Blue Lotus may cut back on the Sea Some, introuding some of the Middle East? I just read upon Chinese relations with Bactria and Pathia, and while it might not be suitable to see those faction's merely reproduced, the mythology of ancient persia is still very eastern and less like Greeco-Roman or Celtic myths. Persia would offer something to take away the luxury of relaxation as India, and could place itself as that kind of looming threat on the horizon, as Egypt, Seleucia, or Parthia would become in Vanilla and RTR when you yourself were a western nation with your nose buried in conflict and politics there?

Definately not something to be added in right now, but would it be an interesting touch? India helps to offer an exotic appeal to the theme of Blue Lotus (Much as the East and Egypt did for Vanilla), and Persia could assist in that, as well open up a wealth of new mythology.

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

That list is correct but the rebels fill areas where there are no factions. The monks are the senate and as isolated as we can make them to avoid any problems.

so hoggy, wat ur saying is that after the mod is done, there can be a expansion mod, that adds new factions? i guess i can live with that . . .

MUSIC FOR THE DEAF, AFTER Member Sykotyk Rampage's Avatar

hi - this is just me pondering- throwing it out there.

Why go west for inspiration or new factions. Go east young man follow the ice packs, the whales migrate that a-way. Head due South 3 or 4 thousand miles and then another 2 or 3, lots of factions along the coast. Polynesians traded with South America, Vikings in Newfoundland, Resemblance of Egyptian gods in Mexico. Strange dragons and birds on the Galapagos. Hawaii surf the volcanos.

Would it not be cool Aztecs, Maya, Inca, Anasazi, Chavin, Olmec etc....(yes they did not all exist at the same time period but this is fantasy.) Huge wars and battles whole civilizations wiped out before the European even stepped foot and wiped out the wiper-outers.....LOL.

"The Aztecs had no professional army but they had professional military officers. When a boy was born his umbilical cord was cut off and dried and then buried on a battle field signifying that his life would be dedicated to warfare. Every able bodied boy was trained to fight.
    A vital part of everyday life for the Aztecs was warfare. All able body men were trained to be warriors. In readiness for adult life boys learned about fighting and weapons at school. To fight in battle was considered a duty and an honor. Warriors helped teach in the calmecacs. The warriors took the students to the wars and taught him how to take a prisoner captive. A boy became a man after he captured his first prisoner." thinkquest

If that's not a civilization bred for war I don't know what is.....(besides us right now)

The Western edge of North America filling in the large expanse of the Pacific on the BL map. Europe/Euro-asia is so overrated/overdone time to move on.

There you go run with it!

HARSH MUSIC FOR HARSH MINDS,
    ENVIRON-MENTAL SUITS NOT INCLUDED

1. too much water and the map would be waay too big
    2. this is starting to become too much of a faction discussion
    3. at tw center i have founded a mod called native america totalwar it will include aztecs, incans, iroquios, creek, toltec, inuit etc etc. if ur interested join and help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly5
    1. too much water and the map would be waay too big
    2. this is starting to become too much of a faction discussion
    3. at tw center i have founded a mod called native america totalwar it will include aztecs, incans, iroquios, creek, toltec, inuit etc etc. if ur interested join and help out.

Agreed on the first point, is there the consideration of removing much of that lifeless ocean and adding more to the north and west of the map? Enough of the Himalayals spread out and the Monk faction could reside there (an advantage in having few entraces due to the mountains, yet poor trade), and toss them back into the mix.

I guess not, since you've put so much work and dedication into the current one. :)

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

Well let's stick to what's already been agreed upon by may previous debates until that's done, then we can thinking about adding new stuff. On that note, yes the ocean is relatively empty, however unlike R:TW (Europe) the ocean is NOT a vital means of rapid deployment, in fact since the campaign map is soo small it would in most cases be a waste to build ships instead of ground units... maybe for a sneak attack but even then...

Personally i think once Hoggy & Co. have finished everything that they've planned it would be cool to make the ocean less barren, add some islands and maybe good trade items or huge mythological cities (i.e. city of the gods (w/ super special unique rebel units), the city of gold, Shang-ri La, etc.) also what would really be cool would be a large island in the ocean (similair to monks in size), however it is populated by fanatical templars with Medieval European styles. This would seriously complicate the starting game.

No europeans please... I am so tired of allways having knights and stuff in fantasy/mythological games. Let this mod be "purely" asian. Europeans would cheapen the mod (at least I think so). There are so many fantastic asian cultures that could inhabit those island than boring europeans (note: I am a european my self). I mean the majority of the mods that are made to RTW are placed in Europe.

Please...

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

you could always add an Indonisian faction but I think it's better to complete everything that was planned and perhaps when it's done they could make a new version or an "add-on".

ditto, but a indonesia never really had a empire, but they were mainly water people-y'know fishermen and canoe riders, so thats why i thought, this being a fantasy mod, that a water mermaidic faction would be apropreiate for a indo-thailand faction. but i can only hope that hoggy will consider my wishes for a add-on mod . .

How about another fictional race? If the demons are evilish and powerful, why not have some sort of good race that has been sent to hunt them down? Like Demon-Hunters or somet?

I would like to help out if you include this lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly5
    ditto, but a indonesia never really had a empire, but they were mainly water people-y'know fishermen and canoe riders, so thats why i thought, this being a fantasy mod, that a water mermaidic faction would be apropreiate for a indo-thailand faction. but i can only hope that hoggy will consider my wishes for a add-on mod . .
    I was under the impression that there were some pretty powerful sultanates down there.

from all i read in history books, all i got was fishers and hunter gatherers, but i'm shallow on everything else. and Captain-Tiguris-
    u seem to think up of everything i think up of, doesnt anyone actually READ my posts? i suggested a anti-demon faction too. only they werent demon hunters, i suggested holy-wait, after cheacking the forum, this is the first time u have had a idea that conflicted with my idea, so its actually pointed at a lot of people . . . but anyway, i still suggested a holy faction, next to the demon faction (holy- the heaven faction, demons escaped from hell, so the gods are gona put them back into place) so they can wage a large war. by holy, i dont mean christianity, i mean asian mythic gods and divine beings, like jade emporer and etc. i would love to help on any of my ideas, but my skinnings skills are not worthy and i am afraid that i will be in too many projects at once.

I think the monks represent the "HOLY" faction.

ah . . . . but they arnt the "heaven" faction now are they? or at least they arnt close enough to the demons to strike a large scale war.

The whole point of the mod is that the warring human factions (just human, no monsters or dragons or whatnot) must settle their differences (possibly) and unite against the demon forces to push them out of the world. Blue Lotus is not about two magical factions (black and white, good and evil) fighting each other. Why do you think that hoggy took the trouble to make the human factions, if they were just going to be in the background while the demons and "angels", so to speak, duke it out?

- Panda
    The Panda Centurion

oh, sorry didnt know that . . . . so its humans vs demons . . . . ok, well, then should there be more than one demon faction?

That's an idea I was thinking about as well, but i think that hoggy has his mind set about what the factions will be. I'm happy with the final setup though.
    The Panda Centurion

I'm happy too.

I think they've decided on one demon faction, but they're going to make it super powerful.

Hehe me too, I also suggested more than one demon faction some months ago. But I have to say that after i heard Hoggy's (and his brave mens') explanation about the reason of just one (endless, all powerful, cachophonic, eclectic, and nigthmarish) horde of demons I had/have to say that is the right choice.

It really fit the mod just to have one single demon faction. A mighty otherwordly steamroller of terror. Makes it more scarry and threatening that way. Just one big dark void of demons that crawls from the northwest over the hills, steppes and thundra. Spreading in clutches like canser over the land. Slowly conquering the warring humans factions who are too occupied killing each other to protect them self from the demon threat.

so then they should be like the hun in BI and completely HORDE all over north west of the map, and then reach the humans right? otherwise, they will simply serve as a overblaencing faction . . . . . likethr romans in vanilla.

I was looking through the list and something hit me.

Why don't the Mongols and Koreans have Generals? Goodness, The Koreans don't even have officers!

Will they be added?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast