Thread: "Nostos"

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default "Nostos"

I know there are some greek-understanding patrons here, and I wasn´t exactly sure where this belongs to, so well, the monastery is my choice:

What does "nostos" mean? I have read it writted in relation of the Trojan war, just in case it makes more sense in that context, or what could it mean in that context? From my understanding it is something like Fate, maybe?

Thanks.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: "Nostos"

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    I know there are some greek-understanding patrons here, and I wasn´t exactly sure where this belongs to, so well, the monastery is my choice:

What does "nostos" mean? I have read it writted in relation of the Trojan war, just in case it makes more sense in that context, or what could it mean in that context? From my understanding it is something like Fate, maybe?

Thanks.
    Nostos means 'homecoming'. In Homer's Iliad and Odyssee it is one of the central values. The other is kleios or 'fame'. Together they sum up the story of the Greeks before Troy as well as Odysseus' travels. They also symbolise our voyage through life.`Why else would we leave home but for fame? And what use would fame be if we couldn't bring it home and share it with our loved-ones? Odysseus did that in a way no real men ever managed to do.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 01-17-2005 at 22:47.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Nostos"

Thanks mate!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut