Thread: I just installed RTW but it keeps restarting my comp when i start game!

Default I just installed RTW but it keeps restarting my comp when i start game!

i have a nvidia geforce3 t200, before when i start the game it freezes at the begining then i updated my video card driver at nvidia.com after that it stop freezing but now when ever i start a mission it gets to the introduction how to play the my computer automaticaly restart!

is it my video card? i know my computer is fast enough to play this game. someone please

Default Re: I just installed RTW but it keeps restarting my comp when i start game!

Hi there :),

I had them same problem for about a couple of weeks untill I finally fixed it.

Here are the 2 problems that may probably be the reasons.

Virus infection while playing Multiplayer on line and Video card driver updates.

Go to Nividia official website to download the latest video card driver, this should solve your start up problem.

As for online multiplayer gaming, make sure that you get a reliable antivirus software. It took me some time to solve this problem.

happy gaming!

Default Re: I just installed RTW but it keeps restarting my comp when i start game!

my video card is up to date. i downloaded at nvidia.com it only reboot when i start the game.

You can try re-installing(uninstall first) the original driver(CD that comes with the graphic card) first before installing the updated driver. If the problem still persist, uninstall the game and do the suggested steps again before reinstalling the game. Remember to install media 9 and direct X9 when installing the game. One more thing is that I heard somewhere that you don't have to install direct X9 if you are using winXP package 2, it may screw up the direct X settings.

I also tried removing the graphic card and re-attaching it back to the com before doing the above. Sometimes it may be that the graphic card is not properly inserted.

If it still can't be help, then it may probably be a hardware failure, try installing other games that demand similar graphic requirements and do a few test before you come to this conclusion.

I am merely advicing from my own exprience, hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 714boy
    when ever i start a mission it gets to the introduction how to play the my computer automaticaly restart!
    RTW uses the Microsoft video codecs to play video clips. If your system is always restarting when a video clip is about to play, you might want to upgrade to MS Media Player 10 (if you haven't already), and make sure you've got all the latest codec and Media Player updates from Windows Update.

I dunno if that'll help, but it's worth a shot.

(Also, you might want to try the technical support forums at totalwar.com)
    "I didn't want to be here myself, but then my mother told me that I'd better make a reasonable show of it all, so here we go then..."

-Roman General before the final assault in my first campaign

i install wmp 10 and it still restarts. what is the latest codecs?

My recollection was that Windows Update had an update from the original version of Media Player 10. But, on checking the Windows Update history for my computer, I couldn't find any Media Player updates.

A codec is an "enCOder / DECoder." It's a piece of software or hardware which is responsible for converting between different data formats. The generic term "codec" usually refers to an audio or video encoder/decoder. For example, if you want to play MPEG2 video on your PC, you'll need to get an MPEG2 codec, because WMP doesn't come with one by default. (Technically, you only need an MPEG2 decoder, not a codec, but sometimes people get somewhat sloppy with the terminology.)

At this point, I'd suggest you go to www.totalwar.com, and post to the technical support forums there. That's the place where you are most likely to find someone who has seen the problem you're dealing with.
    "I didn't want to be here myself, but then my mother told me that I'd better make a reasonable show of it all, so here we go then..."

-Roman General before the final assault in my first campaign