Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting features on the Campaign map (custom tiles)

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Default Re: Putting features on the Campiagn map (custom tiles)

yes , I followed it step by step , but the old piramids are still there and the new ones not......

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Thanks for taking the time to go through this, guys. Maybe I've not done something or got a setting somewhere or there's an 'r' in the month or something... but wait... what's this?

snip

Forests? Watchtowers? It's a whole new look for 244, 53!

Yes, after your replies I gave it one last go and it finally worked. Wahoo. I'm sorry, I'm tired, I mean WAHOOOO!

I found out what I was doing wrong as well. You have to laugh otherwise you'd cry.

When I made the custom_tiles_db text file, I called it custom_tiles_db.txt (mad, I know). I noticed the Sons of Mars file was just called custom_tiles_db, so I figured what the hell and I removed the letters .txt from the filename and... it worked.

Just to make sure, I went back and put the .txt back in and it didn't work. I removed it and it was fine.

So, now we've actually got it working let's go back to why I started with it in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by eadingas
    BTW, have you (or anyone) tried playing a battle in a tile _next to_ custom one? Do all the features remain as you look outside the battlefield?
    Right, so for this one, as well as the doubty Captain Caspar I enrolled a Brutii general, setting them up in 243, 53 and 244, 54 (the custom map) respectively.

This is the view from 243, 53 to 244, 54. If it was displaying the custom map then it should look like the picture above.

snip

Nope, not even close.

Just to make sure, I then attacked the Brutii general in the custom map to see whether it was actually working.

snip

And there it is.

So, it's clear that custom tiles are _not_ viewable from adjacent tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    I have another question though, has anyone had any wierd effects at the borders of maps. I know that the map only goes so far, it doesn't save whats in the distance, it only saves the battlefield, the rest is generated from the campaign map, so what I mean it, does the edge of the battlefield fit smootly with the rest of the world, or is it sudden... I think it does it smoothly, but I've only tested with fairly flat maps in flat areas.
    For this, I took a northern cousin 243, 152 where it is pretty much as flat as you can get and placed it on 244, 54 (which as you may have noticed has a few hills). The result looked pretty smooth, though you can perhaps make out a hint of the join where the cursor is pointing.

snip

It looks like it stretches to just beyond the minimap's range.

(I also placed a small kop in each corner just inside the red line on the battle editor. These then fell outside the playable area in the game, but I assume the battle editor uses the larger playable areas used in sieges.)

For a clearer comparison I made a custom tile from 160, 43 - the southern beach of Rhodes. I placed a series of watchtowers to mark the beach (note that this had the effect of adding land on top of the sea to make the right angles on the coast).

snip

This was then moved to the now infamous 244, 54 with the following result.

snip
    snip

There are a few items of note here. One, it's still a sea! So this is in effect a very odd lake. Two, though it's quite obvious where the join between the tiles are, the adjacent tiles are smoothing down into the sea rather than making cliffs. Three, in the second shot the cavalry are walking on land that was risen from the sea by the creation of the watchtowers (though they were rather reluctant to do so, indeed the game didn't like this map much at all).

I hope you don't mind but I've devised a fitting tribute for your help over the last few days.

snip
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 04-24-2005 at 16:33.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    I hope you don't mind but I've devised a fitting tribute for your help over the last few days.

- -

Brilliant... You've got to laugh, or else you'd cry...

And thats good news about getting it to work. I guess we'll just have to make the custom features not too noticable from distance, so that you can't tell that their not there...

Default Re: Putting features on the Campaign map (custom tiles)

I think it's just going to be about striking a balance between the changes you make on the campaign map and the changes you make through the battle editor. If you want to put in something big and obvious, eg, a mountain range or a settlement then they have to be done through the campaign map, leaving smaller changes that wouldn't be noticeable from a distance to the battle map.

But perhaps it's possible to fake it, so for example if you want to put a really big tower in the campaign you could place it on the battle map as normal, but alter the heights in the campaign map so that even from adjacent tiles there appears to be "an object" in the distance (though maybe the camp map would automatically smooth it into a hill?).

But hang on, aren't we missing a trick here? AFAIK the vanilla campaign doesn't use custom tiles, so aren't the wonders that appear on the battle map sourced from the campaign map?
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Wonders are hardcoded to use off-map models. If you look closely, what you see on horizon for wonders are the same models that are used for campaign map (same goes for settlements and ports). I don't think we can duplicate that.

We can always cover the features with hills and forests, so they wouldn't be visible anyway :)
    I'm still not here

well I was saving as text too , may be i will try , tough I was actually tring to replace the pyramids with the actual real models , anyone knows how we can substituite them in the way that when playing near , close or above that square u play always with the real pyramid and not the blocky one?

Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Well you could make a custom tile and use it for all the squares around the wonder. For this purpose its convenient that they don't appear from neighboring tiles...

How can this be done?

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Hm, are you still having trouble getting it to work?
    When you say you saved it as a txt file, I thank that ER meant that he doesn't have the setting on to show the extensions, so he saved it as .txt.txt instead of .txt.

Maybe you might want to send me the files you've got?
    PM me if you send them...
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 04-15-2010 at 04:31.

I'm still not here

I know that someone had the same problem when making spartan historical battle. You have to use the cliff features... Which of course aren't big enough

Just in case this wasn't commonly known - the background models for strat models is referenced through descr_offmap_models.txt

This is where you can find the references to strat map models that appear on the battle map such as ships, settlements, wonders etc.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

If you wish to use custom tiles in the imperial_campaign then put the custom_tiles directory and custom_tiles_db file in the base directory. And remember to delete the map.rwm file when adding custom tiles.

And could a mod please move this to the Scriptorium? It's valuable information for anyone wishing to use custom tiles.

Last edited by Duke John; 02-14-2006 at 11:03.

I think it was discussed in scriptorium.. when it was fresh news, about a year ago ;)
    I'm still not here

As it is actually a tutorial, DJ's correct in that it should live in the Scriptorium. So moved...

In the base folder? I put them in the imperial_campaign folder in 1.2 and it works for me. Or are you saying you need to put them in the base folder for 1.5?

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

With 1.5 it didn't appear to work when placed in the imperial_campaign folder. It did when placed in the base folder.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Would it be possible to create custom sandbox battlemaps (like,say,Thermopylae) with the instructions here? I'm only curious...
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12