Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to limit recruitment & construction by area (hidden resources)

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Default Re: How to limit recruitment & construction by area (hidden resources)

I'd just like to say I found this article very useful. I've set up Africa and Asia as hidden resources so that elephant recruitment depends on the continent - e.g. you can't recruit Indian elephants in Numidia.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Thumbs up map.rwm

Quote Originally Posted by Nero

2 - Delete map.rwm
    Changes to map or regions file will only appear if you delete map.rwm before you relauch the game. You should delete the file in the same folder as the descr_regions file.
    Solution for my problems...
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

TW Modder Since 2005 Member DaVinci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard of Clairvaux
    Well I can confirm that there are something buggy about hidden_resources. As I get it you should first add the hidden_resource in region.text and at the top of descr.buildings.txt then delete the rmw.map, then launch the game. First when this is done you should start adding the resource to the actual unit or building.

I have had a lot of problems when doing everything at once and then deleting the rmw.map. Basically the game don´t load or you get weird results like not being able to recruit a unit.
    Bold: Well, a pretty old post, but i would like to give a hint to this above, and perhaps just an addition to the tutorial.

I work/mod with hidden recources (hr) intensive since ca. 1 year, so you might believe, what i have to say: (but it's all from my mind now without having files open, so there might be little typo faults in code-examples)

- With RTW patch 1.2, hr modding was indeed a bit buggy, and the order of deleting map.rwm etc. wasn't very stable or secure until the hr works. However, patch 1.2 times are gone.

- With RTW patch 1.5 or BI 1.6, you should mod in this order, to have a successful result: (the maximum is still 64 different hr's)

a) 'World' folder: Delete the relevant map.rwm of the active campaign folder. It must not be the map.rwm in the base folder (depends on your mod structure).

b) Campaign folder/descr_regions.txt: Open and add the new hr to the certain region as you wish, comma separated. Save and close.

c) export_descr_buildings.txt (edb): Add the new hr to the already listed ones by default, at the top of the file.

Note: It is indeed possible to add these first into the edb list, and then going to delete map.rwm and add the hr to the descr_regions file.
    After a-c the hr is set/active, and you can launch the game, if you wish, but it has naturally no affect as yet.

d) edb further: Now there is the task to set them active. If you intend to combine them with a former building requirement then it will be complicate in some cases due to the tech-tree structure and can lead to actual problems, so i give only examples without them.

d1) Option: building requirement (for example)

dungeons requires faction { ..., ..., } and hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

or

dungeons requires hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

d2) Option: boni requirement (for example)

law_bonus 2 requires faction { ..., ..., } and hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

or

law_bonus 2 requires hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

d3) Option: unit requirement (for example, well here a special unit, but it can be "replaced" with any kind of units)

spy 1 requires faction { ..., ..., } and hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

or

spy 1 requires hidden_resource x and not hidden_resource y and not hidden_resource z

---

Well, you can add several lines of those kinds as d2-d3 below a building to the capability sections of buildings in edb.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 10-24-2006 at 02:32.
    TWC Wiki: List of TW Modding Contributions 2005-2011
    Release 12.2012: Third Age TW Realism+
    Release 04.2013: Rise of the Samurai Realism+

Support: Greenpeace
    LIVING ...WITH... WAR
    What's really more disappointing than dis-information and non-education?
    A certain degree of intentional ignorance paired with obvious stupidy /DV

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

So can I add hidden_resource Sparta to all cities and make Spartan hoplites recruitable in all cities?

PS - Are there really Guineapig riders in the game,or is that just an example?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-23-2008 at 18:31.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Yes, you can add sparta to every region of the map if you want...

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

What about just removing hidden_resource Sparta all together? Or will that just make Spartan hoplites disappear from my roster campaign roster completely?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-24-2008 at 16:28.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

If you delete the resource , you will have to delete/outcomment the "and hidden-resource sparta" from the Spartan Hoplite recruitment lines in EDB, otherwise it will give you an error (and then you'll also need to delete the map.rwm in order for the change to take effect). But yes, removing sparta resource will make spartans unavailable anywhere. Best way is to simply outcomment the resource prerequisite in the EDB recr lines, that way you'll get Spartan Hoplites everywhere.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12