Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Registered, but Can't Post?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: Registered, but Can't Post?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eugen
    Thank you Ludens that's the first thing anybody said that mite explain the problem!!!! and yes with advanced arthritis in my hands I type 1 letter at a time ie. slowly but now I know.
    Ouch! I know that can hurt. How do manage to play TW like that?

When writing long post I always take care that I press the preview button every three paragraphs or so. This loads a new page so the forum knows you are still active (as it cannot see you typing). You have to do it every five minutes or so, I don't know exactly how long it takes for the computer to log you out but I think it is around 15 minutes.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Registered, but Can't Post?

Much thanks again Ludens for the info.
    I spent too much of missspent youth hand pounding medieval helms & armour for my friends in the SCA

Have fun storming the castle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    Welcome to the Org, elbasto.

I have posted your message in the thread you linked to. The problems you are experiencing are because you are a junior member. Junior members can post only in a few forums and cannot edit. The system is a bit restrictive, but it keeps out spammers, trolls, flamers and assorted nuisances of the internet. If you post a few times in a friendly and helpful manner you will be a full member soon enough.

You can find more information in the Guild FAQ.
    Ok, thanks for the posting the drivers fix.

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

hi i am new in the guild and i wanted to say hello to every body

Smile Re: Registered, but Can't Post?

Welcome Turk, did you get to the sticky thread for introducing yourself? It's called HAIL New Members (Introduction). It's a really good place to see who is around and new.
    "Worry not about the arrow with your name on it, for there is but one. Instead, concern yourself with the arrows addressed 'To Whom it May Concern,' for there are many."

Okay, so now that I know how the Guild works for newcomers, thought I'd post my first message. I originally wanted to post a question regarding missile units on one of the other forums, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer before I can do that.

Anyway, I’m still somewhat new to MTW. Although I had been playing around with the tutorials and battle campaigns on and off over a period of several months, I didn’t sit down and play an actual game until just last month (I guess I just didn't have time until now). Great stuff, though. I actually like it more than CIV.
    "I have a catapult. Give me all your gold & silver or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." - an ancient Roman thief.

Hi Alexios . I hope you find an answer to your question in one of the forums. There is always the Guides to read which really helped me to get started.
    "Worry not about the arrow with your name on it, for there is but one. Instead, concern yourself with the arrows addressed 'To Whom it May Concern,' for there are many."

Hi Bogeys.

Yes, the guides were the first thing I read when I first came here to the Guild. Great information in there, especially from frogbeastegg. Anyway, after reading all the guides, playing all the tutorials and battle examples (and playing a couple of actual campaigns), I still haven't figured out how to get my missile units to fire ONLY on my command. I always put them on <Hold> position and remove them from <Fire at Will>, but the buggers keep firing anyway. Nothing more frustating then watching your archers waste away their arrows on the passing peasant unit or two, while the enemy has heavy cavs prancing just out of range! The only way I know how to keep them from firing is to give them the order to change position (thus, getting them preoccupied in doing another activity). There's gotta be a simpler way of doing this. Would be nice to just have a toggle switch that you could turn them "on" or "off."
    "I have a catapult. Give me all your gold & silver or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." - an ancient Roman thief.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Registered, but Can't Post?

Hello Alexios, Welcome to the Org.

Hold position won't stop your archers from firing. Try pressing [A] (fire-at-will toggle) and then [BACKSPACE] (halt-command).

I'm glad you asked this question. After reading it I suddenly knew I didn't know how to keep them from firing away. Good question. Good answer too, thanks Luden.

Hey, Ludens - Works great!! Thanks for the tip!!
    Now, if I could only remember to tell them to start firing again

[QUOTE=Ludens]
    The problems you are experiencing are because you are a junior member. Junior members can post only in a few forums and cannot edit. The system is a bit restrictive, but it keeps out spammers, trolls, flamers and assorted nuisances of the internet. If you post a few times in a friendly and helpful manner you will be a full member soon enough.
    QUOTE]

Ive registered, activated but can't post anywhere except perhaps here! even after lurking for over a year!

ARGHH I need relevancy not controlled introductions. Can someone help me. I really don't think that I want to post in here for a few weeks before being let of the leash!

I have been playing RTW since Sept 2004, am an old adult not a JUNIOR and my main employment is IT administrator.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
    Ive registered, activated but can't post anywhere except perhaps here! even after lurking for over a year!

ARGHH I need relevancy not controlled introductions. Can someone help me. I really don't think that I want to post in here for a few weeks before being let of the leash!

I have been playing RTW since Sept 2004, am an old adult not a JUNIOR and my main employment is IT administrator.
    In the first place: welcome to the Org. I can understand your frustration, but I think you misunderstand the system. It is not a test of skill (or age), just an introductory period so the moderators can get to know you. This is somewhat restrictive, but helps to keep out trolls.

Since you are an experienced R:TW player, you could help out the newbie's that post here. If you want to add to discussions in other forums, you can post a topic here and a moderator will move it to the indicated thread. Also, several other forums are accessible to new members as well (see for more information the Guild FAQ). All that is required for full membership is posting here several times in a friendly and helpfull manner and a bit of patience.

Thanks for the intro Ludens. Reading the FAQ does indeed state that I can post in other forums however its not consistent with the FAQ. It seems the only other RTW forum I can post is "Hosted mods". Perhaps something is wrong or perhaps the FAQ needs updating.

My interests are pretty specific and mostly limited to the Colosseum forum but I will take into consideration your suggestions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
    Thanks for the intro Ludens. Reading the FAQ does indeed state that I can post in other forums however its not consistent with the FAQ. It seems the only other RTW forum I can post is "Hosted mods". Perhaps something is wrong or perhaps the FAQ needs updating.
    If the FAQ is indeed incorrect, please inform Therother. You should be able to post in the guide and modding forums, though you can't start new threads in all of them.

Apparently I can post here but not in any other forums.
    "Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mattisius Carsonius
    Apparently I can post here but not in any other forums.
    First of, welcome to the .Org Mattisius Carsonius .

Junior members are limited to posting in the Entrance Hall and some of the modification forums. This is a bit restrictive, but it allows the moderators to filter out trolls, spammers, flammers and other nuissances of the internet. All that is required to be promoted and get access to the other forums is a bit of patience and posting a few a friendly and helpful messages in the Entrance Hall.

Hi, I agree it can be annoying when I see a subject that I wish to reply too and find I cannot reply there. Therefore I dont tend to write anywhere else so I seem to be stuck in a junior member position for not posting enough.

Mine seems to be working now too. Thanks for the tips on this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Eddie
    Hi, I agree it can be annoying when I see a subject that I wish to reply too and find I cannot reply there. Therefore I dont tend to write anywhere else so I seem to be stuck in a junior member position for not posting enough.
    If you feel you have something important to add to a discussion, you can post it in the EH and the moderators will move it to the required thread.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Heh, looks like his number came up today, anyway.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

That means i have to behave! Oh boy, i'm such a spam bag! Er, i mean hyperactive!!!
    "I won't be happy until the last rabbit round here is the one inside your head, working the controls!"

All that is required to be promoted and get access to the other forums is a bit of patience and posting a few a friendly and helpful messages in the Entrance Hall.
    a bit of patience equals what amount?

can i have a custom avatar? ... how?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by genjuro
    a bit of patience equals what amount?
    You have to ask KukriKhan that, he is in charge promotions. I think it is around two weeks, sometimes a bit more, depending on how fast you post.

Quote Originally Posted by genjuro
    can i have a custom avatar? ... how?
    By my knowledge, custom avatars are as yet not allowed, though there has been some experimentation with it. There are plenty of TW avatars available in the UserCP though.

i got to be a member by answering people's modding questions a few times.
    Hey, Im back

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension ForVictory's Avatar

I am unable to post in the other sub forums exept this one, why?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Greetings ForVictory, welcome to the Org

I see you appreciate 'the direct approach'. Good. Here it is:

We have a two-step procedure to full membership, after which you can post forum-wide. This to cut down on spammers, baiters, trolls and other less-than-productive registerees, which I'm sure you have encountered on other game sites.

During the short time that you are a Junior Member, look for opportunities to make a positive contribution. You can start new topics in:

-Entrance Hall (where you are now)
    -Scriptorium (Rome:TotalWar mods area)https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=77, and
    -Apothecary (Tech help)https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You can reply to already-existing topics in the above forums too, plus:
    -Guides forum: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=78, and
    -Hosted Mods: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=74

We've studied our new registerees habits, and found that the vast majority seek info on: Guides, Mods & Tech Help, so we've kept those areas open to all, with additional content available after we get to know you a bit.

So...to repeat: welcome to the Org We're glad you've found and joined us. We're sorry for the inconvenience of your somewhat limited current access, but we look forward with eagerness to any contribution you might have to our community.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Thanks for youre nice welcome.
    So at how much posts do i need to be able to post in the othersub forums?

BTW (lol i cant even edit my previous post!) I am unable to start a new thread in Scriptorium, the main reason why i joined this forum.
    Am i not able to start a subject there like you said?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForVictory
    So at how much posts do i need to be able to post in the othersub forums?
    Promotion is not dependend on post-count. The most important thing is contribution: if you post here a few times in a friendly and helpful manner you will be promoted soon enough. Spamming to increase your post count will, at best, delay promotion. The editing function is unlocked when you are promoted.

BTW I am unable to start a new thread in Scriptorium, the main reason why i joined this forum.
    Am i not able to start a subject there like you said?
    I am afraid KurkiKhan was at least partially wrong, as there are many forums where you can post but not start new topics. For more information on what you can post in which forum, read the Guild FAQ.

Welcome to the Org, .

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast