Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most talented artist today....

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default The most talented artist today....

No question, this is the greatest artist of our time. Follow this link great experience
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.swf
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 02-25-2005 at 04:34.
    RIP Tosa

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: The most talented artist today....

At least he's having fun.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's why people should always think twice before uploading something to the seething cauldron of rancid wind blowing globally that is the international internet...

You never know where it will end up...

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

if ever there was a fan who deserved to be in a video for a song, it would certainly be that guy.
    indeed

All salute the funny fat singing guy.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

That is awesome... You were right Devastatin Dave
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Jack Blacks cousin...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    No question, this is the greatest artist of our time.
    incorrect.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3701484.stm
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John
    OMFG lololol I can't stop laughing over this one...funniest thing I've seen in ages.

The fat singing guy is hilarious too.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Pahahahaha! This has got to be a joke!
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

small words from small beings, trying to attack what they don't understand.

bow to marla's greatness fools!

That's a curious story. Anyone else thing the kids about to cry in the picture? Perhaps she's camera shy, at least going against the caption.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

He's lip-syncing like Milli Vanilli.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Very good and very funny - though it was posted here already, no?
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

People these days will buy anything. Pfft, what fools.

Proof, if proof be needed, that abstract art is rubbish. If a child can do it anyone can.

Now, if she paint a Rubens, or a Hals, or a Velazquez, or a Vermeer, or even something as ghastly as an Impressionist painting...THEN I'd be impressed.

*grumbles* bloddy little girl...I can paint much better than that, but do I get all the fame 'n' fortune, no...*/grumbles*
    Last edited by thrashaholic; 02-23-2005 at 08:46.

INFIDEL DEFILERS!

don't you get it? kandinsky! pollock!!!!! she signs her paintings "marla" but sometimes the R is reversed.. can you not see the glorious genius?

you shall all drown in lakes of blood.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I like the first painting !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

And I like the second. Like the oscar thread in the backroom - art is TOO subjective for us to state 'that is crap' or 'this is the best piece in the world', etc. It is very, very, VERY ignorant for you all to state how her art is rubbish where the fact that it sells and people like it proves otherwise.

And I dislike people who state 'oh well I could have done that!' Well... If you could have then why didn't you? It is trying to take credit for things you do not do like stating 'well if only I had been in a better school I would be a billionaire', the fact that you didn't paint the picture, the fact that you are not a billionaire are the real facts not your attempts at glossing over your own real story. The girl created this art, she has had the thought of the art and the creation of it, you did not, simple as.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Everyone knows that art stopped in 1695

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    And I like the second. Like the oscar thread in the backroom - art is TOO subjective for us to state 'that is crap' or 'this is the best piece in the world', etc. It is very, very, VERY ignorant for you all to state how her art is rubbish where the fact that it sells and people like it proves otherwise.

And I dislike people who state 'oh well I could have done that!' Well... If you could have then why didn't you? It is trying to take credit for things you do not do like stating 'well if only I had been in a better school I would be a billionaire', the fact that you didn't paint the picture, the fact that you are not a billionaire are the real facts not your attempts at glossing over your own real story. The girl created this art, she has had the thought of the art and the creation of it, you did not, simple as.
    She's 4 years old, what does she know about life? And if she doesn't know about life how can she create art? Calling this art lowers the standards for art considerably.

don't you get it? kandinsky! pollock!!!!! she signs her paintings "marla" but sometimes the R is reversed.. can you not see the glorious genius?
    Like Toys'R'Us! Now that you mention it, I see a lot of similarities between the store and abstract art...
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 02-23-2005 at 16:45.

She's 4 years old, what does she know about life? And if she doesn't know about life how can she create art? Calling this art lowers the standards for art considerably.
    What do you need to know about 'life' to make art? You have made a simplistic statement and not backed it up.

Why does this lower the 'standards' of art? Again a simplistic statement not backed up. Art is subjective, what you think 'lowers standards' and is 'crap' is the complete opposite for others. If you cannot grasp that.....

What do you need to know about 'life' to make art? You have made a simplistic statement and not backed it up.
    e.g., you can't write a poem about the loss of a loved one if you have never lost a loved one. You can't compose a song about being rejected by one you love if you never have. Common sense, being simplistic does not detract from what I said...minimilism is a form of "art" all in itself you know. I haven't heard why you think it's art other than that you liked it.

Why does this lower the 'standards' of art? Again a simplistic statement not backed up. Art is subjective, what you think 'lowers standards' and is 'crap' is the complete opposite for others. If you cannot grasp that.....
    You have a messed up definition of art. It's not "you look at something and think it looks nice, therefore it's art". It has to speak to you in some deep way. Resonate with your soul. A talented artist takes their innermost feelings and puts them into words or into a picture or music. What do you feel when you look at the paintings? What was the artist feeling? Can you really tell?

In this case I do know what she was feeling: "I'm bored today, so why don't I make some pretty splotches of paint! Lalalala!".

It is not me that has the mixed up view of art, it is unfortunately you. I find it amazingly strange people who would impose their ideas of what is and isn't art onto people, it is the worst form of egotism. I wouldn't dream of telling you what you can / can't wear, what you can / can't listen to etc, yet you are quite willing to have only things with your rubber stamp marked up as art.

art1 Audio pronunciation of "art" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ärt)
    n.

1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.
    1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    2. The study of these activities.
    3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
    3. High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
    4. A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
    5. A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.
    1. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    2. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.
    1. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    2. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).
    1. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    2. Artful contrivance; cunning.
    9. Printing. Illustrative material.
    Art has a VERY broad destription because it is so subjective and you cannot go around stating x is art, y is not art, like you can with, say, colours.

I still fail to understand why an artist NEEDS to have 'life experience' when doing art, the very idea seems absurd.

It is not me that has the mixed up view of art, it is unfortunately you. I find it amazingly strange people who would impose their ideas of what is and isn't art onto people, it is the worst form of egotism. I wouldn't dream of telling you what you can / can't wear, what you can / can't listen to etc, yet you are quite willing to have only things with your rubber stamp marked up as art.

Art has a VERY broad destription because it is so subjective and you cannot go around stating x is art, y is not art, like you can with, say, colours.

I still fail to understand why an artist NEEDS to have 'life experience' when doing art, the very idea seems absurd.
    I have a drawing...I think it's beautiful, but no one else does...is it art?

If everything is art, then nothing as art.

And I think you misunderstand me. True, I'm not going to call something art just because someone else does, but I'm not going to say they can't look at it/can't draw it/can't buy it...there is no imposing here...I said what I thought nothing more. You are going over the top with this.

Art is something that is man-made and that i inspired by nature or has it's roots somewhere in nature. Nature itself is not art. I do find problems with JAG's thinking here though.

Sure this girl's paintings could be considered by some to be "good" BUT such a thing artistic talent or merit DOES exist. You can't just sit there and throw brushes around aimlessly and have people think you did it for a reason. That is NOT art! You have to make something with the right intent even if it is abstract. A person who is 4 years old can't possibly comprehend anything deep enough to make real art.

Everything is subjective to a certain degree. Where art ends crap begins. And there IS crap out there! You can't deny that! You can't compare a Dali painting with the result of (let's say) me spraying diahrrea all over the wall and then selling. And trust me people would buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth
    Everyone knows that art stopped in 1695
    Agreed, except for some Pre-Raphaelite works (Rossetti etc.) and the British Romantic and Neo-Classical painters (Turner, Constable, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Gainsborough etc.)

Baroque was the pinnacle of art, combining the attention to accuracy and detail of the rennaissance with ultra realistic light and perspective techniques that haven't been improved upon since. The dark backgrounds and contrast with subtle, delicate, well painted, light effects in the foreground create an atmosphere of intrigue, intensity, realism and dynamism that has not, and most probably will not, been matched by any later artistic movement.

Abstract Expressionism (the movement of Kandinsky and Pollock, and seemingly this little girl) has nothing that makes it 'good' other than simply being abstract; no movement, no light, no dark. I'm left completely and utterly cold by its unsubtle blocks of colour and complete lack of 'form', form that is necessary in order to be able to experiment with colour, light and indeed form itself.

I find it "very, very, VERY ignorant" of people who complain about people's opinion of art when they themselves clearly know nothing about it. As an artist, amateur admittedly, I can assure you that ANYONE could paint like an abstract artist (not so with some of the other modern art movements though) as it is essentially 'child art'. All art is social comment, it's just that modern art's is far easier to understand and the ideals it embodies are shared with today's patrons. Those ideals are, somewhat unfortunately, ones of deconstructionism and breaking with tradition, which invariably leads to the abominations we see selling for thousands today.

I have no problem with abstract art, in fact I quite like some of the small subtle pieces that one sees around in people's houses, restaurants and shops, but none deserves to be called a masterpiece, none of it is 'good' enough.

sorry dave.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

sorry dave.
    That's ok, I just made some art in my pants looking at some of your babe thread pics!!! Would that be conceptual art or abstract?
    RIP Tosa

You'de be suprised by how many people would buy you cream if you marketed it the right way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast