Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Campaign map development

Default Re: Campaign map development

Andreas i cant see the screens you posted

boastj: They work fine for me

And others: Yes, Malkeir is a bit off-place but thst isn't to hard to change. And the Mountains of Doom will be raised a bit, maybe?
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Looking good.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    boastj: They work fine for me

And others: Yes, Malkeir is a bit off-place but thst isn't to hard to change. And the Mountains of Doom will be raised a bit, maybe?
    Sounds good.

Well, our goal is to make a game as close to the feeling of the books as we can, and countries "of place" wouldn't do:)

yeah - it's too bad I haven't seen anything official about where Malkier was or it's size - has anyone else?

all I know is what I already mentioned - it being between Shienar and the Blight... we have some figures about the number of soldiers it could muster... maybe that could be used to figure the size?
    Drink water.

SMZ -

If you look closely on the book flaps you can see Malkier outlined with tiny dots. It isn't easy to see, but the outline for Malkier is drawn on the covers.

cdaulepp

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

Malkier should be accoring to books betwen blight and Shenar and Arfael. Those two countries wouldn't border with Blight. Also I think M should control Tarwin's gap.
    Three main mountain ranges (Mountains of doom (to the north), Spine of the world (to the east) and Mountains of the Myst) should be realy high (expecialy Spine of the world in the region of jangai pass). The should have passes but not too much of them (Spine has only three (one by the Myaene, Jangai pass and one in shienar)). mountains of Myst should be impasable (we don't want Arad domain armies looting and burning trought andor). For mountains of doom I sugest apart from Tarwin's gap which should be a pretty vide valy, there should be one or two passes per borderlander border teritory.

thanks cdaulepp! I don't know why I never saw that before...

oh an 4th - doesn't look like it covers Arafel to me - just goes about halfway between Shol Arbela and Arafels' border with Shienar... so Arafel still borders the Blight
    Drink water.

You are so right, fellow team member. It goes to exactly the point you mentioned, no more...

And yes, those mountains will be pretty high...

There are passes leading through the Mountains of Mist from Almoth Plain to Ghealdan and the Two Rivers (our heroes pass through one in The Dragon Reborn and loads of refugees arrive in the Two Rivers from Almoth between The Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos). However, I agree that the mountains should be kept impassable in the game. A few small groups slipping through the mountains is different to a large army equipped with baggage trains forcing its way through.

How about calling the Shadow's main town Thakan'dar (as that's where the Trollocs and Myrddraal based near Shadar Logoth seem to live and forge their weapons) and have a huge volcano behind it as Shayol Ghul? Or have a city named Shayol Ghul with the volcano behind it as close as possible?

Interesting tidbit from the World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel Time (aka The Big White Book): there is a mountain range along the southern border of Cairhien called the Maraside Mountains. There is only one pass through these mountains, the Jolvaine, which terminates at a town called Endersole, destroyed in the climatic battle between Artur Hawkwing and Guaire Amalasan. Hope that helps with the campaign map.
    A Game of Thrones: Total War - A mod for Medieval 2

Ah yes, Dragonmount and SG as werry tall vulcanoes are a must. They do not need to erupt. Just to be there and show on battle map, as when you battle in sicila and can see that volcano.

Also from the Big White Book (if you have it, look on page 147). There are 5 passes from "Randland" into the Aiel Waste.

1. Tarwin's Gap (in Malkier) "lies in the valley between the Mountains of Doom and the Dragonwall."

2. There are a series of foot paths on the southern edge of Shienar, called the Niamh Passes, that traverse the Dragonwall into the Aiel Waste.

3. Jangai Pass (in Cairhien)

4. An unnamed Pass on the eastern edge of Haddon Mirk. (north of Stedding Shantai)

5. It's possible to go south around the Dragonwall and enter the Aiel Waste (northeast of Mayene) but the Big White Book says going that route is dangerous. The Drowned Lands are an unexplored area and filled with wild animals (I'm thinking boas, pythons, and crocodiles). The Big White Book also says that if someone makes it past the Drowned Lands they would enter the part of the Waste where there is no water at all. I'm thinking an army would die from thirst if they tried to go this way from the way it is described in the Big white Book, so for the game you may wish to make it impassable.

All in all Jangai and that in Shienar are Army passable. Haddon mirk is a jungle, it would be like moving an army trough Amazon. And that way Aiel will also bother Tear which is kinda unrealistic. Beter leave only passes in Shienar an Jangai passable.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Also from the Big White Book (if you have it, look on page 147). There are 5 passes from "Randland" into the Aiel Waste.

1. Tarwin's Gap (in Malkier) "lies in the valley between the Mountains of Doom and the Dragonwall."

2. There are a series of foot paths on the southern edge of Shienar, called the Niamh Passes, that traverse the Dragonwall into the Aiel Waste.

3. Jangai Pass (in Cairhien)

4. An unnamed Pass on the eastern edge of Haddon Mirk. (north of Stedding Shantai)

5. It's possible to go south around the Dragonwall and enter the Aiel Waste (northeast of Mayene) but the Big White Book says going that route is dangerous. The Drowned Lands are an unexplored area and filled with wild animals (I'm thinking boas, pythons, and crocodiles). The Big White Book also says that if someone makes it past the Drowned Lands they would enter the part of the Waste where there is no water at all. I'm thinking an army would die from thirst if they tried to go this way from the way it is described in the Big white Book, so for the game you may wish to make it impassable.
    We're one step ahead of you there, all those passes are already represented on the map, I won't reveal to you yet which will be passable, though you can probably guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead
    There are passes leading through the Mountains of Mist from Almoth Plain to Ghealdan and the Two Rivers (our heroes pass through one in The Dragon Reborn and loads of refugees arrive in the Two Rivers from Almoth between The Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos). However, I agree that the mountains should be kept impassable in the game. A few small groups slipping through the mountains is different to a large army equipped with baggage trains forcing its way through.
    Exactly. Then the passes between Murandy and Altar is more interesting, IMO since they apparently really restricts army movement.
    How about calling the Shadow's main town Thakan'dar (as that's where the Trollocs and Myrddraal based near Shadar Logoth seem to live and forge their weapons) and have a huge volcano behind it as Shayol Ghul? Or have a city named Shayol Ghul with the volcano behind it as close as possible?
    As I have gotten it, it is the valley that is named Thakan'dar, since Demandred when he arrives at Shayol Ghul watch a smith take a prisoner and bring her into the smithy, just at the slopes of the mountain, which would imply that they are the same palce.
    Interesting tidbit from the World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel Time (aka The Big White Book): there is a mountain range along the southern border of Cairhien called the Maraside Mountains. There is only one pass through these mountains, the Jolvaine, which terminates at a town called Endersole, destroyed in the climatic battle between Artur Hawkwing and Guaire Amalasan. Hope that helps with the campaign map.
    That could be of great help! Where did you find that anyway (in what passage)...?

And the volcanos are there, trust me:)

It's on page 105 of the big white edition, under the chapter 'The Second Dragon and the Rise of Artur Hawkwing'.

"Artur Hawkwing was moving south out of Tova, across the Maraside Mountains, (along the present southern border of Cairhien), to join the fighting in Khodomar." The mountains can be seen in the colour endpaper maps extending along Cairhien's southern border.

Other mountain & hill ranges: the Nemarellin Mountains along Illian's west coast, the Doirlon Hills on Illian's eastern border, the Venir Mountains in southern Altara (along the headland east of Ebou Dar), the Banikhan Mountains along Saldaea's western border (just inland from World's End), the Tunaighan Hills in Andor (just south of Caemlyn), the Hills of Absher in Andor (between Baerlon and Whitebridge), and the Hills of Cumbar along the Andor/Murandy border (deep breath). There's also the Damona Mountains along the Altara/Murandy border, which I'm guessing are the ones on the map that blend into Garen's Wall and also the ones mentioned where Pedron Niall fought a great battle (Jhamara) in the Whitecloak War.

This may also be of help: apparently Robert Jordan gave a scale to the RPG designers whilst they were working on the RPG sourcebook. On the colour endpaper maps in the hardback editions of books 6-11, approximately 1 inch=400 miles.

More pics please. The whole map!!!!! One pic every two or three weeks is weak.

cdaulepp

haha - *bugs Andreas for you*
    Drink water.

you'll get a demo soon... Only 2 models to go before we have all the units for the demo. Some of you have said you like Pedron Niall, well soon you'll be able to lead or fight his armies. If you still want pics after that, I'll go throw myself off a bridge or something...

Woha, for you to get the whole map would be pretty stupid, eh;) Then you would have nothing to wait for in the full game later:)

Well we'll be satisfied with screens of pieces of map then. Just something to make our waiting easier.

The demo is nearly done? Wahey!

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

Hooray, I can't wait to play as the Children. I think I'm one fo the very few people in the world that likes them. At an RJ book signing, a buddy and I showed up in armor and white cloaks with the sunburst and everything, ROFL.
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"

Because of likes of you I feel less wierd :D

Hi there GreyHuntr Welcome to the forums and its always good to see another WoT fan out there

Child of the Light Member GreyHuntr's Avatar

To see the look on RJ's face was worth it. To quote him, we weren't his "favorite group of people".
    "The Children have authority where there is Light. Where the Light is not, we bring it!"

Good to hear that the demo is coming, keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyHuntr
    To see the look on RJ's face was worth it. To quote him, we weren't his "favorite group of people".
    Ahh that's why Pedron Nial had to die. Pedron Nial for DR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123