Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Rome: Total War

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Default Re: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Rome: Total War

Ok, here is update of things I'll probably do.

First, this one I haven't listed before, but it seems that if General gets Senate Office for second time he'll lose all of its benefits. The problem is with "FirstTime" triggers, since they get triggered even second time, making a mess.

About Energetic trait.
    I decided to leave first two levels as they are (+2/+4 movement), since I don't want to alter game dynamics, considering that some leaders start with these traits, and reducing them would change start of the game.

So I'll probably just up 3rd and 4th level with +4movment, just so that benefits won't get lost.

Also, forth level will give +4 management so it won't feel as disadvantage.

As for Berserk trait its last level will give bonus morale instead of penalty. Obviosuly this is boost for germans, thracian and dacian factions, since they have temples that increase this trait. But as I said nothing in descirption makes it feel it should get penalty.

As for IanR trait, I probably would not bother, since it is very rare thing to get first level of trait (rolling 8% two times after adopting brothers), with other levels almost impossible.

For RomanHero and Brave, I'll increase last level moral bonus to +5, since nowhere it explains why would they lose bonus instead.

I would not "play" with titles (the brave, the great), since I think it's more in the realm of moding and personal preference.

I won't bother with popularstanding with Brave, since who knows, maybe romans bribe Brave general.

And considering that Coward trait has negative to popular standing, being available to everyone, I won't bother changing or limiting Feck trait.

Speak now, if you disagree or think there is some better option.

EDIT:
    Edited...
    Last edited by player1; 05-23-2005 at 08:09.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

A Barbarian Mercenary Member unseen11's Avatar

Well you do what you want with the Lively trait, at least you upgraded the last level to +4 management

The changes your going to make to the beserk trait seem good

I don't know what the IandR trait is so no comment

No complaints against Roman hero and brave trait change

I suppose it's a good idea to remove popular standing with brave since it should only apply to Romans

However I'm not so sure about Feck, is it possible to make a Feck that applies only to Romans and a Feck that applies to other factions? because for other factions you could make it that Feck raises morale for troops yet decreases Influence (like +1 morale -1 influence) so it's a mixed blessing

UPDATE:

Actaully, when I think about it, I think I won't bother with "popularstanding" thing, when I relized that even Coward trait has popularstanding penalty, and you can't really limit that to romans.

So, changes to Brave in regrards to popular standing as well as limiting Feck will NOT happen.

And who knows, romans can bribe brave general, so bonus to popularty has meaning.
    Last edited by player1; 05-23-2005 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen11
    However I'm not so sure about Feck, is it possible to make a Feck that applies only to Romans and a Feck that applies to other factions? because for other factions you could make it that Feck raises morale for troops yet decreases Influence (like +1 morale -1 influence) so it's a mixed blessing
    Its possible, but that would lead to making vanilla 1.2 patch saved games incompatible with this bug-fixer, and that's something I don't want to do.

Anyway I dropped whole Feck issue.

My motto is:
    If you are not sure about changing something then don't.

To sum up plans for next version:

-Fixing senate office triggers
    -increasing 3rd and 4th level of Energetit trait movment bonus to 20% (was 10%)
    -increasing 4th level of Energetit trait management bonus to +4 (was +2)
    -chaning Berserker morale penalty to bonus (from -4 to +4 to morale)
    -increasing last level RomanHero and Brave bonuses to +5 (was +2)
    -chaning IanR personal security penalities to -1/-2/-3 (was -10/-20/-30)

P.S.
    I decided to fix IanR, when I realised that -10 to securty is more then enough for novice assassin to do succesful hit.

New things I found, that will be fixed:

Drinking Companion ancillary should be attainable in fun temples and avobe, and not just fun temples (">= temple_of_fun_temple" instead of "=").

Similary, Master Embalmer should be attainable in healing temples and above, and not just healing temples (">= temple_of_healing_temple" instead of "=").

Similary, Civilized Slave should be attainable in forum and above, and not just in forum (">= forum" instead of "=").

Also, Polybius trigger needs to be reworked, since this...

Code:
    Trigger trigger_polybius_of_megalopolis
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
        Condition EndedInSettlement
              and SettlementBuildingExists = scriptorium
              and SettlementBuildingExists = academy
              and FactionType romans_scipii
              and IsGeneral
              and I_TurnNumber >=  180 
              and I_TurnNumber < =  304 

AcquireAncillary polybius_of_megalopolis chance  80
    ...is never true.

Changing to...

Code:
              and SettlementBuildingExists < = scriptorium
              and SettlementBuildingExists >= academy
    ...would do the trick.
    Last edited by player1; 05-23-2005 at 10:27.

Version 1.2 uploaded.

New in this version:
    -Triggers for Civilized Slave, Drinking Companion and Master Embalmer retinue members changed, so they won't be available only in cities with one specific building (forum/temple), but also in cities were such building is upgraded (ex. great forum/large temple)
    -Fixed an error in trigger for gaining Polybius as retinue member
    -Berserker trait tweaked so it gives morale bonus, instead of penalty (+4 morale), making it in line with lower levels of the trait
    -To prevent drop in morale bonus, highest levels of Brave and RomanHero line of traits get their morale bonuses increased from +2 to +5
    -Energetic line of traits tweaked, so they won't get worse at higher levels
    -Feck line of traits limited to Romans only, since two of its effects deal with senate and people popularity
    -Personal security penalty for Self-Publicist line of traits reduced from -10/-20/-30 to -1/-2/-3, since previous values were way off normal range
    -Fixed problems with Senate Office triggers, which could result in losing some traits

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

CA should be paying you. Thanks for all the work
    Last edited by SpencerH; 05-24-2005 at 01:14.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Expect next update to be big.
    I finally reverengineered some unit prices, especialy how much is cavalry shield worth.

I'd like to see the "Zones Of Recruitment" idea included in the next one .
    E Tenebris Lux

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH
    I'd like to see the "Zones Of Recruitment" idea included in the next one .
    Ugh...
    I doubt, is it proper to add it to a simple bug fix mod.

Probably not, but it would mean that I dont have to search around to find what needs to be mod-ed.
    Last edited by SpencerH; 05-25-2005 at 12:17.
    E Tenebris Lux

Are the Bug-Fixer and CVP compatible? Do they fix the same issues the same way, or how does this work?

Most trait fixes done in bug-fixer, are done in CVP in one way or another, so it's pretty safe to use CVP files over bugfixer files.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH
    Probably not, but it would mean that I dont have to search around to find what needs to be mod-ed.
    Using file compare (fc) from command prompt is a good way to see what exactly changes are done compared to original 1.2 rules. That gives you base to more easily intergrate ZOR mod.

Version 1.3 uploaded.
    (two versions in 3 days )

New in this version:

-Removed Wedge ability from both Thracian bodyguard units (made no sense for general's unit)
    -Late Thracian bodyguard unit gets its armor rating increased from 3 to 6, so it would actually have different stats then early bodyguard, especially considering that it already uses heavier armored unit model
    -Removed shield bonus from early Thracian bodyguards and Bedouin Archers, since those units have no shields
    -Added shield bonus of 4 to late Pontic bodyguards, since their unit models have shield
    -Removed reference to shield from early Thracian and late Scythian bodyguards descriptions
    -Removed reference to "good quality armour" from Desert Axemen custom battle description (probably leftover from pre-patch time when desert axemen has armor value of 11)
    -Fixed inconsistencies in mass ratings for following units: Bastarnae Mercenaries, Silver Shield Legionaries, Scutarii and Bull Warriors
    -Removed bonus to popularity with people from Brave line of traits, since those traits are reserved for non-romans only.

bravo, excellent work

Here are few more things too look in to (for future patch) -
    Trait intelligent there is absolutly no way to gain it beyond first level. But in campaign you can see characters with second level of this trait? possibly even third. So it look like developers forgot to add such thing like:
    Trigger random_birthNN
    WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition Trait Intelligent > = 1

Affects Intelligent 1 Chance 50

etc.

Same thing applies to other skills like NaturalPhilosophySkill, MathematicsSkill, PhilosophySkill and other simillar skills.

You are so right.

Most other inborn-only traits 50% chance to get 1 extra point, and then another 50% for next extra point, etc...

Although as far as I see only Intelligent trait needs to be inborn with higher levels. For those others (that are skills), it seams that triggers on some other places are missing.

Although, when I think about it, I bet that Intelligent is supposed to fuction similar as Inbred line of traits (depending from your father).

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

I've just installed v1.3 and I'm really looking forward to using it, along with Darth Vader's formation mod and a few unit tweaks of my own. Thanks for all the hard work - most of what you did would have left me thinking "Wha?"

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    Although as far as I see only Intelligent trait needs to be inborn with higher levels. For those others (that are skills), it seams that triggers on some other places are missing.
    Indeed, here is my idea for skills

Trigger selfperpetuating49

Condition Trait MathematicsSkill > = 1

Affects MathematicsSkill 1 Chance 4

You can look at PoeticSkill in original file, for some weird reason (I suspect this reason is called forgetfullness) PoeticSkill can be increased unlike others simillar skills.
    Btw there is clear error with PoeticSkill, it's available to only greeks. In skill description they exclude only barbarians (which seems logical) but during birth such skill is only accessible for greeks, moreover greeks have 2 chances to increase this skill:
    Trigger random_birth37

Condition CultureType greek

Affects Arse 1 Chance 4
    Affects PhilosophySkill 1 Chance 8
    Affects MathematicsSkill 1 Chance 4
    Affects PoeticSkill 1 Chance 6
    Affects PoeticSkill 1 Chance 4
    I suspect that Affects PoeticSkill 1 Chance 4 shold be moved from greeks section to generic trigger.
    One more odditie in Skills now it's NaturalPhilosophySkill. Eastern excluded in skill description but they clearly intended to gain this skill, look at the Trigger random_birth39.
    As for idea to treat Intelligence simmilar to Inbred I have to disagree, probably Handsome/Ugly will be a better example for parents influence :) The only bad thing is since there is no antitrait to intelligent, there will be to many smart peoples for my liking. So I think it's better to stick to only such traits like:

Condition Trait Intelligent > = 1/2/3

Selfperpetuating is interesting idea, advancing some of those skills.

As for poetics, maybe developers wanted poetic skill to be greek only? For example, poet retinue memebers are only available in odeons.
    And some generals can get being good poets from the beggining (that's why 2 there are two lines).

For NaturalPhilosophy, similar retinue member is also excluded from eastern cultures, so I get having them in trigger is probably an error (and harmless one).

For intelligence, I agree that getting them inherited could just be too much. But something like NaturalMilitaryTalent trait could be interesting.

Code:
    Trigger dads_NaturalMilitaryTalent

Condition FatherTrait NaturalMilitarySkill >= 1

Affects NaturalMilitarySkill  1  Chance  30
    Only first level is gained this way. Other levels need:

Code:
    Trigger random_birth43

Condition Trait NaturalMilitarySkill >= 1

Affects NaturalMilitarySkill  1  Chance  50 

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger random_birth44

Condition Trait NaturalMilitarySkill >= 2

Trigger random_birth45

Condition Trait NaturalMilitarySkill >= 3

I'm not sure about greek poets and eastern phylosophers.
    As for intellegence trait, NaturalMilitarySkill is a good example, that's how intelligence should be implemented.

Ok, I would surely add something like this:

Trigger random_birthNN

Condition Trait Intelligent > = 1

As for "dad_intelligent", I'm thinking, maybe it was omitted deliveratly, since raw intelligence isn't always inherited to kids. Some talents as well as level of education is, but I'm not sure about raw intelligence that intelligent trait represents.

Anyway, it's interesting that philosopher and mathematicam retinue members can be gained at academy, so maybe they should trigger similar character traits. It's similar to rethoricans and natural philosopher at lundus magnus (did I spelled this well?).

Ok, here are my current proposals (all new triggers):

Code:
    Trigger random_birth57

Condition Trait Intelligent >= 1

Affects Intelligent  1  Chance  50 

Trigger random_birth58

Condition Trait Intelligent >= 2

Affects Intelligent  1  Chance  50
    and:

Code:
    Trigger academy_vnv_trigger

and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
              and SettlementBuildingExists >= academy

Affects MathematicsSkill  1  Chance  5 
        Affects PhilosophySkill  1  Chance  10

Trigger ludus_magnus_vnv_trigger

and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
              and SettlementBuildingExists = ludus_magnus

Affects NaturalPhilosophySkill  1  Chance  10 
        Affects RhetoricSkill  1  Chance  10

New random bith triggers add possibilty of expetionaly intelligent generals to be born, while academy triggers give ability to improve some of the skills that coul not be improved in other way.

Percentages and conditions for academy triggers are set to be same as for getting retinue memebrs of same type. For ludus magnus trigger, while both retinue triggers are at 15% chances, I deciced to use 10%, since I so no reason why naturalphilosophy and rhetorics are more easier to lern then philosophy. Also, I think that ancillatries gained by scriptorium and ludus magnus deliberatly have higher chance to happen, then memebr from academy, to make leaders get better retinue memebrs.

I still have yet to decide about dad_intelligent kind of trigger similar to NaturalMilitarySkill.

Now, some new things I want to discuss.
    Here are existing triggers for traits of new assassins:

Code:
    Trigger assassininit1
        WhenToTest AgentCreated

Condition AgentType = assassin

Affects NaturalAssassinSkill  1  Chance  100 

Trigger assassininit2
        WhenToTest AgentCreated

and Trait NaturalAssassinSkill = 1

Affects NaturalAssassinSkill  1  Chance  33 

Trigger assassininit3
        WhenToTest AgentCreated

and Trait NaturalAssassinSkill >= 2

Affects NaturalAssassinSkill  1  Chance  33 

Trigger assassininit4
        WhenToTest AgentCreated

and SettlementBuildingExists = great_forum

Affects NaturalAssassinSkill  1  Chance  100 

Trigger assassininit5
        WhenToTest AgentCreated

and SettlementBuildingExists = curia

Affects NaturalAssassinSkill  2  Chance  100
    Triggers from 1 to 3 randomly give assassins natural talent from 1 to 3 (with geniuses being the rarest).
    But triggers 4 and 5 are interesting. First they got introduced with 1.2 patch. Second they give better assassins if forum is upgraded. But, it's weird that they add to talent. That way if you have great forum, no assasin will have just "talent for killing", all with be either "natural born killers or geniuses". If you have Curia, all assassins will be "assassination genius", nothing less.

Is it possible that 4th and 5th triggers are supposed to add to assasin experience (GoodAssasin) instead? That way the upgraded building always mean something, and not all recuited assassins will be geniuses (but those that are will have good starting qualities).
    Good: no so many geniuses means not so easy to maximize every assassin skills
    Maybe bad: better talented assassins can get a good start if having upgraded forums
    Last edited by player1; 05-29-2005 at 08:07.

Hey man i just had to re-registered to post here. player1, you rock for makin this patch. I just updated to 1.3 from 1.11. Gonna try it out now.

great job player1, and all the other folks who have spotted the bugs!!

New findings:
    Haemophobic and LenientJustice negative traits seem to be lacking slefperpetuating levels to get worse over time. Currently you can only get first level by birth (will be fixed).

Also, Haemophobic really needs to be antitrait to Berserk, otherwise you could get bloodyhanded lily-livered general (will be fixed).

Also GloriusFool can only be gained one level on birth (not sure what exaclt to do with this one).

Ok, I think making Glorious Fool have selfperpetuating trigger. Not everyone has charisma to be glorious fool. So only those that started with first level of trait, will have chances of gaining higher levels.

Of course, if such character starts wining some more difficult battles, he'll get cured of glory sindrome (since GoodAttacker and GoodRiskyAttacker are antitraits), if things haven't gone too far (NoGoingBackLevel 2).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast