Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to totalwar.com recently

Angry Has anyone been to totalwar.com recently

I'm just curious,
    I went there recently and I couldn't help laughing out loud.
    It is one big propaganda fest.

They even have a thread celebrating the 'great future of Total:Warrior'.
    I wonder if their 'registered users' aren't complete sellouts.

Your comments.
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

Default Re: Has anyone been to totalwar.com recently

yup, i dont really bother with the .com any more, but more for the generally shallow discussions that happen there. Though i have noticed that the Ministry for Truth clearly has officials working at tw.com.

All hail tw.org & twcentre i say, and death to all that dissagree!! err, as long as thats not too like propaganda.....
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

Cry Havoc and let slip the FERRETS OF WAR!

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

You do know that the guy that started the thread is the SEGA Europe's' Web community manager. It is basically a thread where you can ask questions about it and he will try and answer. It is not a sell out.
    The com is the official board and it is the place where official announcements will happen. This is one of them more or less.

It seems to me that you have desided not to like it at all and anything short of a full apology from CA will not make you smile again. You didn't even look at the thread.

Good work there!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Hi All,

I've been lurking for quite sometime on this board and the .com board. I decided to join this board as it has less of a "dramatic" environment. But I have to say the .com board is something I continue to lurk around as in between all the static there is very good information.

Cheers
    AussieGiant

Err- Kraxis, who are you flaming?

Just to clear up I wasnt speaking about the total warrior thread in specific, just that generally ive given up on the .com as it is an official forum and you tend to get the official line there.

My opinion about total warrior has been improving mind you.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

If you noticed I posted basically on top of you... And I'm not flaming, I'm just tired of the old 'wheee, .com bad, me good, me bash .com, me not read threads there but me want to comment on them.'
    If you want to complain about the .com then at least do the rest of us teh favour of actually getting the basics right.

So you see it wasn't direct at you.

Sorry, my bad, I never checked the post time. Its easy to get the wrong impression when your not talking face to face.
    -Voltaire-

Let's not get into mud slinging at another TW forum or site. Each has site has its fans. Which forum you prefer is a matter of personal taste. If you are happy with the forum(s) where you hang out, that is all that matters.
    This space intentionally left blank

You do know that the guy that started the thread is the SEGA Europe's' Web community manager. It is basically a thread where you can ask questions about it and he will try and answer.
    Kraxis, I know it is an official thread but did you see the responses from most of the 'registered users', they reply was oh how great. I really love and trust Sega. Hail to our mighty CA leaders. I personally find it very hard to believe that the merger was taken soo well by any TW gamer. After all, the reaction it got here and TW center was one of shock and horror. Am I to believe the .com users did not have similiar concerns.

This sucks, back in MTW, we could say what we wanted without the CA's Gestapo censoring our thread.

Let the dissent flourish!
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

i find it ammusing that the people at CA even bother to check or read peoples opinions at all, since it seems all anyone does is bitch and complain about this bug or this bug or something not being up to your standards. People dont seem to apprecitate that CA atleast makes an effort to please people and to fix their screw ups, i mean they could have just put the patch on the expansion and charged for it but they put it up for free.. You have to understand that they are a business and although they try to please the consumer, they ulitmatley have to make a profit. Im happy with CA, and i am also happy that they have a huge fanbase that fills in voids that Ca doesnt, such as people who work so hard to share Mods with everyone. I mean honestly, get a life and stop worrying about a video game company and obessing over it. I dont know if its sad or scary that some people care so much , i mean i love RTW and try to squeeze it in between playing guitar and school, but damn some people need to find a girlfriend.
    Last edited by steve; 03-17-2005 at 08:44.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    i find it ammusing that the people at CA even bother to check or read peoples opinions at all, since it seems all anyone does is bitch and complain about this bug or this bug or something not being up to your standards. People dont seem to apprecitate that CA atleast makes an effort to please people and to fix their screw ups, i mean they could have just put the patch on the expansion and charged for it but they put it up for free.. You have to understand that they are a business and although they try to please the consumer, they ulitmatley have to make a profit. Im happy with CA, and i am also happy that they have a huge fanbase that fills in voids that Ca doesnt, such as people who work so hard to share Mods with everyone. I mean honestly, get a life and stop worrying about a video game company and obessing over it. I dont know if its sad or scary that some people care so much , i mean i love RTW and try to squeeze it in between playing guitar and school, but damn some people need to find a girlfriend.
    Exactly why do you think that fixing one's own mistakes is such an exceptional achievement that should be praised? I thought that it should be a standard, but probably I am just too old for this.

And basically because I have a life, I can only play one hour a day or so, thus the load-game bug is pretty ruining my game experience.

Perhaps when I deliver a faulty product I should tell my boss (and the customers of the enterprise I work for) to just get over it.
    "Only when the human spirit is allowed to invent and create, only when individuals are given a personal stake in deciding economic policies and benefitting from their success -- only then can societies remain economically alive, dynamic, progressive, and free. Trust the people."
    Ronald Reagan

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

I think it is standard practise for people or companies to take responsibility for their actions. In this case I do believe CA would wish to continue correcting any serious gameplay issues. On the other hard I believe this CA desire is being negatively affected by business deals in place with Activision. That of course is not just Activision responsibility but also those in CA you struck the agreement.

I just hope that CA, in its "NEW" deal with Sega have have taken note of all the undesirable aspects of the previous relationship and removed or modified them for the New relationship. This would include topics such as patch support, development issues, and creative (realisms) areas.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

................i mean they could have just put the patch on the expansion and charged for it ......
    Any ideas about how few people will pay for an expansion to fix bugs that came with a game they already bought?
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

I will not.

This is my first game of the TW series, and if the things go on like they do, it's the last.
    "Only when the human spirit is allowed to invent and create, only when individuals are given a personal stake in deciding economic policies and benefitting from their success -- only then can societies remain economically alive, dynamic, progressive, and free. Trust the people."
    Ronald Reagan

I agree that when the game was put out it should have been bug free ... no doubt. Maybe that wasnt a good example, but it seems to me that i do see people on their site bitching and having unrealistic expectations of a video game company. On the other hand i have seen people on there that seem to just search for the slightest imperfection of the game so they can just complain about it. I also do think that CA could have put alot of those fixes in an expasion pack that included many other features and many people would have bought them. One question i have , did MTW have so many issues when it was put out?

I was worried about the buyout when I first heard about it, as much as I like Dynasty Warriors type games, I was hoping to see more Total War style games (Including being one of the minority who'd like to see a fantasy Total War...)

However, when it was pointed out that CA has always had a console division, that they've been producing console games the whole time they've been producing the Total War games, and that Total Warrior is a different line with a different team, I'm not worried anymore, and I figure I'll probably like Spartan: Total Warrior, just hope they release it on the only console I own (PS2).
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Aetius, there was a lot of complaining. Why do you think that Alex starts out his post trying to be dimplomatic and saying he wants to calm people's fears. Hardly something I would do if there hadn't been anything but praise for the Sega buyout. Alex certainly did settle a lot of fears, and if you would care to read just the first page you will find a number of posts where people have flamed him. So obviously the .com is very much differnt than your view of sellouts and fanboys.

By that last post you just confirmed my suspicion about you. You think that your fears are the only right way and that Sega and console gaming is a bad thing in all. Other opinions (such as those you complain about) is just stupid people with little idea about how the real world revolves.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 03-17-2005 at 18:56.

I agree that when the game was put out it should have been bug free ... no doubt.
    It is close to impossible to release a 100% bug-free software of such a complication grade as a modern PC game. But it is the self-righteous attitude of those developers (as in locking the threads with complaints about The Bug) that disturbs me.
    Maybe that wasnt a good example, but it seems to me that i do see people on their site bitching and having unrealistic expectations of a video game company. On the other hand i have seen people on there that seem to just search for the slightest imperfection of the game so they can just complain about it.
    You (and Kraxis in his post before this one) are very much right about that. This is why I registered on this forum and not in that one, after a period of lurking around.
    I also do think that CA could have put alot of those fixes in an expasion pack that included many other features and many people would have bought them.
    If they don't resolve the problem with that Major Bug in a patch before The Expansion, I will not buy the latter one. The Expansion will introduce new bugs (I have no problem with that) and I want to be able to hope that those bugs will get fixed, without me paying for an expasion-to-expansion, and then expasion-to-expasion-to-expansion etc.
    Ronald Reagan

CA is behaving in a less than honorable way toward the buyers of RTW. The right thing to do is to fix gamebreaking bugs immediately, and to do it in a free patch release. Imposing censorship on people who complain, no matter how bitterly, over LEGITIMATE issues, just shouldn't happen.

I develop software and know you cannot create perfection on the first shot with a large, sophisticated program. Users know this too, and they will be tolerant to a degree of the first effort. But once you address the issues and say, "We've done all we intend to do", as CA has, you then best better have a nearly perfect product, with no bugs rated as serious or critical. The HA bug is serious, the scarring issue is serious, and the save/reload bug borders on critical for its threat to good gameplay for many users. This is hardly the kind of stuff that should have escaped them, and they need to be accountable for their errors- EVEN IF IT COSTS THEM MONEY TO FIX!!

We aren't going to get fairness though, because CA has sold its corporate soul to the devil, and we will have to pay for fixes in the expansion pack which should have been caught with release 1.1 at the latest. Abusing your customers for short term gain is never a winning business plan.

I admit I'm hooked deeply enough on RTW to pay whatever for the expansion, but I'm disappointed at the lack of both pride in their work and business ethics the management of CA are displaying over this patch fiasco. To the management of CA: If you want to play in the big leagues, then be prepared to play professionally. If you want to be anything more than a "one hit wonder" remember the importance of doing your job right, and then standing by it to correct any errors on your part.
    "If you demand CA or any company absorb the cost of a future patch, the upfront price rises or you buy a subscription for continuous service. The latter is not available.
    " - killemall54
    "An expansion should be a free standing new feature product, not a bug fixing enticement." - Old Celt

Hasn't GilJaysmith already dropped a hint of another patch?

Quote Originally Posted by GilJaysmith
    Ah, the .org... "Bless 'em" as we so often say here.

You're entitled to huddle together and worry pointlessly about the future, that doesn't hurt anyone. But you could all do us a favour by limiting negative comments about the game and CA to, "Well, I don't like the sound of that, so I probably won't buy or play it." Anything stronger than that - especially as you haven't seen any game assets as yet - and you're asking for a voodoo slap which you won't forget in a hurry...

On the other hand, if you emanate enough positive vibes, who knows what might happen in the very near future?
    CA going console???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GilJaysmith
    "Ah, the .org... "Bless 'em" as we so often say here.

You're entitled to huddle together and worry pointlessly about the future, that doesn't hurt anyone. But you could all do us a favour by limiting negative comments about the game and CA to, "Well, I don't like the sound of that, so I probably won't buy or play it." Anything stronger than that - especially as you haven't seen any game assets as yet - and you're asking for a voodoo slap which you won't forget in a hurry...

On the other hand, if you emanate enough positive vibes, who knows what might happen in the very near future?"

Talk about your pompous arrogance! Gee, I'm sorry if people complaining about serious bugs in the game (and providing research to back it up) offends you, CA. We haven't seen any game assets yet??? What do you call RTW release 1.0? How about release 1.1?? Ahh, release 1.2?? Please tell me that quote was taken out of context to something other than a discussion of patching serious flaws which have been proven to exist, and that any QA simpleton could have discovered in a single day of testing!!

They are the ones asking for serious bad karma if they think they can offend and alienate their customers. It seems to me that CA doesn't know the first thing about public relations or how to be thick skinned about criticism. All I would ask is that they fix serious issues in a patch right away, and do serious testing to validate that they work and haven't broken something else. If that's too much for their current staff, I can provide an e-mail address and they can contract me to teach them how to do proper QA.

I took CA's side in the beginning of the patching process, wanting to believe they intended to do the right thing. Two official patches later, most of the people I was arguing with have deserted the game, and probably won't spend another penny on CA software. They might be able to bs your average consumer, but I write code for a living, and know the customer is entitled to better.

And this: "On the other hand, if you emanate enough positive vibes, who knows what might happen in the very near future? "

Hey, I gave $50 worth of positive vibes, and thousands of words in defense of CA's software developer business ethics. My reward has been patches with kindergarten mistakes, and the statement above which amounts to CA telling me that they might help if I get on my knees and kiss their ass enough. That's some nerve, GilJaySmith!!

Now that SEGA owns them, perhaps they can rein in at least the outward display of arrogance some CA staff members seem to be prone to. They might try to stop the Nazi style censorship going on at other websites as well. At least SEGA has enough experience and staff to know better than to treat customers the way CA has over legitimate business issues.
    "If you demand CA or any company absorb the cost of a future patch, the upfront price rises or you buy a subscription for continuous service. The latter is not available.
    " - killemall54
    "An expansion should be a free standing new feature product, not a bug fixing enticement." - Old Celt

I do understand that it cant be 100% bug free first time, and agree that any bugs that have a major effect on game should in time be solved by CA.. I was just refferring to the fact that i see people searching and bitching about bugs you can hardly notice and that really do not effect the game play, just that buyers obession with 100% perfection . As far as the console game goes, i think its a good idea and will perhaps introduce RTW to many new people, i do not like the whole Fantasy part of it, i think that seems rather lame. I would rather see them try to produce games that are more historically accurate and that provide an entertainment and learning experince, rather then Zelda Total war or whatever the hell this game will be about. I think they mentioned dragons? i may offend people but the whole Fantasy thing just seems like something i picture 9 year olds playing because they dont have the patience nor the respect of history to deal with the historical aspect of it. Too bad Decisive Battles is off the air, that was a great show and the reason why i bought RTW.

"On the other hand, if you emanate enough positive vibes, who knows what might happen in the very near future?"

Does that mean we have to polish his knob just to get our hopes up?

What arrogant bast...ard!!!
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Steve,

You are right: there are a few people who focus on minutia no one cares about. I don't think any developer should worry about those kinds of people. We have a rule where I work that says: 1 in 100 people is basically a nut job, so, unless complaints run higher than that, we will dismiss them without action at the project leader's discretion.

I'm talking about showstopper bugs like the save game/reload one which can destroy the value to the point of worthlessness for players who can't play long sessions. Serious bugs need attention too, like the HA problem. It's nice that modders have dealt with it, but CA, as the responsible party, should fix it, and do it quickly, WITH GOOD GRACES!!

If I buy a new car, and the key breaks off in the ignition on day one, the dealership doesn't ask me to call a locksmith. THEY take care of it, even if it isn't strictly covered by warranty, because: THAT'S HOW YOU DO BUSINESS. And conversely, if a firm earns my business, they also earn my loyalty for future purchases. RTW has issues which are serious enough to merit developer intervention, and I think the community has every right to complain about not getting it.
    " - killemall54

Nicely said Old Celt.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Seems to me like you people are the arrogant bastards here. Old Celt, i think that in the quote giljay is talking about spartan: total warrior and i agree with him, all you have seen are a few screens and a movie and everyone is already bitching about how console games suck and stuff like that. And Steve, maybe you don't like fantasy games, but some people do. No one is forcing you to buy it. Hell, if rome or medieval would've been 100% historically accurate, you wouldn't see much action. Just accept that some people are different than you.

And while we're on the subject, i want to congratulate CA with their new deal with Sega and wish them the best of luck with their console game.
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

Now Old Celt I would like for you to click the little link at the bottom of Quietus' post. There you will see the thread in which the post of Gil was made.

In said thread people went nuts... Only hours after the released news. How could people know anything at that time?!?!? There wasn't even any screenshots or movies at that time.

I think you owe the man an apology, and please settle down a bit. It is like you couldn't fathom that people here would actually rave their own heads off and that that was in fact what Gil was responding to. Please stop taking such things personal... At least that is how your posts came off to me.

I think Celt is referring to the many bugs in this game and CA's apparent abandonment of its further fixes.

You know, I understand the idea that developers should produce games free of bugs and patch any that are buggy no matter what... But seriously, unless you've not bought any games in the past couple years, do you actually expect that to happen?

You can compare it to a car that won't run, but the fact is that the standards the car industry holds itself to and the standards that the game industry holds itself to are very, very different beasts.

I'd say the last 5-10 games I bought, major releases from large companies all, were buggy and never got fixed, and we're talking crash bugs here.

So to me it's just par for the course.
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Why is this argument even here? How and where people post is their own individual matter. And in the end, we'll all pass the judgement with our wallets the next time around.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast