Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General WoT discussion

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default General WoT discussion

I realise now that we need a thread for this. Just some notes, if you have any text which contains spoilers (info from later books), post them like this:

Spoiler (highlight the next line to read)
    -:Put your text here:-

If you want to use this format, just quote my text to see how its done.

Default Re: General WoT discussion

Heres my question to you. The entire thing is a spoiler, so just highlight it:

Spoiler from the last book (highlight the next lines to read)
    -:At the end of the last book, theres a Domani general who plans to attack the Seanchan. If I remember correctly, one of the Shienarans mentions his name when listing great generals... His plan is basically this: Hes going to ride across the Almoth plain with some Taraboner Freedom fighters, and do as much damage to the Seanchan as he can (burn camps etc etc). Then hes going to ride back across the Almoth Plain with, hopefully, the Seanchan hot on his heels. He then leads them into a trap. Have I got it right so far? But how can he possibly hope to pull this off. As far as I can see, hes got no hope of getting back across the Almoth plain if he'll have Raken chasing him... Perhaps Rand will help him out?:-

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

or better still, use the spoil tags....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

this is done by putting your text between (SPOIL) and (/SPOIL). Replace the curved brackets with square ones!

Then those of us whe dont use the default theme (go the black theme!) wont be spoiled either!
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

It's a pleasure to bring here the inevitable newbie question.
    I've managed to read the first 3 books within 3 weeks and so far I must admit it's been a very pleasant reading.
    However, I've read too many reviews for my own safety. Many people seem to complain that the characters' behaviours (blushing every two seconds, smoothing dresses etc...) which are quite funny at the beginning are getting on the readers' nerves in the end. I've also heard of many chapters dedicated to practically useless characters, just for the purpose of ending Jordan's series at his twelfth book.

Now that I've bought 7 out the 10 books there's no going back, so you can reply in all honestly
    So, is the storyline fading away? Do the numerous unimportant characters make you lose the track?

Nah, I don't think so. In my opinion it only adds to the depth and background of the books. But of course, some patience is needed
    Wheel of Time mod forum
    Wheel of Time mod website
    Member of the Wheel of Time mod

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Agreed. I still quite like it.
    Myrddraal:
    Rodel Ituralde was the guy. I think that he was going to use those Taraboners to infiltrate the Seanchan. A few hear, a few there until their through out the army. This way, not only will their be a battle, but also other Taraboners inside the Seanchan army, who might be able to convince their fellow country men to help. But also, I think that his orders might be from Graendal. I know that his latest orders from the king were weird, and the king might really be dead. So we don't know who exactly his orders are from, but the excellent general he is, he still might pull it off.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

at some points he does over do it with unnecessary characters but on the other hand it does make the world seem fuller... it's always nice to know there are other figures out there besides the main characters. Although I do sometimes lose track of the minor characters and when they appear later its like... who is this?

Hey I never noticed those tags....

I remeber about his orders being confused, the spreading of Chaos. If I remember correctly, his last order was to do something about the Seanchan, and it came amongst many other confusing orders. I though he was leaping on that order because thats what he wanted to do...

I hadn't remembered about infiltrating the Seanchan army... So is he still going to try to get back across the Almoth Plain? Why have I got that fixed in my mind....
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 04-03-2005 at 09:31.

And as for the books going down in quality, you said it yourself, he wants to finish his books quite soon, so the next few will have to be quite dramatic, and he certainly will want to finish well. I personally think he won't finish at book 12... I think he'll extend it to Book 13.

I would not say that the quality of the books have gone down, they have however been given a more political perspective (which I happen to find just as intressting as heroes travelling in the wilds).

But I don't think he can close it up to book 13, he have said himself somewhere, don't remember where that he will need at least three books to just finish it. And I would acctually, belive it or not read ten (twenty in the swedish translation because they cut the books into two halfs) more.

But I am afraid that Jordan will die before he can finish the books in that case, and then I would be a bit angry. But I think that book 14, or maybe 15 is the earliest endings book. But I could be wrong of course.

Ok, I think I have to steer this up....

Those order came indeed form Graendal, she sent them with a man claiming to have got them from a Lady Tuva who had been murdered by grey men for those order. Conveniently enough, the Lady Tuva was known as the kings retainer... and murdered by Graendal. Probably the king and the Council are all dead or captured by her. but she has left the area now, IIRC, and thats why he has no new orders.

And I told you about the infiltrating when we discussed this, Myrrdraal:P

And I do not mind the more political latest books, I feel thing closing up for the great action.

And I agree, go black theme!
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

I am also new to this series, i bought and read the seven first book in the last 6 weeks. So far it is one of the most interesting read i had. The depth and the varieties of characters and plot is what hook me to the Wheel of Time ! Do i need to say i keep an interested eye on your mod ?

ps. i am honorary member of the Band of the Red Hand ! heheh Go Jack O Shadow go !

I think the Dragon Legion (not sure if this is the right English name) is cooler, and I would rather join them.

But anyway, welcome to the mod

Its Legion of the Dragon in English

Thanks

Um, some information from interviews with RJ. I guess it's pretty much open information now among diehard WoT fans (like me), but anyway. Book 11 is called Knife of Dreams, and RJ has explicitly stated that he will end WoT at Book 12, no further. So we can expect either some very thick books, or some very frenetic action in the next two books. Yeah.

Wash the spears--Life is a dream
    Wash the spears--All dreams must end.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Yes 12 books was the deal I had heard of. Personally I'm at the fifth and I'm truly hooked. I hope the end of the series will be as good as its beginning

You also seem to be a Martin's fan like me pezhetairoi, thus I suggest you visit Amok's website (Art) you will be flabbergasted by his work
    I use a wallpaper you may find interesting too.
    Last edited by Ldvs; 04-21-2005 at 08:49.

I think the only way in which he can resonably end the books by book 12 is thick books. Very thick books...

Yeah, I don't really see how that is possible...

well, we'll leave it to the maestro to wow us. Imagine that! Book 12, and it ends in an anticlimax after over 20 years of writing and waiting! Like, I dunno, Rand and Shaitan sign a peace treaty... >.< Let's make a wager how many thousands of people will be baying for his blood.

Mmm, sorry ldvs, wrong guess, I'm not a Martin fan, haven't yet read him :-) But ooooohwee artwork. Will read him as soon as I can take a break from studying philosophy of history. And... well, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed with regards to the quality of the writing after book 5. 6 and 7 are still okay, but book 8 is crap. Book 9 has redeeming qualities, and book 10 is...just a shadow. Book 11 better be good or travel to Charleston and lynch that old man myself.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

oh, and did I mention? Darrell K Sweet's artwork (the waste of paint that's on the cover of every old-style wheel of time novel) is crap too. Factually inaccurate, physically inaccurate, etc. Example: on tGH (Great Hunt) cover, Loial (at least, I hope that's Loial) is way too short, even when you take perspective into account. On EotW, Moiraine looks like her butt's been glued to the horse so she can sit crosslegged on it. And in CoS, Rand's dragon tattoos look terrible, like golden bracelets when they're supposed to be coiling up his forearm, and he looks like he's pelvic-thrusting. There you go. A shame they got such a terrible artist with no respect for the story to do the artwork.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Mmm, sorry ldvs, wrong guess, I'm not a Martin fan, haven't yet read him :-) But ooooohwee artwork. Will read him as soon as I can take a break from studying philosophy of history. And... well, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed with regards to the quality of the writing after book 5. 6 and 7 are still okay, but book 8 is crap. Book 9 has redeeming qualities, and book 10 is...just a shadow. Book 11 better be good or travel to Charleston and lynch that old man myself.
    I was deceived by your signature, it looked close to the quote from Martin's book. If you haven't read him yet, at least, I can swear you won't be disappointed. Very credible characters and such a suspense!! There are no super heroes. It's sometimes truly cruel but I think that's what makes it so addictive: you never know what will happen next.

As for Jordan's writing style, I've read many reviews so I did know what to expect after book 5 I'll see for myself.
    I agree with you, the artwork is only vaguely accurate. Considering I've seen Amoka's artwork first though, it's difficult to find someone that matches his skills

Don't listen to reviews, I like the rst too... they are ust a bit less action oriented. Never take inlfuence from reviews.

Yet, if not for the reviews, or your mod, I would never have bought the series so I guess one must sort the best reviews, written more objectively, and make one's choice

By Martin I'm assuming you mean ASOIAF. Great series. It's alot grittier and not so much a fairy tale like so many fantasy books have become. And i thought that sig was from ASOIAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Renly
    By Martin I'm assuming you mean ASOIAF. Great series. It's alot grittier and not so much a fairy tale like so many fantasy books have become. And i thought that sig was from ASOIAF.
    Yes by Martin I meant "A song of Ice and Fire" and your nick gives you away as a ASOIAF fan too.
    Watch out though, Myrddraal will skin us alive if he sees his topic is degenerating into a "General ASOIAF discussion".

Haha, I like WoT too. I heard a rumor that Jordan doesn't want to write a 12th book, so the next book is going to be 300 pages long where all the main characters die and the shadow wins.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I hate the artwork. Makes me so angry... and the paperback's covers always come off.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Never happened for me... and I like the new black paperbacks, they are nice:) But the old sucks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast