Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Age of Mankind: Total War

AoM: TW Director Member Lonely Soldier's Avatar
    Brisbane, Australia... but hopefully not for too long.

Default Re: The Age of Mankind: Total War

GaugamelaTC - The Western Europeans or Celtic and Germanic States are probably more suitable names .

I have put up a few new map pictures.
    Last edited by Lonely Soldier; 05-02-2005 at 02:34.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Historical Battles
    This post is organised by region. Many of these will not be applcicable for our mod (any involving combat between say France and England will be probably be impossible). Feel free to make suggestions:

Europe

The Somme (if we get that far )

Hastings (1066)

Las Navas de Tolosa (1212)

Agincourt (1415)

Bosworth Field (1485)

Crecy (1346)

Poitiers (1356)

Bannockburn (1314)

Chalons (451)

Roncevaux (778)

Stamford Bridge (1066)

Tours (732)

Ascalon (1099)

Nancy (1477)

Wakefield (1460)

Ad Decimum (533)

Akroinon (740)

Aljubarotta (1385)

Angora (1402)

Arbedo (1422)

Arsuf (1191)

The Middle East

West Asia
    Battle between Alexander and Porus - Hellas vs. India

East Asia
    Sekigahara - Japan 1 vs. Japan 2

North Eurasia
    Kursk - Western Europeans (German) vs. Eastern Eurpoeans (Russian)

North America
    Various Civil War Engagements (If possible)

South America

The Pacific
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Texture Artist Extrodinare Member richyg13's Avatar

Preview of Mayan Warriors (Swordsmen)

First look at the mayan warriors, this is a "new" model, basically edited from the existing carthaginian infantry model. This is my first EVER character ive got to work in a any game :P so it does look kinda boring :P

notice ive tried to get the sword to look a bit like that in the picture.

Whats the final word on the mayan's colour scheme?? because i'll change everything to fit that now and get them completly finished. I'll add archers to their army selection soon.
    2D & 3D Games Artist
    - http://richyg13.deviantart.com

Hey guys great work richyg and the new maps I expect will help you alot Lonely Soldier. I've managed to post some of those tools and weapons for canadian tribes. If you wanna put them with all the rest Lonely then that's up to you.
    A rich man can be happy, but a poor man can sleep at night- Mesapotamian proverb

I'm struggling to get a working campaign map at the moment. The outline of america is done so its a case of getting the regions etc. on and painting heights and terrain types onto it.
    Currently it wont load so im working out whats wrong with it.
    2D & 3D Games Artist

shot of the warriors in the requested turquise colour... personally i prefer the yellow so please have your say.
    2D & 3D Games Artist

richyg13 - I like those clubs - almost exactly right !

Colours: The faction colours listed are only for borders and banners (that teal is real ugly in game - my bad!). All the units will be coloured as they really were: black with white spots for Aztec Warrior priests etc. Do not worry about lowly units being simple colours; it befits their status within the society. All I'm saying is that the units are to be their historical colours. It won't matter if all of the low level units in the mod wear bland colours. The armies must look vibrant and exciting without being the colour of their faction - except banners of course.

Campaign Map: I too have been unable to get a Campaign map to load unfortunately.

I will put up a topographic/terrain map for the Americas when I get a chance.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

y'know if theres anything else involving research i'll do it, why? cos i am bored and have an extenxive book collection
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

I have some kinda sad news...

I'm gonna be a unable to do much work in the coming month or so cus im moving out of my parent's house to live with my friends and we're not gonna have internet there for a little while so the only time i can do work is when im here on saturday nights.

Hopefully we're gonna have the internet put in down there soon enough so i can continue my work, ill take my PC down there then.
    2D & 3D Games Artist

ian_of_smeg16 - Thanks! We still need more information on the North Americans, so anything you can find on them would be useful.

richyg13 - Hope the move goes well ! By the time you return to the thread there should be a lot more concepts up to be worked on.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Hey sounds like a great mod i can help with African tribes mainly Zulu I lived in South Africa for a year and have some Zulu friends that could help oh and about politics and religion i think it would make the game more playable if u could choose ur religion and politics and have the computer just fallow history for every 1 else like have an area where u change religion and politics it would probly add some time on construction of the mod but it would make the mod its slef better than RTW
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

pyradyn - Thanks for the offer of assistance! It would be most useful!
    With regard to politics and religion - you will be able to choose both. Monarchy will be available from the start but fascism and communism will only become available later (as history dictates). The AI will (if its possible) follow history, or (if it is not) they will do what is best under the circumstances. Also, choosing a new system of government may (we haven't decided for certain yet) only be possible if the average loyalty of your settlements drops below a certain level.

Religions will be chosen by building the appropriate worship structure, and different religions and denominations will become available at the accurate dates - and also in the appropriate regions, but this aspect will probably prove to be very difficult to implement!
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

About the unit skins, any clothes that start with such bright colours soon get dulled. Go over them in PS or PSP, make them a bit dustier or browner, and add some shadows to them, they will look 100 time better.

Myrddraal - If we choose to go with that colour we will definitely go along the path you suggest.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

hi,
    what american indian Faction(s) are you going to put in the mod. this'll help me greatly reaserching for them. cheers!

When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

Love the new skins! btw ian of smeg I think they prefer native americans.
    Have you made any decisions on that unit colour. I don't like the teal, its really is too bright.
    A rich man can be happy, but a poor man can sleep at night- Mesapotamian proverb

ok then Guagemala, what Native American factions will you be using? lol
    When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

ian_of_smeg16 - We will be using the Crow, Apache and Iroquois tribes.

GaugamelaTC - As I said: "Colours: The faction colours listed are only for borders and banners (that teal is real ugly in game - my bad!). All the units will be coloured as they really were: black with white spots for Aztec Warrior priests etc. Do not worry about lowly units being simple colours [browns and tans etc. as those basic Aztec warriors will be]; it befits their status within the society. All I'm saying is that the units are to be their historical colours. It won't matter if all of the low level units in the mod wear bland colours. The armies must look vibrant and exciting without being the colour of their faction - except banners of course."

General Announcement:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that this mod would be more succesful with the expansion - new features, more units etc. This is not to say that we should stop working on it before then as almost everything in the Expansion should be backwards compatible!

Also, Imperial Glory crashed and then restarted my computer .
    Last edited by Lonely Soldier; 05-18-2005 at 09:42.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've had a lot on recently. Please start posting your ideas for the mod people. This applies to anyone!
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Apache The Apache tribes had evidently drifted from the north during the prehistoric period, probably along the eastern flanks of the Rocky Mountains. When Coronado encountered them in 1540 under the name Querechos, they were in eastern New Mexico and western Texas, and they apparently did not reach Arizona until after the middle of the sixteenth century. They were first called Apache by Onate in 1598. After that time their history was one succession of raids upon the Spanish territories, and after the United States Government had supplanted that of Mexico in the Southwest, the wars with the Apache constituted some of the most sensational chapters in our military annals. Except for some Apache in Mexico and a few Lipans with the Tonkawa and Kiowa in Oklahoma, these people were finally gathered into reservations in New Mexico and Arizona.

CrowA Siouan tribe forming part of the Hidatsa group, their separation from the Hidatsa having taken place, as Matthews (1894) believed, within the last 200 years. Hayden, following their tradition, placed it about 1776. According to this story it was the result of a factional dispute between two chiefs who were desperate men and nearly equal in the number of their followers. They were then residing on Missouri river, and one of the two bands which afterward became the Crows withdrew and migrated to the vicinity of the Rocky mountains, through which region they continued to rove until gathered on reservations. Since their separation from the Hidatsa their history has been similar to that of most tribes of the plains, one of perpetual war with the surrounding tribes, their chief enemies being the Siksika and the Dakota. At the time of the Lewis and Clark expedition (1804) they dwelt chiefly on Bighorn river; Brown (1817) located them on the Yellowstone and the east side of the Rocky mountains; Drake (1834) on the south branch of the Yellowstone, in lat. 46º long. 105º. Hayden (1862) wrote: "The country usually inhabited by the Crows is in and near the Rocky mountains, along the sources of Powder, Wind, and Bighorn rivers, on the south side of the Yellowstone, as far as Laramie fork on the Platte river. They are also often found on the west and north side of that river, as far as the source of the Musselshell and as low down as the mouth of the Yellowstone."
    According to Maximilian (1843) the tipis of the Crows were exactly like those of the Sioux, set up without any regular order, and on the poles, instead of scalps were small pieces of colored cloth, chiefly red, floating like streamers in the wind. The camp he visited swarmed with wolf like dogs. They were a wandering tribe of hunters, making no plantations except a few small patches of tobacco. They lived at that time in some 400 tents and are said to have possessed between 9,000 and 10,000 horses. Maximilian considered them the proudest of Indians, despising the whites; "they do not, however, kill them, but often plunder them." In stature and dress they corresponded with the Hidatsa, and were proud of their long hair. The women have been described as skilful in various kinds of work, and their shirts and dresses of bighorn leather, as well as there buffalo robes, embroidered and ornamented with dyed porcupine quills, as particularly handsome. The men made their weapons very well and with much taste, especially their large bows, covered with horn of the elk or bighorn and often with rattlesnake skin. The Crows have been described as extremely superstitious, very dissolute, and much given to unnatural practices; they are skilful horsemen, throwing themselves on one side in their attacks, as is done by many Asiatic tribes. Their dead were usually placed on stages elevated on poles in the prairie.
    The population was estimated by Lewis and Clark (1804) at 350 lodges and 3,500 individuals; in 1829 and 1834, at 4,500; Maximilian (1843) counted 400 tipis; Hayden (1862) said there were formerly about 800 lodges or families, in 1862 reduced to 460 lodges. Their number in 1890 was 2,287; in 1904, 1,826.

The Crows have been officially classified as Mountain Crows and River Crows, the former so called because of their custom of hunting and roaming near the mountains away from Missouri river, the latter from the fact that they left the mountain section about 1859 and occupied the country along the river. There was no ethnic, linguistic, or other difference between them. The Mountain Crows numbered 2,700 in 1871 and the River Crows 1,400

the sioux history will come in a minute

When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

well, i made a mistake in the other post. This is the history of the IROQUOIS tribe.

The original homeland of the Iroquois was in upstate New York between the Adirondack Mountains and Niagara Falls. Through conquest and migration, they gained control of most of the northeastern United States and eastern Canada. At its maximum in 1680, their empire extended west from the north shore of Chesapeake Bay through Kentucky to the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers; then north following the Illinois River to the south end of Lake Michigan; east across all of lower Michigan, southern Ontario and adjacent parts of southwestern Quebec; and finally south through northern New England west of the Connecticut River through the Hudson and upper Delaware Valleys across Pennsylvania back to the Chesapeake. With two exceptions - the Mingo occupation of the upper Ohio Valley and the Caughnawaga migration to the upper St. Lawrence - the Iroquois did not, for the most part, physically occupy this vast area but remained in their upstate New York villages.

During the hundred years preceding the American Revolution, wars with French-allied Algonquin and British colonial settlement forced them back within their original boundaries once again. Their decision to side with the British during the Revolutionary War was a disaster for the Iroquois. The American invasion of their homeland in 1779 drove many of the Iroquois into southern Ontario where they have remained. With large Iroquois communities already located along the upper St. Lawrence in Quebec at the time, roughly half of the Iroquois population has since lived in Canada. This includes most of the Mohawk along with representative groups from the other tribes. Although most Iroquois reserves are in southern Ontario and Quebec, one small group (Michel's band) settled in Alberta during the 1800s as part of the fur trade.

In the United States, much of the Iroquois homeland was surrendered to New York land speculators in a series of treaties following the Revolutionary War. Despite this, most Seneca, Tuscarora, and Onondaga avoided removal during the 1830s and have remained in New York. There are also sizeable groups of Mohawk, Oneida, Cayuga, and Caughnawaga still in the state. Most of the Oneida, however, relocated in 1838 to a reservation near Green Bay, Wisconsin. The Cayuga sold their New York lands in 1807 and moved west to join the Mingo relatives (Seneca of Sandusky) in Ohio. In 1831 this combined group ceded their Ohio reserve to the United States and relocated to the Indian Territory. A few New York Seneca moved to Kansas at this time but, after the Civil War, joined the others in northeast Oklahoma to become the modern Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma.

i've got some names of villages somewhere
    When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

ian_of_smeg16 - this is brilliant information ! Really useful and in-depth stuff! The names of those towns will be really useful too!
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

sorry had to f-disk my pc losing all my files so i lost the village names, it may be some time till i get more info on Native American Villages.
    if theres anything else in the meantime, involving research (or basic text editing) i will be happy to help

When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

ian_of_smeg16 - Crap about your PC! I'll do a bit more hunting round myself . I'll put up some new unit ideas in a little bit as well.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Soldier
    ian_of_smeg16 - Crap about your PC! I'll do a bit more hunting round myself . I'll put up some new unit ideas in a little bit as well.
    if you want me to reaserch different tactics of Native American
    warriors, or the warriors themselves that'll be fine. If theres any other reaserch you want me to do i'll do it
    When I was a child
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.

ian_of_smeg16 - every little bit helps !
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Hello everybody. I'm back. I haven't been on for a while coz of revision on my break and stuff. But im back for a bit and are there any areas you would like me to research?

GaugamelaTC - Nice to hear from you Gaug! We could do with some more details on what kinds of warrior the North Americans had. From this information we can start to introduce technological eras to that basic style to make our units for later ages.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

I think that we should initially focus on having the whole world in play and implement the technological eras later... What does everyone else think?

PS - I found a useful site for civilisation comparison: http://www.bruichladdich.com/timeline.htm
    Last edited by Lonely Soldier; 06-18-2005 at 08:44.
    THE AGE OF MANKIND
    - Deceased

Great!!!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast