Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Age of Vikings and Fanatics: Total war

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

Default Re: Age of Vikings and Fanatics: Total war

check out factions thread for the feeling of new names.

Looks good..

Normannaland rocs

Now we need to find native names for all factions. Byzantine = Roma? And a latin name for Papal states?

Age of vikings and fanatics: Total War

yeah normannaland rules. we need to find for all factions now, even though I think they can be englishfied if not specific names (ie empire, states etc)

Well I beleive we should have Roman Empire, or maybe Constantinople instead of Byzantium.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

We could have
    "Heiliges Römisches Reich" for germanny and "Imperium Romanorum" for byzantine empire (means Roman Empire) is some suggestions...

novgorod for rus?

papal I don't know... latin translation maybe, or "Roman Catholic Church", or maybe better just "papal states"

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

The Papal States is good.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

- Normandie

- From Wikipedia: "The term Principality of Wales, in Welsh, Tywysogaeth Cymru, is often used," - Cymru? Wales sounds good too..

well that's all I think

btw I think "Heiliges Römisches Reich" kicks ass too, grim and german
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-20-2005 at 11:47.

For the byzantines, i guess ill just pm romanus and that other greek guy balleling out on Byzantine history all over the RTR forum...

They seem to know every tiny bit. I'm not really sure, but i think by the time, thay spoke greek in Constantinople.

I'll be back

-Skel-

The Byzantines did speak Greek. And they refered to themselves as rhomaioi or Romans, and their empire as the Eastern Roman Empire.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Thats the thing, i don't think they called it "the east roman empire" if they spoke greek Guess you see my point..

-Skel-

I would guess that they called themselves Romanoi.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Here is what i got from Romanus:

So how the eastern world refered to the empire....
    First of all the official language was Greek from the very beggining of the middle era(6th-7th century) and predominant before, with the death of Justinian IMO the last Roman remnants of the empire died too. So no imperium romanorum, it is wrong, its how the westerners refered to the empire in the early middle era (in 9th, 10th and 11th century, which is the late middle era the west refered to the empire as imperium graecum).
    The easterners like the arabs, called the empire either Greek(common) or Roman and most of the times kingdom not empire. Others like the Russians didnt really have a term for the empire this era, they recognised it as greek though, as shows the road "From Rus to Greeks".
    And...

I could give you many more references (i will, if you ask) but i think these are enough to make my point.
    The official language was Greek as i said and proved, the subjects of the Empire(mostly Greeks) during this period of Imperial expansionism and progress, considered the empire Roman, so if you want to go for native names you need Roman Empire in Greek.
    The Greek term is Ρωμαική Αυτοκρατορία(ie Roman Empire) since i doubt that you will use greek characters, i actually doubt even this is represented in sth else than numbers, you are left with one choice, greeklish.
    Empire in greeklish is Autokratoria which i thing sounds accurate enough(its not possible to be pronounced completely correct).
    Roman in greeklish is, in this occasion, Rwmaikh, which doesnt sound good, Romaiki or Romike would sound more accurate, perhaps Romaiki is the best combination of sounding and closeness to the original.
    So i suggest "Romaiki Autokratoria" (unless its possible to use greek characters of course)
    I think "Romaiki Autokratoria" sounds very good , and gives a bit more Greek feeling to them. And Autokratoria sounds so mutch bether then empire..

-Skel-

I agree, check out factions thread

Romaiki Autokratoria is a good name, as I accociate long names with large empires for some reason. The faction descriptions start to become a little outdated (change of names, or keep them?)
    Last edited by ScionTheWorm; 07-21-2005 at 08:08. Reason: that looked like I tried to rhyme

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    No, Leg and some others had a discussion about the start date, AD 880 was far more plausible, read the first and second pages.
    Actually, it was in the end decided to be in 843 AD, but there was a discussion about something around 880 for a while.

To all: I think the new local, historical names are much better than the English names we've been using so far and I totally support the new names.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Crap, that means no Danelw, and no Kingdom of the Englisc.

Sig by Durango

-Oscar Wilde

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112