Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Takeda Campaign

Default Re: Takeda Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    Yep, I do this too, particularly with the Takeda during the first few years of a campaign, before I have amassed a large nuymber of troops.

Whatever works, I just thought I'd share this (relatively well known) tactic as someone further up the thread was asking about how to successfully approach a bridge battle.
    Armies of 16 archers are deadly in bridge assaults...you'll have enough arrows to kill the entire enemy army. For small scale battles all cav works really well. Those are my personal preferences anyway.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

How do you target the defending archers with an attacking army of all archers? Usually the AI archers stay out of range, even if you move to the edge of the river. Do you bait with archers instead of yari sams?

I use the yari sams because they're cheaper, 200 koku vs. 300 for an archer, and because they have better armor, so they attrition a bit slower when under fire. Their base morale is better too if I remember correctly. In a campaign I have to be koku-conscious until I get my economy roaring, and even then, I tend to be frugal.

After playing MP for a while I developed better cav skills, and then I really enjoyed taking all cav to smaller bridge battles. I'd string out a unit in a long line, run them over the bridge, and then turn to one side immediately and run out of range. Usually a unit or two of infantry would pursue them, and then I'd repeat the process with another cav unit, except I'd run them to the opposite flank once they crossed the bridge. Once all my cav were on the defender's side of the bridge, I'd surround and skirmish with cav archers, bait, flank, and do hit and runs until the enemy fled. Then I'd mow them down.

If the defending enemy has cav, then things are a bit more complicated.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

How do you target the defending archers with an attacking army of all archers? Usually the AI archers stay out of range, even if you move to the edge of the river. Do you bait with archers instead of yari sams?
    Yeah you send a unit of archers across...the units sent at it will be annihilated very quickly, after a few have routed the rest are more likely to.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Talking Re: Takeda Campaign

After playing MP for a while I developed better cav skills, and then I really enjoyed taking all cav to smaller bridge battles. I'd string out a unit in a long line, run them over the bridge, and then turn to one side immediately and run out of range. Usually a unit or two of infantry would pursue them, and then I'd repeat the process with another cav unit, except I'd run them to the opposite flank once they crossed the bridge. Once all my cav were on the defender's side of the bridge, I'd surround and skirmish with cav archers, bait, flank, and do hit and runs until the enemy fled. Then I'd mow them down.

If the defending enemy has cav, then things are a bit more complicated.
    Almost this tactik I have used before, I think. I remember crossing the bridge with my daimyo and quickly running to a side. Then mostly AI lost his concentration on the bridge and I won quite much easier then to just send infantry. I don't use this (or only rarely) anymore... probably because I got my daimyo killed once
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

It's been a while... but my savegame is still there! Continuing today!

Summer 1546
    222 Koku
    -------------

The Yari Samurai Training place was finished in Shinano. Hopefully I can afford a Horse-riding Dojo soon, and start making some strong cavalry.

The famous Dojo for Yari training in Aki is finished.

The loyalty in my lands, even in Musashi and Sagami, is good. I hope to conquer another eastern region by the next spring or summer. But I've not yet decided where to strike this time. Uesugi Castle in Musashi is surrouded and is losing men.

Bad news - The Uesugi Daimyo has another mature heir, and I'm afraid that it's Kenshin. His skills as a Taisho are as good as Shingen's, and can make things more complicated in the war against the Uesugi.

In aki, 60 Yari Samurai are trained, in the new Dojo.

Herfst 1546
    22 Koku :(
    -----------

The number of stars on the flag of a Uesugi general indicated that our fears became true. Kenshin is now under control of an Uesugi army.

Good thinking needs to be done before we can decide which region to attack next... Which will be of economic importance, which will be of strategic importace, which can we take and which can't we take, what is diplomatic correct?

Most likely Shingen will attack Shimosa or Kozuke. Just wait one more season.

A portugese ship was spotted in the Oda harbour in Owari. Soon they will pass by Totomi, Sagami and Musashi, and we'll have to make a choice.

Winter 1547
    2416 Koku :D
    -------------

We are happy to see the famous Swordsmith in Kai finished, and orders are given to build a legendary Yumi Dojo.

While we had a normal harvest, still we gained quite some Koku this year, and things look good with such economy by the side of this clan.

In Shinano, the Cavalry Dojo is started... Finally!

Some military action this turn:

60 Yumi Samurai trained in Aki.
    120 Samurai are shipped from Aki to Musashi.
    60 No-Dachi Samurai trained in Kai.
    60 Yari Samurai trained in Shinano.

Takeda Shingen launches an attack on Kozuke:

520 Attacking Samurai, led by the 6-star general.
    of which, 180 Yumi Samurai, 240 Yari Samurai.
    60 Yari Cavalry, and 60 Warrior Monks.

Spring 1547
    816 Koku :s
    ------------

Suddenly, in the west, Rebels attacked Aki. But appearantly that extra 60 Yumi Samurai scared them away. They gave up.

In the east, Uesugi gave up as well, but I don't like that. It's easier to defeat Uesugi's army in Kozuke then to defeat it in Shimosa. One positive thing is that my Koku increased to 1666. :D Now let's get spending it.

The fields in Sagami have been improved. Now the 60% upgrade in Musashi is started.

In Aki, 120 Samurai are trained in the arts of firing a bow.
    In Kai, 60 Yari Cavalrists are trained.

The Castle in Musashi has been conquered permanently now. But now a small Uesugi army is surrounded in the castle in Kozuke.

We hope that Kenshin attacks Kozuke from Mutsu, so we can eliminate him in a defence.

On the diplomatic side, things still look back. The four allied clans; Uesugi, Oda, Shimazu and Imagawa are at war with Takeda, or at least have hostile plans towards us.

Luckily, only the Oda and the Shimazu form a real threat. The Uesugi have only Mutsu and Shimosa left and should be defeated soon.

Summer 1547
    541 Koku
    -----------

In Kai, the legendary Yumi Dojo is finished. Unfortunately, I have to wait until autumn so I can build a new Dojo. But I do train 60 Yari Samurai, which will be used for attacking another Uesugi region.

Some good news, Oda is constantly at war with Rebels and Ronin and seem to become weaker by the day. I don't have to send more troops to Mikawa and Shinano, but I can concentrate on destroying the Uesugi.

I am not yet sure, but I'm considering attacking Shimosa. Uesugi Tomooki is holding that region, and it has a castle with a few Dojo's. Attacking will deliver me some Koku right away, but also on long-term.
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-21-2005 at 14:57.

Autumn 1547
    41 Koku :(
    -----------

The Cavalry Dojo is finished in Shinano. Hopefully I can get enough Koku to use it soon.

This season the R&R launched a big attack on the Oda Clan in Owari. But they did not manage to establish a victory on the bridge crossing. The Oda did loose a part of their army though, and it is good to see that they are kept busy, while we conquer the East.

I got the message that my Clan is the richest of entire Japan. :D When I manage to conquer rich regions like Mutsu, Hitachi, Shimosa, Dewa and Echigo as well, my economy will be so much stronger then that of the other Clans that we will most likely be able to deliver the next shogun's of Japan.

Takeda Shingen is attacking Shimosa! It will be a very tough battle, because it's a bridge crossing. But Shingen's army counts 660 men and Tomooki's only 594, and his is better-trained.

The taxes are set to 90%, because this attack makes it impossible to maintain large armies in Kozuke and Musashi.
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-21-2005 at 15:02.

Winter 1548
    2912 Koku :)
    ------------

**********The attack on the region of Musashi*********
    On the banks of the river in Shimosa two armies are preparing for battle. Uesugi Tomooki has brought his Yumi and Yari Samurai to defend the bridge against the legendary strategist Takeda Shingen. Shingen has brought 180 Samurai Archers, 240 Yari Samurai, 60 No-Dachi Samurai, 120 Yari Cavalry and
    60 Warrior Monks. The Uesugi's army is cut loose from the rest of their clan's armies and if they loose here they will all die, including the Daimyo. The Takeda army attacks on a Sunny day, and moves their archers to the river bank next to both sides of the bridge. The first men to cross the bridge are two groups of Yari Samurai. They lay under heavy fire of Uesugi arrows, and their army does not prevent them from loosing many men. When they reach the other side of the river Uesugi infantry quickly moves in and the melee battle starts. Right then, Shingen sends in the rest of the Yari
    Samurai. From both sides of the river arrows are shot at the fighting men at the bridge, and soon there are only very few men fighting left. On both sides a few men flee away and both parties send in the last infantry they have. Tomooki only has some archers left behind, and Shingen is only accompanied by the Yari Cavalry. Together with them, he crossed the bridge
    as the last infantry breaks and flees. Their spears give them advantage against the enemy Yumi Samurai and their Daimyo's Hamamoto, and the battle is soon ends. The remained Uesugi Samurai are chased down, or manage to flee
    to their castle.

Victory! :) Killed 344, Lost 354. :(

With this victory the Clan's Koku is increased to 3362. :D

Low loyalty in Shimosa makes it necessesary to drop taxes to 75%. Also, troops are moved from Shinano to Musashi, and from Musashi to Shimosa.

Tomooki has been killed in the battle, so Kenshin takes over control of the clan. He only controls the region of Mutsu, and Uesugi armies in Kozuke and Shimosa castle's are surrounden by us.

In Kai a the construction of a Golden Palace is started, and 60 Yumi Samurai are trained.

In Sagami the 60% field upgrade is started.

In Shinano a Palace is built and 60 Yari Cavalry are trained.

The Portuese landed in Izu, but I immediately rejected their offer.
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-21-2005 at 15:03.

Spring 1548
    737 Koku
    -----------

The Japanese emperor claims to be supporting the Oda Clan, after they conquered Yamamoto. Nobutora suspects the Ashigaru dogs to just threaten to kill him if he didn't support them. But it will not help, we will keep at war with the Oda.

The Oda became Christian. We hope that they keep it to themselves, and even better, that the Buddist people will revolt there and conquer their lands.

In Shinano 60 (High-Honour) Yari Cavalrists are trained, and in Kai 60 Yumi Samurai.

The loyalty is getting better again, due to quick action against it. :)
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-21-2005 at 15:03.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345