Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE day!

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Default VE day!

Hooray! It's VE Day!
    Let us all celebrate the end of the war in Europe 60 years on!
    Drinks are on me! ...except after 11, then they're on JAG

Also, if anyone has any interesting accounts of the war, or the end of the war, whether it involves your parents or grandparents or whatever, share them here!
    Last edited by TheSilverKnight; 05-08-2005 at 15:07.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Default Re: VE day!

remember the fallen who made this day possible

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Cheers to the end of war and the end of the darkest chapter in our history

A big thanks for our generous neighbours and the last 60 years of peace
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 05-08-2005 at 15:09.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

The Nazis were LOSERS! Screw Hitler, Hess, Himler, and every SS scumbag skinhead who ever walked (and still walks) the Earth.

We won!

And if need be, we'll win again!

Last edited by Beirut; 05-08-2005 at 15:12.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    Cheers to the end of war and to 60 years of peace between our nations
    long may it continue

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    We already win...we always do

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight
    Here here, mate!
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Happy VE day people, let us remember how aweful WW2 was and how great the people who ended it were.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I have a couple of stories for you. I had a great-uncle , a grandad and an uncle in the war. My uncle is still alive though quite old now.

My great uncle Ted died 6 years ago, in the months before he died, I got into the habit of popping in to see him when I was buying from my suppliers in the city where he lived. Anyway he started telling me of his experiences in France in May 1940. He was in the BEF that was running pall mall for the coast, with the Wehrmacht in hot pursuit. During an air raid by Stukas he ran for cover and just as the planes were overhead he dived for cover under a train waiting in the sidings. The raid over he clambered out from his hideaway and dusting himself down looked around. He was slightly alarmed to see that the train he'd hidden under was full of ordnance. Thousands of anti-aircraft shells and other general munitions. He laughed when he was telling me, but admitted that at the time he ran as fast as he could to get away from that place.

When he arrived back in blighty he was dis-embarking from the ship that had rescued him, when he bumped into his brother (my grandad) on the dockside...now what were the odds against that one?

After being re-fitted they sent him off to the middle-east...and after the African campaign he was stationed in Mesopotamia (Iraq).

My grandad ended up invalidid out of the Army and so joined the RAF and worked on the barrage balloons for the rest of the war.

My uncle had the misfortune to be one of the British troops to enter Belsen. He never talks about it, in fact I only found out about it when my dad told me 2 years ago.

I am full of respect for all the people, men women, servicemen and civilians who did so much for freedom and democracy.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

My great uncle was with a Commando unit and they went in the night before D-Day to help clear the mines and artillery. He was also one of the first to enter the German concentration camps and sadly he never re-covered from what he saw, he died a few years ago.

Here's to all of them who fell and faught so that we may live in freedom

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight
    Here's to all of them who fell and faught so that we may live in freedom
    And make foults galore in our speling and grammor, eh?

Seriously, I toast to that!

I've watched a couple of veterans parades in The Netherlands, particularly the Canadian ones always seem to have a lot of atmosphere and mutual warmth between the veterans and the Dutch public. Took my kids to a documentary about the liberation of my hometown, again by Canadians - these fellows must have been all over the place at the time. The commemoration at the U.S. Margraven war cemetery wasn't bad either, even though my PM had another bad hair day. The speeches were rather good.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    And make foults galore in our speling and grammor, eh?

Seriously, I toast to that!

bugger off

Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die Member Axeknight's Avatar

VE day? Small cups of warmish, slightly weak tea with powdered milk and no sugar all round! Please share the digestives - there is a war on, you know!

On a more serious note, my most heartfelt thanks to those who fought and died for the freedoms we still enjoy today. Let us never allow ourselves to take their sacrifices for granted.

My grandfather drove a tank for the American Army in WWI in France and whooped the Kaiser!

My father was a tank commander with the Canadian Army in WWII in Italy and whooped Hitler!

I'm sitting here playing with my computer, eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream, enjoying the freedom they bought me.

Thanks guys!

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Tha't hillarious Beirut.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

There have never before been 60 years of peace in Western Europe. Thanks to all who made that possible and that includes those who fought on the right side.

May we all have the compassion to long for peace, the strength to fight for freedom and justice and the wisdom to know when it is right to fight.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.Saturnus

May we all have the compassion to long for peace, the strength to fight for freedom and justice and the wisdom to know when it is right to fight.
    Amen, Brother.

My color-blind Dad built tanks in Detroit. His (Canadian) brother fought in Holland & Germany. Neither talked much about it. Not for lack of us kids pestering them.

Thanks to them, and all others who sacrificed, often in a silent sense of duty owed to mankind.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    My color-blind Dad built tanks in Detroit. His (Canadian) brother fought in Holland & Germany.
    Did your uncle ever go back? Many vets do in order to join parades, commemorations and festivities, and they get a heroes' welcome every time. They are driven around town in their original vehicles that have been maintained in an impeccable state by Dutch enthusiasts ever since 1945.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I'm certain he would have appreciated that. Sadly, he died young (50) when his liver blew up (alcoholism). He never got the knack for civilian life after his army days.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

My grand father was a messenger/runner for the Partisans (he was too young for a rifle). My grand uncle fought and died in Stalingrad (he threw himself under a tank with a grenade). My grandmother fought with the Partisans (said she was a good shooter )
    I am the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    I'm certain he would have appreciated that. Sadly, he died young (50) when his liver blew up (alcoholism). He never got the knack for civilian life after his army days.
    Did you get any trigger time in the big red one there Kukhri?
    Last edited by Byzantine Prince; 05-09-2005 at 00:48.

This isnt a happy day in my house. Along with another lost war, much of my family was killed. My father is a bit biased and is still bitter as he believes the war against bolshevism was justified.

In any event, its a good thing Hitler was taken down but its hard to jump with joy..

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

The Nazis were LOSERS!
    Let us not forget they werent the only losers. So was most of Eastern Europe who didnt really win their freedom but were instead enslaved. Do any of you know who coined the prhase the Iron Curtain as is applies to Russia? and said it will decend across eastern europe and oppress the people there?
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Let us not forget they werent the only losers. So was most of Eastern Europe who didnt really win their freedom but were instead enslaved. Do any of you know who coined the prhase the Iron Curtain as is applies to Russia? and said it will decend across eastern europe and oppress the people there?
    Winston Churchill after WWII

Let us not forget they werent the only losers. So was most of Eastern Europe who didnt really win their freedom but were instead enslaved.
    Absolutely. No argument there.

But my refering to Nazis as losers was not simply based on the fact that they lost, but that their entire mentality was that of the loser. Xenephobia based on racist dogma. Supremacy based on instilling fear. Fear of freedom lest a single voice speak a truth that could lead to the entire movement crumbling to dust. Sure Nazis were tough. But I know a lot of tough losers.

They were losers morally and intellectually. And so is anyone who ascribes to their viewpoints or celebrates their symbolism based on the false idea that it's cool, tough, and counter-culture.

Last edited by Beirut; 05-09-2005 at 02:40.

Yeah, equality and opportunity for a good living is evil.

For the other side of the fence I direct you to JAG's sig. There's my answer to your "capitalism=good" crap.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Yeah, equality and opportunity for a good living is evil.

For the other side of the fence I direct you to JAG's sig. There's my answer to your "capitalism=good" crap.
    LOL - no concept of what Gaiwan is speaking about. I guess you never read about what happen to Hungary and the Czech when they tried to rebel against the iron boot of the USSR.

http://nhs.needham.k12.ma.us/cur/Bak...ody_revolt.htm

http://www.onlineessays.com/essays/history/his066.php
    Last edited by Redleg; 05-09-2005 at 03:15.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Happy VE day - for all those in Europe -

A bad period in your European History - may Europe always remember horrors of that war and never allow history to repeat itself.

Had a great uncle who was a tank platoon leader in the 2nd Armored Division - and my grandfather was a Forward Observer for the 45th Division.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

My wife's Granfather is burried over in Belgium, my great uncle Lamar fought over there (he passed away back in 02 while I was in Korea). What an incredible generation of people. I honor my European brothers for all the loss and struggle they endured. God bless you all. I salute my Canadian brothers for there many, many losses in their fight to help Europe throw off the yoke of a fascist prick. I salute my Australian brothers for their fight against the Axis. I salute the Russian People for the tremendous sacrifices they took in order to push the Eastern front all the way to Berlin. And I thank the Brittish people for their resolute and complete commitment to free Europe from the evils of the racist and criminally insane Nazis.

PS, sorry for the tardiness of my post, the new little girl is working us to death!!!

God bless you all.

...But on a more important note, there are the two "H"s when it comes to safety when having sex with goats. Always remember "Hoof and Horns". These will get you every time. A well lubed goat is wonderful, but if you don't protect yourself from the hoof and the horns, disaster could and will strike. The worst injury I've ever recieved from animal sex was from a Billy that didn't like me being his Bubba...
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 07-02-2008 at 02:40. Reason: For the hell of it and to experiment and because I'm a douche
    RIP Tosa

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Winston Churchill after WWII
    Not even close.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave

PS, sorry for the tardiness of my post, the new little girl is working us to death!!!

God bless you all.
    That's alright mate
    Congrats on the new baby girl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast