Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Don't tell me no lies, and keep your hands to yourself"

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default "Don't tell me no lies, and keep your hands to yourself"

No, this isn't a thread about those one-hit wonders, the Georgia Satellites. Apparently, hugging has been banned.

Hands OFF!

While I don't agree with the policy, I do understand it with all the sexual harrassment lawsuits being filed in middle & high school (no kidding). I do find the mother's hysteria about the fundamental right to hug being stripped away a little comical. She clearly never attended Catholic school, where that wasn't a detention, that was a ruler to the back of the head & 3 rosaries (speaking from experience).
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: "Don't tell me no lies, and keep your hands to yourself"

Why can't young couples hug? Who makes up this stuff?

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: "Don't tell me no lies, and keep your hands to yourself"

bombing a country back to the stone age - ok
    a 14 year old hugging her boyfriend -wrong

i´m gonna sit down somewere quiet and try to figure this one out....
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

..... that has to be the most stupid rule I have ever heard of.

well, I presume this isnt something common in the US, right?
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Were it common, do you think it would be a news item on DrudgeReport or MyWayNews?

Again, I believe it's got more to do with the school not wanting some girl's father suing them for not preventing sexual harassment then it does with a return to puritanical sexual ethics. A 6 year old boy got expelled from school and labelled a 'sex offender' for kissing a girl on the cheek in his class (in Texas, I believe).

No tolerane=no intelligence policies are all the rage in American schools right now. And before you all start whining about Republicans, it's the Democrats that overwhelmingly control the teachers' unions. And most teachers/administrators are Democrats. Sorry, you'll need to see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi about this one...

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Were it common, do you think it would be a news item on DrudgeReport or MyWayNews?

Again, I believe it's got more to do with the school not wanting some girl's father suing them for not preventing sexual harassment then it does with a return to puritanical sexual ethics. A 6 year old boy got expelled from school and labelled a 'sex offender' for kissing a girl on the cheek in his class (in Texas, I believe).

No tolerane=no intelligence policies are all the rage in American schools right now. And before you all start whining about Republicans, it's the Democrats that overwhelmingly control the teachers' unions. And most teachers/administrators are Democrats. Sorry, you'll need to see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi about this one...
    Don, man, calm down hehe, I have no intention of bash anyone... republican or democrat. (could be since im far to left to like either of them )

and well, I didnt expect it to be common, sounds to absurd. But, the whole "suing-issue" (wich seams to be common in the US) needs to be fixed.
    How come its so "easy" to get people suied?
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

[QUOTE=Don Corleone]
    /QUOTE]

But that is just sick, who thinks of sex when a 6 year old boy kisses a girl? Absolutely rediculous, this is creating a type of social control that is all about exploiting($$) others whenever the chance presents itselve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazul
    and well, I didnt expect it to be common, sounds to absurd. But, the whole "suing-issue" (wich seams to be common in the US) needs to be fixed.
    How come its so "easy" to get people suied?
    It's the Democrats that pass the sexual harrasment laws.

Ask Aurilean. He's a good Democrat, and a trial attorney. I'm sure he can make the ironclad case for all of this, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with their billable hours.

Strike for the South

good grief - well what do you expect?

the world needs more love

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I hope that that sort of thing never happens here. There is an awful lot of hugging that goes on here...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The problem is the US's over-litigiousness.

It's funny. I'd bet that the same people who complain about this would also complain if Bush tried to cap settlements about these things. I don't know for sure, but I have my suspicions.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

And to think what you characters get away with.

She was 19.

1) Why shouldn't be free to strip if she so desired?

but, more importantly...

2) Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 05-16-2005 at 23:31.

Strike for the South

I'm moving to Norway...

Education varies. In quebec it's not weird if you finish highschool when you're 20.
    Last edited by Byzantine Prince; 05-16-2005 at 23:40.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?
    I'm by no means sure, but perhaps High School takes longer in Norway? I mean, I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Holy crap BKS!!! You're done high school??!? What do you do now?

I'm doing my A-levels at a sixth form college. I'll be there till I'm seventeen, then it's off to uni (hopefully).
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-16-2005 at 23:47.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Don, I think you just have way to much lawyers.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Quite stupid. At least it isn't highschool , cause everyone would get in trouble well, all the good looking ones and the lucky bastards...
    Well, it will lessen the amount of scary ugly people groping in the halls...
    But this is really stupid. I mean a detintion? And it's not even like kissing or something, but hugging? Who thinks up of these stupid things?

I'm by no means sure, but perhaps High School takes longer in Norway? I mean, I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.
    Tutor me, please...

Wait... oh, college and universities aren't the same thing over there? I think that's the difference...
    Cause if you're out at 17, that's only a year less than when kids here graduate high school, and then can go to college (universities, same thing).

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

And to think what you characters get away with.

damn was expecting pictures..

I graduated from high school at 15-that's how it works in the UK. Education systems vary.

15!?! i thought it was 16 ? or were you born late in the school year ?

seems a bit crazy to me, is there more lawsuits in the US than other places ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Wait... oh, college and universities aren't the same thing over there? I think that's the difference...
    Cause if you're out at 17, that's only a year less than when kids here graduate high school, and then can go to college (universities, same thing).
    Yes, I believe that's how it works. I should also point out that most people finish their A-levels at 18-I'm the youngest in my year though, as my birthday is in the August after the exams. So, I'm an exception.

How long do you spend in college and university? A standard degree course here is three years, so a normal undergraduate will have their Bachelor's degree by 21.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-17-2005 at 00:22.

Well most of the times undergraduate is 4. But then people can get more fancy letters on their name, like PHD and stuff.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Kissing cousins ... Natalie Portman shaves her head ... no hugging in school ...

What does it all mean?! I'm sooooooo confused today. Er, I mean more than usual.
    This space intentionally left blank

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Tutor me, please...

Yes their HS is our JR HS and their college is our HS. University is the same in both I believe though we dont seperate colleges from universities here.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    She was 19.

1) Why shouldn't be free to strip if she so desired?

but, more importantly...

2) Why was she not only still in high school, but running for the assmebly presidency? "Uh, I stayed back 2 years in a row, but I think I'm a good role model and leader..." Uhm, how about if you work on getting your uneducated ass out of school before assuming leadership positions, sweetie?
    She did not run to become class president, she ran to become Russ-president. And that is a different matter entirely.

School starts at age 6, I think, it changed some years ago, from 7-6, (but could be from 6-5). Then you have compulsuary (sp?) for twelve years. seven years in basic school, three in junior high (youth school), then three in high school (advanced school/ videregående).

In the final year of school most are 18 or becoming 18 during the fall semester. If you are born early in the year you are 19 when you graduate.
    In the final year we have this tradition where the seniors are called Russ. This is a tradition to celebrate that 12 years of school has ended. Culminating on our Constitution day. What this celebration involve is generally alot of drinking and pushing of limits.

The position which this student ran for is basically partyking/queen number 1. (And dealing with the police and school authorities if the Russ does something wrong). It does not involve to much power and responsibility, and it is basically just having a laugh.

The Russe tradition is perhaps not something to be particullary proud of, but it sure as hell was a lot of fun.
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

seems a bit crazy to me, is there more lawsuits in the US than other places ?
    Yeah. We're sue happy. Like suing McDonalds to make them put "Caution, this is hot" on their cofee, or suing McDonalds because it made someone fat...

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Remember it's illegal here for a couple under 16 to do anything with each other. And any adults who let them should be arrested too.

Even the minister who put it through said it was rubbish and he didn't want it to actually be implemented, it was just to make imprisoning paedophiles easier or something. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I'm moving to Norway...

Education varies. In quebec it's not weird if you finish highschool when you're 20.
    Uhh...what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast