Thread: "Return of The Jedi" - Who is the Jedi

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Default "Return of The Jedi" - Who is the Jedi

I always thought "Return of the Jedi" - signified "Luke" becoming a Jedi. But, taken literally it actually means "Anakin" returning to a Jedi by Killing the "Emperor".

Am I right ?
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Default Re: "Return of The Jedi" - Who is the Jedi

I thought that it signaled the reture of the jedi Order to the galaxy.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Luke becomes the first of the new Jedi, where Leia will probable follow. Hence, the return of the Jedi is meant in the sense of the restoration of the Jedi Order. Of course, it is not carved in the stone, and you might interpret it any way you want, but I think this is the right way.

Btw, the original title of that sequel should have been “The Revenge of the Jedi”, but at the last moment Lucas pondered and realized that revenge is not very much Jedi-like notion, and renamed it to “return”.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

These titles are too shor Member TonkaToys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voigtkampf
    Btw, the original title of that sequel should have been “The Revenge of the Jedi”, but at the last moment Lucas pondered and realized that revenge is not very much Jedi-like notion, and renamed it to “return”.
    I'd heard that when the movie came out, but having now seen the title for the third movie, which Lucas had already planned way back then, I wonder if that was a red herring.

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

I think it is about both. THe Return of Anakin to the light is the end of the story Lucas Wrote.

He has been quoted himself as saying The 6 films are the Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader story, rather than about the hero's involved so it seems Logical that Return of the Jedi refers Anakin as well Luke being the first of the New Jedi Order.

Jedi would be the best of the Trilogy if it wasnt for those damn Ewoks...

(this gives me and idea for a pointless poll......)
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

i believe there is memorabilia for episode VI, like posters and t-shirts that have the original 'revenge of the jedi' printed on them, before lucas changed it to 'return' no need to say, they are extremely valuable.
    indeed

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

i believe there is memorabilia for episode VI, like posters and t-shirts that have the original 'revenge of the jedi' printed on them, before lucas changed it to 'return' no need to say, they are extremely valuable.
    Those were non-official ones I believe and were originally used to track down counterfeit Star Wars merchandise.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Wow neveer thought of it. I think it means Anakin coming back to the jedis as the starwars saga is based on the rise and fall of Anakin. And the rise in return of the jedi of course. anyone not understand?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

When you think about it, some of the stuff in Episode 4 no longer makes sense when you take into account stuff from Episode 1 and 2 - Sorry watched Episode 4 last night.

I mean, Anakin Skywalker gives the order for his mother's husband to be burned out of his home. Did Anakin not even feel a little nostalgic for being on the planet of his birth?
    And surely Owen Lars would know who Obi Wan Kenobi is.

I'll stop, I'm sure these have been gone over countless times in the past.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    When you think about it, some of the stuff in Episode 4 no longer makes sense when you take into account stuff from Episode 1 and 2 - Sorry watched Episode 4 last night.

I mean, Anakin Skywalker gives the order for his mother's husband to be burned out of his home. Did Anakin not even feel a little nostalgic for being on the planet of his birth?

I'll stop, I'm sure these have been gone over countless times in the past.
    The point has been made by better writers than Lucas. It follows that when a Jedi falls to the dark side after some time they would have no problem tourturing their own mother to death for kicks.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

He does, he lies to prevent Luke from finding out about his past. I think that's the implication, anyway.

Here's the link to the Owen Lars database entry at Starwars.com.

As for return of the Jedi, I'm fairly sure that it is mostly concerned with the return of the Jedi Order in Luke, especially given that the original title is 'Revenge of the Jedi'-I don't see how this could apply to Vader.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-17-2005 at 17:38.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I always thought it was Luke, and him not only being the last of the Jedi, but the first of the new, and him going on to spread the New Jedi Order.

No, no, Clegg (Shmi's husband) was dead. All that was left was her nephew (Uncle) Owen and his wife, (Aunt) Beru.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys
    I'd heard that when the movie came out, but having now seen the title for the third movie, which Lucas had already planned way back then, I wonder if that was a red herring.
    The working undercover title of the ROTJ was “Blue Harvest”, and Lucas has dropped the “revenge” for “return” solely because of the reason I stated above already.

Please, try not to connect the first three episodes with the older movies. Lucas had a slight idea, in rough sketches what should happen in the first three movies, only later on did he put in the actual scripts and titles together, and that was only several years ago. For me, even though I watched the first two and intend to watch the Revenge (I have the highest hopes for this one), these movies are a great disappointment made by a man who no longer possesses his original drive and inspiration which forces him to reach back on chewed-up running gags figures (Jar Jar, OMG!), standard mixture of landspeeder, saber fight, space fight combination (all three old movies strapped together in Phantom Menace) and a regular orgy of special effects which will be, btw, completely unimpressive several years down the line, while the old movies with hand-made models still possess incredible attraction.

Uh, sorry for the rent, just slipped out…

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

These titles are too shor Member TonkaToys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voigtkampf
    The working undercover title of the ROTJ was “Blue Harvest”, and Lucas has dropped the “revenge” for “return” solely because of the reason I stated above already.

Please, try not to connect the first three episodes with the older movies. Lucas had a slight idea, in rough sketches what should happen in the first three movies, only later on did he put in the actual scripts and titles together, and that was only several years ago. For me, even though I watched the first two and intend to watch the Revenge (I have the highest hopes for this one), these movies are a great disappointment made by a man who no longer possesses his original drive and inspiration which forces him to reach back on chewed-up running gags figures (Jar Jar, OMG!), standard mixture of landspeeder, saber fight, space fight combination (all three old movies strapped together in Phantom Menace) and a regular orgy of special effects which will be, btw, completely unimpressive several years down the line, while the old movies with hand-made models still possess incredible attraction.

Uh, sorry for the rent, just slipped out…
    No problem, anyone that remembers seeing the first movies (I saw Star Wars 11 times at the cinema in its first year or release) when they originally came out knows that the current ones pale in comparison. I suppose they have had 20 years of expectation piled onto them.

Has anyone actually seen the latest movie?

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys
    No problem, anyone that remembers seeing the first movies (I saw Star Wars 11 times at the cinema in its first year or release) when they originally came out knows that the current ones pale in comparison. I suppose they have had 20 years of expectation piled onto them.

Has anyone actually seen the latest movie?
    Starts playing today around here, I’ll see if I can get any tickets some time soon.

saw it last night midnight screening- been at work all day with no sleep! was definitely better than previous episodes (which I hate even more after seeing second time round) but still lacks the charisma of the originals imo. Also Christensen is pretty weak as Anakin/Darth Vader. I don't want to spoil it but for someone who is going down the path of ultimate evil he manages to come across as a petulant kid most of the time. my 2 cents worth anyway.

Still not a bad movie given the high expectations being placed on it. And Jar Jar Binks does not speak which is worth something!

i always thought it was the return of the jedi(luke) after being defeated by vader in the empire strikes back.
    so basically luke comes back after the fight to fight again
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Why all these threads about 'star wars', I **** star wars!

GAH!!!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Might have something to do with the new film being released? also if you dont like starwars you dont have to read (or post in) the threads!
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

I know, but it highly increases post count

Not that that is of any importance, I'd better leave frontroom for a few days and go back to entrance hall or the sword dojo.

miserable SPAM around here . . .

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

The jedi returning are Obi Wan and yoda isn't it? Because after episode 3 when most of the jedi are wiped out Obi Wan and Yoda go into excile, and then Obi Wan returns to fight darth vader once again. Im not sure if that is correct but that is what i thought.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

In Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda are dead.

At the end, Luke sees Obi-Wan, Yoda and his father all standing together.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt
    I always thought "Return of the Jedi" - signified "Luke" becoming a Jedi. But, taken literally it actually means "Anakin" returning to a Jedi by Killing the "Emperor".

Am I right ?
    Yes you are right! :)

Annakin was a Jedi and he fell to the Dark side, in RotJ he returns (reclaims his place) as Jedi.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

If surley Anakins imprtant enough to return to a jedi in his after life, What about people like Qui Gon Jin. I know they were made before the first 3 but still, Didnt people like him do a lot more than anakin. He slaughterd the younglings. Evil man he is !!!!

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Take your personal pick.

You can argue for both cases. Luke becoming the first of the New Jedi or Anakin returning to his rightful spot as a Jedi. Right now I just think that Lucas is happy with the title as it can mean both, making people wonder in amazement at his great insight. The fact is that the initial title was indeed Revenge of the Jedi (it is on the new DVDs and he has mentioned it several times in interviews). So if you really want to nitpick then it can only mean Luke, as Anakin doesn't revenge anything, he 'merely' wants to save his son and finally do the right thing, something he didn't do the last time he was in a similar position.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!