Thread: "greatest american" telivision show

Default "greatest american" telivision show

I saw a bit of it today. I find it ridiculous Thurgood Marshall wasn't on the list but John Edwards was. Talk about picking the wrong lawyer. Did anybody else see the show?

Default Re: "greatest american" telivision show

Haven't watched it but I googled "greatest American" and went to the first link hosted by AOL http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican . First page is voting for the top25. They have Einstein on the list but he really wasn't American. Then they dare to put Oprah and Lance Armstrong on the same level as FDR, Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson. They've put a lot idiotic celebrities and presidential wives and overlooked men as great and influential as James Madison and Marshall.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

holy CRAP!! haha, that list is freaking hilarious.. WOW!

i mean... WOW!!!

i can see maybe 10-11 of them being in the top 50.. maybe.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Why are you guys copying us? We had our Greatest Canadian show a couple of months ago. Oh well, ours was pretty pointless and stupid and probably so will this. The funny thing is we both claim Alexander Graham Bell even though he lived in the US and is burried in Canada.

This is gonna suck. Any list that has Patton and Dr. Phil on the same category is idiotic. Or how about Nikola Tesla with Martha Stewart. Benjamin Franklin and Mel Gibson(he's not even American!). Thomas Edison and Tom Cruise?!!? Oh yes and Orpah with George Washington. COME ON!!! America(as much I hate it's policies) has some really brilliant people. This list atests how low the intelligence of the mainstream is. We had some pretty stupid results as well. I believe our number one was some disabilitated guy while our greatest prime minister, and my personal idol Lester B. Pearson got like a 5th place. LBP

I hope no one watches this like we did with our stupid version.

I caught less than half of it, from about 55 through half of the top 25. I just hopped onto the website to see who the rest of the top 25 were. It is rather annoying some of the people who made the list. Perhaps the error of the show is that they let the voters/viewers decide what "great" meant. I have to admit, I'm curious to see who wins, but I'm also worried that the result is going to be extremely disappointing to me.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I caught less than half of it, from about 55 through half of the top 25. I just hopped onto the website to see who the rest of the top 25 were. It is rather annoying some of the people who made the list. Perhaps the error of the show is that they let the voters/viewers decide what "great" meant. I have to admit, I'm curious to see who wins, but I'm also worried that the result is going to be extremely disappointing to me.
    I'd say Jefferson, FDR, Washington, Lincoln and King are front runners but you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I believe our number one was some disabilitated guy
    The disabled guy was Terry Fox. The man ran halfway across Canada with a prosthetic leg Canada to raise money for cancer research. He ran an average of 42 kilometers a day for over 140 days and was forced to stop at Thunder Bay because cancer spread to his lungs. Terry Fox raised $24.1 million dollars for cancer research and every year since his death in 1981 over 60 countries have held Terry Fox runs which have raised over $350 million dollars for cancer research.

If you ask me that's pretty heroic.

The funny thing is we both claim Alexander Graham Bell even though he lived in the US and is burried in Canada.
    He was born in Scotland, thus he is ours.

Why are you guys copying us? We had our Greatest Canadian show a couple of months ago. Oh well, ours was pretty pointless and stupid and probably so will this. The funny thing is we both claim Alexander Graham Bell even though he lived in the US and is burried in Canada. .

Greatest Canadians? That would be an interesting list to see. Perhaps a very short list.

I have a feeling that Reagan will win. He recently died and he was really idolized during his funeral extravaganza. Anybody else want to guess?
    Last edited by xemitg; 06-11-2005 at 04:25.

Greatest Canadians? That would be an interesting list to see. Perhaps a very short list.
    Well considering that Dr.Phil made it onto your short list, I guess you shouldn't be one to talk.
    ..::Noobs don't own themselves!::..

I stand corrected. But I will say I had no idea who Dr Phil was until last week because I am never home during the day and if I am television is low on the priority list.

I believe our number one was some disabilitated guy while our greatest prime minister, and my personal idol Lester B. Pearson got like a 5th place.
    You have absolutely no clue about the country you live in do you? Why do I feel I have to apologise to everybody on this board when you talk about Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by xemitg
    Not short at all. And mostly quite impressive I might add.
    Here's the list: list
    Here's the top 10: top10

I admire 6 out of those 10 people, who I think deserve to be there. I also hoped that Jean Cretien was in there but that is the luck. I hope the American top 10 is as good, although I highly doubt it, seeing as people will most likely vote for Oprah. Not that the Canadians are any smarter on the whole (Don Chery?!??!) but you guys have more pop icons.

I think the greatest American should be Thomas Alva Edison. This guy nasically invented 70-80 percent of our most modern and useful appliances. The telephone, the phonograph, the incandescent lamp, and electrical systems! I mean come one! Without this guy we wouldn't be able to read in at night, or listen to music, or speak on the phone(so no internet as well). How can Bill Gates or Oprah(lol), compare to that?

I’m actually quite impressed by those on the list. However, about half of those people on the list (and practically all the entertainers) became famous in America. Does that mean America attracts great people?

I wouldn't say half the people, not even a 10% are famous because of the US. Which half were you talking about? Moreover, most of the entertainers on that list were popular years before anyone in the US had even heard of them. Why does America feel the need to attract people to make them feel like they are great?

Quote Originally Posted by Krypta
    You have absolutely no clue about the country you live in do you? Why do I feel I have to apologise to everybody on this board when you talk about Canada?
    Why DO you feel that need? Sorry we're not all Terry-lovers.

Some of us have different ideas about what greatness really means. I don't think curing cancer is really that important in term of what Canada is. Lester B Pearson made Canada what it is, from the flag, to the health care system, to our renoun around the world as a peaceful and tolerant nation. Terry just made a lot of money for cancer RESEARCH. I think cancer will be cured in time, not just by thrwoing money at it.

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: "greatest american" telivision show

read about the list in the papers hhhhmmm
    what an irony - the US of A is the leading state of our times almost in every aspect but its citizens............ oh my god , most of them, don't know who is their president , so to ask them who is the greatest american... let us hope they wont choose michael jackson , oj simpson or something like that...
    my choice is simple - jerry springer
    hei , god bless amrica
    Last edited by caesar44; 06-11-2005 at 16:38.
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)