Thread: Turtling?

Default Turtling?

In the words of Ren: What does it mean, man?

Does it refer to maintaining a small teched-up mass of land?

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

Default Re: Turtling?

i believe it means to build up and not be blitzing basically yes what you said but maybe conquering at a very conservative rate

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

In strategy games, "turtling" generally refers to the practice of being conservative and building up your faction internally, as opposed to aggressive military expansion/action.

So whereas an expansionist player immediately builds up their forces and starts attacking right away, a "turtler" will focus more on developing their infrastructure, technology, economy, etc. Turtlers usually don't have a very large military until they're much more developed, and therefore don't conquer as much land as more aggressive players do.

As a rule, people who turtle in strategy games (myself being one of them) either

a.) Are more cautious by nature; and/or
    b.) Have as much fun "growing" their civilizations as they do conquering other ones.
    Last edited by Martok; 06-20-2005 at 07:16.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Nice set of replies.

Style of Play:

Slash and Burn -- Blitzreig -- Medium --- Turtling

Turtling tends to mean minimise the amount of exposed provinces you have. Tech up and then slowly conquour while defending what is yours.

Slash and Burn is the direct opposite. It is where you attack the enemy, take over provinces, destroy the infrastructure and then move on to the next province not caring a whit about keeping the previous province.

Now you can actually play these two styles together. You make your homelands nice and cosy. And then send out a teched up army to rampage through the enemy lands, this keeps their tech to a minimum and brings in some extra cash to techup.

The problem with this is that the AI is pretty bad at teching back up and this often means facing hordes of peasants.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Turtling might also involve a completely non-aggressive approach, that is you can only attack in defensive purposes. This way you can only win the game by making enough factions your protectorates and eventually sack Rome. Another more extrem form of turtling is the "City state scenario" where you abandon all settlements on the first turn and just keep one and you may not hold anymore settlements during the entire game. Try and win that game if you can, it´s extremely hard.

Newer heard that term before.What i read from previous posts.I am an turtle.When i played STW and MTW.My strategy was that i only attacked rebel provinces,empty provinces or when some other faction first attacked me.That way in my mind the campaigns were lot more intresting.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I didn't know about it either.

People have said that I was turtling when setting up for an STW MP battle.
    I'm just slow.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Quote Originally Posted by drisos
    I didn't know about it either.

People have said that I was turtling when setting up for an STW MP battle.
    I'm just slow.
    You know drisos. In my country there is a saying:If you rush,you only get f****d up children .
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    In my country there is a saying: If you rush,you only get f****d up children.
    LMAO!

Finland right? I'm suddely higly intrested! See you soon in real life!

Sorry for my ignorance.But what does LMAO mean?If you got intrested visiting Finland i highly recommend it.Because in mid summer here sun is shining almost 24 hours a day.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    Sorry for my ignorance.But what does LMAO mean?
    Hehe, no problem. I didn't know it either before.

It means:

Laugh My Ass Off

It indicates that you lauged a lot about something someone else said.

It's kinda weird for a not-english- or V.S.- inhabitant.

After some time you'll get used to it.

I'd love to visit Finland, but I'm afraid I cannot influence my parents decisions about our holidays. I'm only 16 years old.

In the Total War games turtling is a very viable strategy. In that you have 350 years to win or enjoy playing GA you can afford to go slow and steady. Just don't expect to do well in most RTS games as a turtler because you will never have as many resources as your aggressive opponent and WILL eventually be overrun no matter how good your defenses are. Besides, I like attacking on my first turn!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Just don't expect to do well in most RTS games as a turtler because you will never have as many resources as your aggressive opponent and WILL eventually be overrun no matter how good your defenses are.
    Not true. On Age of Empires, if you employ my cunning Alley Way of Death, against people who have never played against you before, then entire armies can be annhialated while you hide behind your walls, suffering no losses. The Alley Way of Death is quite simple.

The rectangular objects are walls, and the circular things are towers. As you can, having your foe squeeze so many men down a small path will mean they go quite slow, and if you have the highest tower upgrade, or even better, Ballista towers, then all six towers quickly make mincemeat of the enemy, while not being damaged. Your enemy will usually take quite a while to make a new army, and will try to rush your gates a few times, before figuring out that a good idea would be to bring artillery, and since it will take them at least 20 minutes to do all that, it should give you good time to win if you have built a wonder. And as for resources, early in the game, go and find all the resources possible, and build a wall around them with a storage pit and five villagers trapped inside. These little fortresses will give you all your resources throughout the game. And as for wood, just make sure you encompass a forest in your city walls.

See, you can permanently turtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Defensive tactics are self defeating - when employed with no long term non defensive strategy and you play against an intuitive foe.

computers are easy, everything else is hard.
    KZ
    "A positive attitute may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Herm Albright

Defensive is not self defeating.

The main problem in MTW and RTW with defensive is money. It isn't army size, tactics of anything like that it's simply money. The reason being that war always does and always will make money (at least in games) whereas peace, and especially having an army in peacetime, costs an awfull lot.

If you manage your finances well and have enough time to build up (half an hour in RTS's, at least 20 years in TW games) without having to fund a large army then it is easy to fight off the aggressive player as your defenses, troops and land will be far more advanced than his, and you have the hugely under-rater advantage of choosing the batlefield.

Slash and burn or other aggressive strategies work well early on and give you a great lead, but before long your pitting your thousands strong low-tech army against a few hundred elite troops behind well-fortified walls, and no matter how many hastati/militia ect you throw at them, those darn walls won't come down.

Then again, you can always sap, but I consider that almost cheating.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Greeks are made for passive aggressive play. They are made for the other guys to attack.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Arrow Re: Turtling?

I think my gameplay is a bit of both. Playing RTR as Roman first I secure the Italian peninsular (that means kicking out Greeks from the south and depending on Gaul aggresion level I usually be at peace with them first).

After the peninsular has been secured then it's time to build up tech (and extra armies also) so usually my bank is quite balance in that way. No over built (armies) while building economic buildings.

Usually when I have 4 or 5 stacks of full armies then I start expanding.
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

Turtles (like me) - i reccomend you don't play dawn of war, it is the most anti-turtle game ever....

On topic, thsi is a very effective strat in total war, especially as a faction that possesses good archers/phlanaxes
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer