Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OiM Balcan factions

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default OiM Balcan factions

Here are my ideas for OiM balcan factions:

I ask Romanian members to check them, correct what they like or give me more ideas.

First. You should understand that it was incredibly hard to create those lists - they are supposed to be quite realistic and useful for the mod at the same time, so sometimes I made decisions you can disagree with. Anyway it is your mod, so you can choose what to add and what to remove, but I really put some effort in creating these 3 unit rosters.

Second. Often there is an incredible variaty of weaponry amongst on 'unit' - they were using all manner of weapons - spears, sabres, lances, shields, bows, pistols, arquebusiers - sometimes all of them !

Third. The names are in Romanian, but there is a problem that sometimes the same unit is described with several names at the same time, with a name of a completely different unit or even with a name which seems created by the guy who described it. Terrible !

All right let's start.

Generic

Wallachian and Moldavian ( + possibly Transylvanian) bodyguards were called Boieri de Casa or Copii de Casa.

THey were better armed than ordinary Boieri, so should be armed with lances, sabres and should be WELL armoured and possibly with shields as well. It is the only one truly generic unit I can propose.

WALLACHIA

The faction is famous of its light cavalry, but was using some quite interesting units of infantry as well ( including Transylvanian Haiduks).

The majority of its armies were made of cavalry.

Cavalry:

Boieri ( Wallachian Boyars - if you preferr the names in English - Boieri is the general term in Romanian),

Spear was the favourite weapon of the Wallachians, so their Boieri should use:

- lances ( in Polish called 'oseka') - with a hook added from one side - it was used to unhorse enemies even after the initial charge, a very good weapon,
    - sabres,

- shields - usually curved as the Rac, Hungarian Hussars etc.

- armour - light, they were the elite so could afford it.

Curteni

These were retainers of the Boyars. Should be armed in the same way, but without armour.

Calarisi

These were border guards. They should use either bow and spear or just bow and sabre. They were proffessional soldiers supposed to guard all the entries to Wallachia, especially the bridges/crosses over Danube.

Infantry:

Wasn't numerous, but should be there.

Strajeri

It was MOUNTED INFANTRY, but it is impossible to recreate their power correctly, unfortunatelly.

So they should be treated as infantry.

Armed with sabres and bows.

NOTE - sometimes they are called Seimeni or Voinici - I am not sure which name is correct, though.

Dorobanti

Guardians of the passes in Carpathia mountains.

Armed with double-handed axes and bows or arquebuses. In my opinion they should get the arquebuses to show that they were an elite unit.

Should be able to hide everywhere, in my opinion, because they usually were used to attack enemy from behind or to ambush him

++++ additional units++++++

Haiduks and Transylvanian Szekely - described later.

MOLDAVIA

In later XVIth century it was quite poor country and its army was much worse than during the reign of Stefan the Great.
    For this reason their cavalry should be less numerous.

Cavalry:

Boieri ( Moldavian Boyars)

Moldavian armies were always using a large number of archers, for this reason their Boieri should use:

- sabres,
    - bows,
    + armour - I don't think they should use shields.

Curteni and Strajeri ( this infantry) should use the same equipment as the Wallachians - in fact these units should be SHARED by the both factions

Calarisi

Moldavian Calarisi should use sabres and bows and no spears in my opinion.

Infantry:

Razesi

These were landowning peasants who provided the armies of Stefan the Great with a large nymber of willing to fight soldiers, however in later years their number was much smaller and their weapons were worse as well.

They should be armed with spears only, but should use normal, square formation.

Tarani also called Judete ( different source)

Peasantsa called to arms. Should use scythes and appear in large units, horde formation. Morale slightly higher than of the average peasantry.

++++++ additional units++++

+ Haiduks,

+ Tatars - the army of Moldavia was using a large number of those - from Budhak horde,

+ Cossacks - your choice which ones.

TRANSYLVANIA

Richer, more western and Hungarian-Romanian faction, sharing some units, but not all.

Boieri

Transylvanian Boyars were much more western in appearance.

These should use PISTOLS and sabres with usual armour as well. Possibly it is not completely realistic, but will give some flavour to the game.

Hungarian Hussars

The 'core' and the majority of the Tansylvanian armies.

Weaponry:
    - lance ( 3 meters, hollow, but wasn't so stiff as the Husaria's so could BEND - I am not sure if it is possible to recreate it or if it is even worth trying),
    - sabre,
    - shield with wing,
    - armour and helmet.

You can see it in Polish Armies plate 1 - Pskow 1581 - should be good enough.

Szekely

Szekels were both cavalry and infantry, but it seems more realistic to make them as cavalry.

Armed with spears and axes ( similar to Polish Pancerni in later period - called 'nadziak') + shields and no real armour.

Infantry:

Haiduks

There is plenty of information in Polish roster. HUngarian Haiduks should wear different uniforms and use larger numbers in units. You can give them slightly better close combat capabilities, but it is not so important.

Saxon Militia

Transylvanian Germans were called 'Saxons'.

They provided Transylvanians with reliable infantry - usually town militia.

Should be halberdiers in armour and morions.

++++++++ additionally++++++

Cossacks - your choice,

+ western mercenaries - pikemen, musketeers etc,
    + sometimes even Poles, but I can't suggest anything.

NOTES

ALL cavalry units should get bonus fighting in snow and good stamina ( hardy),

ALL infantry should be experts in hiding in woods, be able to hide in long grass and have bonus when fighting in snow or in woods.

UNIFORMS

Thre were almost none really uniformed units - except Haiduks, Saxon Militia and possibly the Hussars, but there are some features useful to prepare all the models and skins:

- beards - all Wallachians were growing these - possibly it was popular amongst Moldavians and Transylvanians as well,
    - large fur caps - the Wallachian cavalryman from POlish Armies ( plate - the siege of Danzig) is a good example,
    - skeletons, skulls, devils images on shields were popular amongst the Wallachians - possibly amongst other two as well,

LINK

You know it http://pubwww.srce.hr/husar/

but I want to have it in one place.

I will upgrade the rosters with more suggestions, but rather no more units will be added.

Regards Cegorach

Default Re: OiM Balcan factions

Just to make sure you know. The mod starts in 1569

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Brilliant representation of Romanian culture and social realities during 1569.....You have proven that there are perspectives for a Romanian faction. Suggestion: Wallachian ruler (Mihai Voievod), Transylvanian ruler ( the Bathory family), Moldavian ruler (the Musat dynasty, Simion Movila). Romanian factions should have close ties with Mantua, Tosca, Ferrara, Poland and Austria as part of The Holy League.Theese ties should bring some cannons in the crpatho-danubiano-pontic space.
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Cego,

Historical facts:

- In Wallachia we have Mihai Viteazul who unified the country for one year, from 1600-1601

- In Transilvania, we have the Hungarian rule, from the 1400ds we have for example, Mathas Corvin and Iancu of Hunedoara ( I can give you a picture of the Huniads castle, very impressive)

- In Moldavia, we have the end of the rule of Stephen the Great

Unit types:

Wallachia

Plentiful horsemen and archers.

Boyars - Boieri - leaders of the administrative stuff and also the best and most powerful units of the Wallachians. They used:
    - Bow( not very often)
    - Sword( they used it, especially the Voievode, because he almost always engaged in close combat)
    -Armour, light and heavy(the Voievode)

Archers - Don't forget to add them, they were very numerous.

Strajeri - The translation of "Strajeri" is guard or watchmen( a sta de straja = to stay on guard). They quite rarely seen the battlefield because they guarded and stayed in the castles. They were the watchmen of the castles. They were armed with bows and spears.

Curteni - means "Men of the Court", they accompanied the nobles on the battlefield as squires, sometimes participated in battles as light infantry.

Haiduks - Only for Moldavia

Moldavia

Plentiful peasantry and archers, many tartar horsemen( Kiev and Basarabia was full of Tartars)

They were formed mainly of peasantry, and had very reduced contigents of very powerful soldiers, only the Boyars. Also, many unit types like the Wallachians.

Haiduks - Haiduks were the free men of the Moldavian society who were wanted by the local chief and good soldiers although they didn't fight( they fought with the militias of the chief)

Hunters - Gunpowder men, they were evoked in the epic " Sobieski and the Romanians". Sobieski , the Polish King, invaded Moldavia and sieged a castle. Defending them were only 25 Hunters. Many polish soldiers died, and under 10 men survived when the Poles entered the castle. Sobieski wanted to kill them because only a handful of men resisted his great army. Fortunately, his personal advisor told him that they only did they job and so Sobieski was impressed and the Poles left Moldavia.

Razesi - Landowning peasants who were willing to fight and young also.

Judete - means province

Hopefully Cegorach this will help. PM me if you need any help!!!

Cheers!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Archers - Don't forget to add them, they were very numerous.

>>>>>>>>>>>> Horse or foot ?
    How were they called in Romanian ?

Strajeri - The translation of "Strajeri" is guard or watchmen( a sta de straja = to stay on guard). They quite rarely seen the battlefield because they guarded and stayed in the castles. They were the watchmen of the castles. They were armed with bows and spears.

>>>>>>>>>> According all sources I have they were cavalry or rather mounted infantry, am I wrong ?

Curteni - means "Men of the Court", they accompanied the nobles on the battlefield as squires, sometimes participated in battles as light infantry.

>>>>>>>>> So they were not cavalrymen ?

Haiduks - Only for Moldavia

>>>>>>>>>> I remember though that when the Ottomans were invading Wallachia in late XVIth century ( around 1595) Wallachian army used numerous Haiduks and decent number of cannons - this massive firepower annihilated Ottoman Akinji cavalry which was never used after this war.

So were these guys mercenaries, Haiduks or some local guys - I have read that the Wallachians despised gunpowder weapons, so I believe they were mercenary Haiduks from Transylvania - again, am I wrong ?

Moldavia

who were wanted by the local chief and good soldiers although they didn't fight( they fought with the militias of the chief)

>>>>>>>>>>> I am confused were they fighting or not ? Were they from Moldavia or from Transylvania/other place ( Cossacks ?) ?

Hunters - Gunpowder men, they were evoked in the epic " Sobieski and the Romanians". Sobieski , the Polish King, invaded Moldavia and sieged a castle. Defending them were only 25 Hunters. Many polish soldiers died, and under 10 men survived when the Poles entered the castle. Sobieski wanted to kill them because only a handful of men resisted his great army. Fortunately, his personal advisor told him that they only did they job and so Sobieski was impressed and the Poles left Moldavia.

>>>>>>>>> Interesting. What should they be called ? I need Romanian name again.
    BTW I would be greateful for singular and plural names in Romanian for all the units I proposed - some are correct I believe, but I want to make sure it is all right. PMTW mod uses names in national languages so it is essential to have them all written CORRECTLY.

Judete - means province

>>>>>>>> So Tarani would be a better name ?

Hopefully Cegorach this will help. PM me if you need any help!!!

>>>>>>>>>> I will, thanks.

I actually need some information about possible office titles (for MTW Pike & Musket mod) and historical heroes/anti-heroes useful for MTW edition of PMTW, OiM mod and RTW edition of PMTW.

Currently I have only Stephen the Great ( Moldavia starts with him in early era of PMTW 1.0) and Michael the Brave - I need more - up to 30 !!!

Regards Cegorach

Please try the link http://pubwww.srce.hr/husar/
    and tell me which images would be the best for these units I described. I would be greateful - because we need accurate images for RTW graphics

I have found something Strajeri de Garda - it seems that only these soldiers were used to guard Wallachian palaces/castles and original Strajeri were horse infantrymen.

Any comments ?

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach1

>>>>>>>>>>>> Horse or foot ?
    How were they called in Romanian ?

>>>>>>>>>> According all sources I have they were cavalry or rather mounted infantry, am I wrong ?

>>>>>>>>> So they were not cavalrymen ?

>>>>>>>>>> I remember though that when the Ottomans were invading Wallachia in late XVIth century ( around 1595) Wallachian army used numerous Haiduks and decent number of cannons - this massive firepower annihilated Ottoman Akinji cavalry which was never used after this war.

So were these guys mercenaries, Haiduks or some local guys - I have read that the Wallachians despised gunpowder weapons, so I believe they were mercenary Haiduks from Transylvania - again, am I wrong ?

Moldavia

who were wanted by the local chief and good soldiers although they didn't fight( they fought with the militias of the chief)

>>>>>>>>>>> I am confused were they fighting or not ? Were they from Moldavia or from Transylvania/other place ( Cossacks ?) ?

>>>>>>>>> Interesting. What should they be called ? I need Romanian name again.
    BTW I would be greateful for singular and plural names in Romanian for all the units I proposed - some are correct I believe, but I want to make sure it is all right. PMTW mod uses names in national languages so it is essential to have them all written CORRECTLY.

>>>>>>>> So Tarani would be a better name ?

>>>>>>>>>> I will, thanks.

I actually need some information about possible office titles (for MTW Pike & Musket mod) and historical heroes/anti-heroes useful for MTW edition of PMTW, OiM mod and RTW edition of PMTW.

Currently I have only Stephen the Great ( Moldavia starts with him in early era of PMTW 1.0) and Michael the Brave - I need more - up to 30 !!!

Regards Cegorach

Dear Cego,

Here are the answers:

Arcasi - Romanian name for archers and they were foot...

The Curteni were mounted soldiers but they hadn't the same skill and power as the Boyars.... They were medium cavalry....

As far as I know, Strajeri are only foot soldiers....

Haiduks are light cavalry...They sometimes used the bow but very often they used what they could find, especially gunpowder stuff... Pistols especially... But they were devastating.... They used tacticts like the Mongols: Hit and run....

Those hunters were called - Plaiesi -

Yeah... Tarani is the perfect way to describe peasants... Or Jobbagy, because the Romanian name - iobagi - means also peasant....

About the leaders, I'm digging up to give you info....

Hopefully it will help!!!
    Cheers!!!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Dear Cego,here's some more info I gathered that might help you...

Pandours - Musket men, in romanian - panduri - they were the best shooters in Romanian armies....

At that website you gave me, check at Horse and Musket and at the Pandours 1 and 2 are perfect, especially 2.

For Haiduks - check at Pike and Shot, the Croatian Light Carabinier 1640.. the haiduks look like this only without some stuff like that thing on the head... And instead of the long musket, only a pistol...

I'm checking for more info and checking the pictures and I'm gonna post the feedback.... Hopefully I will find a website which will give you more info....
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 06-24-2005 at 21:00.

Proud

Been to:

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Angry Re: OiM Balcan factions

I am shocked!!!

Hajduci (hajduks) were Serbian warriors who fought against Ottomans. Traditionaly they gathered in 6th May (St George - Djurdjevdan on Serbian) and they left 8th of November (St Demetrous - Mitrovdan on Serbian). Their chief was called harambasha. They were some kind of guerylla units who attacked Turkish trade caravanes, garrisones at roads etc.

The most famous Serbian hajduk was hajduk Veljko who was one of Serbian military commanders in First Serbian Rebellion against Ottomans (1804-1813) who fought in Eastern Serbia (Timocka krajina).

Word hajduk had arab-turkish origin and means thief.

When Haji Mustafa was killed in 1801 in Serbia came dahije and huge number of Serbs went in hajduks.

In Serbian tradition we have a lot of epics about hajduks who were national heroes who fought agains Ottoman represion.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

[QUOTE=DukeofSerbia]I am shocked!!!

I am shocked because of your shock

Sorry, but Haiduks were present in all balcan armies + in Poland. In fact the most famous Haiduks were from Hungary.

So please - leave this agression for other topics, ok ?

[QUOTE=edyzmedieval]Dear Cego,

Here are the answers:

The Curteni were mounted soldiers but they hadn't the same skill and power as the Boyars.... They were medium cavalry....

Haiduks are light cavalry...They sometimes used the bow but very often they used what they could find, especially gunpowder stuff... Pistols especially... But they were devastating.... They used tacticts like the Mongols: Hit and run....

Yeah... Tarani is the perfect way to describe peasants... Or Jobbagy, because the Romanian name - iobagi - means also peasant....

>>>>>>>>>>> All right I will add Arcasi, Plaiesi, Strajeri will be infantrymen as planned, because it is not possible to dismount anything in RTW the way it was possible in MTW...

THe Haiduks - well, I can bet they were infantrymen with gunpowder weaponry. You must be mistaken or there is a wider meaning of the term in Romania. THey will be infantrymen for sure.
    Jobbagy - Tarani is better I think. The word Jobbagy is used in Hungarian as well, and I need something more Romanian

The leaders would be good...

Regards Cegorach

[QUOTE=edyzmedieval]Dear Cego,here's some more info I gathered that might help you...

Pandours - Musket men, in romanian - panduri - they were the best shooters in Romanian armies....

At that website you gave me, check at Horse and Musket and at the Pandours 1 and 2 are perfect, especially 2.

I didn't know that the Pandours were present in Romanian armies. I will add them as a very advanced unit for later period of the game ( after 'the Marian reforms'). It is good that you give the information about the images - it will really quicken the process of preparing the Danube factions for OiM mod and some of these units will appear in PMTW for MTW and RTW as well

TO ALL OF YOU

You might be interested in playing PMTW 1.0 for MTW VI - this is earliy release of the mod ( so none new graphics yet) , but it will give you the basic knowledge of my approach to the balcan factions.

Check PMTW downloads thread for more
    Last edited by cegorach; 06-25-2005 at 12:04.

[QUOTE=cegorach1]
    Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Dear Cego,

Here are the answers:

>>>>>>>>>>> All right I will add Arcasi, Plaiesi, Strajeri will be infantrymen as planned, because it is not possible to dismount anything in RTW the way it was possible in MTW...

THe Haiduks - well, I can bet they were infantrymen with gunpowder weaponry. You must be mistaken or there is a wider meaning of the term in Romania. THey will be infantrymen for sure.
    Jobbagy - Tarani is better I think. The word Jobbagy is used in Hungarian as well, and I need something more Romanian

The leaders would be good...

Regards Cegorach
    Dear Cego,

In Romania, haiduks were light cavalry... I have found also the explanation of Haiduks in Romanian - Men who lived in the 16th,17th,18th and they were "out-of-law" - Rarely Haiduks fought on foot....

Cheers!

Proud

Been to:

[QUOTE=cegorach1]
    Dear Cego,here's some more info I gathered that might help you...

I didn't know that the Pandours were present in Romanian armies. I will add them as a very advanced unit for later period of the game ( after 'the Marian reforms'). It is good that you give the information about the images - it will really quicken the process of preparing the Danube factions for OiM mod and some of these units will appear in PMTW for MTW and RTW as well

TO ALL OF YOU

You might be interested in playing PMTW 1.0 for MTW VI - this is earliy release of the mod ( so none new graphics yet) , but it will give you the basic knowledge of my approach to the balcan factions.

Check PMTW downloads thread for more
    Dear Cego,

Exactly what I was gonna say to you. Pandours started their existence in the 18th century.

Cheers!

Proud

Been to:

In Romania, haiduks were light cavalry... I have found also the explanation of Haiduks in Romanian - Men who lived in the 16th,17th,18th and they were "out-of-law" - Rarely Haiduks fought on foot....

Good it is finally explained...

Waiting for more information.

Regards Cegorach

I consider the Danube factions' rosters ready. I only need more images.

The thread will be used for MOntenegro and Balcan allies of the Ottomans.

Sorry Cegorach1, but I don't have Viking Invasion to run Pike and Musket properly. Can you post here, please some screenshots?

Quote Originally Posted by Cronos Impera
    Sorry Cegorach1, but I don't have Viking Invasion to run Pike and Musket properly. Can you post here, please some screenshots?
    What do you need ?

Could you post some moldavian units and the factions description?
    Thanks.

I will do it later when I finally add all the new units to the mod

Aquincum, Pannonia Inferior Ak-Ink, Eravacouw

Please don't try to make Transsylvania a Romanian like fraction. In fact this is the only real Hungarian fraction. By that time it was mostly populated by Hungarians and Germans, save for the southern parts. The political and military rule was based on the alliance of the three nations of Transsylvania, the Hungarians, the Székelys (Hungarians with right of self governance for military duty for a fixed period) and the Germans. Militarily the elected Prince was in command of the regular Transsylvanian troops ( heavily financed but not contributed by the German Citizens), for a limited period (only abroad) the Székelys plus (mostly) hired Hajdús from Eastern Hungary and the Partium (no-one's land of some counties between the kingdom of Hungary, Transsylvania and the Turkish occupied lands of central Hungary centered around Debrecen (should be made rebel province). There were no boyars (no romanian nobles in Transsylvania, no pandurs, or anything like that.
    The Székelys living in mountainous parts were mostly (say 80%) infantry, while the mounted Székelys (lófős) were in command, or formed smaller units. The regular army had more expensive armoured Hussars (lighter than those in Poland and definately without the cool wings) plus musketmen, and other infantry. The Hajdús were light infantry or cavalry (about half) little or no armour and somewhat less organized I would suggest

Székely talpasok - light inf
    Székely lovasság - light cavalry
    Hajdúk - light infantry
    Lovas hajdúk - light cavalry
    Puskások - Musketeers
    Talpasok - medium infantry
    Huszárok - Medium cavalry
    Pattanytúsok - arty
    Szász polgárőrök - medium inf, armoured
    Peasants or irregulars

If you wist these can be expanded a bit.

Thanks for your information. For ages I was waiting for someone like you m8 !

Very good that you added the names in Magyar ( sp?).

I was aware that the Transylvanian people were Hungarians at that time - Stefan Batory - one of the greatest Polish kings and Hungarian duke was Transylvanian after all.

BTW - can you translate the name in Hungarian - Transylvanian Haiduk Guards - both plural and singular.

If you could provide similar names for the units you have presented I would be greateful too - singular and plural

Have a look in XVI-XVII mod thread as well. If you still like MTW you might add something.

For both engines ( MTW and RTW) I would need more information as well -

office titles ( in Hungarian), famour/infamous heroes/losers for Transylvania after 1480, possibly some images as well.

BTW - the Transylvanian Boyars appear in many sources, but none is Hungarian, in fact it seems that Hungarians do not visit forums like this very often and even if I am Polish ( you know 'brother folk of Hungarians ') I have no idea about Hungarian language and Transylvanian/Hungarian army after 1480 ( and especially after 1568) is almost a mystery to me - honestly I know better Moldavians and Wallachians or even Portuguese and Danes better than Hungarians, which is a pity.

Polish sources for example are rather dissappointing - there is almost nothing about Rakoczy's army in 1657...

More later if you are willing to help more.

Regards Cegorach

Shure, I help I already have done some reseach on Transsylvanian armies that may change the unit list:

Gyalogszékely Pl. székelyek - light inf armed with spears/swords/axes/sometimes muskets/bows

Székely lófő Pl: lófők - medium light cavalry with sabres or lances

Székely veres drabant Pl: drabantok - Red clad musketmen recruited amongst the Székelys

Hajdú Talpas Pl. talpasok -light infantry armed with sabres, no armour

Hajdú puskás pl. - puskások medium infantry no armour, musket sabre

Lovas hajdú pl. hajdúk - light cavalry sabre and pistol no armour

Kék drabant pl. drabantok - medium infantry musketmen good morale wearing blue
    Huszár pl. huszárok - Medium cavalry with light armour, using picks, sabres and pistols good morale

Válogatott koplyás - chosen lancers light cavalry good morale no armour shield

Pattanytús pl. pattanytúsok - arty

Szász polgárőrör pl. polgárőrök - medium inf, armoured Saxon town watch

Kék-zöld drabant pl. drabantok - musketmen raised by the Saxon towns may be excluded. Must wear blue-green uniform

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach1
    Thanks for your information. For ages I was waiting for someone like you m8 !

Very good that you added the names in Magyar ( sp?).

I was aware that the Transylvanian people were Hungarians at that time - Stefan Batory - one of the greatest Polish kings and Hungarian duke was Transylvanian after all.

BTW - can you translate the name in Hungarian - Transylvanian Haiduk Guards - both plural and singular.

If you could provide similar names for the units you have presented I would be greateful too - singular and plural

Have a look in XVI-XVII mod thread as well. If you still like MTW you might add something.

For both engines ( MTW and RTW) I would need more information as well -

office titles ( in Hungarian), famour/infamous heroes/losers for Transylvania after 1480, possibly some images as well.

BTW - the Transylvanian Boyars appear in many sources, but none is Hungarian, in fact it seems that Hungarians do not visit forums like this very often and even if I am Polish ( you know 'brother folk of Hungarians ') I have no idea about Hungarian language and Transylvanian/Hungarian army after 1480 ( and especially after 1568) is almost a mystery to me - honestly I know better Moldavians and Wallachians or even Portuguese and Danes better than Hungarians, which is a pity.

Polish sources for example are rather dissappointing - there is almost nothing about Rakoczy's army in 1657...

More later if you are willing to help more.

Regards Cegorach
    I can translate Transylvanian Haiduk guards - Erdélyi hajdúk, or Erdélyi hajdú őrök, but tere is not much sense in it, there was not a thig like that. The hajdús came mostly from Eastern Hungary and were wandering mercenaries fighting mostly for the king of Hungary (at that period the Habsburgs) or for the princes of Transylvania, sometimes even abroad or in extreme cases even for the Turks. I would suggest to say simply Hajdú.

Shurely I can take a look at the Hungarian units too, I have more resources on them. Wher can they be found?

What titles do you need? military? OK. Hadnagy is usually second in command, kapitány is captain, ezredkapitány is major, generális is general.
    What heroes do you mean? Soldiers? Princes? I give you the list odf princes, the more importat ones marked:

1541-1551 János Zsigmond (son of Zápolya János king of Hungary he wore the title Herceg (prince) the later princes were elected and had the title "fejedelem"
    1551-1556 I. Ferdinánd magyar király - king of Hungary and Austria
    1556-1571 János Zsigmond
    1571-1576 Báthory István
    1576-1581 Báthory Kristóf
    1581-1598 Báthory Zsigmond
    1598-1605 Báthory Endre
    1598-1605 Mihály vajda - he was Romanian and seized the throne for half a year through treachery after civil war
    1598-1605 Rudolf király king of Hungary and Austria
    1605-1606 Bocskai István
    1606-1608 Rákóczi Zsigmond
    1608-1613 Báthory Gábor - villain
    1613-1629 Bethlen Gábor
    1629-1630 Brandenburgi Katalin
    1630-1648 I. Rákóczi György
    1648-1660 II. Rákóczi György
    1658-1659 Rhédei Ferenc
    1660 Barcsai Ákos
    1661-1662 Kemény János
    1662-1690 I. Apafi Mihály
    1690 II. Apafi Mihály
    1690 Thököly Imre
    1691-1705 I. Lipót magyar király King of Hungary and Austria
    1705-1711 II. Rákóczi Ferenc

Are you mentioning that Rákóczy who took Krakow but the Swedes let him down and almost all his army fell captive of the Khan of Crimea?

I just read a book about that. It had some details.

What else do you need?

By the runes, Transylvania wasn't a hungarian faction at all. In fact Iancu of Hunedoara and Mathias Corvin ware of romanian catholic origins. Magyars lived mainly in today Târgu Mureş, Arad, Harghita and Covasna. Moldavia and Wallachia ware founded by romanian nobles from the Fagaras region ( Negru Vodă ) and Maramureş ( Bogdan şi Dragoş I). Transylvannia was an Orthodox romanian province. The historical religious issue was about the acceptance of ortodoxy by the magyar rulers. The romanian nobles ware forced to convert to catholicism in order to keep their rights. In order to control the romanian majority, magyars colonized the Transylvannian plateau with saşi ( germans) and secui ( a population related to the magyars). Romanians formed the majority in Transylvannia, with a minority of magyar and german colonists. Iancu of Hunedoara, the saviour of Hungary was a romanian noble ( roman-catholic but still romanian).
    Ave Cronos!

The sad thing is that you still believe this... Don't be bothered by the facts... Creative history rules.

By the runes, Transylvania wasn't a hungarian faction at all.
    I beg to disagree - the Transylvanian army for the period should be Hungarian. While it's true the Romanians made the majority of the population at any moment in time, the structure of the army was Hungarian-style and not Wallachian or Moldavian-style for the simple reason most of the Romanians were serfs.
    In fact Iancu of Hunedoara and Mathias Corvin ware of romanian catholic origins. Magyars lived mainly in today Târgu Mureş, Arad, Harghita and Covasna. Moldavia and Wallachia ware founded by romanian nobles from the Fagaras region ( Negru Vodă ) and Maramureş ( Bogdan şi Dragoş I).
    The fact few Romanian noblemen like Iancu de Hunedoara/Hunyadi Janos or Pavel Chinezul (don't know the Hungarian version of his name) made it through the highest ranks of the Hungarian/Transylvanian army doesn't change the fundamental structure of the Transylvanian army, which was Hungarian-style. Besides, Mathias Corvin is as much of Romanian origin as he is of Hungarian origin since his mother was Hungarian...
    Transylvannia was an Orthodox romanian province. The historical religious issue was about the acceptance of ortodoxy by the magyar rulers. The romanian nobles ware forced to convert to catholicism in order to keep their rights. In order to control the romanian majority, magyars colonized the Transylvannian plateau with saşi ( germans) and secui ( a population related to the magyars). Romanians formed the majority in Transylvannia, with a minority of magyar and german colonists. Iancu of Hunedoara, the saviour of Hungary was a romanian noble ( roman-catholic but still romanian).
    Ave Cronos!
    Yeah, but all this hasn't really anything to do with the mod Pike&Musket. What counts here is how the Transylvanian armies looked liked and how the units were called and, for historic accuracy the army has to look Hungarian and the names of the units should be Hungarian too.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgus
    The sad thing is that you still believe this... Don't be bothered by the facts... Creative history rules.
    Romanians and Hungarians don't get very well, you know

For the PMTW period, they were Hungarians and had the Hungarian army type. But Cegorach, you should make the province very unstable, because of many revolts of the Romanians, because the Hungarians forced the Romanians to convert to lutheranism, catholicism or calvinism.

So, you should split it into 5 or 6 religiouns, because Hereticism and even Paganism was present, but a very small population followed these religions.

Proud

Been to:

Also Cegorach, need any more historical help about Wallachia and Moldavia, just yell.

Cheers!

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast