Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Factions

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Factions

Well, any help would be welcome.
    Something we'd need right now is someone able to add accents to the names and titles provided by Ranika in the 'names' topic.

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Default Re: Factions

That said, as earlier pointed out, letters with a K should be dropped (Ivernic names and language were out of use by 843, and were only ever used in Munster), probably Y names, though some Welsh names were still present in Munster as late as the 1000s, and a Welsh-speaking minority existed in Desmumu.

Although, yeah, I can't add fada for some reason; I'm so computer illiterate I used to have to copy and paste fada where necessary...and frankly I'm too lazy at this point. That also said, if you want to place fada, please check with me; their placement has changed even in words that are still the same (including dropping/adding fada to certain words or removing them from others entirely).

That said, keep in mind that the name list was not actually tailored for this mod particularly (the massive list I posted, that is). It was just a huge list of Gaelic and Irish names from different periods; it includes both a lot of anglicized names, some names adopted from Normans, Ivernic names, some partly Gaelicized-Cymric names. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, sorting out the best names for the mod, for this period, they're more than welcome. I only bothered to cull the primitive Irish names, since they were all on the end of the lists, and easiest to cut.
    Last edited by Ranika; 11-13-2005 at 02:30.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

Not to be snarky, but shortcuts to accents:

é : alt-0233
    á : alt-0225
    í : alt-0237
    ó: alt-0243
    ú: alt-0252

They're kind of overwhelming at first, but they're second nature to me now.

About the "k": I've seen "Mac" written as "Mak" more than once, and certain surnames still in existence have a clear link to this spelling. Whether or not this should be restricted to the Scottish faction is up for debate, but it seems like a plausible determination.

As I recall, 'mak' is like 'mhic'; presumably it's a bastardized form of 'mac' employed by some Picts (presumably because they were closer to the Roman church, and introduced the 'K' into their liturgy, and presumably their written language). However, it was mostly over-taken by the traditional Gaelic spellings, except in cases of isolation or individual clans descended mainly from Picts, and maintained it as a local cultural spelling.

In modern Irish anyway there are several forms of Mac and Mhic and even more so with female names, Ní or Nic being the unmarried form of Mac and Mhic being the married form. Will this be taken into account? Will female charaters even be given surnames? Will there be female leaders? Some Irish systems were not exclusively patrilineal.

I don't think it's possible to realistically depict female leaders (they would still take wives, and still look like men in battle; additionally, you'd not be able to ensure they'd have a female name). There are a painful lot of hardcoded issues that prevent depicting a number of old Gaelic practices appropriately (such as appropriate 'surnames', since they didn't have surnames in the modern sense, and so on).

I see in the last post of Legio that the end of the game will arrive to 1099.

My question is: have you consider include almoravids as a emerging faction?
    Historically it will be logical, due to their importance at history of Africa and Spain.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

No, but we're using another system for inclusion of the almoravids. Scripting will unlock the "invitation" of the almoravids, and make the al-andalus faction able to recruit almoravid units in the late part of the mod. As explained the faction limit prevents us from doing anything else than that, but I believe it's good enough.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

OK. Even historically almoravids were invited but soon arrived to control almost all muslim Spain, I think your solution is quite good. If there is no other posibility.

I can provide you information about almoravid units if you have not cover that item yet. Almoravids had camels, and they developed a very advanced system to movilise great masses of warriors with discipline and order, using drum song signals. They were good tacticians. Only the famous Rodrigo Díaz, el Cid, was able to stop them, and only during a few years.
    Last edited by Nacheras; 01-11-2006 at 12:09.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

If you have good info it's very welcome
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Heres the semi-final faction names listed by cultures. Where I wrote more names the first is the most possible. Please give your opinions here.

Turkish
    Hazar Eli, Hazarlar =Khazars
    Bulgaria =Bulgar Turks and Slavs
    Mogyeriek, Hetumogyer =Hungarians

Slavic
    (Velká) Morava =Great Moravia

British
    Alba =Scots
    Mumu, Mumainha, Eoghanachta =The Irish
    Gwynedd =Wales
    West Seaxe, Angle Cynedóm =Wessex

Vikings
    Rus, Væringjar =Varagian Russia
    Normannaland, Agder =Norway
    Dane Mark, Danemark =Danes
    Svithjod, Svea Rike =Sweden
    Normans =Normanns in France

Frankish
    Francia Occidentalis =Western Frankish Kingdom
    Media Francia =Central Frankish Kingdom
    Francia Orientalis =Eastern Frankish Kingdom
    Regnum Asturicum, Asturias =North of Spain

Greek/Roman
    Basileía Romaíon =Byzantine Empire

Muslim
    al-Imāra al-Umawiyya =Muslim Spain
    al-Khilāfa al-Abbāsiyya =North Afrika and Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Csatadi
    Heres the semi-final faction names listed by cultures. Where I wrote more names the first is the most possible. Please give your opinions here.

Turkish

Slavic
    (Velká) Morava =Great Moravia

British
    Alba =Scots
    Gwynedd =Wales
    Wessex, Kingdom of Englisc =Wessex

Vikings
    Normans =Normanns in France

Frankish

Greek/Roman

Muslim
    al-Khilāfa al-Abbāsiyya =North Afrika and Egypt

Perfect.Completely looking forward to reestablishing Arthurs kingdom. Long live the Welsh Princes!!!!!!

Wonderful list. I counted 20 factions, you still have 1 more faction left, I wonder which faction it will it be. ;)

In the history the Muslim part of the Iberian peninsula called to Al-Andalus. Another possibility is al-Dawla al-Umawiyya =the state of the Ummayads. This last one is more right if the player conquer e.g. the Frank states the whole empire cannot be Al-Andalus.

In the history the Muslim part of the Iberian peninsula called to Al-Andalus. Another possibility is al-Dawla al-Umawiyya =the state of the Ummayads. This last one is more right if the player conquer e.g. the Frank states the whole empire cannot be Al-Andalus.
    Sorry, but with this mind you must change the name of Asturias too.
    Asturias was a little territory northern Spain.
    So if Asturian player conquer the frank states the whole empire cannot be Asturias.

I support Al-Andalus. It was the real name.

MM, you ever thought to insert a new faction when another disappear?
    I dont even know if this is possible, maybe having to close the game and reopen using batch files at a certain date.
    Let say in year 1000, some faction will enter like slav do in BI, taking place of a extinct faction (or deleting another faction, i dont know).
    Just an idea, i dont even know if can be implemented.
    Bye

I can imagine it works - althrough your idea is unusual - because a faction can appear by an event and there is a destroyed faction event, too.
    But both the disappearing and the appearing factions would count in the faction limit.

Csatadi, I read about it in some other mod,
    they wil ltry with some batch file to allow player to play more factions,
    dropping the deleted faction, or another faction in the rebel army.
    Maybe that can be done here too
    (I truly forget what mod was that one :))
    Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Nacheras
    Sorry, but with this mind you must change the name of Asturias too.
    Asturias was a little territory northern Spain.
    So if Asturian player conquer the frank states the whole empire cannot be Asturias.
    What? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    What? Why not?
    I was simply following the Csatadi argument...

BTW I don´t agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor
    Here is your problem....

You must secide if they came from a Norwegian/Dane kingdom, or Norwegian/Dane area.

As you can se here, sometimes the viken (oslofjord area) was under Norwegian roule, and sometimes under Danes.

If they came from an area witch today is Norway, but rouled by a Dane king, were they then Norwegians or Danes?

http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atl...ia/denmark.htm

http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atl...via/norway.htm

-Skel-
    I think he must be considered a Norwegian, considering his father was the jarl of Mæri. and..

Rögnvaldur Mærajarl var hinn mesti ástvin Haralds konungs og konungur virti hann mikils.
    ([Hrólfs father] was a great friend of king Harald and much respected by the king.)

And this being king Haraldr hárfagri (fairhair?/hairfair?).(of norway)

That said, nordic peoples were all called danes by many foreign scholars so
    even Icelanders conisdered themselves "danes"... in laws written as late as 13th century, being able to speak danish tounge was a necessity in order to sit in a jury. And that is before we got a Danish king or any king for that matter...

Somebody once gave a tip to naming the normanns.
    Norþmen would be the right form?

Somebody once gave a tip to naming the normanns.
    Norþmen would be the right form?
    As far as I know, Norþmen is the olde englisc spelling, but in olde norse it would be Norðmen, or even Norðmenn... however spelling wasn't always completely fixed, and it might be more difficult to diffrentiate from Norwegians who were also called Norðmenn(and even still are by certain people).

In the "Haraldssaga Hárfagra" Normandy is even called Norðmandí. However it also says its a later term.

(the ð is a softer version of the þ, currently pronounced similarly to th in "the", while the Þ is like "thousand")

The fresh list. Where I wrote more names the first is the most possible. Please give your opinions here.

Turkish

Slavic
    Velká Morava =Great Moravia

British
    Alba =Scots
    Gwynedd =Wales
    West Seaxe, Angle Cynedóm =Wessex, English Kingdom

Vikings
    Norðmenn =Normans in France

Frankish

Greek/Roman

Muslim
    Al-Andalus =Muslim Spain
    al-Khilāfa al-Abbāsiyya =Abbaside Caliphate

-------
    Tjuguskeggr: Thanks!

hi all,this is a suggestion:between 842 and 1099 the muslim world was divided between 3 khilaphates:the ommayades who ruled muslim spain and a large part of morroco and abbassides who ruled the east but booth are sunnite,but a strong power raise the fatimide they were shiite ismailite,the appear in the modern algeria and establish there capital city firstble in al mahdiya in modern tunisia after that and uder the caliphe 'al mo'z li dine allah al fatimi' they build a new city 'al kahira' cairo in egypt.and this power ruled the north affica ,egypt ,paslestine ,jordani and syria.this is my first suggestion.
    the second ,the almoravides they were from the sahara very fanatic for islam 'sanhaja' a berber tribe they were composed by the lamtuna ,messoufa and gudala.
    they ruled boot sahra ,morroco and muslim spain and a large part of algeria.
    i think adding almoravides with there unit camels,the used an enormous masse of infantry javiline man ,pikeman,they use drummer who send ordders to other part of army for (attaking,deffiding,stading) and olso terrify the enemies,and the famous black guardswho play a great role in zallaqa(one of then injurred alphonso the VI.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

really, Interesting. I awlawys thought that Shi'ism spread more to the east (seeing that Husayn died at Karbala)and formed such sects as the Nizaris. And I thought that the Almoravids were the last of the Ummayads and were reformed later by the Almohads. Honestly, I don't remember .

Ya Misr!

no relation between the almoravides and ommayades and almohades;but the almohades take marrakesch from the almoravides in 1145 Ad,and they killed all the almoravides soldiers and population in marrakesch.waw it's very mostruous.
    thanks for the replay

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Don't mean to be a historidork but I was always taught that the last of the Ummayad Kaliphs went west and founded the Almoravids, or was that Al Andalus ?

Ya Misr!

ok i'm not historidoc but i read this in this web site about almoravides

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almoravid
    and this about umayade
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad

and this about the caliphs of cordoba:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliph_of_Cordoba

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast