Thread: Making Crusader units trainable

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Making Crusader units trainable

First of all, I'm issuing a preliminary apology in the (probably very likely) case that this has been brought up before. The simple truth is that I would lose what sanity I still have long before sifting through the few hundred threads I would surely need to go through before finally finding what I'm looking for. That said.....

What I want is to be able to train Crusader units without having to actually launch Crusades. I still like launching Crusades, but I don't like that I can't retrain Crusader units back to full strength, and that the only other way to do so is essentially "cannibalize" under-strength units and merge them together, until they eventually dwindle to nothing. (Sorry, didn't mean to diatribe there; I digress.)

Anyway, I wouldn't be modding anything else except for putting in the building requirements needed to train the various units (i.e., Order Foot Soldiers requiring a Chapter House, Spearmakers Workshop, and maybe an Armourer). I wouldn't be changing the training/maintenance costs, or which factions can train which units. Only factions that can already crusade would have access to these units (so the Danes, Hungarians, and Polish still won't be able to train them). And factions that can crusade still wouldn't be able to train units exclusive to other factions (so you won't see Aragon with Tuetonic Seargents, or the English with Hospitallars, etc.). The only thing I want to change about Crusader units is that in addition to getting them through Crusades, that you can train them as well--provided you've built the necessary structures required.

So having said all that, how do I actually find and get into the files necessary to mod this? I must emphasize I don't have the first clue--not the first clue--as to how to mod games. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to this stuff. What I probably need is a "How to Mod Medieval for Dummies" instruction booklet, so any advice or pointers as to where I should go would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Martok; 06-30-2005 at 08:20.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Making Crusader units trainable

Calm down man.... No rush....

It's easy to mod this..... Use the Dragon MTW Editor(I do not reccomend modifying the text file) and modify the Crusader_Unit11_prod.txt(or something like this).... At one column, you type there between { } the name of the buldings you want....

For example, you want to train Order Foot Soldiers and for that you want Chapter House and Spearmaker's Workshop. It should be like this:

{CHAPTER_HOUSE, SPEARMAKER2}

Every column is explained up, near the control bar....

Simple,no?!

Cheers!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I have an editor called Gnome_UnitBuildProj_Editorv2[1][1][1].0. Someone gave it to me a while back. Would that one work, or should I still get the Dragon editor instead? And if so, where do I find it--is there a sticky somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I have an editor called Gnome_UnitBuildProj_Editorv2[1][1][1].0. Someone gave it to me a while back. Would that one work, or should I still get the Dragon editor instead? And if so, where do I find it--is there a sticky somewhere?
    Gnome Editor will work just fine
    .:vVv:. A UT2004 Clan
    Visit us at http://vvv-clan.com

Down with the Pope and his crusading monkeys!

Once I've used the editor to mod the building requirements for each Crusader unit as I see fit, where do I actually save the file to? Medieval --> New models?

Well, I work with the Dragon Editor.....

When I mod the files, it just saves them over the originals..... Very simple.....

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Well, I work with the Dragon Editor.....

When I mod the files, it just saves them over the originals..... Very simple.....

Man, I am just having no luck here......

I downloaded Dragon editor (zip version), but when I tried to open it up, I got a message saying the file was invalid or corrupted.

Try to download it again....

I have the same problem with the Gnome Editor...

Proud

Been to: