Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

Default Re: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

Aha. I found a way to get a second set of factions into a requirement line in constructing a building, but it still isn't nearly what I would like. The "or" apparently will keep two things together, so this would work:

buildingalpha requires factions { greek_cities, romans_brutii, } or factions { parthia, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads roads

I had been unable to get any second grouping of factions to work. So one set can have no requirements, while the second set has some. But this doesn't do a lot, as I was wanting to have different sets for multiple different factions. If anyone has any idea how to achieve this, please let me know. But the above appears to work. The first two factions have no requirements, and work immediately, but the last one, parthia, has to have roads built first before it will be buildable. But once they are constructed you could build it.

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Thanks for posting your findings on this, could I ask you to post it or attach (edit) it to your last post at the 'complex conditionals for capabilities and buildings' thread at:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...?postid=642173 which I link to from the EDB Guide?

I will update this all at some point ;)

Thx. again. This is the sort of stuff that needs to be known!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Default AW: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

Hello!

As it's not in the guide, I'll post it here:

"trade_level_bonus" only affects land trade. Though I'm not 100% sure, I think a trade level bonus of 1 is equivalent to a road level bonus of 1 concerning income. The difference is that there is no limit of 2 as with "road_level". This could be useful to make land trade more significant compared to sea trade, but it needs further testing. Just my two cents.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Default Re: AW: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

According to what I've heard, trade_level_bonus gives +10% to land trade per level, whereas roads 1 gives +100% and roads 2 gives +200%.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Default AW: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

OK, I did another test with RTR:

I gave trade_level_bonus 1 to the academy and started a campaign (M/M) with the Romans. The trade income projected in the settlement details scroll was 707 both when I added the academy or paved roads to the queue.

del. Sorry
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 12-30-2005 at 02:07.

The Modding Community may wish to know that I have found a little time to update The Complete EDB Guide to include a small section toward the end on simpler Multiple Temples and how to disable the destruct button for buildings.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50439

Dol Guldur aka Palantir, Coding Manager: Fourth Age R & D

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    The Modding Community may wish to know that I have found a little time to update The Complete EDB Guide to include a small section toward the end on simpler Multiple Temples and how to disable the destruct button for buildings.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50439

Dol Guldur aka Palantir, Coding Manager: Fourth Age R & D
    Thanks a lot for the info.

One question though: Does adding the hinterland prefix make buildings undamageable, either?

I assume you mean in the case of riots. I have never seen a building destroyed in a riot - only damaged - though I have not looked into this.

As you know, fixed undestroyables such as government buildings can be damaged right down both in the campaign and the battle-map level - but they cannot be destroyed. Again, I have not researched this side of things to give you any accuracy on the matter.

Any testing and research would be appreciated of course, though I think it serves its purpose as is (as far as I am concerned).

I'm getting some very strange results when testing the use of hidden_resources as a requirement for buildings in 1.5. I can't get any of it to work correctly. If the game has been changed from 1.2 to 1.5 to make it where buildings can't have hidden_resources as requirements, then I will tear all of my hair out I think.

Teleklos,

I have been following your challenges. I am working on an EDB which has been significantly modded (by me) - new buildings, levels removed, levels added..blah blah blah and currently around 44 declared HRs some of which have been used as building conditionals. I have noticed none of the problems you have been having. That is in BI 1.6. We are going to look into porting the current map (and thus the edb) into R:TW 1.5 and will let you know if the buildings do not behave themselves. I am not sure how long this will take as it is but a side project.

Have you been able to determine if these errors occur outside of your own installations? That is, if you send the files to another on your team does the same thing occur even when their game generates the rwm?

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    Have you been able to determine if these errors occur outside of your own installations? That is, if you send the files to another on your team does the same thing occur even when their game generates the rwm?
    I think it is not a problem in rwm generation.
    I'm using the same map.rwn generated more than one month ago and I'm changing buildings in edb and descr_strat, as well as units in edu and descr_strat, without apparent problems.
    Yesterday, I eliminated six paralel missiles buildings, each one with 4 levels. All the missiles were substituted in descr_strat by barracks, and the campaign worked perfectly with the same rwm.

The problems would come if you change descr_regions, by adding or deleting hidden resources, as this file is used in the map.rwm generation.
    AFAIK map.rwm is generated from the files present in base folder, not from those in imperial_campaign (or barbarian_invasion in case of BI).

Another person on the team tried to insert this simple building also, with one hidden resource requirement ("river" - as it is a river port building). Sure enough, the building was able to be built in every single province in mine, but his just automatically CTDs. I guess I just have to recopy all my files and start from a fresh 1.5 build. But I was almost at that to start with - and I think these are the only changes I've made - but I do feel like the problem has to do with my not understanding the way the map generation now works. It seemed so easy in 1.2, but now with the different subdirectories I don't know how to handle it. I've not seen a map.rwm in the imperial_campaign directory yet - and I didn't quite understand monkwarrior's method of creating a rwm file using the prologue (was that right?) and then copying it over(?). Sorry to be a pest about this issue, but there is definitely something that has changed here from 1.2 to 1.5 and I just have to figure out how it applies to the mod files we have. It's too bad changes that were introduced here were not explained really. But you guys are giving me hope that there is a way around it (I just don't see what it is yet) .

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    - and I didn't quite understand monkwarrior's method of creating a rwm file using the prologue (was that right?) and then copying it over(?).
    I'll do my best with my poor English.

First: I always work with JSGME. I mean, each change is done "outside" the game, then the mod is activated, I try the modded game and once I exit the game, I deactivate the mod.
    Thus, I need a map.rwm in the modded imperial_campaign, just to substitute the vanilla one. If not, I would get instant CTD as the files don't match with map.rwm.

Imperial_campaign: the files are divided in two folders, base and campaign\imperial_campaign. In base folder you have all the files needed for rwm, but I'm not sure if the game is able to generate one in that folder.

Provincial campaign (not the prologue one): I create a new folder in campaign, named as you want (e.g. Data\world\maps\campaign\Teleklos), and I copy all the files in base and in campaign\imperial_campaign. Thus, I've created a provincial campaign named Teleklos. It is necessary to copy, and paste imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt in text folder and rename the copy as Teleklos_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.
    Just to complete the work, open campaign_descriptions.txt (also in text folder), copy all the names and descriptions of factions of the imperial_campaign and rename them. Example:
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_TITLE}Campaña en Hispania
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_CARTHAGE_TITLE}Los cartagineses
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_CARTHAGE_DESCR}¿Quién podría vaticinar que, cuando Dido,...

{TELEKLOS_TITLE}Campaña en Hispania
    {TELEKLOS_CARTHAGE_TITLE}Los cartagineses
    {TELEKLOS_CARTHAGE_DESCR}¿Quién podría vaticinar que, cuando Dido,...
    After doing all these changes, you have a complete provincial campaign.
    Activate the game, start the provincial campaign "Teleklos" and in the folder Data\world\maps\campaign\Teleklos the map.rwm corresponding to your campaign will be generated.
    Now it is enough copying this file and pasting in Data\world\maps\base folder of the mod.

This is the method I use to generate new rwm files.
    If you don't modify any file in Data\world\maps\base, the file doesn't need to be changed. (98% sure )

Good luck!

Ok, it seems like that I can do a simple test adding a hidden resource to a vanilla RTW 1.5 building. It seemed to work correctly with limited testing. Here is what I did.

Ok, here is the simplest way I can think to try out what I'd like to do:

1. I just take the vanilla (totally vanilla) 1.5 files, and open up export_descr_buildings.txt. I insert into the list of hidden_resources a new HR called "not_here".
    2. I insert "and hidden_resource not_here" into the requirement line of the three greek theater complex levels.
    3. I also reduce the minimum city level to village just to test this out.

I started the game up and it looks like it works. I can't build this in any of my cities now playing as "Greek Cities". Now, onto the second part of the test:

1. I open up descr_regions.txt and put "not_here" as a new resource into the "Rhodes" province only.
    2. Without doing anything else, I try to boot up. It loads up the game successfully. But unfortunately it doesn't recognize the new hidden_resource (in descr_regions.txt) yet. I can't build the theaters anywhere, including in Rhodes.
    (3. This would *seem* to indicate that the game is just checking the map.rwm file, and hasn't recognized the changes I made in descr_regions.txt.)

So, the next step:
    1. I delete the map.rwm file that is inside the "base" subdirectory.
    2. Without doing anything else, I try to boot up. This time it works. I can build the odeon in Rhodes, but nowhere else.
    (3. Also, it was a little slower loading up this time right when I hit the "Start the Campaign" button - like it maybe was generating the map.rwm file then.)

This would seem to indicate that *using the buildings already in the game* that hidden resources will work very simply like this.
    But then I inserted an extremely simple building into the mix. One that has worked flawlessly in 1.2 for us.

Code for export_descr_buildings.txt
    Code:
    building hinterland_precursor1
    {
        levels precursortype1
        {
            precursortype1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_here
            {
                capability
                {
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_here
                }
                construction  1
                cost  0
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins
        {
        }
    }
    Code for export_buildings.txt
    Code:
    {hinterland_precursor1_name}
    Precursors for Type1 Governments

{precursortype1}	Homeland Government Resource
    {precursortype1_desc}
    This is a marker that this faction can develop a Homeland Type of Government in this province. "Building" this precursor does not produce the benefits of a Homeland Government. It simply indicates that the process required for it can now start by allowing the construction of the actual, functional Government building. Keep in mind, however, that if any other government building, even a damaged one, is present in this province, this will not be possible. The Homeland Government will not become available for construction, even the if the precursor is in place.
    {precursortype1_desc_short}
    The possibility for a Homeland Government exists for this faction.
    The only requirement here is for the already tested "not_here" hidden resource. So, I:
    1. Inserted the code above into the edb.txt and eb.txt files.
    2. Deleted the map.rwm file in the base subdirectory.
    3. Booted up the game.

This time, at the same point I hit the "Start the Campaign" button, it is generating the map.rwm file - and pauses for a couple of seconds - and then it KTM's (kicks me back to the new game menu). I can immediately select "main menu" and then go back to the "new game menu" and then to the "imperial game menu", but this time it doesn't have to pause when I hit "Start the Campaign", but instead it very quickly KTM's.

So it seems like the game can generate a new map.rwm when the old one is deleted in the base folder if only new hidden resources are added. But when a new building is added, it can't generate a new map.rwm. That's one way of interpreting what I saw at least - though it might not be correct.

Is my mistake that I'm trying to alter the imperial campaign folder? Do we have to only use provincial campaigns for mods now, like monkwarrior showed how to do?

Again, I can't see the difference with the piece of code I posted yesterday.
    The name of the building was new (barbarian_defenses) and also the only level (wall_tech). Moreover the requirement was a new hidden_resource.
    I've done a quick search, just to see if I had put the building in other files, but it only appears in the script and in those related with advice, because there is one new advice thread about the new building.

Sorry if I insist too much, but... is it allowed the use of { all, } in 1.5?
    Did you include also the building cards? That wasn't necessary in 1.2 (the roman barracks appeared), but I don't know in 1.5.

When I converted the mod from 1.2 to 1.5, the campaign was a provincial one. Firstly I transformed the mod and, when the campaign was fully functional, I converted it to the imperial_campaign.

I don't know if this is the only way, but it was the way it worked for me.

P.S.: usually the KTM problems give an error message using -show_err. Do you have any?

-Well, I made a UI tree and did include graphics for that precursor1.tga building, in the roman set. But I don't know if that's enough or if they have to be unpacked or something. Again this would be a good place to have some more information about the differences have been introduced into 1.5, but I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that has a really good list of changes like this. It didn't seem to help though from what I could see.
    -I expected an error message with the KTM, but I got nothing - no error messages at any time, even though I am using showerr.
    -Hmmm. You appear to be right about the "all" thing though. I'm still testing...

edit1: Well, "all" can work on core buildings. So maybe it's tied to the need for building graphics somehow. Gah.

edit2: Now I have added the precursor building and it loads if I only use "roman" in the building requirements line instead of "all", *&* I put images in a new tree under a UI folder with the roman precursor images in it. So I would now say all the problems seem to stem from a requirement of including building images in a UI tree for each new building. I have tested the hiddenresource and the building now appears to only be buildable in a roman province with that HR. Still - the new images aren't showing up in the game itself, just the roman barracks. Gah. But even though they aren't actually showing up, if I remove the images (and make no text changes), it won't even load - it just KTM's. So just having them there at least gets it to create the map.rwm, but I suppose you'll have to pack them to get them to show up.... Further testing - no, this is wrong. It still loads up if I remove them. I'm so tired of messing with this damn thing...

I thought I had a really good handle on what was going on with edb.txt and eb.txt in 1.2, and now I absolutely have no clue what is happening here in 1.5. This is absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't have just gone all stupid all of a sudden, or at least that seems unlikely. Why did things get so difficult now? Was the intent to make things harder on modders? Does anyone claim that 1.5 is now easier? If it is would they point me to some explanation? I'm just very frustrated right now.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 02-14-2006 at 17:55.

In BI a KTM is experienced if you try to add Carthaginian as a culture to the faction requirements of a new building OR to some vanilla buildings (or levels thereof).

The latter problem is solved by modding the descr_ui_buildings.txt to allow the carthaginian folder to look to other folders.

I have not discovered a way to solve the first problem so I make sure carthaginian always uses the default trees for its buildings. >>> Nikolai solved this later on in this thread...(by changing the DUB file)

I really do not think your problem lies with new buildings or hidden resources, but with the cultural element - but it is interesting that this worked for you in previous versions of R:TW.

In this regard, has anybody worked out what the listing of the alternative temples in descr_ui_buidlings.txt actually does? I played around with it but it did not seem to really matter what I did with it ;)
    Last edited by Dol Guldur; 02-17-2009 at 11:51.

Some stuff from ages ago which I forgot to add when i got dragged away from Rome by life.

1) "not" conditions on building conditionals can prevent them displaying in the building browser and can cause a problem with graphics display through some kind of related effect.

So a condition like "and not hidden_resource desert" might prevent the building showing in the building browser. Adding a hidden-resource e.g "arable" to all the non-desert regions and changing the condition to "and hidden_resource arable" makes the building appear correctly.

There does seem to be a relation in some circumstances between things going wrong in the building browser and other building issues so i think having the building browser display as correctly as possible is a good sign that you're going to avoid other problems.

2) Building icons displaying correctly.

The initial vanilla factions seem hard-coded to one of the culture types. Inside the pak files are folders for each of the culture types. This means that for example whatever faction you turn the romans_julii faction into in your mod that faction will always look in the Roman folder first for it's building graphics. You can make the game look in other folders as well by using lines in the descr_ui_buildings.txt in the data folder. This has lines like:

eastern barbarian
    carthaginian eastern
    carthaginian egyptian
    greek roman

and makes factions associated with the first culture type look in the folder of the second culture type for building graphics if it can't find a specific one in its own culture folder.

For modding projects it seems to me to be very worthwhile to pair off your new factions with the old in such a way as to keep the numbers in each culture group the same for ease of redirecting these folder swaps.

Vanilla:
    7 factions associated with barbarian culture type
    3 factions associated with greek culture type
    3 factions associated with eastern
    3 roman (4 including senate)
    2 carthagian
    1 egyptian

So for a simple example if you had 7 orc factions, 3 human factions, 3 elf factions, 3 dwarf factions, 2 hobbit factions and an ent faction then make sure you make your new factions on the corresponding vanilla one to make the number of factions in each of your cultural groups match the vanilla numbers e.g use the seven barbarian faction slots for your orcs. Then you can put all your orc buidings in the barbarian folder.

If there were nine orc factions and no hobbits then you could use the vanilla barb + carthaginian cultural factions and still have your orc buildings in the barb folder with a line in the descr_ui_buildings.txt file like:

"carthaginian barbarian"

to make the orc factions built on the carthage and numidia faction slots get their buildings from the barb folder.

This simplifies things and has an impact on some wierd graphic display bugs.

3) Something else i've totally forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Other stuff.

I was just patching the vanilla game to have a look at teleklos' problem and noted the descr_ui_buildings.txt is no longer in the data folder after patching to 1.3. So it may have all changed with later patchs.

I haven't got to patching to 1.5 yet, though if there have been changes here there might *possibly* have been changes to how the program parses the building conditionals.

I would definitely wonder if Teleklos' problem might simply be the "not" in the hidden resource "not_here". Maybe another word without the "not"?

A bit unlikely I guess.
    It's not a map.

Also, when i tested it trade bonus increments gave a 10% bonus to both land trade and sea export but not sea import.

The tax bonuses are in increments of 1%.
    It's not a map.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolai1962
    2) Building icons displaying correctly.

The initial vanilla factions seem hard-coded to one of the culture types. Inside the pak files are folders for each of the culture types. This means that for example whatever faction you turn the romans_julii faction into in your mod that faction will always look in the Roman folder first for it's building graphics...
    That has changed in RTW 1.5.
    The new descr_sm_faction allows you change the culture assignation of each faction. From that moment, the buildings icons change to the new culture.
    I tested with thrace, changing it to eastern, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for looking at this nik. I did try another word other than not_here (just one word without the underscore) but it didn't help the situation.

Thanks for looking at this nik. I did try another word other than not_here (just one word without the underscore) but it didn't help the situation.
    I guessed it would be too easy to be true. I haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet as my antique pc won't let me run Rome any more but if i manage to fix my pc i'll try.
    It's not a map.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere on this thread or the guide but I haven't been able to find it. Basically I want to know whats the limit on buildings a settlement can have built at anyone time. I'm not getting any appearing on the settlement browser after twenty four and I'm getting a problem with the UI buildings_constructed images in the settlements where 24 have been exceeded. So I'm guessing thats the limit. Just wanted to know if any of you modding genius' could confirm or contradict this...
    in advance

Do we know exactly what the loyalty bonus does for buildings? I think public order benefits are assumed, but I don't suppose anyone has done much testing of this, have they?

I have tested it under a number of basic conditions and although it reports a public order bonus (with no "due to" qualifier) it does absolutely nothing to the stats or displays in the settlement scroll details.

It does nto affect public order at all. It does not lessen corruption. It doesn't do anything! (tested under BI 1.6)

Kali: I've never had 24 building threads for a single faction so I cannot tel you of any limits. Sorry. I've had about 16 I think. That works.

Kali: I've never had 24 building threads for a single faction so I cannot tel you of any limits. Sorry. I've had about 16 I think. That works.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Dol Guldur,
    I've made a mod that adds nine new buildings to any RTW game, But I've been testing it on RTR6.3 with DMC which has a lot of extra building threads (and is probably bugged as i've had some strange issues with whited out UI cards) However the limit seems to be 24, as after that they disappear of the browser but reappear if a building is destroyed. Might be a useful bit of info for your guide or maybe not... Excellent guide BTW
    Last edited by Kali; 02-23-2006 at 21:23.

I'm getting some very strange results when testing the use of hidden_resources as a requirement for buildings in 1.5. I can't get any of it to work correctly. If the game has been changed from 1.2 to 1.5 to make it where buildings can't have hidden_resources as requirements, then I will tear all of my hair out I think.
    Updated edit after re-testing in a more systematic way.

Vanilla RTW patched to 1.5 completely unmodded in any way.

Key:
    D&R stands for deleting map.rwn file in the data/world/base folder and generating a new one by starting a new campaign.

KTM stands for kicked back to menu i.e when starting new campaign, select faction, click arrow to proceed then get get bounced back to menu preceding the faction selection.

~~~

Added "aaa, bbb, ccc, ddd, eee, fff, ggg, hhh, iii, jjj, kkk, lll, mmm, nnn, ooo, ppp, qqq, rrr, sss, ttt, uuu, vvv, www, xxx, yyy, zzz" to the resource list for umbria in descr_regions.

(Added to original list of pottery, olive_oil, wine, slaves, dogs, pigs, italy)

D&R -> KTM

Added "aaa, bbb, ccc, ddd, eee, fff, ggg, hhh, iii, jjj, kkk, lll, mmm, nnn, ooo, ppp, qqq, rrr, sss, ttt, uuu, vvv, www, xxx, yyy, zzz" to the resource list at the top of the EDB.

D&R -> Success.

So one kind of KTM error is caused by having hidden resources in the regions file that aren't matched in the list at the top of the EDB.

Added "and hidden_resource zzz" to requirements for practise_field. Started campaign (without D&R) and practise field buildable in ariminum (umbria) but not arretium.

D&R just to check -> Success.

So no problems adding and using new hidden_resources in 1.5

~~~

deleted all changes to regions and EDB file. D&R -> Success.

~~~

Added

building hinterland_precursor1
    {
    levels precursortype1
    {
    precursortype1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_here
    {
    capability
    {
    agent diplomat 0 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_here
    }
    construction 1
    cost 0
    settlement_min village
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

to bottom of EDB file then removed hidden_resource requirement and diplomat recruitment to test the factions { all, }.

added the building text from teleklos' earlier post to building text file.

Started campaign without D&R. Campaign loaded. Precursor building available in the construction screen *but* weird error where all provinces had a base fertility of zero. Noticeable in this case as pop growth displayed as negative. Possibly missable in other circumstances if testing changes by looking at a settlement with a smaller pop size.

Removed precursor building from EDB. Started campaign (without D&R). Fertility back to normal.

Put precursor building back in but changed faction requirement from "all," to "roman,". Started campaign (without D&R). Fertility fine.

D&R -> Success.

Changed requirement back to "all,". D&R -> KTM.

What this shows is that you can have EDB errors which don't stop the game loading or give show_err errors on exit *if* you have the map.rwn file generated from before you added the error. The building edits you made may all seem to work fine (and maybe they do) but the error may affect the way the game loads/parses the building file and lead to seen or unseen side-effects somewhere else. Re-generating the map.rwn file catchs errors that can be missed otherwise.

This may be obvious to experienced modders but I personally only ever used to regenerate the map.rwn when i made changes to the regions or strat files as I didn't think the map.rwn had anything to do with the building files. So basically you could have made an error weeks earlier but not notice it until either you need to regen the map.rwn or you notice the error later and think it is related to a more recent change.

~~~

Added "and hidden_resource italy" to requirements for precursor building (used pre-existing hidden_resourceas as test).

Game loaded fine, precursor buildable. D&R fine.

Added not_here to resource list at top of EDB.

Changed requirement from italy to not_here.

Game loaded fine without D&R, precursor not_buildable.

D&R. Fine. Precursor not buildable.

nb. You can have hidden resources in the EDB list that aren't in any regions in the regions file.

~~~

So I'd recommend re-generating the map.rwn file regularly when editing the EDB file so you'll know it was a recent change that caused the problem.

~~~

edit on carthaginian problem adding new buildings in 1.5.

In BI a KTM is experienced if you try to add Carthaginian as a culture to the faction requirements of a new building OR to some vanilla buildings (or levels thereof).
    Same in 1.5. Adding carthaginian as a faction in the required condition of a new building will give a KTM if no map.rwn and a crash otherwise (sometimes) or weird errors (sometimes).

The basic problem is carthaginian has two lookup variants in the descr_ui_buildings.txt. Removing either one of these will make new buildings work fine (although you may need to move some of the vanilla buildings carthage needs from egyptian to eastern or the other way round depending on which lookup variant you remove). A workaround to this problem if you need carthaginian to have two lookup variants is to create a UI/CARTHAGINIAN/BUILDINGS/CONSTRUCTION folder in the game data folder and add a bunch of tga files for the new buildings.

Other factions show the same problem if you add multiple lookup variants.

Having "all" as a faction requirement works fine. It was just the carthaginian problem in disguise as all includes carthaginian, (though it took me ages to realise it).
    Last edited by nikolai1962; 03-11-2006 at 12:43.
    It's not a map.

Removing building blocks

(Tested in 1.5, 1.2 may be different)

If you have a lot of building blocks and want to remove some of the vanilla ones then you can.

Say you want to remove the missiles block to free up one of the 64 building blocks (adding the missile troop recruitment to the barracks buildings), the steps are:

1) comment out all the lines for the block in the EDB.
    2) delete all the pre-placed missile buildings in descr_strat.
    3) comment out the triggers in the ancillaries that use missile buildings as conditions (master of archers and siege_engineer in this case).
    4) comment out the building construction advice threads and triggers in export_descr_advice.
    5) comment out the references and the whole layout block for missile buildings in descr_settlement_plan.
    6) comment out the slot_missiles lines in all the relevant files in the data/settlement_plans folder. These are roman_large_town.txt, roman_city.txt etc for the various cultures and city sizes.

In 1.5, show_err works well in pinpointing all these errors.

Edit: need to redo this some time in a completely un-modded version of 1.5 with some systematic testing as there may be related errors to doing this which don't show up with show_err.
    Last edited by nikolai1962; 03-04-2006 at 02:33.
    It's not a map.

I really should be able to work this out but I'm a bit stumped...

I am trying to use the building_present_min_level conditional for the recruitment of a unit. It works in the first level of barracks but when I copy that exact same line to the second level of barracks the game CTDs without an error message right at the end of the campaign loading bar.

It does not, through testing, seem to be related to the tier or assigned settlement level of the conditional building.

Anyone experienced this? (BI 1.6)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast