Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

I have coded quite a number of EDB files and have probably been doing it longer than most, and I cannot say I have ever observed any issue with CTDs regarding format - or lack of load speed. I should add that I've coded some pretty long and complex ones too ;)

Regarding roads, it's possible they have been nullified by the flooding bug perhaps - though I think iirc that also stops you from building them - they'll be some posts on it somewhere. It usually is noticed when watchtowers cannot be built. I've never observed this (probably because I do not build watchtowers or be observant enough ; ) though.
    Last edited by Dol Guldur; 08-22-2009 at 22:48.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur View Post
    I have coded quite a number of EDB files and have probably been doing it longer than most, and I cannot say I have ever observed any issue with CTDs regarding format - or lack of load speed. I should add that I've coded some pretty long and complex ones too ;).
    In our (RTR VII FoE) EDB we've got some pretty complex systems as well... With the total EDB running to 13840 lines.

Many (30-40%) lines of it looks like this:
    Code:
    population_growth_bonus bonus 4 requires factions { numidia, } and not building_present_min_level base_government numidia_govt_2 and hidden_resource liby_phoenician and hidden_resource capital and hidden_resource aor_africa_numidia and hidden_resource liby_phoenician and not hidden_resource special_hr_1 and hidden_resource not_greek_mac and building_present_min_level core_building governors_palace and not building_present_min_level core_building proconsuls_palace
    And I've not experienced the slightest bit of lag compared to vanilla RTW... Were would the lag appear? During the campaign or when loading?

Last edited by PatricianS; 08-24-2009 at 00:43.

RTR VII Developer

And I've not experienced the slightest bit of lag compared to vanilla RTW... Were would the lag appear? During the campaign or when loading?
    No, idea - my mods load superfast

That's a long conditional line, but even with multiple capability lines (where tabs/spaces could be more of an issue) I have not observed anything.

I have coded mainly in BI.

I haven't experienced any problems directly related to tabs either. But about the time I learned of this, SubRosa of Amazon: Total War was having some problems implementing factionwide bonuses to mimic wonders. After I told her about this, and she replaced the tabs with spaces, the coding worked. I figure that it isn't that hard, depending on how much you care about exact spacing, to replace all tabs with spaces and if it fixes that one rare problem it's worth it.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

It must kick in when you do something excessive with tabs then, so few people experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    I haven't experienced any problems directly related to tabs either. But about the time I learned of this, SubRosa of Amazon: Total War was having some problems implementing factionwide bonuses to mimic wonders. After I told her about this, and she replaced the tabs with spaces, the coding worked. I figure that it isn't that hard, depending on how much you care about exact spacing, to replace all tabs with spaces and if it fixes that one rare problem it's worth it.
    What I always do is:

- copy a tab
    - press Ctrl + H (to open the replace function)
    - paste the tab in the first input box
    - type four spaces in the second input box
    - click "replace all"

and you're done in two seconds while you still have the exact spacing...
    Last edited by PatricianS; 08-26-2009 at 16:03.

RTR VII Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur View Post
    It must kick in when you do something excessive with tabs then, so few people experience it.
    I think it must be so primarily, as I said, I have never experienced personally.

Quote Originally Posted by PatricianS View Post
    What I always do is:

- copy a tab
    - press Ctrl + H (to open the replace function)
    - paste the tab in the first input box
    - type four spaces in the second input box
    - click "replace all"

and you're done in two seconds while you still have the exact spacing...
    That is mostly what I did; however, depending on the circumstances, the tabs may have taken less than the full four spaces.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Well, my mod loads slowly due to my com, its only P4 2.1 GHz, with 2 GB ram, and the external hard drive I used to load my backup game directly was connected to the old USB 1.0 port, so I'm not really alarmed that it loads so slowly, to the extent that I am adverse to testing it... i.e. an error takes about 1 min to be detected, but even if it loads properly without error I'm not that relieved either because it takes so long to enter.

Regarding tabs, I have actually used less spaces, probably 1 to 2, to segregate the codings instead of 3 to 4 spacings. Hopefully it doesn't lead to any other problems in the future...
    Last edited by lim_lucky; 08-29-2009 at 09:32.

Some interesting research being done in this thread, the upgrades possibilities are intriguing. One problem I've been having is the seeming impossibility of getting rid of a building in an individual region after it's been built, short of the player manually destroying it for non-hinterland.

Has anyone found a way to destroy a building in an individual settlement without player interaction? Or even just throw it back to level 1?

I've tried both a number of variants for the set_building_health console command, but no matter how much health hits you lump on the building can still be repaired. Furthermore I've tried making the upgrades of buildings circulating, so that under unachievable conditions the last building can upgrade into the first, effectively 'destroying' all upgrades. The create_building command doesn't seem to take kindly to being told to create a building which is lower on the list though, from cursory testing. And then there's click simulation, but I'm not aware of any way to select a specific building in the ui, so that's pretty much a dead end.

This might not seem that useful for buildings which represent well, buildings, but it's important realistically for buildings that represent anything else, such as policies. This is especially true in games with multiple human players. For instance, if you wanted to represent a regional 'laws' system and Rome captured a Gallic settlement, you wouldn't inherit the development of law in the region, as Gallic and Roman law differ and need to be built up separately.

One fix is of course to use multiple building trees for different factions or culture groups and just null the bonuses on the other ones. But the problem is that uses a lot of building trees, which to my understanding you can only have 128 of. Another solution would be to upgrade it to an unused 9th building which is essentially "Loot" and has no bonuses, which would prompt the player to destroy it for the monetary return. Both of these are clunky solutions though, which is why I'm curious if anyone has solved the problem of destroying(or at lead "downgrading") individual buildings in specific settlements.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

In RTW, unlike M2TW, there is no way to delete a building. The only command that might be able to select a building card is the select_card, but I've tried and never actually got it to work. That being said to effectively destroy a building, but you could script it so that everyturn, after some event, the buildings health is set to 0, that means that it will always be useless even if the player rebuilds it.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    In RTW, unlike M2TW, there is no way to delete a building. The only command that might be able to select a building card is the select_card, but I've tried and never actually got it to work. That being said to effectively destroy a building, but you could script it so that everyturn, after some event, the buildings health is set to 0, that means that it will always be useless even if the player rebuilds it.
    Well there's no way to do it in M2 either that I'm aware of. Kingdoms has the destroy_buildings scripting command, but that destroys all buildings factionwide in the chain, which has some noticeably stupid effects if you try to re-create them across all settlements, such as initial recruit pool #s being applied. So that's only an option for some things, not that many.

The setting to 0 thing seems like it would just annoy a player, I'd opt for the 9th-level loot building before trying that since it's less obtrusive.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    One fix is of course to use multiple building trees for different factions or culture groups and just null the bonuses on the other ones. But the problem is that uses a lot of building trees, which to my understanding you can only have 128 of. Another solution would be to upgrade it to an unused 9th building which is essentially "Loot" and has no bonuses, which would prompt the player to destroy it for the monetary return. Both of these are clunky solutions though, which is why I'm curious if anyone has solved the problem of destroying(or at lead "downgrading") individual buildings in specific settlements.
    Does that work? When I tried adding buildings by script (which I assume is needed as player isn't going to voluntarily upgrade to useless building) it just added the new scripted building at same time as keeping old one, even though they were in same tree.... also found that scripted additions would happily add more duplicate versions of same building in same tree, if allowed to

my problem was under alex.exe in RTW - M2 might be different, have you definitely got this to work in either?

Only way around getting captured enemy buildings to work negatively and properly for human player without messing up AI that I found was, make separate provincial campaign for each possible playable faction, give each descr_region entry in that factions campaign a specific resource. Re-code EDB so that when the player's (only playable) faction in that campaign holds the 'wrong' building they get the appropriate neg bonuses and are forced to destroy it / get interesting choice of possible good trait emerging versus. temp bad effects etc...

that works a lot better if you don't have more that half dozen factions ...:P
    Last edited by Makanyane; 09-24-2009 at 20:20.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane View Post
    Does that work? When I tried adding buildings by script (which I assume is needed as player isn't going to voluntarily upgrade to useless building) it just added the new scripted building at same time as keeping old one, even though they were in same tree.... also found that scripted additions would happily add more duplicate versions of same building in same tree, if allowed to

my problem was under alex.exe in RTW - M2 might be different, have you definitely got this to work in either?
    I'm not really all that sure. From testing it I'm getting the same results you were getting though. Something curious is that when you create a building through the console it seems to completely screw up the buildings you can create. It's like the game creates a new temporary tree for the building to exist in which interferes with the main tree but is somehow built up separately. Seemingly the only way to get it back to recognizing only one building path then is to destroy all buildings of that type in the settlement. They even have a nifty greyed-out building effect that is applied when you're trying to upgrade to a building you already have in the settlement, which makes you wonder why they bothered making it read right graphically rather than just fixing some seriously bad functionality.

Only way around getting captured enemy buildings to work negatively and properly for human player without messing up AI that I found was, make separate provincial campaign for each possible playable faction, give each descr_region entry in that factions campaign a specific resource. Re-code EDB so that when the player's (only playable) faction in that campaign holds the 'wrong' building they get the appropriate neg bonuses and are forced to destroy it / get interesting choice of possible good trait emerging versus. temp bad effects etc...

that works a lot better if you don't have more that half dozen factions ...:P
    Yeah that's definitely one thing I've thought about before. It also would allow for other things such as more of a scripted campaign start. The problem with that for me though is it doesn't carry over to hotseat, and I'd say that's my biggest hurdle right now is trying to make some of these scripts and systems work in a hotseat game. It's easy when you can assume that if the player doesn't own it then it's owned by the AI, but that gets quite a bit more difficult when you factor in an undisclosed number of player factions. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

are you actually doing this for RTW? I ask because I'd seen you mainly in M2 forums.....

if you were doing it in M2 I think you could script the event_counters used for building effect requirements so they switch on or off according to who is local player at the time... or do the effects not calculate until overall (slave) end turn, and not each faction's end turn?
    Download the:

are you actually doing this for RTW? I ask because I'd seen you mainly in M2 forums.....

if you were doing it in M2 I think you could script the event_counters used for building effect requirements so they switch on or off according to who is local player at the time... or do the effects not calculate until overall (slave) end turn, and not each faction's end turn?
    No it's for M2(though the query is for both, since this is a RTW thread) and yeah I'm aware of that, but I'm more talking about the buildings themselves rather than the capabilities, which is why the initial question was for either platform is it possible to destroy an individual building in an individual settlement. The answer right now seems to be no, which is unfortunate but expected. I'll figure something out.

As for when the effects calculate, I'm not entirely sure but that's something I wish I knew more about. I've noticed odd things when I did tests with recruit pools, but it's harder to observe for some of the other effects so we have to just hope it checks and applies them all at the same time. Whether or not the data is applied at turn end effective for the next turn, or it's just data which is saved, or it's all done at turn start, and whether or not the Kingdoms "PreFactionTurnStart" preempts this or not, are all things I wish I knew for certain.

I've read up on complex building capabilities before, and I recently downloaded RTR VII Fate of Empires and had a glimpse of this building code:

Code:
    upgrades
    {
    metal_mine1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_used
    metal_mine1 requires factions { counter_faction, mini_faction, britons, } and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { counter_faction, mini_faction, britons, } and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { rome_republic, } and building_present_min_level roman_govt roman_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { rome_republic, } and building_present_min_level roman_govt roman_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { carthage, } and building_present_min_level carthage_govt_B carthage_govt2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { carthage, } and building_present_min_level carthage_govt_B carthage_govt2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { epirus, } and building_present_min_level epirote_govt epirote_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { epirus, } and building_present_min_level epirote_govt epirote_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { gauls, } and building_present_min_level keltoi_govt kelt_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { gauls, } and building_present_min_level keltoi_govt kelt_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { spain, } and building_present_min_level iberian_govt iberian_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { spain, } and building_present_min_level iberian_govt iberian_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { numidia, } and building_present_min_level base_government numidia_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { numidia, } and building_present_min_level base_government numidia_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    }
    metal_mine1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials3 metal_mine3 or factions { all, } and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials3 precious_metal_mine3
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    I'm curious as to why the building code had factions { all, } and ... or factions { all,} and ... because I read up a post a few years back that stated it would not work for the second set of building conditions.

For the life of me I can't find where the discussion occured (old age is rearing its ugly head again) but I was involved in a conversation over which file (descr_regions.txt or descr_strat.txt) took precedence for the ability to use resources in EDB. I can now absolutely confirm that the resource entries in DS matter and must be accurate. In RS 1.6 the Numidia region appears to have an elephant resource in it (located on the shore of a lake) and has elephant listed in the descr_regions.txt entry for the region. There are two elephant units that are recruitable in regions with an elephant resource, but these units are not recruitable in the Numidia region. The reason was that if you did a show_cursorstat on the tile with the elephant on it the elephant was not actually in the Numidia region (it was in the lake/sea region). Making no other change except to move the elephant resource in descr_strat into the Numidia region fixed the missing recruitment bug.

Here's the link to the thread where the discussion took place: Elephants not recruitable in Numidia
    Last edited by Squid; 12-14-2009 at 19:33.

erm, I think the distinction is that 'hidden_resources' have to be specified in descr_regions to work and normal 'resources' have to be in right location in descr_strat to work...

so if EDB wants
    'and resource elephants'
    elephants need to be in right region location co-ordinate in descr_strat as you described

but if it wants
    'and hidden_resource rome'
    then 'rome' just needs to be in descr_regions...

or if you added "elephants" to top hidden_resources list of EDB you could use
    'and hidden_resource elephants'
    with it in DR only

CA somewhat confused things by adding things that only really needed to be descr_strat 'resources' to descr_regions too....
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-15-2009 at 23:35.
    Download the:

Yes that's exactly what I meant I was talking about resources not hidden_resources. I mention it because many mods put resources into descr_regions.txt when it appears to be unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by lim_lucky View Post
    I've read up on complex building capabilities before, and I recently downloaded RTR VII Fate of Empires and had a glimpse of this building code:

Code:
    upgrades
    {
    metal_mine1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource not_used
    metal_mine1 requires factions { counter_faction, mini_faction, britons, } and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { counter_faction, mini_faction, britons, } and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { rome_republic, } and building_present_min_level roman_govt roman_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { rome_republic, } and building_present_min_level roman_govt roman_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { carthage, } and building_present_min_level carthage_govt_B carthage_govt2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { carthage, } and building_present_min_level carthage_govt_B carthage_govt2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { epirus, } and building_present_min_level epirote_govt epirote_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { epirus, } and building_present_min_level epirote_govt epirote_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { gauls, } and building_present_min_level keltoi_govt kelt_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { gauls, } and building_present_min_level keltoi_govt kelt_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { spain, } and building_present_min_level iberian_govt iberian_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { spain, } and building_present_min_level iberian_govt iberian_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    metal_mine1 requires factions { numidia, } and building_present_min_level base_government numidia_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 metal_mine2 
    metal_mine1 requires factions { numidia, } and building_present_min_level base_government numidia_govt_2 and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials2 precious_metal_mine2
    }
    metal_mine1 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource metal and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials3 metal_mine3 or factions { all, } and hidden_resource metal and building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials3 precious_metal_mine3
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    I'm curious as to why the building code had factions { all, } and ... or factions { all,} and ... because I read up a post a few years back that stated it would not work for the second set of building conditions.
    Obviously "requires factions { all, }" isn't needed since the result is always true, it just looks better to have a "requires factions { x, }" I guess :P

Though since we did add the faction requirement, it seems logic to me that it has been added two times. Because the "or" in that line, splits the requirement in two parts. Meaning that if you would only have one faction requirement, the first part of the requirement does have a faction requirement, while the second part (after the "or") wouldn't have a faction requirement. I didn't get any errors or something with it, so even if it does get ignored, it's always true anyway... So who cares? :)

RTR VII Developer

Quote Originally Posted by PatricianS View Post
    Obviously "requires factions { all, }" isn't needed since the result is always true, it just looks better to have a "requires factions { x, }" I guess :P

I didn't get any errors or something with it, so even if it does get ignored, it's always true anyway... So who cares? :)
    =D ok. Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to know whether there was something 'new' so that it could be of some use for EDB.

Question Re: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

I'm kinda in jam with the game, after I modded the EDB file to allow spain, carthage, numidia, and some of the greeks to have a more fair tech tree (Spain not being forced to recruit only crappy slingers and (expensive upkeep) peltasts, along with other similar changes), RTW CTD's before I even get to the main menu . I tried to fix the EDB file to its original state but the game keeps crashing! Is there anything I did wrong with the file? (The parts shown are the parts that had been modified and then "fixed".)

Code:
    building barracks
    {
        levels muster_field militia_barracks city_barracks army_barracks royal_barracks 
        {
            muster_field requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian city millita"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "barb infantry briton"  0  requires factions { britons, } 
                    recruit "barb infantry dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb infantry gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "warband spear german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "barb horse archers scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian city millita"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian javelinmen"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east infantry"  0  requires factions { eastern, } 
                    recruit "egyptian nubian spearmen"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite militia"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "roman city militia"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                }
                construction  2 
                cost  600 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    militia_barracks
                }
            }
            militia_barracks requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
    		recruit "carthaginian infantry"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "warband sword briton"  0  requires factions { britons, } 
                    recruit "warband sword gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "warband axe german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "warband axe scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "warband falx dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian infantry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian desert warriors"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east hillmen"  0  requires factions { eastern, } 
                    recruit "egyptian nile infantry"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek levy pikemen"  0  requires factions { seleucid, macedon, } 
                    recruit "warband falx thracian"  0  requires factions { thrace, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman hastati"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman infantry auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  3 
                cost  1200 
                settlement_min large_town
                upgrades
                {
                    city_barracks
                }
            }
            city_barracks requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, armenia, pontus,, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "spanish scutarii"  0  requires factions { spain, }
                    recruit "barb warguard gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb warguard briton"  0  requires factions { britons, } 
                    recruit "barb warguard dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "warband dhaxe german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "warband axe scythian"  1  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian medium infantry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian desert warriors"  1  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east heavy infantry"  0  requires factions { armenia, } 
                    recruit "east hoplite"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "egyptian infantry"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek pikemen"  0  requires factions { thrace, seleucid, macedon, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite elite"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman hastati"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman infantry auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman princeps"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  4 
                cost  2400 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                    army_barracks
                }
            }
            army_barracks requires factions { carthaginian, armenia, pontus,, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
    		recruit "carthaginian medium infantry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian heavy infantry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian legionaries"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east hoplite brazen shield"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east legionary"  0  requires factions { armenia, } 
                    recruit "egyptian elite guards"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite"  1  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek royal pikemen"  0  requires factions { macedon, } 
                    recruit "greek silver shield pikemen"  0  requires factions { seleucid, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite spartan"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, }  and hidden_resource sparta
                    recruit "greek bastarnae"  0  requires factions { thrace, } 
                    recruit "roman princeps"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary first cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and hidden_resource rome and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman triarii"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary cohort ii"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman praetorian cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  6 
                cost  4800 
                settlement_min large_city
                upgrades
                {
                    royal_barracks
                }
            }
            royal_barracks requires factions { seleucid, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian infantry"  3  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian medium infantry"  2  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian heavy infantry"  1  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian legionaries"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east hoplite brazen shield"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east legionary"  0  requires factions { armenia, } 
                    recruit "egyptian elite guards"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite"  1  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek royal pikemen"  0  requires factions { macedon, } 
                    recruit "greek silver shield pikemen"  0  requires factions { seleucid, } 
                    recruit "greek hoplite spartan"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, }  and hidden_resource sparta
                    recruit "greek bastarnae"  0  requires factions { thrace, } 
                    recruit "greek argyraspid"  0  requires factions { seleucid, } 
                    recruit "roman legionary first cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and hidden_resource rome and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman triarii"  1  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary cohort ii"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman legionary first cohort ii"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and hidden_resource rome and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman praetorian cohort urban i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman praetorian cohort i"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  7 
                cost  9600 
                settlement_min huge_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }
    building equestrian
    {
        levels stables cavalry_barracks hippodrome circus_maximus 
        {
            stables requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian warhounds"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian cavalry"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "barb cavalry gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb cavalry german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "barb cavalry dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb cavalry scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "barb wardogs briton"  0  requires factions {  britons, } 
                    recruit "barb wardogs dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb wardogs gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb wardogs german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "barb wardogs scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian cavalry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "numidian cavalry"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east cavalry"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east horse archer"  0  requires factions { armenia, parthia, } 
                    recruit "egyptian cavalry"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek light lancer"  0  requires factions { macedon, } 
                    recruit "greek cavalry"  0  requires factions { seleucid, thrace, greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman medium cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman light cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman wardogs"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                }
                construction  3 
                cost  1200 
                upgrades
                {
                    cavalry_barracks
                }
            }
            cavalry_barracks requires factions { spain, scythia, germans, gauls, dacia, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian medium cavalry"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "barb noble cavalry gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb noble cavalry german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "barb noble cavalry dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb scythian nobles scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "barb noble horse archers scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian medium cavalry"  0  requires factions { carthaginian, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian elephant forest"  0  requires factions { carthage, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "numidian camel riders"  0  requires factions { numidia, }  and resource camels
                    recruit "east heavy cavalry"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east persian cavalry"  0  requires factions { parthia, } 
                    recruit "east cataphract archer"  0  requires factions { armenia, } 
                    recruit "egyptian nubian cavalry"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek cavalry"  0  requires factions { seleucid, thrace, greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek medium cavalry"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "greek elephant small"  0  requires factions { seleucid, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "roman cavalry auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    recruit "roman light cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman medium cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  4 
                cost  2400 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                    hippodrome
                }
            }
            hippodrome requires factions { carthage, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek_cities, macedon, seleucid, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian elephant forest"  0  requires factions { carthage, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "carthaginian elephant african"  0  requires factions { carthage, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "numidian camel riders"  0  requires factions { numidia, }  and resource camels
                    recruit "east cappodocian cavalry"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east heavy cataphract"  0  requires factions { armenia, parthia, } 
                    recruit "east elephant"  0  requires factions { parthia, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "egyptian cleruch"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian bedouin"  0  requires factions { egyptian, }  and resource camels
                    recruit "greek cavalry"  0  requires factions { seleucid, thrace, } 
                    recruit "greek elephant small"  0  requires factions { seleucid, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "greek heavy cavalry"  0  requires factions { macedon, } 
                    recruit "east heavy cataphract"  0  requires factions { seleucid, } 
                    recruit "greek elephant african"  0  requires factions { seleucid, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "greek incendiary pigs"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman light cavalry"  1  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman heavy cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman pigs"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    stage_races 1 requires factions { roman,}
                }
                construction  6 
                cost  4800 
                upgrades
                {
                    circus_maximus
                }
            }
            circus_maximus requires factions { carthage, parthia, macedon, seleucid, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian elephant african"  0  requires factions { carthage, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "carthaginian elephant african cataphract"  0  requires factions { carthage, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "carthaginian royal cavalry"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "east cappodocian cavalry"  0  requires factions { pontus, } 
                    recruit "east heavy cataphract"  0  requires factions { armenia, parthia, } 
                    recruit "east elephant"  0  requires factions { parthia, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "east camel cataphract"  0  requires factions { parthia, }  and resource camels
                    recruit "egyptian cleruch"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian bedouin"  0  requires factions { egyptian, }  and resource camels
                    recruit "greek heavy cavalry"  0  requires factions { macedon, } 
                    recruit "east heavy cataphract"  0  requires factions { seleucid, } 
                    recruit "greek elephant african"  0  requires factions { seleucid, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "greek royal cavalry"  0  requires factions { seleucid, macedon, } 
                    recruit "greek elephant cataphract"  0  requires factions { seleucid, }  and resource elephants
                    recruit "greek incendiary pigs"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman light cavalry"  2  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman heavy cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman praetorian cavalry"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman pigs"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    stage_races 2 requires factions { roman,}
                }
                construction  7 
                cost  9600 
                settlement_min huge_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }
    building missiles
    {
        levels practice_field archery_range catapult_range siege_engineer 
        {
            practice_field requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
    		recruit "carthaginian peltast"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "barb peltast gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb peltast german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "barb slinger briton"  0  requires factions { britons, } 
                    recruit "barb archer dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb archer scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian peltast"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian archer"  0  requires factions { numidia, } 
                    recruit "east peltast"  0  requires factions { armenia, pontus, } 
                    recruit "east slinger"  0  requires factions { parthia, } 
                    recruit "egyptian peltast"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian slingers"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek peltast"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "roman velite"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman light infantry auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                }
                construction  3 
                cost  1200 
                upgrades
                {
                    archery_range
                }
            }
            archery_range requires factions { spain, scythia, germans, gauls, dacia, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian slinger"  0  requires factions { spain, } 
                    recruit "warband archer german"  0  requires factions { germans, } 
                    recruit "warband archer dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "warband archer scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "warband huntsman gaul"  0  requires factions { gauls, } 
                    recruit "barb ballista dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb onager dacian"  0  requires factions { dacia, } 
                    recruit "barb onager scythian"  0  requires factions { scythia, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian slinger"  0  requires factions { carthaginian, } 
                    recruit "east archer"  0  requires factions { eastern, } 
                    recruit "egyptian archer"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek archer"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "greek ballista"  0  requires factions { macedon, greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman light infantry auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman archer"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and not marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman archer auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman ballista"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                }
                construction  4 
                cost  2400 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                    catapult_range
                }
            }
            catapult_range requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian onager"  0  requires factions { carthaginian, } 
                    recruit "east onager"  0  requires factions { eastern, } 
                    recruit "egyptian archer elite"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian onager"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek heavy peltast"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek onager"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "roman archer auxillia"  0  requires factions { roman, }  and marian_reforms 
                    recruit "roman scorpion"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    recruit "roman onager"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                }
                construction  6 
                cost  4800 
                upgrades
                {
                    siege_engineer
                }
            }
            siege_engineer requires factions { carthage, egyptian, macedon, greek_cities, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit "carthaginian onager"  0  requires factions { carthaginian, } 
                    recruit "carthaginian heavy onager"  0  requires factions { carthage, } 
                    recruit "east onager"  0  requires factions { eastern, } 
                    recruit "egyptian archer elite"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian onager"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "egyptian heavy onager"  0  requires factions { egyptian, } 
                    recruit "greek heavy peltast"  0  requires factions { greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "greek onager"  0  requires factions { greek, } 
                    recruit "greek heavy onager"  0  requires factions { macedon, greek_cities, } 
                    recruit "roman scorpion"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    recruit "roman onager"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    recruit "roman heavy onager"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                    recruit "roman repeating ballista"  0  requires factions { roman, } 
                }
                construction  7 
                cost  9600 
                settlement_min huge_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }

What does -show_err say is the error on exiting?

There is no error message shown when RTW CTDs, it just crashes before the intro movie of RTW is played.

Add " -show_err" at the end of your RTW shortcut's target line, so that it looks like this (path may differ):

Code:
    "D:\Games\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Smile Re: The Complete EDB Guide - discussion

Oh man, I was a big doofus, the err message told me i misspelled militia . Anyway I got RTW fixed and perfectly running now, thanks Aradan and Squid! By the way, do you know if its 100% possible to modify any of the recuitment buildings to recruit different units for different factions without the game slapping you like it did to me?

Yes, it's very much possible. You may find this tool useful: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2559

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

I do not know if this has been mentioned already,but trade_level_bonus works,as in it gives +100% to your trade per each 1 point. I tried it albeit via ALEX.exe. Data here I saw suggests only 1% per point,but I got 100% .

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The trade increases I saw in EB1 were fairly negligable, so I don't think it's a 100% per level either. Maybe it's an Alex-thing?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789