Thread: Is this possible

Default Is this possible

Now I'm sort of new to RTW but it doesn't seem possible to have like 5 provinces and already have 220,000 denarii. You think they got a special preview version with a cheat for money or is this really possible? I mean like 50 years have passed in their game but how could they have so few provinces after that many turns and so much money. They must have just been sitting there doing nothing. I just started and chose Julii so maybe it's different for the faction they chose. I don't know.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/....html?page=137

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: Is this possible

Its no differnt every faction starts with the same amount of money. It is possible to have that much money, they have just been sitting on their provinces building up their economy. Its a strategy that works, but is to boring for me.

Grand Warder of the Woods Member TonyJ's Avatar

From what I remember, the Brutii are an incredibly rich faction from the outset because of the provinces they control.

It's the complete opposite with the Julii (my favourite faction ) as they really, really struggle for cash early on.

Hate to think what sort of corruption hit those settlements are taking with that size treasury mind !!
    May the wind be ever at your back and the sun ever on your faces. May your sword lie light in your hand and heavy in the memories of your enemies

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

yes the Brutii are the richest of the Romans, still only because they have quick expansion possibilitys to greech and Asia-Minor.

However on that pic. they do not seem to hold really rich provinces , only thapsus, and Libyum ( sp ? city on Sicily ) and thermon,and their italian city's- at least that is what I can make out from the screenshot.

So the only thing what they could have done , is cheat , or just built economic structures only - and / or just have very very small army's.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

It is possible if use looting tactics ( exterminate population in enemy's city and then withdraw troops to raid another enemy's province ) and sell maps ...

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

It's the temples. Brutii gets the one that increases trade income. Couple that with diplomacy (keeping peace & trade rights with other factions) and the Denarii just come pouring in.

I played a Numidian campaign (Mundus Magnus mod) where I built lots of temples to Milqart (icreases trade) and always built bazaars and ports to my cities first. Once I got to a point that I had destroyed Carthage & Iberians and forced peace with Romans, my income just exploded. I had 1,6+ million Denarii when I begun my "war" against the Ptolemaic empire and after I bribed away most of their armies and cities, I still had over 1 million left. Really, my diplomats were an unbeatable weapon

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

If ever we can do multiplayer strat games I sense spies and assasins will be big.

Very big.
    KZ
    "A positive attitute may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Herm Albright

Well, you answered your own question when you said they just sat there and did nothing. Over fifty turns, you make a lot of money, but if you are like most players, you spend it quite quickly. One way to think of it is that there are thousands of people who work all their lives & if you add up the total amount of money they earned over the years, it could be millions of dollars, but at no one time in their life did they have more than at most, $10,000 in the bank. They spent it as quickly as it came. Also, so far as I can see, RTW economics are more advanced, meaning that you can really bring in the dough if you are clever.
    Fee Fi Fo Fum, I got in me veins the blood of an Englishman, Welshman, Saxon, Anglo, Scotsman, Picti, Irishman, Norman, and a bloody heathen Viking. No joke!

This idiotic message brought to you by a person with a pure "British" family tree. If it settled on the British Isles, its on my tree tree, except Romans. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by British Mutt + Viking
    Well, you answered your own question when you said they just sat there and did nothing. Over fifty turns, you make a lot of money, but if you are like most players, you spend it quite quickly. One way to think of it is that there are thousands of people who work all their lives & if you add up the total amount of money they earned over the years, it could be millions of dollars, but at no one time in their life did they have more than at most, $10,000 in the bank. They spent it as quickly as it came. Also, so far as I can see, RTW economics are more advanced, meaning that you can really bring in the dough if you are clever.
    Yeah, but I just can't see anyone sitting around for 50 turns. It would be boring and there is not point to do that. In real life there is a reason to save money but in RTW there really is no reason to have a big treasury. It should be spent on a better army so that you can crush more factions. Whenever my treasury got above 20k I would start churning out a bunch more units until the upkeep evened out. I could have 10 full armies going around taking new provinces. There's really no point in hording money in RTW.

I have about a dozen full-stacks running around in my RTR game, with more units being built every turn in my various training centers (ex: Sparta-Corinth-Athens) and I still make a profit every turn.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

The reason you may do it in RTW is to speed the actual time you play up.

Sit around for 50 turns,

During your turn the only thing you do is send out diplomats and build trade facilities. End Turn. Rinse and repeat.

You then have a large amount of cash and heirs to go and fight with.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.