Thread: Smoking makes one look old?

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Smoking makes one look old?

I have been hearing that smoking is really bad for your youthfulness. Is this true? Is there any scientific data for this?

Thanks.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: Smoking makes one look old?

well,

*teeth get yellow
    *skin wrinkles

so, yes it makes you look old.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I think it has something to do with your body getting alot less oxygen.
    I remember reading however, that oxygen is what makes the body age. It was an article suggesting that people who do less exercise but behave themselves live longer than those who do lots of exercise because of the increased oxygen intake causing ageing. Who knows.

I'd say smoking causes ageing because of the increased stress it puts on the heart and lungs to keep you alive. When your heart is struggling to pump out enough blood and your lung capacity is durastically reduced, the strain this puts on your body will probably cause ageing. Also, the chemicals in cigarettes poison the skin and smoke in general will damage your skin.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Smoking gives you shortness of breath, hacking cough ... neither of which come across as youthfull and energetic. They also increase the chances of impotence and the erect penis length to decrease...

Plus the standard allotment of cancers...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

it's also bad for your furtility(sp?)

But at least it makes you look cool.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

One of the main reasons that smoking makes you look older is that most of the chemicals in tobacco smoke are vaso-constrictors, which makes the blood vessels constrict.

This greatly reduces the flow of blood to the skin, which in turn reacts by drying out, changing color, wrinkling, and otherwise dying, which makes you look less healthy.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dâriûsh
    But at least it makes you look cool.
    it does!?
    :starts smoking:

It also makes you smell.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Smoking releases a lot of free radicals which are supposed to promote cell aging...

...and even if it doesnt make you old it makes your 'Johnson' disfunctional before you turn 50 , so even if you look 25 its not like you can take advantage of it...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Out of all of you, Ichi had the responce I was fetching for.

So I want to ask something again. How do the chemicals get in your skin? Just by breathing the smoke, or is it just by being around it, it has that effect?

If someone has smoked for 10 years heavily, do the signs of aging reverse?

If someone smokes only one light cigarette week, does that have any real effect on the aging process? This question interests me because I do that.

Thanks.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

smoking;

*increases the chance for Cancer ... ALOT
    *you can get COL (Cronical Obstructive Loungdieses) (bad spelling?) wich mean you have to walk around with a Oxygen Tube in the end.
    *its a sign of stupidity, people think your bumb, you DO NOT look cool.
    *You smell awfull
    *kissing you is like licking an ashtray
    *you damage the people around you through passive smoking

need I go on?

DO NOT SMOKE! *curses and insults in swedish and waves is fists around*
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Remember any sort of respirtation releases free radicals by the bucket load.

Breathing really does kill you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    How do the chemicals get in your skin?
    GC got it right, the smoke enters the blood and the blood delivers it to all of your organs, the largest of which is your skin.

Just by breathing the smoke, or is it just by being around it, it has that effect?
    Secondhand smoke has the same chemicals as the smoke that you suck into your lungs. Secondhand smoke has been shown to be carcinogenic

If someone has smoked for 10 years heavily, do the signs of aging reverse?
    The body begins to heal itself within 48 hours, but some functions take years to recover. For example your carbon monoxide level returns to normal 8-10 hours after smoking. The skin can recover, but aging also plays a factor. It probably never recovers fully.

If someone smokes only one light cigarette week, does that have any real effect on the aging process? This question interests me because I do that.
    Studies show that smoking one cigarette each day is sufficient to negate the benefits of not smoking (eg you produce mucous at a higher rate than non-smokers, your intestines are irritated, etc)

The problem with smoking once a week is that you are failing to make the critical decision, which is that smoking is stoopid and you aren't going to do that.

Trust me on this, until you make a firm decision you are dancing with a slow painful death.

ichi

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    Studies show that smoking one cigarette each day is sufficient to negate the benefits of not smoking (eg you produce mucous at a higher rate than non-smokers, your intestines are irritated, etc)
    Well so once a week, and with *extra mild* cigarettes like the one I smoke(I have never smoked normal ones, but I have smoked a lot of cigars) wouldn't really have any effect at all?

The problem with smoking once a week is that you are failing to make the critical decision, which is that smoking is stoopid and you aren't going to do that.
    Lol, stoopid?
    I don't understand your philosophy, but that's just because I'm very different from the normal person you might percieve me to be.

Trust me on this, until you make a firm decision you are dancing with a slow painful death.
    Hopefully.

Blog Entries

hmmm... makes you think, my great grandmother has been smoking since she was 16 years old... she's 99 and almost 100 years old and has easily shown as much vitality as someone 20-30 years younger than herself. Maybe some people are more immune (or in her case) virtually immune to it, although very few people would be, and it's not a risk I would be willing to take. Of course I smoke a victory cigar once and awhile... but it's more for occasional fun (like Jet Skiing or Para-Sailing), not habitual whatsoever. On the Other Hand, my "step sister" has been smoking for 4 years, and could easily pass as being ten years older than me, yet I am 3 years older than her. Smoking is bad m'kay.

Lol, stoopid?
    I don't understand your philosophy, but that's just because I'm very different from the normal person you might percieve me to be.
    ROTFLMAO

Soz, lost my head there for a sec.

Let's just say that I know a whole lot of peeps who wish they never started, and I know of no one who is glad they did. I'm sure such people exist, but I'm confident they are either in denial or want to die.
    Last edited by ichi; 07-28-2005 at 03:55.

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    ROTFLMAO

Soz, lost my head there for a sec.

Let's just say that I know a whole lot of peeps who wish they never started, and I know of no one who is glad they did. I'm sure such people exist, but I'm confident they are either in denial or want to die.
    I'm not glad I did, because there's no reason to, I didn't really gain anything from it. But I did it out of my own free will. I decided that if the law allowed me to do so I should go and practice that right to the extent I feel is good enough for me. And so I did. I really don't care about other people.

Death and even pain does not concern me. I refer you here:
    Quote Originally Posted by BP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichi

Hopefully.
    What concerns me is my looks. I'm a very vain person you see.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    What concerns me is my looks. I'm a very vain person you see.
    All evidence points to smoking being very bad for your skin. Don't forget, when you breathe in or blow out the smoke, the #1 receptor for second-hand smoke is your face. Nobody's getting the tar and chemicals so much as your pretty-boy face.

If you're going to smoke, do it for the nicotine high and the appetite suppression. It does nothing for your looks. (Note that this lemur smoked for ten years until spawning progeny. Heard a rumor that smoking around a baby was not good, so I quit.)