Thread: Btw , why 1569 ?

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Default Moders - Btw , why 1569 ?

Sorry , I know its probably been asked before
    Last edited by caesar44; 08-01-2005 at 09:25.
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Smile Re: Btw , why 1569 ?

Dear moders , the decision to start the mod in 1569 , why ? what happened then ?
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Btw , why 1569 ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1569

I'd say because "Poland and Lithuania are united in the Union of Lublin. They form Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. "

Smile Re: Re : Btw , why 1569 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1569

I'd say because "Poland and Lithuania are united in the Union of Lublin. They form Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. "

Ok , but what thats got to do with the decision ? Thanks

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default Re: Btw , why 1569 ?

It is about OiM TW mod I presume.
    PMTW2 will start its campaign in 1480 and there will be the second one starting in 1572.

You see. Union in Lublin shaped the entire eastern Europe for centuries and OiM TW places 4 polish factions in place of the roman families - so the date is fully justified.

Besides the effects of this union can be seen even today if you observe eastern european policy in recent years well enough ;))

So , the Polska - lithuania union ? OK , thanks
    Btw , you can see the P-L union in maps for the 15 cen' also !

Yes, but Poland-Lithuania became in fact a republic after the union and the death of the last Jagiellonian king in 1572.

It was very similar to Roman republic with Jan Zamoyski almost the Polish Julius Cesar, even the name of the country Rzeczpospolita meant republic ( Rzeczpospolita is also present name of polish state ( after the fall of comunism in 1989) and was before the 2nd WW as well

Regards Cegorach

You know , almost all the mods in the TW series are Western European oriented , it is a surprise for me to see a mod that is based on an Eastern European "trigger" like the union of 1569

OiM TW is mainly created by people from Ukraine and Russia - I myself am not very important to its creation.

To me it was more suprising that the name of the mod is in Polish - Ogniem i Mieczem TW - there were no Poles involved for quite a long time...

Anyway the mod will be great and PMTW2 will profit from the work of OiM team as well.

Besides the West has to rediscover history of countires like Poland, Hungary, Ukraine etc. see older publications from 70s for example or present documentaries there are only about western - central ( Germany) Europe + some stereotipical images of Russia. The entire incredibly diverse eastern part of the continent is almost historical-political vacuum to some people.
    For example someone once claimed that we are using cyrylic ( eastern-slav) alphabet in Poland which is like mentioning that Canada is using Spanish as the official language

Agreed .
    You know , because the Poles are Catholics , I thought them to be non-slavonic ... shame on me but I am sure (???) that the lithuanians are not .

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caesar44
    Agreed .
    You know , because the Poles are Catholics , I thought them to be non-slavonic ... shame on me but I am sure (???) that the lithuanians are not .
    I doubt the Lithuanians were slavonic.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Lithuanians are not Slavs, but Grand Duchy of Lithuania was half-Belorusian iit is considered by Belorusian patriots ( not this hitler Lukashenko) to be early Belorus state shared with Lithuanians.

Nonetheless 1st Polish Republic was a multinational country so there was a huge number of various nations - like in modern USA today.

@cesar44

Slavs - Poles, Slovenians, Slovak, Croats - catholic,
    Czechs - atheistic - but earlier catholic,
    Belorussians, Ukrainians, Russians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Montenegrans, Macedonians - orthodox, but there are large groups of catholic and unionist believers,

Russia might be orthodox, but overall the Slavs are not.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach1
    Lithuanians are not Slavs, but Grand Duchy of Lithuania was half-Belorusian iit is considered by Belorusian patriots ( not this hitler Lukashenko) to be early Belorus state shared with Lithuanians.

Nonetheless 1st Polish Republic was a multinational country so there was a huge number of various nations - like in modern USA today.

@cesar44

Slavs - Poles, Slovenians, Slovak, Croats - catholic,
    Czechs - atheistic - but earlier catholic,
    Belorussians, Ukrainians, Russians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Montenegrans, Macedonians - orthodox, but there are large groups of catholic and unionist believers,

Russia might be orthodox, but overall the Slavs are not.

Yes , most of the Russians are Orthodox-Pravoslavic (sp) , the Greeks are Orthodox but not Pravoslavic .