Thread: How do you exclude a battle from a historcial Campaign??

STW crashes ( back to desktop) when I am playing the scond battle in the mongul campaign. Does anyone know how to exclude or skip a battle in campaign mode? I have tried to changing the hcf file ( putting //) but when I reload the game, the campaign vanishes from the menu.

Any help is welcome

whoops, read first, post later

[This message has been edited by Khan7 (edited 06-10-2002).]

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

Changing the hcf file is only one step.
    // is good but you need to tell the file that the total number of battles is decreased too.

Then you need to edit appropriate BDF files: it tells which battle is next, remove it.

The Ikki scenario has a 'full' readme about editing Historical Campaigns, a full scenario and a short example to illustrate. http://www.totalwar.org/maps/hc.shtml

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I originally had no problem with any of the historical campaigns. Last week I tried to play one again and the same thing happened to me (2nd Ieysu battle). I found a thread over at the Support forum at www.totalwar.com that discussed this very issue. The problem appears to be related to patch 1.02beta. Therefore I reinstalled the original MI/WE and the battle did not crash. I suggest you do the same while you are playing the HCs and then re-install the 1.02beta patch after you are done.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

And because I'm unwilling to start a thread for this....Tosa I've played the Ikki campaign and it became stuck after Slay Ikki 1, initially it went to a final showdonw battle (which I didn't play at the time) but when I next started the game there was no way to select any future battle. I won the first one, lost message, won Slay Ikki 1. Tried going back through without any results. Any suggestions?

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

I had the same problem. I lost that battle, but when I tried to replay it again it was blanked out.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

Historical campaigns are linear: play the first battle, repeat until you beat it, second will get unlocked, play the second until you beat it etc.

Ikki is a branched campain. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, the 'story' goes on, but the chapters will be different.

When Ikki was made, it appaered that STW would allow this, and it will, but not perfect. I ran into a few flaws myself.

A branched campaign implies that decisions need to be made which chapter will be the next.
    Thus winning a battle would result in chapter A, winning a battle but losing the daimyo would result in chapter B, losing it would result in chapter C. Some battles have 10 of such branches.

There's an order in which you must declare the branches, otherwise some will never be triggered.

When you play the last battle of a Historical Campaign, all battles from that campaign get unlocked, same applies to Ikki. If you read the entire book, the optional chapters get unlocked too. A weird thing is that when you play an optional chapter, some/many battles will/might disappear again.

I haven't run into what you described, I can continu the scenario another day. I can imagine that you have such problems though.

I just discovered that Slay Ikki 2 in Message should be Slay Ikki 1 (1 is near impossible hard and makes more sense in the story). I 'fixed' it and ran into the same problem as you do. That makes me believe that more branches do not work as they should (it 'will' if you read the whole book in one go though). I've played every single battle, read different versions of the book and tried some branches, but not every possibility.

You can play each battle individually by copying all directories with content from:
    battle/batinit/Historical Campaigns/Ikki to:
    battle/batinit/Historical Battles

The .hcd file keeps track of which battles are completed and look like this:

!

A poor practice ihmo. A user can do nothing there. Games like UT have normal text files that configure things like progress in single player. It's up to the player if he wants to cheat, edit or restore after a system crash. I don't consider hex editing an open system.

It's also impossible to save a battle, some battles in ikki might cost you 1 hour (per attempt) to complete (if you want to win them). A .hcd file like this makes more sense:

BattleName::"Shiro ga Michi" Victory Unlocked
    BattleName::"Message" Victory Unlocked
    BattleName::"Assassination" Defeat Unlocked
    BattleName::"Slay Ikki 1" In Progress

BattleName::"Slay Ikki 2" Locked
    BattleName::"Kawa no Ike" Locked
    BattleName::"Invaders1" Locked
    BattleName::"Invaders2" Locked

Once a battle is unlocked it should stay unlocked until the user resets it, or the designer dictates so.

If there's interest, I'll make a map visualising the branchings, so that one could play the single battles as if it were a scenario.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I've got round to setting up all the battles and it would be useful to have the branchings Tosa- although don't bother if it's any trouble.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Please create the map of branchings, it would also help others to develop their own historical campaigns
    thanks,
    B

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.