Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

In the console type:
    toggle_fow

Oddly enough, even though the Romans don't have any garrisons - if the AI control them they only lose a few provinces to rebellion.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

toggle_fow in the ` menu (I don't know what you call it, but that's what you press to get to it).
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

The alpha does seem pretty stable...I've played about 20 years with no crashes yet. Takes a while for factions to build up armies, but it sure was fun to actually get to fight legionaries.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

EB Pointless Extras Botherer Member VandalCarthage's Avatar

One of you guys needs to play as the Indo-Greeks, and tell me what it's like My comp is out for repairs until hell freezes over.
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

I'll give it a shot...though it was fun to play as the Seleukids and use their units etc, and not have to deal with 80 provinces (an exaggeration, I know).

thanks for the code, and yeah it is surprisingly playable for an alpha release, am looking forward to upcoming developments.
    "Once upon a time, on the internet there was a guy, a very deeply flawed man, they called him Eric Bauman..." -www.ebaumsworldsucks.com

This project looks very promising. Promising enough, in fact, that it compelled me to post here, for the first time in a while.

I've been playing the alpha release a little bit. It is obviously incomplete, but it looks like you're making some good progress already.

One of you guys needs to play as the Indo-Greeks, and tell me what it's like My comp is out for repairs until hell freezes over.
    I played them for a few turns. All I can really tell you, is that they lose money very, very rapidly at the start of the game. Their armies are in good position to take 2-3 new provinces though, so it's not tough to improve the situation.

I found taking Takh... whatever it's called... to the Indo-Greek north quite a challenge with the starting Indo-Greek army nearby. With a lot of effort I managed to throw Antialcidas' troops from the walls after a long, hard fight and then sent the elephants in who messed up a couple of his phalanxes - but it all took far too long and night fell before I could move my tired forces up to take the square.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Press the ~ button.
    Then [type toggle_fow] without the brackets, and press enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    I found taking Takh... whatever it's called... to the Indo-Greek north quite a challenge with the starting Indo-Greek army nearby. With a lot of effort I managed to throw Antialcidas' troops from the walls after a long, hard fight and then sent the elephants in who messed up a couple of his phalanxes - but it all took far too long and night fell before I could move my tired forces up to take the square.
    I waited until the last turn of the siege. They "sallied" at this point, and I was able to defeat them. The elephants are a big help. I lost quite a few men though.

Beautiful Thank you guys! Have any of you hit the Parthians or Yuezhi yet?

Though I did give Rich the stats for those armies, one thing I'm considering if it's viable later on, would be to set the Northern guys up with some Sakae cavalry mercs and give Antialkidas a larger Indian contingent.
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

I'm still playing the Seleukids. And wow, I didn't realize how deadly the Roman cav could be. So now my most promising general (3 stars, 4 when attacking, age 20) is lying dead in the grass outside Ipsos.

At least he'll be properly buried, unlike the 3000 other dead. I love the idea of this late period. Its a shame most games don't last long enough to see those beautiful Roman units.

I played until the winter of 98 BCE with the Romans. Unfortunately, I've encountered a CTD when ending this turn, so I can't play any further right now. I haven't looked into what's causing the problem at all, because errors like that are, I think, very hard to track down.

If I wanted to help with things like province distribution, family members, troop levels etc, which files contain that sort of information?
    Last edited by paullus; 04-19-2006 at 05:20.

How do I install it?

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    If I wanted to help with things like province distribution, family members, troop levels etc, which files contain that sort of information?
    Pretty much everything being changed is in the descr_stat file.

Quote Originally Posted by nic
    How do I install it?
    Use the JGSME - link in sig.

Thanks. I look forward to progress with this project.

I've been working on putting proper armies and rulers either in cities or in the field in the eastern med area of the map. I have a couple of questions:

1, how do I figure out the x, y coordinates? EDIT: nevermind, I realized I could get them from the EB strat
    2, who should control Sidon? I have Antiochos Kyzikenos in the field, his son Antiochos in Damaskos, but I don't know who should control Sidon.
    3, is there a list somewhere of the proper entries for unit names, eg "rebel pantodapoi" so that I don't put in names that will not work?
    4, are you ok with giving Side in Pamphylia to the Seleukids? They clearly controlled the city a little before and a little after 107, so they probably controlled it in 107 as well, do you think?
    5, has someone else already done this since the alpha came out, such that I am now just wasting time?

Thanks for the answers!
    Last edited by paullus; 04-22-2006 at 13:37.

I handled the city arrangements for most of the Hellenic factions, and believe me, it was fairly time-consuming determining the exact extant of each Seleukid competitor. The information is there, but none of my authors elected to make it easy and just come out and say "Antiochus controlled X, Y, etc..." It's been a while, and right now my mind is occupying itself by sorting occassionally through the 40+ Greek Kings of India, since their faction is my pet here, but if I recall correctly Sidon had been granted it's independence (the army is there because most everything else was under Antiochus) in 111, like other Phoenician cities would be later. Regarding Pamphylia, I could see putting a small mercenary band in the East. After the Romans defeated the Seleucids, they were restricted to a tiny segment of Eastern Pamphylia, perhaps including Aspendus (where Grypus resided in 110 when he needed to refresh his mercenary forces from the environs). Side however had been independent here for a bit, being under the influence of pirates and that sort, eventually becoming a massive center for the Mediterranean slave trade under the Cilicians.

True, Antiochos controlled Aspendos, not Side. My apologies for getting that wrong. On the other hand, Aspendos is only a day's march from Side, and the whole area saw several battles in the time after the two Antiochos's died. So do you think it would be better to put the small merc band there, or just give it to them?

Similarly with Sidon, Antiochos Kyzenikos controlled Tripoli and most of the land south toward Samaria, only he didn't control Sidon, or, Tyre (I think). So should I put one of his lieutenants in Phoenicia, but not in Sidon itself? What should go in Sidon then?

Hi paullus, Great that you're interested in helping out, especially as I don't have the time I used to. I'm following VandalCarthage's lead when it comes to province distribution and I'm pretty happy with all the factions provinces at this time.

Armies and general locations and so forth, though, have only been set around the Indo-Greeks/Baktia.

The traits of generals and buildings/population in settlements are both completely open as well.

--- Best way to find map co-ordinates BTW is to bring up the console and type
    show_cursorstat
    when your mouse is over the tile you want the coordinates for. It'll tell you the coordinates of each.

True, Antiochos controlled Aspendos, not Side. My apologies for getting that wrong. On the other hand, Aspendos is only a day's march from Side, and the whole area saw several battles in the time after the two Antiochos's died. So do you think it would be better to put the small merc band there, or just give it to them?
    Well, Side is the concern, and since they didn't control it, there's no reason to give it to them. What's more, the area of Seleucid control in the Pamphylia of EB's map, would be miniscule. So, a small band plopped a little within their border would best represent the small Macedonian and mercenary garissons that held it.

Similarly with Sidon, Antiochos Kyzenikos controlled Tripoli and most of the land south toward Samaria, only he didn't control Sidon, or, Tyre (I think). So should I put one of his lieutenants in Phoenicia, but not in Sidon itself? What should go in Sidon then?
    Same situation as Side. He appears to have controlled the countryside, but the Phoenician coastal cities like Tyre and Sidon, as well as a number of small city-leagues, were independent of his control. Since these cities were really the lifeblood of the region, they're independence is the best thing to represent. Eventually I imagine we'll be able to associate cities like this with one or another faction to make things more interesting though.

All of this stuff will certainly becovered later on though, so no worries

That makes sense. Perhaps I can find an inscription from Sidon for a general's name, and I'll put a small force under one of Kyzikenos' lieutenants in the countryside. I've also put Hyrcanos in Jerusalem, and one of his sons in command of an army in northern Judea. That sound ok?

And what sort of units would belong in Side if it was controlled by people associated with piracy? peltasts? akontistai? sphendonatai?

Some of our Cilician units should garisson Side, once they've been designed.

Yeah, I thought maybe some slingers could work as placeholders, and then a smattering of other units. Any chance the Kilikians might be in with .8? Should Side just stay empty until they do come on line?

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

Been playing the alpha and I've had some problems with the Ptolemaioi they don't seem to like merging armies and it has also crashed when they battled a rebel army.

Is this pretty much what everyone is experiencing?

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

Also on the Ptolemies, should they have Kilikia? I guess there's probably a good bit left to be doing with them. How hard would it be to give Ptolemy IX a faction with KH as the template? Not artwork or anything, just basic stuff to get both Ptolemies in there. And wasn't Ptolemy IX only booted from Alexandria in fall of 107?

And I couldn't find a ruler for Sidon or Side, should I just use something reasonable for each? For Side I'll use a Kilikian name, I guess. For Sidon, would it be better to go with a Phoenician name, or a Greek name?

And I was thinking I'd increase the population of both Side and Antioch, to better represent not only the size of those cities, but also their close neighbors, Tyre and Apamea, respectively. How does that sound?

I'm confused Paullus; what are you actually doing?

sorry! I'm mostly just fiddling with the descr_strat to get armies into place in the cities and territories--especially rebel-held ones--around the eastern med, and get rulers with their armies when I can. So my questions on Sidon and Side were in regards to what names might be suitable for the generals of their garrisons.

The Ptolemies question was out of the blue. I haven't touched their stuff, but I was wondering about their ownership of Kilikia.

So it's just for yourself?

In any case; no, Kilikia should not go to the Ptolemies. Ptolemy IX only managed to maintain himself in Kyrenaia and Kypros, while Ptolemy X kept only the Nile territories.

The particular month of the former king's departure was October. As far as turns, I imagine we'll push our start date over one or two to handle that.

As far as Sidon, I'm trying to find out better information, but it looks like they'd begun to come under the sway of the Romans; so a Pheonician or a Greek name variant would be appropriate - Strato would be a fun and appropriate to one. The name will eventually need to be changed to Nauarchis, and I honestly can't off-hand recall what extent the Roman authority had reached, but it's on my to-do list

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast