Thread: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

Latest release
    Alpha version v0.2
    Incorporating the new names and descr_strat changes made by paullus

Old releasesAlpha version v0.1

An alpha version is an internal team release - it is pre-beta version and is released only in order to help development, not to be properly playable.

It installs as a provincial campaign (it's a bit stripped down to keep the file size down).

It does overwrite some base files - however you can still play the EB 0.74 version Imperial Campaign. Still I would advise you to use JGSME Mod Enabler.

The most notable CTD is that you have to reload your game in between campaigns. If you don't, when you activate the script in the second campaign of a load then it will CTD.

The campaign script also doesn't seem to be always terminating. The campaign script is quite long so be prepared for the game to hang for a while with a full loading bar when starting a new campaign. It's busy placing a load of reform buildings.

Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

I know that, as a moderator on the Modding forums, one of the first questions I’m going to be asked about EB when the beta’s released is “I want to use all the great post-Marian units in EB right at the start, tell me what I need to do!”

But, instead of producing some half-arsed, ahistorical travesty that will plonk a load of post-Marian legionaries at the beginning of the third century BC, I want to be able to offer them something better: a new campaign, beginning at the Marian Reforms, which is historically authentic as we can make it. An expansion that would be worthy of all the painstaking effort and time the team has taken into making EB has authentic as possible.

The Unofficial Late Period project (otherwise known as the ULP!) is – as its name suggests – going to be completely unofficial and developed entirely separately from EB. EB members will be more than welcome to help it along, but this will be a project made by the fans, for the fans.

So what’s the plan?
    Though the mod isn’t released yet, what we can start doing right now is collecting the historical information that we’ll need to do it justice. We need to know, as best as we can find out, are the territorial boundaries of each of the EB factions at the new start date, the disposition of their troops as well as the names and characters of the factions most important leaders, so we can represent them on the map.

All the models and everything else will already be in there, the map itself, geographically will stay the same, all we will focus on doing is finding out for the initial release is which provinces need to be allocated to which faction.

To help us out with this, we’ll use the map done by Teleklos Archelaou so you can draw suggested boundaries.

If we have all the info we need together for when EB is released, we can start with the actual modding and have an initial version of the Marius Campaign out within a couple of weeks.

After that, if there’s interest to go on, there are loads of ways we can delve even further into the period and try to make things even more authentic.

Sounds great, how can I help?
    Unlike most mods, we have all the modding knowledge we need. What we really need are people who are dedicated to historical authenticity, especially those who know or are willing to find out the state of the world at the point of the Marian Reforms. We’ve chosen 107BC as our probationary start date, the year of Gaius Marius’ first consulship.

So, as at 107BC, we need to know what the status of the peoples that these EB factions represent (those that have been so far previewed):
    Seleukid
    Ptolomeioi
    Baktria
    Makedon
    Pontos
    Karthadastim
    Iberia
    Sauromatae
    Casse
    Aedui
    Sweboz
    Romans (not previewed, but I think they’re a safe assumption!)

As far as we can, we’re going to be using exactly the same historical discipline as the EB team, so if you want to help out you must read the following note on sources:
    A note on sources
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=41714

Wouldn’t it make more sense to wait until the open beta was released?
    The more info we get now, the quicker we’ll be able to release something once the beta does come out. After all, EB started months before RTW was released, why should we be any different?
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 05-02-2006 at 00:08.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

EB ULP? E BULP? EBULP? sounds great, but it's a little early. I'd like to start playing EB as EB, before the sidemods come in. and perhaps, when EB is 'finished' (perfectionist's as they are) they might even help you out..

Sounds very good. The campaign could later be expanded into the imperial era, with using the "marian" reforms trigger to change between late republican and imperial units.

I hope work on this will project be less secret, so that everyone can give input or little help.

Yep, this will be entirely developed on the public forum. All that help is needed with is the historical research - and there's nothing secret about history, it's the same for everyone!

Once EB is actually released, the modding should really be very straightforward.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

[QUOTE=Epistolary

So, as at 107BC, we need to know what the status of the peoples that these EB factions represent (those that have been so far previewed):
    Seleukid
    Ptolomeioi
    Baktria
    Makedon
    Pontos
    Karthadastim
    Iberia
    Sauromatae
    Casse
    Aedui
    Sweboz
    Romans (not previewed, but I think they’re a safe assumption!)

For the start , and just for the start , in 107 bce the is no Makedon (since 168 bce) , and no Karthadastim (since 146 , thank EB for deleting "Tsorim") . You do have the kingdom of Numidia (under king Iugortha) and the Cimbric and Teotonic tribes (Germanic) , and of course , much more (later) .
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Yeah, it's a good idea to start off by working out which factions still exist in 107BC.

Still in existence:
    Romans - obviously

Ptolomeioi - having dynastic disputes but still a force to be reckoned with

Iberia - in that this faction represents a variety of Iberian tribes, who most definitely still existed

Aedui - would afterwards become Caesar's allies in his Gallic wars

Baktria - something of a questionable case here, Baktra had been abandoned in around 125BC, but there were still Indo-Greek kingdoms in place

Pontos - not annexed by Pompey until 64BC

Sauromatae - these nomadic tribes still prevalent

Seleukid - much humbled but still not annexed by Pompey until 63BC

Casse - I believe they still existed and with extended territories on the British mainland

Sweboz - most definitely in existence in this period

Destroyed
    Karthadastim - city razed in 146BC by Scipio Africanus Minor

Makedon - Perseus lost the Third Macedonian War in 168BC and the place had become a Roman province by 146BC

Koinon Hellenon - pretty much all Greece was under Roman rule or heavily dependent Roman allies by 107BC
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-08-2005 at 00:42.

Some thoughts on territory of the Successors:

Baktria
    Again, while not exact - the Indo-Greek kingdom under Antialcidas could be the closest successor. Possible starting area: Ghandhara, Paropamisadai and Arachosia

Seleukid
    Leader: Antiochus VIII. Possible starting area: Syria, Syria Koile, Phoenicia

Ptolomeioi
    Leader: Ptolemy X Alexander I. Possible starting area: similar to the EB start date but without the Palestinian territories
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-07-2005 at 22:09.

Egomaniac sexpert Member Dux Corvanus's Avatar

Iberia

In 107 BC, all the peninsula was under Roman control, and all Iberian tribes submited, except Asturians and Cantabrians. August conquered them in 19 BC, after a fierce ten-year war.

BTW, this map texts are wrong, where it says "till 154 BC" should say "till 29 BC", and viceversa.

Although they're my main focus of interest, and I'd love it, maybe the Asturian-Cantabrian tribes don't deserve a full faction themselves.

Unless you want to reflect the Marius vs Sulla civil wars, in which case, Hispania -this is, ancient Iberia- should be under control of Marius-Sertorius Roman faction -except the northern tribes mentioned.
    Last edited by Dux Corvanus; 08-07-2005 at 17:11.

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

At this time, the Casse had wrung submission from the Dumnones and their ancillary tribes (with the possible exception of the Dobunnes), and from the tribes of Cambria (Wales) and the confederacy inhabiting most of the midlands. The Brigantes, Parisi, and everyone north of them were still indepedent. Their control of the region would fall apart in the coming years, but it seems to have been the extended height of their control; if possible, all the provinces except their capitol should be somewhat likely to rebel, and armies would start out a bit spread thin from war.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

So would this basically be like a historically accurate barbarian invasion?

if so.

YES!!!

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_handsome_viking
    So would this basically be like a historically accurate barbarian invasion?

if so.

YES!!!
    No barbarian invasion is the late empire this mod will move EB's start date to the late republic 107BC instead of 272BC the Marian reforms in other words

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

In BI, the Roman Empires were close to collapse (but the East survived of course, partly due to their 'gifts' to the Huns); in the ULP, the Roman Empire wasn't officially existing yet, and it was in a period of Pure Ownage, destroying the Gauls, Pontics and soon absorbing the Egyptians.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

So I've been playing around with the ULPP over the weekend with not much happening here lately I decided to do something that might just be useful I have added a basic garrison for the Romani, Pahlava, Pontos and Hayasdan cities

The Romani cities got 2 x Rorarii and 1 x Leve
    Pahlava 2 x Greek Pantodapoi and 1 x Eastern Archer Thanvabara
    Pontos 2 x Greek Pantodapoi Phalangitai
    Hayasdan 2 x Aspet Cavalry 1 x Eastern Archer Thanvabara

All garrisons have the generic city info filled out eg

; City: Mtskheta
    ; Region: Kartli
    ; --------------------

So changing a garrison to something more accurate when more information becomes available is as easy as searching a city name in DESCR_STRAT.txt and with a bit of luck 0.8 won't make to many changes to the city locations

Heres the download ULP27.08.06.zip

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

Member Member Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom's Avatar
    Born in London, England. Now live in The best country ever. America.

Wow, so whats the deal with this mod then people? Come on this is a really good idea! Yaul have almost finished it so why the sudden stop?
    Best RPG: Chrono Trigger