Thread: New names list

Default New names list

I'm creating a new faction (thanks for guide Starkhorn ), and I would like to add new names for Croatian faction. However, there are no Croatian defined, so is it possible to add new names on a new list (22 for forenames and 18 for surnames)? Thanks in advance

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Default Re: New names list

Yes it is. Just be sure that add them at the end, or you'll have to go through and adjust each of the other factions to get them pointed at the proper list.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Oh, and make sure that you have the names defined in the names.txt file as well as the heroes.txt file.

For example:

Let's say you want to add Zvonimir for a forename and Suranja for a surname (Zvonimir Suranja was Croatian ruler at the beginning of the MTW early era) and you have 21 defined forename lists and 17 defined surname lists

It helps to number them so you can keep track, so use a // remark line and make an entry like this:

// 22 Croatian forenames
    ADD_FORENAMES::
    {"Zvonimir"}

// 18 Croatian surnames
    ADD_SURNAME::
    {"Suranja"}

You'll also need an entry for both in the names.txt file like this:

// 22 Croatian forenames
    ["Zvonimir"] {"Zvonimir"}

// 18 Croatian surnames
    ["Suranja"] {"Suranja"}

Another tip, there is no reason except for space not to have a list for every faction. They're only text files, so file size isn't affected that much. Even if they are just used as a placeholder, they help keep things straight. The original VI expansion reused the surname lists for some factions, which caused the forename and surname lists to get out of sync - such as the Sicilians and Italians having separate forename lists but the same surname list. Using placeholder lists helps keep things straight. So for every faction have a list of forenames and surnames and princesses in both files, even though they might not be used (such as princesses for Islamic factions) or use other faction's lists, such as the original Sicilian's surnames. That way way, you can find the proper lists quickly and easily in either the heroes.txt or the names.txt files.
    Last edited by Aenlic; 08-12-2005 at 15:15.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Thanks, I'll try it soon