Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music for the mod

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Music for the mod

I couldn't resist... here's a defeat music suggestion:
    -- REMOVED --

This one is much better done than the other one I posted. I noticed now that the other music piece I posted, it contained some tones outside the scale that the instruments I used could cover - the brightest horn tunes need to be replaced by some other wind instrument, or it can't be played by a real orchestra (but by midi synthesizers on computers). I assume that's why you asked if it should really be that bright? Anyway, this much shorter piece I think is a good defeat music. Had to do some balancing with "marcato" and "stacatissimo" etc. because in the program I use I still haven't found any functions for piano ,fortissimo ,crescendo and decrescendo etc. for regulating strength of the tones. Anyway, with the marcato etc. I found a balance that sounded really good. The harp must play very silently while the contrabass needs to play more loudly. In total, the music shouldn't be played too loudly.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 08-17-2005 at 18:43.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    I couldn't resist... here's a defeat music suggestion:

This one is much better done than the other one I posted. I noticed now that the other music piece I posted, it contained some tones outside the scale that the instruments I used could cover - the brightest horn tunes need to be replaced by some other wind instrument, or it can't be played by a real orchestra (but by midi synthesizers on computers). I assume that's why you asked if it should really be that bright? Anyway, this much shorter piece I think is a good defeat music. Had to do some balancing with "marcato" and "stacatissimo" etc. because in the program I use I still haven't found any functions for piano ,fortissimo ,crescendo and decrescendo etc. for regulating strength of the tones. Anyway, with the marcato etc. I found a balance that sounded really good. The harp must play very silently while the contrabass needs to play more loudly. In total, the music shouldn't be played too loudly.
    could I also get the tempo in beats per minute? will try your piece out when I get in the mood next time...

I used the standard, 100, for this piece. But I think I might have found a way of synthesizing the sound myself. Hold on, I'll experiment a little with it today. If I can do that, then you don't need to do boring noteplacing for me at all. Of course, since there's still no save function I'll only be able to create shorter pieces like defeat/victory etc.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

if you could save as a midi file with some other program, I could easily just set the instruments and get some quality sound out of it... I don't know if you have that on your pc or just soundcard sounds..

My method is really so simple that it surprises me I didn't realize it before - I just borrow an mp3 player with recording function from a person I know, then plug it into the earphones hole on my speakers. Press record, and voilà, an mp3 file! Now I just have to wait for the mp3 player.
    Under construction...

Defeat music: http://rapidshare.de/files/4081272/defeat.MP3.html
    Marching music: -- REMOVED --

I unfortunately forgot to note the killcode for the defeat.mp3 file Rapidshare is, I found out, too fast - I had already uploaded the second file when I realized that I needed the killcode for the first one...

Anyway tell me what you think of these two

Edit: Warning - the second one had a high recording volume, and there has accidentally been added a very loud noise just before the piece starts (will have to be cut away, it's a result of carelessness during the recording). The first one needs quite a loud volume in order for the harps to be heard.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 08-21-2005 at 10:03.
    Under construction...

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Music for the mod

I heard nothing with horns of the apocalypse

The defeat piece was quite good, I thought. Nice and short; it doesn't need to be long. I quite like it.

The drums in "The Horns of the Apocalypse" remind me of Mayhem's Sylvester Anfang. The riffage is good, but I think it should be re-produced; those synthesised horns just sound like a synthesiser. They gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    The defeat piece was quite good, I thought. Nice and short; it doesn't need to be long. I quite like it.

The drums in "The Horns of the Apocalypse" remind me of Mayhem's Sylvester Anfang. The riffage is good, but I think it should be re-produced; those synthesised horns just sound like a synthesiser. They gotta go.
    Yeah, the synthesizing for all brass instruments in that program is quite bad. On second thoughts I think we shouldn't use it, but the defeat music I'm quite happy with.
    Under construction...

I'm working on a victory music ATM, expect a download link soon... I decided to get rid of the horns of the apocalypse as marching music, so instead I based part of the victory music piece on that theme. Might be a little too much minor tunes at the start, but every time I tried to make a victory music that started out with happy tunes, I failed miserably. This piece instead starts out quite sad, but ends in a triumphal crescendo...
    Under construction...

Here we go, victory music: -- REMOVED --
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 08-21-2005 at 10:03.
    Under construction...

I don't know for myself, but apparently the keys of G major and G minor are the best for making a piece feel epic.

The new piece is very, very quiet. The horns still need to go, but about the piece itself...I don't think it works. There isn't enough triump in there. This might just be because of the crappy quality of the midi, but there is definitely something missing. A good start, though - screw around with it, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    I don't know for myself, but apparently the keys of G major and G minor are the best for making a piece feel epic.

The new piece is very, very quiet. The horns still need to go, but about the piece itself...I don't think it works. There isn't enough triump in there. This might just be because of the crappy quality of the midi, but there is definitely something missing. A good start, though - screw around with it, maybe?
    Edit: I uploaded a new victory music here but deleted again.

The quiet sound is, I have now realized, caused by the conversion to mp3 by the current recording method I'm using. It sounded a lot more powerful in the program, but lost all force in the conversion process. I attempted a new recording method for this piece, but it turned out even more awful. But this new piece is a lot more powerful than the last. Hopefully the previous recording music, that was awful but still less awful than the new one, will make it some kind of justice. I've removed the link until I can record it again with a better recording method.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 08-21-2005 at 13:58.
    Under construction...

Still suffered in the conversion, but probably a lot better than the last one:
    Victory music (G minor): http://rapidshare.de/files/4215193/victory2.MP3.html

I think the feeling of this piece is well suited for the task. Volume needs to be increased a lot for it to sound good, but it's adapted to the defeat music, so if you keep the same volume that was required to hear the harps in the defeat music, this piece sounds quite good IMO.

(The combo multiple timpanis + harps + violoncello + double bass with full volume - fff - sounds very powerful )

BTW, I found out how to edit velocity now. And speed... Now the real composing work begins ...

Edit: Good news, from now on I've found a way of doing the conversion without losing as much quality etc. Will apply it on my next piece, if I make one.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 08-21-2005 at 20:40.
    Under construction...

Had an idea. If you don't mind loosing minimal quality, we could have mp3's in the installation package and I could make a script unpacking these to .wav files. This way it won't be a 700 mb file to download, but the music files rather 1/11 of the original size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12