Poll: Is UN worthless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is UN worthless?

Question Is UN worthless?

I have noticed that many people here seem to think that UN is a worthless organization novadays.I would like to hear some constructive ideas how to make it work again or what would be a better suggestion to replace it.Your opinions please?

Aargh.Posted this in the wrong place!Mods please move this to the Backroom.Thanks.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 08-14-2005 at 18:44.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Is UN worthless?

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    I would like to hear some constructive ideas how to make it work again or what would be a better suggestion to replace it.Your opinions please?
    Kick nations such as Iran out of it
    And yeah, if US respected it, it would probably perform much better.

Then, you're going to hear rant about how "the UN are corrupted", "the UN are a tool of the Europeans to slow down US growth/policy" and other funny things like that.

Default Re: Is UN worthless?

Well the main organisation has been lately a bit powerless, but it still serves a good purpose. Mainly due to the fact that it's very easy to ignore the UN, due to lack of an enforcer. (but in a way this lack of an enforcer is okay in the current role of the UN)
    On the other hand it's suborganisations like UNICEF do a very important job for the world and the suborganisations compensate for the UN.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

take it down and re-build it

The UN has done some good work. The peacekeeking missions in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and East Timor are doing a lot of good work.
    Last edited by Grey_Fox; 08-14-2005 at 19:31.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

The UN itself is useless, and powerless (war in Iraq)
    Kinda like the League of Nations, without the US, they were powerless.
    However, UNICEF, and other aid organizations are doing good work across the globe.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Take it down and let the British Commonwealth of Nations take over its job and let everyone join.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Let's just make this simple. If the U.S wants to do anything, it can do what it wants. If other nations want to do something unorthodox, then they really have to square it with America if they don't want any sanctions. If the U.S wants to impose sanctions on a country, it can. The power of the U.S is its economic power. The threat of denying a country the American market is enough for them to vote for U.S policy. America is the enforcer of the U.N.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Depends on whether you think it is a place to talk or an organization meant to rule the world!

As a place to talk instead of fight it has its uses.

As the beginnings of a world government it isn't very useful. Thank God!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    Depends on whether you think it is a place to talk or an organization meant to rule the world!

As a place to talk instead of fight it has its uses.

As the beginnings of a world government it isn't very useful. Thank God!
    Perhaps the UN (ONU as i've posted elsewhere, sometimes i forget that this is english) is not a place to talk nor to fight, it's as i see it the ultimate weapon of political mass destruction and of domination over the international agreements and other bilateral and unilateral politics beetween their members (and sometimes decides the fate of outsiders!!), controlled by USA, an i mean like a "puppet". It's not worthless, it's a cancer that must be removed from society. Sure they have made some good, but as capitalism permits to give control to just one rich nation, then always their decitions will be influenced by that nation. When they change their minds, they will fall. To give an example i think that the case of the judges in a change of governament is perfect: if the president will like to have the desitions of the judges in the same way as him then he just remove the judges (with excuses, like "political judgement") and put some news allied to his politics. Anyway while one nation controls the resources of the world, expands their culture to sell their products (including the "democracy" and capitalism), and the multinationals stay under it's control making the profit that reproduces the circle again, then the UN will make filantropal things like helping the "third world" (tough we don't seem to be part of it) and the people will stay happy, but remember you are not giving them a way to combat hunger and poberty, you are just calming it for a while so you can give the "gift" again and again.

PS: There's an interesting case of US overpowering. In "El Chaco" here in Argentina, came a group of militaries from USA. They say we want to enter and have absolute inmmunity, our soldiers will be judge by our government (they say this always anyway, at least the International Court is worthless for them), and we want to have full access to the land, for what? i really don't know (there're many theories that don't matter right now). The thing is that you may say "well if the government give them what they ask then they are weak...bla, bla, bla" yes sure, in a balanced and perfect situation, but we're talking of a country that in his hands haves the economic future of practically all America (except for Canada i think) and the thing is that if they wanted they can rise the taxes again and enslave us. And this is just a perfect example, but just one... imagine how many of this situations happens beetween the nations in the UN?
    Born On The Flames

Patria Nostra Romania Member Gemenii XIII's Avatar
    Colonia Ulpia Traiana Augusta Dacica Sarmisegetusa

Ill only ask one rhetorical question. WHY DO THE FRENCH HAVE VETO POWER IN THE UN????????

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

All one has to do is look at the voting record and structure of the security council to see what the United Nations has done to itself.

The rest of the discussion is for the backroom - so I will table it until the poll moves there.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Has there been a WWIII since the UN has been in power? No.

Well that is its primary purpose.

Let's just make this simple. If the U.S wants to do anything, it can do what it wants. If other nations want to do something unorthodox, then they really have to square it with America if they don't want any sanctions. If the U.S wants to impose sanctions on a country, it can. The power of the U.S is its economic power. The threat of denying a country the American market is enough for them to vote for U.S policy. America is the enforcer of the U.N.
    Subsitute China in there and you will see why it is getting away with Tibet and bullying Taiwan...

Subsitute France in there and you will understand why it got away with the Nuclear Tests in the South Pacific and France getting the so much benefit from the CAP.

Subsitute Britain in there and you are left perplexed.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

It is worthless unless you are a international buerocrat that wants to steal money, have diplomatic amunity, and bang some hot NY hookers, then I guess it would be a pretty good gig. Besides that, it has as much use as jock ich...
    RIP Tosa

Now to respond - since its been moved to the backroom - Much of the discussion around the United Nations and its impact on the world has to do with politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulforged
    Perhaps the UN (ONU as i've posted elsewhere, sometimes i forget that this is english) is not a place to talk nor to fight, it's as i see it the ultimate weapon of political mass destruction and of domination over the international agreements and other bilateral and unilateral politics beetween their members (and sometimes decides the fate of outsiders!!), controlled by USA, an i mean like a "puppet".
    Given that the United Nations is seen as worthless by many citizens of the United States - calling the UN a puppet of the United States is a reach. The failure of the United Nations to enforce its own resolutions does not come from just the United States - but the political manuever and disagreements of all nations. To blame the United States only - discounts the harm that other nations have also done - the old Soviet Union, China, Britian and France all have permanent seats on the UN - do you hold that the United Nations is also a puppet of these nations?

It's not worthless, it's a cancer that must be removed from society. Sure they have made some good, but as capitalism permits to give control to just one rich nation, then always their decitions will be influenced by that nation.
    This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me - especially given that two of the nations on the Security Council were/are Communist in nature.

When they change their minds, they will fall. To give an example i think that the case of the judges in a change of governament is perfect: if the president will like to have the desitions of the judges in the same way as him then he just remove the judges (with excuses, like "political judgement") and put some news allied to his politics. Anyway while one nation controls the resources of the world, expands their culture to sell their products (including the "democracy" and capitalism), and the multinationals stay under it's control making the profit that reproduces the circle again, then the UN will make filantropal things like helping the "third world" (tough we don't seem to be part of it) and the people will stay happy, but remember you are not giving them a way to combat hunger and poberty, you are just calming it for a while so you can give the "gift" again and again.
    Another arguement hard to follow because of the language and translation of it. However lets address one point - The United States does not control the United Nations - nor more then any of the the other Permanent members of the Security Council. Politicial bickering and infighting between these five nations have made the United Nations irrevelant in todays world. Again just blaming one nation - is short sighted and false.

PS: There's an interesting case of US overpowering. In "El Chaco" here in Argentina, came a group of militaries from USA. They say we want to enter and have absolute inmmunity, our soldiers will be judge by our government (they say this always anyway, at least the International Court is worthless for them), and we want to have full access to the land, for what? i really don't know (there're many theories that don't matter right now). The thing is that you may say "well if the government give them what they ask then they are weak...bla, bla, bla" yes sure, in a balanced and perfect situation, but we're talking of a country that in his hands haves the economic future of practically all America (except for Canada i think) and the thing is that if they wanted they can rise the taxes again and enslave us. And this is just a perfect example, but just one... imagine how many of this situations happens beetween the nations in the UN?
    Again an interesting perspective - but its only that - the United States doesn't even maintain a secure border with Mexico - so the aspects of enslaving the rest of the both contients is a little conspricary theory and over propagandization by those in the area that are fearful of the United States. Nor can the United States make it happen in a economic or military sense. There is some movement toward attempting economic controls based upon agreements like NAFTA and other trading agreements - but the aspects of many of those treaties are mutual beneficial to all parties.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Reforms are needed, but UN is still the best we have today for a united world.....

Yeah, heaven forbid we should start thinking of ourselves as being the same species with common basic purpose...

The UN may be ineffectual, but at least it is a forum for communication. As long as the communication lines are kept open, it will continue to benefit the world. Papewaio's examples were a good demonstration of the kind of positive things that can be achieved through the UN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    As an Anti-Federalist, I think a United World is the last thing we need. We don't need more blanket laws. Systems should be confined to smaller spaces. Differing cultures of the world do not allow for the same system of laws. What you wind up with is a crappy Beaurocracy like the UN. Dismantle it. And never try anything like it again. That's what I say. All it's doing is keeping the big guys powerful, and the little guys down, under the guise of some kind of global helping hand.
    So you believe that there are nothing that all people on earth agree on ?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemenii XIII
    Ill only ask one rhetorical question. WHY DO THE FRENCH HAVE VETO POWER IN THE UN????????
    Charles De Gaulle.

Through sheer chutz-pah, obstinancy, and -- pardon this -- gall, he forced the real powers that were among the Allies (USA, UK, USSR) to grant them a measure of equality. This was done to a) shut him up and, b) get him to support the allied war effort in something resembling an active fashion.

I do not say this to insult him. He was dealt a pretty weak hand and played it for far more of a share of the pot than he had a right to expect.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

The UN should remain focused 4 things:

1) Environment: Making the world a healthy place
    2) Human Rights: All people should be respected
    3) Peace Keeping: When parties have agreed to a ceasefire
    4) Rebuilding: When a nation is destroyed by war or nature

All other roles like diplomancy enforcement and sanctions should be controlled by individual nations.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Blog Entries

I believe the UN still has use in the world, although I wish it was more deliberate and focused. Perhaps having swift votes on pressing issues would be a good thing, if there is an urgent matter than needs to be attended (such as an outbreak of genocide in some country) than a vote can be called on the spot to send peacekeepers and use them defensively or aggressively, anyone can vote, but because they are so compressed for time there is a time limit, those that make it can vote, and those that can't (including countries with veto powers) cannot vote at all. Right now the UN is a bloated Frog but with some reforms it could very well be an international police force dictated by the majority vote of nations.

EDIT: Also every country within the UN must also be willing to give it's soldiers the blue helmet if such an occasion occurs.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

UN sub-organizations are doing good works throughout the 3rd world, and while the main organization is flawed and quite corrupted, and created originally, if I must say, by a few powers seeking to keep powers (those in the security council); it is still a forum where countries can talk and make their voices heard, for good or bad. Conflicts are resolved easier with a forum-for-all and, if the UN managed to reform itself it would be an excellent step for a more united world. Of course, any reform attempts are hard to come by unless some genius statesman-of-a-politician proposes something new and even then, as the most important nations in the UN simply can veto anything on their own and that they always compete for international influence with each other, things can hardly be successful.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

The United Nations is the world's favoured forum for negotiations. We needed it after WWI, we got it after WWII, and we still need it if we want to contain the ambitions and high-handed policies of the U.S., Russia and China in the course of the next one hundred years. Posters should heed Papewaio's remarks about China since he is close to the fire and aware of the heat. The U.S. has become a problem since 9/11 and Russia has become a problem again since the rise of Mr Putin.

The UN is not a world government and it never will be. A world government will only come about -- if ever -- as a result of the spread of federal arrangements between strong, exclusively democratic states along the lines of the European Union. If these states can develop arrangements that work (to the satisfaction of their populations as well as governments), then progress towards a world government is possible.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Posters should heed Papewaio's remarks about China since he is close to the fire and aware of the heat.
    ... not so close to the heat of China as I have been out of Taiwan and back in Sydney since about Feb.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    Now to respond - since its been moved to the backroom - Much of the discussion around the United Nations and its impact on the world has to do with politics.

Given that the United Nations is seen as worthless by many citizens of the United States - calling the UN a puppet of the United States is a reach. The failure of the United Nations to enforce its own resolutions does not come from just the United States - but the political manuever and disagreements of all nations. To blame the United States only - discounts the harm that other nations have also done - the old Soviet Union, China, Britian and France all have permanent seats on the UN - do you hold that the United Nations is also a puppet of these nations?

This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me - especially given that two of the nations on the Security Council were/are Communist in nature.

Another arguement hard to follow because of the language and translation of it. However lets address one point - The United States does not control the United Nations - nor more then any of the the other Permanent members of the Security Council. Politicial bickering and infighting between these five nations have made the United Nations irrevelant in todays world. Again just blaming one nation - is short sighted and false.

Again an interesting perspective - but its only that - the United States doesn't even maintain a secure border with Mexico - so the aspects of enslaving the rest of the both contients is a little conspricary theory and over propagandization by those in the area that are fearful of the United States. Nor can the United States make it happen in a economic or military sense. There is some movement toward attempting economic controls based upon agreements like NAFTA and other trading agreements - but the aspects of many of those treaties are mutual beneficial to all parties.
    That the citizens don't support it....and so....
    Oh that's what i expected to read. If you're american an are blaming China and Soviet Union, then this is an amazing coincidence. And, you can see all that one does in public, but you will see the real effect (in matters that concern US) in the facts (and not in the deliberations). You see much deliberation on the UN about if it would be right to engage war in Irak or not, some yes some not, as always. What happens, just the result looked by USA (at least for the government), there was war, there was invasion in others soberanity. Does the UN does something more than talking to stop this, no, and US takes the oil again, now with full domination and attempting to put a "democratic" government, always surpasing their field of action and soberanity, just like in Vietnam or in the Gulf War. Imposing the capitalism and the democracy may seem right but the UN was created so no country will never surpase the soberanity of another, even less with hostile purposes. And in fact you're right, and i'm sorry US only is not the one puppeting the UN, it's being taked by every powerful nation (well this is just normal) but US is still the one with more veto power and i will correct myself, in matters that concern them (like war against terreorism, an absurd if you excuse me) they always get throught.
    And what society known until today is communist, as you say.... read the manifesto, and you will notice that not of them are/were communist. They're capitalists (even China) just see the movements that they take. And why i tell you this, yes it seems to have no sense, but think. Capitalism, though it was not created by USA just improved by it, is based on acumulation of treasure by anyone who can do it (capitalists of course, a worker could not) and in the fetichism of the mercancy and the plusvalue (as Marx discovered), but more importantly it permits competion beetween anyone. I'm not saying that it's a plot by the USA, it's just the capitalism that it's wrong, but this has permited to nations such as this one expand they economy world wide, with their culture ("globalization"). The point is that this gives the country who uses it best to take control over the others, especially the weak ones, from a moral point of view is wrong, but lets be objectives. The problem is that USA takes principal roll on the UN, they say all big words, like pursuing criminals, end of the wars, imprescribility of the crimes of war, bla, bla, bla... what is the result, they don't have any power to impose almost all of this over other countries, and in cases like the wars, well they make some "exceptions".... that's what it may seem worthless but far from it, if one nation has the power to corrupt it and manage it them it will be an perfect instrument to create illusions. As you see i'm not blaming one nation (it's naive) but i believe that is only one nation that always get's the results that they want, does the UN says something against or not, but it just say it does nothing. Why have an army if you don't use it? An a far more interesting irony... Why have one is you want to stop war?
    Anyway this is not the matter (hatred towards USA) because it's of public knowledge. The fact's that it's not worthless at all, but it seems perfect to reproduce everyday's lies, like filantropy is a right thing, or wars are bad... the average people will see it that way so...
    Finally is not a perspective, and we are fearful of the USA, we saw what an military potence can do. Why would you say that USA would want to enter here unchecked? To do researsh on species of the third world... No i will say you why, it's because they search for something, a resource perhaps (the observations here talk about the greatest reserve of water, after the poles and Island). And you say that USA cannot take all over South America for example, militarily. Man you're blind, they have the most advanced army and the most populated one (with the exception of China perhaps), they could just do it the old way:1- Make treaties and alliances with other powerful nations 2- Create an excuse 3- Invade 4- Put a new "better" government. You don't even have to worry from then on. An economic, well that truly is false, if you don't know it USA has the most vast international debt, and that means that they can afford it, then they must have the most vast treasure, that's for sure, is just do some mats. Now if you take that- Most vast reserve + Control of almost all companies all over Latin America and Brazil + Almost absolute control over the regulations on economic politics in this region + most valuable divise (the dolar)= they already have control over the rest. The NAFTA would just make it more public and visible. There're not a single real benefit that a powerless nation could achieve by uniting (and in sometime opening frontiers totally) with a powerful one, they will simply be absorbed. And as you see viewing the hole panorama here you would will doubt if this is just a "perspective", and when you try to set a plot you don't go around saying "hey give immunity, we're military, we will enter with weapons...", anybody with 3 pounds of brain will notice that that is insane, so i never said that is a conspiracy, in fact they don't need it, they can be open if they have us by the throat.
    Last edited by Soulforged; 08-15-2005 at 08:19.
    Born On The Flames

WTF?

Man the one thing about the UN is you can always get a translator...

But everybody still is blinded by the "good things" that the UN does. Man i will go as far (to demosntrate my point) to go back to the Cold War. As everybody in America probably saw it, it was cold, but here.... Man it was hot like hell. First of all the Vietnam propaganda-war-for-democracy thing i don't think that everybody has eated that, but i don't know about your minds, and that was a perfect excuse to justify the army and still make countries like France or USA being seen as "good people". The same goes for the Soviet Union on those days. Anyway in that ambient of technologycal advancement and the 13 days, in wich the president of USA had in his hands the desteny of all the world, in the rest of America military uprisings were pumping up like it was one hell of a coincidence (we must remember that the UN already existed). In some places like in Vietnam, there goes the Soviet Union they convince some party to go to the "communist" side (not at all communist by the way) and then the Americans come trying to impose good democracy and freedom of speech, but by making war, does this concerns them, directly of course not, but again they must justify the army, and they sell weapons both sides, making big profit of it (both SU and USA), does everybody cares about the lifes that will be lost for sure, why if the profit is so great?. The same goes to the Gulf War (throwing down Sadam Hussein, please...) but that is another period. While that was happening on Asia, here uprisings supported by the american government and supplied by it had taked the government. The case of Noriega was a perfect example. Noriega was supported by Jorge Bush father, and when he was performing the tiran roll, Bush said, it's enough, it's not convinient to support him anymore (it's ok you can change your mind, if this is really the case), but does him considers other ways to stop and take him out besides just sending some little army and invade the countrie causing havoc there (besides the havoc that already existed). No!! Why would he do that?. Something similar happened with Hussein and Bin-Laden. Now, why does these countries have so unlimited power? Because the UN does nothing to stop them, because they are it's enforcers, and they are the only voice there. Now take Soviet Union out of the picture because it has lost it's power. Take France out too, because they are in an eternal debt with USA, and also Britain because of the alliance, the actions taked by the first minister (Blair) are absolute proof. What is the direction of the dessitions that the UN will take? Unilateral is the response...by the way discussion is out of the picture too...
    In any case some people out there think that filantropy is a good thing, or yes very beautiful, does it has any real effects on education, work, independence or lasting effects on hunger and health, of course not, the contrary. Does the UN come here and put an stop to the atrocities that happen here, not, they just come before the Falklands War is over, for good yes, but the government was abdicating anyway.
    I don't think that i can make myself more clear in short space, but if you want to see real effects, real actions, results, you have to see to the material not the ideal, and the material is economics, and the economics will always rule the ways work, from the distribution of job to the reciprocal agreements, and from the relation beetween people to the ones beetween nations. The UN is just another LIVE 8, it's bullshit, but as i said before it's constant bullshit pretending to globalizate the world and end the difference beetween nations, when some debate cannot do that, and the actions are always influenced by the powerful. But i'll still say that it's an instrument, it doesn't act like a global government, but like a global fachade...
    And if you say that is a place for discussion then there must be more options abailavable than democracy and capitalism, the democracy is not at all that, it's just formal without any real thing inside it, and capitalism, well i think everybody knows how wrong is this one...Anyway the democracy thing has taken its toll because of the demagogy of leaders, ignorants and capitalists and communism seems to have no place in future plans for anyone country, so i will not say that this is only exclusively of the UN, but it reflects exactly on the same spot where everything is supposed to be open, and where escatological things like this cannot be out of the picture.
    Last edited by Soulforged; 08-15-2005 at 08:13.
    Born On The Flames

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    WTF?

Man the one thing about the UN is you can always get a translator...
    Well man i will give you the reason on that... but it's really that difficult to understand...come on
    Born On The Flames

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Now, why does these countries have so unlimited power? Because the UN does nothing to stop them, because they are it's enforcers, and they are the only voice there.
    Quite.

Do you have an alternative? Or is the only point you are trying to get across that the UN is useless because it doesn't prevent the world from being chaotic, society from being unjust and life from being short and all too often brutal? In other words, that the UN is useless because it isn't God? If so, I don't think many .org patrons need to be convinced.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

That the citizens don't support it....and so....
    Oh that's what i expected to read. If you're american an are blaming China and Soviet Union, then this is an amazing coincidence.
    Try reading again - I am blaming them along with the United States. Just blaming the United States discounts what the other members of the Security Council have done also. Your reading into the post something that is not there. I am beginning to think that you are not as informed as you wish to protray yourself as.

And, you can see all that one does in public, but you will see the real effect (in matters that concern US) in the facts (and not in the deliberations). You see much deliberation on the UN about if it would be right to engage war in Irak or not, some yes some not, as always.
    So your opinion is solely based upon the actions of the last 4 years? That is what this statement might mean? You might want to review the actions and deliberations of the USSR in regards to the United Nation.

What happens, just the result looked by USA (at least for the government), there was war, there was invasion in others soberanity. Does the UN does something more than talking to stop this, no, and US takes the oil again, now with full domination and attempting to put a "democratic" government, always surpasing their field of action and soberanity, just like in Vietnam or in the Gulf War.
    So explain the failure of the United Nations to enforce 14 resolutions against Iraq before the invasion? Explain the failure of the UN to send peacekeepers to certain places in Africa that the United States actually asked for in session.

Imposing the capitalism and the democracy may seem right but the UN was created so no country will never surpase the soberanity of another, even less with hostile purposes. And in fact you're right, and i'm sorry US only is not the one puppeting the UN, it's being taked by every powerful nation (well this is just normal) but US is still the one with more veto power and i will correct myself, in matters that concern them (like war against terreorism, an absurd if you excuse me) they always get throught.
    The United States is one of five nations with Veto power - each of those natons have the exact same power of the veto - and each have used it numerous times. Now in dealing with just the issues concerning Israel - you might be correct since the United States always Veto's any action against Israel.

And what society known until today is communist, as you say.... read the manifesto, and you will notice that not of them are/were communist.
    read it many times - you might want to check how Marx wrote the manifesto - it talks aobut doing exactly what many of the communist states did - the problem is that those countries remained socialist dictorships.

Edit:
    In fact here is a nice little quote taken from the Mainfesto which talks about the necessity to destroy the capitialist state and forcably bring the society into the socialist model before the people can evolve into communism, bolded text shows the point that I was making above.

Quote Originally Posted by Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
    We have seen above that the first step in the revolution by the working class is to raise the proletariat to the position of ruling class to win the battle of democracy.

The proletariat will use its political supremacy to wrest, by degree, all capital from the bourgeoisie, to centralize all instruments of production in the hands of the state, i.e., of the proletariat organized as the ruling class; and to increase the total productive forces as rapidly as possible.

Of course, in the beginning, this cannot be effected except by means of despotic inroads on the rights of property, and on the conditions of bourgeois production; by means of measures, therefore, which appear economically insufficient and untenable, but which, in the course of the movement, outstrip themselves, necessitate further inroads upon the old social order, and are unavoidable as a means of entirely revolutionizing the mode of production.

These measures will, of course, be different in different countries.

Nevertheless, in most advanced countries, the following will be pretty generally applicable.

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.

2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.

4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

5. Centralization of credit in the banks of the state, by means of a national bank with state capital and an exclusive monopoly.

6. Centralization of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the state.

7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state; the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.

8. Equal obligation of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.

9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.

10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, etc.

When, in the course of development, class distinctions have disappeared, and all production has been concentrated in the hands of a vast association of the whole nation, the public power will lose its political character. Political power, properly so called, is merely the organized power of one class for oppressing another. If the proletariat during its contest with the bourgeoisie is compelled, by the force of circumstances, to organize itself as a class; if, by means of a revolution, it makes itself the ruling class, and, as such, sweeps away by force the old conditions of production, then it will, along with these conditions, have swept away the conditions for the existence of class antagonisms and of classes generally, and will thereby have abolished its own supremacy as a class.

In place of the old bourgeois society, with its classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all.
    Careful of calling the communist countries - non communist when they are indeed following Karl Marx's doctrine - its just that as despots the individuals controlling the government now have fallen for one of the oldest sayings in the world - which over and over again has been shown to be correct.

Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

They're capitalists (even China) just see the movements that they take. And why i tell you this, yes it seems to have no sense, but think. Capitalism, though it was not created by USA just improved by it, is based on acumulation of treasure by anyone who can do it (capitalists of course, a worker could not) and in the fetichism of the mercancy and the plusvalue (as Marx discovered), but more importantly it permits competion beetween anyone. I'm not saying that it's a plot by the USA, it's just the capitalism that it's wrong, but this has permited to nations such as this one expand they economy world wide, with their culture ("globalization").
    This is completely unclear to me - it seems to be the standard marxist rant against Capitialism.

The point is that this gives the country who uses it best to take control over the others, especially the weak ones, from a moral point of view is wrong, but lets be objectives.
    What in the world are you trying to say?

I would do the rest by paragraph - but it seems to me more of a rant against the United States more then anything else. I know there is a language barrier here but the rest is jumbled to the point that the message is lost in the ranting.
    Last edited by Redleg; 08-15-2005 at 15:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast