Poll: How much do pictures like this affect you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much do pictures like this effect you?

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Re: How much do pictures like this effect you?

That is exactly the rationale that the US forces have always used. And would explain why they are so poor at peacekeeping and in civil war situations.
    No that is what every rational person does . You take care of you and your first. You cant help anyone if your dead.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

The world isn't fair. I learned that a long time ago, and it prevents me getting too worked up about the picture. Besides, in my beliefs, if the parents where good people, they have nothing to fear, as they're probably in Heaven.

Hey. You asked me what these pictures make me think and what they do to me.

Here is what I see:

Soldier. Kids Crying. Caption reads: Parents just killed by Soldiers.

Here is what I think in response:

Soldiers killed insurgents. Kids do not understand who their parents are. Good job Soldiers. Keep it up.

As for the kids, what can we do? Nothing. Except make the country stable for their future and ours.

Yay, Soldiers! Kill the enemy without discrimination. Kill them all.

Sheet of glass, baby. Sheet of glass.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

What if it had been a picture of two American kids in Utah crying while their mother held a letter she had just received that began "The Department of Defence regrets to inform you that..."?

Would that have been enough to "play" you?
    No, I dont let emotions get in the way of logic. Personal tradgedy is just that - personal. It has no effect on what I think about the greater context in which it occured.

Only the weak are affected by such visuals. If a person did not know the tradgedy of war before they saw the picture, he is simply too sheltered and shouldnt even be allowed to hold an opinion on war, as he knows so little about it.

But if you'd like a canned response, here you go.

This is horrible. I feel so bad. America is a horrible country.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Idaho, I deffinetly see what you mean.

Yes it would because I care about americans.

Americans take a pledge of allegiance to the United states...not the world

After americans I care about our allies after that I don't mind as much(I still care but not near as much)

Think of it this way

You care about your family(america) then your friends(allies) then strangers (every one else)
    There is nothing about Americans that make us special. We live in a certaint part of the world. Wahoo. I know a whole bunch of people that are idiots (and Americans). Nothing special about them, except that they live in America.

It is not the soldiers fault it's a war....people will always die in wars.
    Fine. In that case, you should be getting angry at George Bush and his all those damn lying politicians that got us into this, because it's their fault. And when soldiers kill people, it is their responsibility. Perhaps it was the right thing to do. But it is still them that pulled the trigger, and the blame is on their shoulders as well.

It is a war there will be accidents and a few crimes....there is no way to change that.....MAYBE INSTEAD OF CARING ABOUT THE INSURGENT you should care about the american children who were turned into orphans because of that insurgent you seem to like so much.
    A. There is no proof that he is an insurgent.
    B. Perhaps he felt he was protecting those little kids by fighting Americans. Would you be all happy if France invaded to over throw George Bush and liberate us?
    C. American kid, Iraqi kid, they are all innocent kids whose life is really screwed up because of the morons who cause wars.
    D. Someone being a soldier does not make them special in my eyes. They are no better or worse than a normal person, because they are normal people.
    E. If the man killed was a terrorist (different from an insurgent, mind), then he was an evil bastard. And if on the extremely unlikely chance that some soldier killed him for no reason, than that soldier is a bastard (it is unlikely, but certaintly possible, as Red pointed out). If he was trying to kill the soldier, than that is justified.
    F. But in the end, regardless of whether the fathers were bastards, the children really are, and that is a sad thing, no matter what.

Red and Gawain, thanks for your views. I don't agree with you always, or often, but its nice (well, sort of, if you know what I mean...) to know that people who have seen combat are still affected by things like this.
    Last edited by Steppe Merc; 08-16-2005 at 02:18.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Blog Entries

War sucks. Deal with it. Accidents happen, and an incident like that where I shot an innocent and left his children abandoned would haunt me for the rest of my life.

The picture itself doesn't necessarily bring about any emotions though.

By the way, I thought I would ask:

How do pictures like this make you feel?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

The one of the guy jumping out of the building effected me the most..... I heard people did that on 911.... but never saw a clear picture of it.

Those pictures make me glad that afghanistan was attacked.
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    its nice (well, sort of, if you know what I mean...) to know that people who have seen combat are still affected by things like this.
    And what about me? I've seen plenty of death. Had a Marine die right in front of me after his drunk buddy smashed in his guts via vehicle (his blood pumping in and out during CPR like a jelly donut). Also held an innocent girl's warm-blooded fresh corpse in my arms while her best friend screamed in the background and her other best friend sat behind her with no forehead (just blood pouring into her eyes). Or how about all the amputees I've seen in Afghanistan? Or wait, what about being shot at and driving through minefields and ambush points?

None of that qualifies me to speak on the horrors of violence?

Steppe Merc, I know you are a relatively open guy with left-leanings, but it is not the left who feels the pain. They "imagine" the pain. And there is no comparison, I assure you.

I've prayed. I've cared.

And it is not that I am dead or cold to human suffering. Instead I am realistic about it. And I understand that a million dead terrorists are not worth a single dead American. It is our true, heartfelt idealism and desire for peace that seperates the West from the prehistoric mindset of these thugs.

We want peace. But we are willing to kill in order to obtain a just and lasting peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    The one of the guy jumping out of the building effected me the most..... I heard people did that on 911.... but never saw a clear picture of it.

Those pictures make me glad that afghanistan was attacked.

I imagine that his family would recognize him. Wouldn't you?

I don't need to wonder how his wife and parents felt.

Instead I ACT so that my fellow countrymen will never feel what his wife felt when she saw this picture for the first time.

I think that we in this thread actually caught the "violence spiral". Revenge after revenge. Stereotyping of enemy. Everyone is guilty and everyone is innocent. The hard part will be to mend the relationship between the enemies. I think that the first step to reconicilation and peace is to forgive and to feel for ALL victims in a conflict. Something most people on both sides in this thread seems to be inable to do..... Sad really......

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I do feel sorry for the kids they did nothing but tragides like this happen on both sides ie Sep 11 there is no sense trying to figure out whose right or who is wrong (unless the soldier shot him in cold blood then he should be tried but Im willing to give him the benift of the doubt)because both parties made a snap desicion at the time War is hell and there is no getting around
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 08-16-2005 at 04:03.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    I think that we in this thread actually caught the "violence spiral". Revenge after revenge. Stereotyping of enemy. Everyone is guilty and everyone is innocent. The hard part will be to mend the relationship between the enemies. I think that the first step to reconicilation and peace is to forgive and to feel for ALL victims in a conflict. Something most people on both sides in this thread seems to be inable to do..... Sad really......
    A non-partisan comment.

But I stand by my former statements.

Yeah I'm pissed when I see that, I don't blame the soldiers, war is hell and things go wrong. Maybe a new guy panicked, maybe the guy reached for something that looked like a gun, maybe it actually was a gun. It just makes me pissed at leaders who start wars, or make wars neccesary. Bush, Saddam, Rumsfeld, Reagan, Clinton, The Ayahtola, The Shah, the CIA, Carter. Because they're screwing around in power, because of them we have to fight wars, and people die and children are left with nothing. Makes one angry at them all.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    She is probably crying because the soldiers to daddy the insurgent away I dont feel sorry at all.
    Our troops can never be wrong so we are never sorry, huh? That is fascism, ceasar.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob
    Yeah I'm pissed when I see that, I don't blame the soldiers, war is hell and things go wrong. Maybe a new guy panicked, maybe the guy reached for something that looked like a gun, maybe it actually was a gun. It just makes me pissed at leaders who start wars, or make wars neccesary. Bush, Saddam, Rumsfeld, Reagan, Clinton, The Ayahtola, The Shah, the CIA, Carter. Because they're screwing around in power, because of them we have to fight wars, and people die and children are left with nothing. Makes one angry at them all.
    The first war I was involved in was in grade three, at age 9. The snowplows had made a rather large hill of snow and the high school kids decided the younger kids couldn't play on it. There were about twenty of them, 14 to 16 years old. About a hundred kids from the little school got together and swarmed them. We took the hill!

War is an aspect of what we are, and IMO it evades the truth about human nature to blame it on our leaders. The anti-war slogan “What if they threw a war and nobody came?” Well, it has a germ of truth to it. Somebody always comes. War is not something brought about by the evil designs of a 'Dr Evil'. War is something that men do, and have been doing at least since recorded history began. This should tell us something about ourselves.

Our leaders? Well they lead, and we follow.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The first war I was involved in was in grade three, at age 9. The snowplows had made a rather large hill of snow and the high school kids decided the younger kids couldn't play on it. There were about twenty of them, 14 to 16 years old. About a hundred kids from the little school got together and swarmed them. We took the hill!
    What would happen if someone was really wounded or died in your "war"? Would the other side cheer?
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Sexy (and violent) images hurt your eyesight

Most of the images were landscape or architectural scenes, but the psychologists included a few emotionally charged images, portraying violent or sexually provocative scenes.

The closer these emotionally charged images occurred prior to the target image, the more frequently people failed to spot the target image, the researchers found.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

What would happen if someone was really wounded or died in your "war"? Would the other side cheer?
    In war you cheer because your alive and the enemy is dead. The rush of adrenalin and as they say the thrill of battle take over. Again when the fightings done and you go see what actually happened and that realpeople are dead there is no joy. In fact many are haunted by this for the rest of their lives. Again give our soldiers their due. Their not heartless inhumane killing machines. Not even Div Its they I feel sorry for.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Only the weak are affected by such visuals. If a person did not know the tradgedy of war before they saw the picture, he is simply too sheltered and shouldnt even be allowed to hold an opinion on war, as he knows so little about it.
    I beg to differ. Having been to war and seen firsthand its tragedy, I can assure you that I am not affected by that picture simply because I am too sheltered or ignorant to "even be allowed to hold an opinion on war." Nor am I only affected by it because I am weak, as you postulated.

Allow me to affer an alternative postulate: only the borderline sociopathic have absolutely no emotional response to a picture of children crying because their parents have just been shot to death.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Then you also know Goof that few are affectted more negativly than the soldiers who had to shoot their father and witness the children crying.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    You sound as someone who has never even been to a war zone, let alone fought in it.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    In war you cheer because your alive and the enemy is dead. The rush of adrenalin and as they say the thrill of battle take over. Again when the fightings done and you go see what actually happened and that realpeople are dead there is no joy. In fact many are haunted by this for the rest of their lives. Again give our soldiers their due. Their not heartless inhumane killing machines. Not even Div Its they I feel sorry for.
    Know what, Gawain? You are absolutely right.

However, in this instance it may have been the adrenalin that got the father shot. It is impossible for a soldier to determine in a split second whether something or someone presents a clear and present danger - his training takes over and he always sides on the one of caution (shoot first, ask questions later).

The original example posted simply asked if it had an effect on us. It did for me, I feel empathy for the children. But, not given the entire story of what occured (and the why and wherefore of it) leaves me more curious about it, than disturbed that the husband was purportedly shot. This photo is not worth a 1,000 words, but a 100 questions.

The diversity of opinions concerning it, and that someone felt it necessary to include pictures of 9/11 to stress his point about how seeing an image can force recall issues - demonstrates the absoluteness of somes position concerning the deaths of the innocent. The people that scare me most are those that proclaim they feel nothing when they see such images of Iraqi civilians being shot. Mores the pity for them to assume that our soldiers are always right and anyone that gets in their way wrong.

Right now, turning in your neighbor, or someone you dislike (whether they are or have done anything against the "peace" in Iraq) is a game. Our military is smart enough to do a cursory investigation into allegations before storming the homes of Iraqis'. But, the thing is when a people live in fear and armed men come in and tell them to hide this or that - or else, what choice do they have? Go to the Americans, and assure the deaths of their families by the thugs living clandestintly? We can't prejudge, and yet our troops are put in a position to do so on A daily basis. It is their job, and it will be their nightmares when they are wrong - for some .... even when they are right.

To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

I tought this threads question was:How much do pictures like this effect you?To look at he picture and then tell how do you feel.Now it has turned into who do you feel sorry more Children of Iraqi rebels or US soldiers.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    It is their job, and it will be their nightmares when they are wrong - for some .... even when they are right.

How true is everything you just wrote - especially the last part. Killing another human being in wartime - even from the distance that I was involved with - leaves you with memories that are sometimes very hard to face.

Then there are the memories of policing the battlefield.

Sometimes war is necessary - and Yes I still believe the war in Iraq was necessary - but one should be very careful on not having any empthay toward the innocent victims of war - and sometimes even your enemy. Because to lose your empthay toward them - means you are losing your humanity.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Then you also know Goof that few are affectted more negativly than the soldiers who had to shoot their father and witness the children crying.
    Agreed. I would bet that those soldiers, whether they acted completely within the rules of war or not when (if they actually did) shoot the parents, have just bought themselves about ten or fifteen years on the couch because of seeing the effects of their actions on the children.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    Probably! At least at first they would. Small kids aren't made of sugar and spice, and everything nice.

We are fascinated by war. This forum is dedicated to Rome: Total War, Medieval: Total War, Shogun: Total War, etc. Did our leaders force us to come here!

I am not saying war is a good thing, but it is a human thing. Our leaders are not to blame. We are!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

War probably is a human thing. But would the people still do it without anyone at all to follow into war? Some, certaintly, but as many?

And about the effects on the soldiers, I have been reading some pretty disturbing articales about the effects of war lately. I've always wondered why people farther back (I know WW1 and 2 had Post Tramatic Stress victims), but why not say the Medieval knights or Parthian cataphracts? Were they just used to it, since most saw far more warfare than any modern soldier, or was it never recongnized? Or both? And what about the less trained fighters who weren't raised from birth to be warriors? Or was it because back then, warfare wasn't nearly as horrid? Or was it, just different?

I hate when I start thinking about weird things like this.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

This has actually turned into quite an interesting(and honest from sevaral posters) thread .

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evil_maniac from mars
    The world isn't fair. I learned that a long time ago, and it prevents me getting too worked up about the picture. Besides, in my beliefs, if the parents where good people, they have nothing to fear, as they're probably in Heaven.
    The world is not fair, it is our job to make it more so. To say that something is not fair and that is ok is to be part of the problem not the solution. Nor does it matter if they go to Heaven, we are talking about the here and now.

Saying this I look to trends in things getting better, not absolute standards.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast