Thread: More good news coming out of Korea

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default More good news coming out of Korea

I don't know where this is going to lead - but its a postive sign to a better relationship between the two Korea's.

Eleven North Koreans paid a courtesy call to the Assembly Speaker, which marked the first-ever North Korean visit to the South's parliament in Yeouido, Seoul, since the division of the peninsula six decades ago.
    http://www.kois.go.kr/News/News/News...no=20050816017

And then there is this one

http://www.kois.go.kr/news/news/news...102&SearchDay=
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Default Re: More good news coming out of Korea

More likely Kim is trying to buy more time for the developement of his nuclear program - but, wouldn't it be nice if they suddenly changed their attitude.

One thing, the Souths' government has been very patient with Kim - from my experience there in 67-68' I find it amazing (felt we were there as much to keep the ROK troops from invading the North, as vice versa). Still, 40 years is a long time - and it has been 50 years since the end of formal hostilities. Who knows, but we do know that Kim could change his mind tomorrow.

You might be interested in viewing a Korean film (not bad - really) about the "Police Action". It won acclaim there and elsewhere. "Tae Guk GI - the brotherhood of war". Believe me, the South has not forgotten (or entirely forgiven) what happened 50 years ago. Btw, the film can be viewed dubbed in english, or with sub-titles. Is worth a look.

Hope for peace springs eternal. Eh, Red?
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    More likely Kim is trying to buy more time for the developement of his nuclear program - but, wouldn't it be nice if they suddenly changed their attitude.

One thing, the Souths' government has been very patient with Kim - from my experience there in 67-68' I find it amazing (felt we were there as much to keep the ROK troops from invading the North, as vice versa). Still, 40 years is a long time - and it has been 50 years since the end of formal hostilities. Who knows, but we do know that Kim could change his mind tomorrow.

You might be interested in viewing a Korean film (not bad - really) about the "Police Action". It won acclaim there and elsewhere. "Tae Guk GI - the brotherhood of war". Believe me, the South has not forgotten (or entirely forgiven) what happened 50 years ago. Btw, the film can be viewed dubbed in english, or with sub-titles. Is worth a look.

Hope for peace springs eternal. Eh, Red?
    I enjoyed my tour in Korea - and while I believe its sometimes necessary to fight wars - I always pray for peace.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I pray for peace as well. I loved my year there; the Korean people are the greatest people I've ever met.
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

I just don't see a Korean conflict happening, short of Kim getting nukes. Maybe Kim is softening a little (Although I doubt it). I hope a peaceful reunification of Korea happens in my lifetime.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I think the North Korea nuclear programme has more to do with extracting aid concessions from the rest of the world and discouraging an invasion than any agressive ambitions.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    I enjoyed my tour in Korea - and while I believe its sometimes necessary to fight wars - I always pray for peace.
    Time makes a difference. My brothers both spent time there on FTXs - both in the mid-70s (Marine and USAF, respectively - they found out later they were in the same one) and the later was also there when one of our officers was hacked to death at Panmunjan (ms) - he was there for another FTX.

When I dropped in there it looked almost like what I had left in 'nam, only without the jungles (it was only 14 or so years after the war and since that land had been napalmed from one end to the other there were few tall trees), it was still very primative. Dongduchon (the "village" I was stationed near) still had an outhouse system - imagine the scent in summer. Anyone that has smelled a "honey bucket" (a hole where farmers kept human refuse for fertilizing their rice fields - paddies) knows exactly what I am talking about. Can still see the cherries (dessert) from my dinner in the middle of the road after I first experienced one - two vets grabbed my arms and marched me thru it ("Don't worry, you'll get use to it." - Gah! use to it.)

My bro, that was there in the 80's said I wouldn't recognize it - Korea (I mean maybe >1% owned a car or truck and A-frames were still the main toll for moving heavy objects - or gathering wood, the main source of warmth for the rural areas). Plus, there now exists a freeway running to the North - before it was just a 2 lane dirt path that passed thru the "Chinese tunnel".

So, yeah, things have changed tremendously in the South. As have attitudes. 40 years has a tendancy to do that in a free society (which it wasn't when I was there - Park still reigned). Also, there were over 500 "incidents" (incursions by the North) when I was there - and a few instigated by the South (after one of our patrols on the DMZ was nearly annihilated - one kid survived by playing dead, even tho they began to cut off his finger for his ring; a battalion of ROK crossed to the North and ambushed one of their camps. Don't bother trying to find it in any history, it was covered up, - the only reason I know about it is that a SF friend of mine was attached to them.). Btw, I was there when they attacked and kidnapped one of our capital ships - the Pueblo - very scarey time to be sure.

Point is, the unification process maybe in motion. It may even become a reality - once Kim is deposed or dies. But, for the moment I remain a skeptic on anything that Kim initiates - remember the North was in talks on economic reunification when they attacked the South the last time.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.