Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nato is taking American Money!!!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Nato is taking American Money!!!

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=2976&sequence=4

I heard that Europe had lower university costs than America because they didn't need to maintain a large military. Becuase (drum roll)
    America pays most of it. We are the muscle behind North Atlantic Treaty Organization! We are the largest contributer followed by Germany, then the United Kingdom.

Our tax dollars are being spent to be the big dog behind the treaty.
    Come on France, give a bit more!
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Re: Nato is taking American Money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat

I heard that Europe had lower university costs than America because they didn't need to maintain a large military. Becuase (drum roll)
    America pays most of it.
    That, and Europe has higher taxes.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

We've flipped the bill for continental Europe's lifestyle for ages. If we hadn't neutralized the threat of conquest by their own neighbors, they'd still be having to fund their own defenses (or speaking the Fatherland's tongue) instead of spending all their money on health care systems and public education.

At least they're grateful about it, though. /sarcasm

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

France, which does not participate in NATO's integrated military command, opts out of many activities funded through the common budgets
    Also consider the per capita population...

Approx:
    USA 250 million
    EU 450 million
    So the USAs share would be about a third based on per capita...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I must agree with this poster on this comment....

Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    Wow. That's the biggest load of revisionist BS i've seen this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Also consider the per capita population...

Approx:
    USA 250 million
    EU 450 million
    So the USAs share would be about a third based on per capita...
    If US can't afford it, why not just exit and stop whining ??

On a per capita basis these countries pay more than the US does.

Belgium
    Canada We have 10% of the American population and are paying 4.8 of the total while you only pay 25.2% you cheap deadbeats! DO YOUR SHARE!
    France If France was as cheap as you they would only be paying 5%. They pay more than their share at 7.9%. If you paid as much as they do on a per capita basis, you would be paying 39.5%.
    Denmark
    Germany
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Norway
    United Kingdom
    Denmark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Curse our intervention in World War Two!

Anyway, being as NATO hasn't done **** for the US...ever...I say we pull out, supply the Russians with up-to-date nuclear weapons and let them loose.I also say we demand back all money owed to us from WWII, WWI, etc, as well as any other donations we made, being as most of Europe refuses to aid us in the War in Iraq. If they refuse, well, tough ****, EMBARGO... Anyways, we can then pull out of Iraq, let the Brits handle it, station 100,000 Soldiers on Taiwan, and send Europe a big FU.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia

Anyway, being as NATO hasn't done **** for the US...ever...I say we pull out, supply the Russians with up-to-date nuclear weapons and let them loose.I also say we demand back all money owed to us from WWII, WWI, etc, as well as any other donations we made, being as most of Europe refuses to aid us in the War in Iraq. If they refuse, well, tough ****, EMBARGO... Anyways, we can then pull out of Iraq, let the Brits handle it, station 100,000 Soldiers on Taiwan, and send Europe a big FU.
    ... Kaiser, do I really need to repeat what Don said earlier this week?

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Well that's yankee rant...
    Born On The Flames

*removes toung from cheek* here's a pinch of salt Azi.

Why do you hate Freedom?

What is this talking about US saving Europe in WWII and in Cold war.Firstly half of the European countries were your enemies in WWII.In Cold war again half of the European countries were in the Warsaw pact against you.Europa was an puffer zone between USA an Soviet Union,a battlefield if it would have been necessary.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Anyways, we can then pull out of Iraq, let the Brits handle it, station 100,000 Soldiers on Taiwan, and send Europe a big FU.
    You could start with recognizing Taiwan as a country, chickens.....

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Who do you suppose is financing Dubya's debt? China and Europe, by buying U.S. treasury bonds. We are in hock up to our eye teeth to China and Europe. If you think that doesn't have a huge effect on our foreign policy, then I have a really nice bridge to sell you.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    I'm normally an Isolationist,
    Duh !!

Whether I should be amazed or amused, is beyond me. Anyway, I got the free university and even get $900 pr month to study there, so naannaan nah nah
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Nato is taking American Money!!!

Huhu, I'm glad the common US taxpayer founds my free education and healthcare system

Member Member william the bastard's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Nato is taking American Money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Huhu, I'm glad the common US taxpayer founds my free education and healthcare system
    All more fun than France leave NATO for a while just military co operation, not really a full menber
    Sorry for my French

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat

America pays most of it. We are the muscle behind North Atlantic Treaty Organization! We are the largest contributer followed by Germany, then the United Kingdom.

Come on France, give a bit more!
    Well, as others have said before, perhaps it's fair to divide the contribution by population? Rhode Island doesn't contribute as much to your federal budget as California does either, does it?

France with 60 million inhabitans pays 7.9%
    The USA, nearly 300 million, pays 25.2%

Let's divide 300 by 60: 5. And next 25.2% by 5: 5.04%

So a French citizen pays roughly 60% more than an American. Despite that burden we still have enough money left to fund an educational system that teaches us how to make a simple calculation like this.

Oh, and if you're jealous of lower university costs then stop equalling tax with theft. It's not America who pays for our universities, but European taxpayers. American universities rely more heavily on private funding.

This has nothing to do with military spending but with whether you prefer equal educational opportunities for all - or four SUV's for the rich while the middle class struggles to pay for their children's education.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

I also say we demand back all money owed to us from WWII, WWI, etc, as well as any other donations we made, being as most of Europe refuses to aid us in the War in Iraq. If they refuse, well, tough ****, EMBARGO
    All the debts from WW1 were paid, reason of the WW2, by the way (one of, by domino effect).
    WW2, France got none, invaded by Germany, remember…
    Marshall Plan was pay back, in access for military bases and other facilities.
    In Iraq we were told that the reconstruction will be paid by itself, in petrol funds… Oh, if some US companies give a little bit of their benefits and didn’t sell petrol and goods to the US army for outraged prices, perhaps it will help. Or was it another “I was told by my advisors and I made the mistake to believe them”?

Embargo: With whom US will trade then? China, Russia… If I read well some comments on their common military exercises, some wanted bombed them… Difficult to trade after… Europe will have to turn to East. Well US will have to trade with, well, what left…

We, guys, are never happy. You are bashing France, denying her any importance (remember French Victories things) and cry because France doesn’t want to sent troops which are, according to you, useless and weak. So France having any substantial forces, how US can fund inexistent items. Be logical… Are the Polish, Slovenian and other New European Forces not enough? Oh, they need the EU funding to pay their new US airplanes… I always forgot…
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

To be fair, you picked the wrong statistic from that site. The common budget you posted amounts to only $1.1 billion out of a total of $470 billion that the NATO countries spend on defense each year.

The total contributions can be found here.

Sorry, the table below is a bit of a mess.

TABLE A-1.
    DEFENSE SPENDING AS A PERCENTAGE OF GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT IN SELECTED YEARS, 1980-2000
    1980 1985 1990 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium 3.3 3.0 2.4 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.5 1.4 1.4
    Canada 1.9 2.2 2.0 1.5 1.4 1.2 1.3 1.3 1.2
    Czech Republicb n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. 2.2 2.3
    Denmark 2.4 2.2 2.0 1.7 1.7 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.5
    France 4.0 4.1 3.6 3.1 3.0 2.9 2.8 2.7 2.7
    Germany 3.3 3.2 2.8 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.5 1.5
    Greece 5.7 7.1 5.8 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.8 4.9
    Hungaryb n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. 1.6 1.7
    Italy 2.4 2.7 2.1 1.8 1.9 2.0 2.0 2.0 1.9
    Luxembourg 1.0 1.1 1.1 0.8 0.8 0.8 0.8 0.8 0.7
    Netherlands 3.1 3.1 2.7 2.0 1.9 1.8 1.7 1.8 1.6
    Norway 2.9 3.3 3.2 2.4 2.2 2.1 2.3 2.2 1.9
    Polandb n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. n.a. 2.0 2.0
    Portugal 3.5 3.1 3.1 2.6 2.4 2.4 2.2 2.2 2.2
    Spainc n.a. 2.7 1.8 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.3 1.3 1.3
    Turkey 4.7 4.5 4.9 3.9 4.1 4.1 4.4 5.4 6.0
    United Kingdom 5.0 5.3 4.0 3.0 3.0 2.7 2.7 2.5 2.4
    United States 5.1 6.7 5.7 3.8 3.5 3.3 3.1 3.0 3.0

NATO Average 3.5 3.6 3.1 2.4 2.3 2.3 2.3 2.2 2.2
    NATO European Averaged 3.4 3.5 3.0 2.3 2.3 2.3 2.3 2.3 2.3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's compare again, shall we? If we disregard the quite poor countries Turkey and Greece, he USA indeed contributes the largest percentage of it's GDP to our common security.
    The US at 3% spends a whopping ten percent more than France at 2.7% on defence. (Wow, so that explains our great educational system!)
    It may surprise you that France is second. Above your staunch allies the British.

What this list doesn't include, is money spend on foreign aid, development and peacekeeping operations. On which Europe pays a far, far larger amount than America. Clicky

France: 0.42% of GDP.
    USA: 0.16% of GDP.

Let's add them up to defense spending:
    France 2.7% + 0.42% = 3.12%
    USA 3% + 0.16% = 3.16%

That's the total each of us pays for peace and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Murat
    I heard that Europe had lower university costs than America because they didn't need to maintain a large military. Becuase (drum roll) America pays most of it.

You need to talk to the people who told you this nonsense. Your tax dollars aren't being spent to be the big dog, they just aren't spend on higher education for all. Because (drum roll) American tax payers refuse to pay for it.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Alright heres what we do 400ft wall around gods greatest gift (America) give the finger to the euros watch china take over and eat mcdonalds and drink cheap beer until we pass out...Excellent
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Alright heres what we do 400ft wall around gods greatest gift (America) give the finger to the euros watch china take over and eat mcdonalds and drink cheap beer until we pass out...Excellent
    Would this wall be based upon the wall in China that was designed to save it?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Yes but china made 1 mistake theres didnt go all the way around
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

So a French citizen pays roughly 60% more than an American
    Wow so they have to pay 20% more to protect themselves than we do to protect them. Why are we paying to defend you at all is the point.

It most be for all the grattitude we recieve.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

So we bomb the Russians, piss-off the Chinese by stationing a 100, 000 troops on Taiwan, demand money from europe and japan, EMBARGO Europe, and leave Britain holding the bag for an American war!

Kaiser have you been reading the wrong books again?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

No, no, give bombs to russia.

Why do you hate Freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Wow so they have to pay 20% more to protect themselves than we do to protect them. Why are we paying to defend you at all is the point.

It most be for all the grattitude we recieve.
    NATO is mutual - we pay for your safety - and you pay for ours. That's the point of an alliance, to stand together and defend each other. It sounds like you don't want to be our allies, tho.
    Last edited by Sjakihata; 08-21-2005 at 18:47.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

No, no, give bombs to russia.
    You were suggesting giving them some bombs here as well, but not in quite the same way.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...0&postcount=25
    -- John Stewart Mills

LORD ACTON

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    We'd have to leave at least one open door -- to import the extra needed heart surgeons to combat your lifestyle suggestions.

The US Government spends less than most Euro governments on education, and its not because we're funding their defense. It's because education is NOT a function of government. I say privatize the whole blessed thing -- not just university. Why should my taxes pay to force someone who prefers ignorance to waste time in an attempt at learning? 19% of our country's adults never completed their High School education (University Prep or Trade/Vocation Schooling to those of you in other education systems), so let's figure out what to do better with our own tax money rather than attempting to "bitch-slap" Europeans for having a different system than we do. I'm far from a Europhile, but the cost of education in the US does not hinge on the defense spending of Belgium.

SF
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast